388 replies to this topic

#1 Bond Bombshell

Bond Bombshell

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 461 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 07:17 PM

I've just been reading about this new american TV show over at The Saint Club, where its similarities to the Saint have been highlighted, and I've also been watching some clips. It looks like it could be a fun show. It concerns an ex CIA agent played by Jeffrey Donovan who is forced to operate outside of the law after being blacklisted by his former employer. While he attempts to find out why he was fired, he helps people along the way using his special training. (Shades of The Equalizer, but more tongue-in-cheek). I'd tune in every week just to watch his feisty irish colleague, played by gorgeous Brit Gabrielle Anwar. The last time I saw her she was romping with Henry Cavill in The Tudors.

Has anyone seen this show yet in the US, and is it any good in your opinion?

#2 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 08:13 PM

It's very similar to The Saint imo. I love Burn Notice, good action and hilarious dialogue. If you ever get the chance you really should give it a look.

#3 doublenoughtspy

doublenoughtspy

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4122 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 01:18 AM

I enjoy the show (as does my girlfriend and my mom) but I don't get a Saint vibe from it at all.

I agree that it has more in common with the Equalizer - but with more humor. It is billed as an action comedy.

#4 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 02:40 PM

Burn Notice is one of the shows (House and 24) that is on my must watch list. Well written and well acted, so check it out.

#5 yolt13

yolt13

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 259 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 02:44 PM

Fun show that treats the spy stuff in a realistic and serious way but derives a lot of humor from the characters and performances. The supporting cast is the real strength of the show, with Bruce Campbell(!), Sharon Gless, and the gorgeous Gabrielle Anwar all delivering plenty of laughs every episode. There are similarities to the Saint, but not so many that one is likely to automatically make the connection.

#6 dodge

dodge

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5068 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 03:01 PM

I love the show and have only one quibble I'll get to in a second. The Big pluses are: an accomplished lead actor whose equally good at drama, action and comedy...really clever McIver-style tech stuff...interesting stories....great supporting cast...and well-written dialogue.

My quibble: they've started filming the fight scenes--I mean, every bloomin' one of 'em--in...what is it called, stop-gap motion? Flash--he swings! Flash--he connects! Flash--the dude goes down! That may be easier for them to film--and easier on the budget--but, sorry, for me it's a cop-out. A major league bummer for a really great show.

#7 Bond Bombshell

Bond Bombshell

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 461 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 12:08 AM

Thanks everyone for the replies. I'll definitely keep an eye out for this in the UK. It looks like the kind of show that will probably end up on satellite eventually. I hope it doesn't get cancelled in the meantime.

#8 LadySylvia

LadySylvia

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1299 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 01:42 AM

Fun show that treats the spy stuff in a realistic and serious way but derives a lot of humor from the characters and performances. The supporting cast is the real strength of the show, with Bruce Campbell(!), Sharon Gless, and the gorgeous Gabrielle Anwar all delivering plenty of laughs every episode. There are similarities to the Saint, but not so many that one is likely to automatically make the connection.

Yes, the show has a strong supporting cast. But I also feel that its leading actor, Jeffrey Donovan is a real find. I remember him from a first-class episode of MONK and the movie, HITCH.

#9 Shadow Syndicate

Shadow Syndicate

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 648 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 04:45 AM

Great show. But like everyone else said, it leans more towards humourous than gritty. example, barely anyone dies.

#10 dbond15

dbond15

Cadet

• Crew
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 05:02 AM

a very great show anyone who loves to watch james bond would surely love this show

#11 MarcAngeDraco

MarcAngeDraco

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3312 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 10:16 AM

It's a little light for my personal taste, but can be rather amusing. Definitely worth checking out anyway.

#12 Publius

Publius

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3225 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 03:07 PM

Hmm, I'm pleasantly surprised to see such positive reception. I have yet to watch it, but initially wrote it off as one of those short-lived, cliche-ridden (and not even in a funny way) spy shows that pops up every so often. I was going to catch it when I had a chance, however, if only for Bruce Campbell being part of it.

#13 Professor Dent

Professor Dent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5326 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 12:26 AM

It is definitely worth checking out. I've seen the first three episodes & already added it to my TiVo season pass list. It has some good humor & pretty realistic spy craft. For a USA Network show, it seems to be well produced too. I don't get The Saint connection vibe from it, though.

#14 yolt13

yolt13

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 259 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 03:13 AM

barely anyone dies.

Which actually makes it far more realistic than most cop/spy shows & movies, since one can't really go around killing people and blowing things up and still expect to walk around free week after week.

On a very important side note...

Gabrielle Anwar's Fiona = Hottest female character on TV today, period!

#15 LadySylvia

LadySylvia

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1299 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 08:24 PM

Great show. But like everyone else said, it leans more towards humourous than gritty. example, barely anyone dies.

What's wrong with light and humorous?

#16 darkpath

darkpath

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2688 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 11:02 PM

I have it straight from the marketing team for the show that it has definitely been renewed. :cooltongue:

#17 doublenoughtspy

doublenoughtspy

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4122 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 11:16 PM

I have it straight from the marketing team for the show that it has definitely been renewed. :cooltongue:

USA Weekend broke that news last month, in a Sharon Gless piece.

#18 darkpath

darkpath

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2688 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 11:35 PM

USA Weekend broke that news last month, in a Sharon Gless piece.

Cool! I hadn't seen anything in the press at all, and I saw some discussion under other topics asking what the status of the show was, so I took it upon myself to reach out to my contacts in the USA marketing team. These are the same ladies I reported the glitch in one of the games on the Burn Notice site (the game where you see which of the characters you're most like).

#19 Double-0-7

Double-0-7

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3629 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 11:58 PM

Wherever it came from, this is certainly good news.

A big thanks to Darkpath who brightened up a dreary day by calling to tell me my favorite new show was being renewed!

#20 Cruiserweight

Cruiserweight

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6815 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 12:08 AM

I've seen the show and i really don't like it.

#21 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 03:00 AM

I think the show is quite fun. Looking forward to season 2

#22 Spurrier

Spurrier

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 356 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 03:49 AM

I don't know if its like The Saint. But Jeffrey Donavan has one trait that is similar to Roger Moore: he looks much younger than he actually is.

#23 dodge

dodge

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5068 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 06:39 PM

I don't know if its like The Saint. But Jeffrey Donavan has one trait that is similar to Roger Moore: he looks much younger than he actually is.

You're right. You inspired me to check on this--and he's 39. Who'd have guessed? :cooltongue:

#24 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 06:59 PM

Season finale is tonight I believe. Looking forward to it. :cooltongue:

#25 OHMSS Spion

OHMSS Spion

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 244 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 08:46 PM

I can't believe I have to wait almost a whole year until the next season of this show. It's pretty much my favorite show on the air right now.

#26 Professor Dent

Professor Dent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5326 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 12:44 AM

I thought the two hour finale was really good. Loved the Knight Rider-esque ending. :cooltongue: It's a shame we have to wait almost a year until season 2 hits. Looks like they are running a schedule similar to what FX does with The Shield & Rescue Me.

#27 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 01:00 AM

Loved the ending, great first season, cant wait for the summer.

#28 OHMSS Spion

OHMSS Spion

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 244 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 03:39 AM

I actually haven't seen the season finale yet. Anyone know when they're going to replay it?

#29 Professor Dent

Professor Dent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5326 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 02:07 AM

I actually haven't seen the season finale yet. Anyone know when they're going to replay it?

They did show it again the Saturday after it originally aired. The USA website only has a schedule up through the end of October. If they continue to air one a week, looks like it will be on again around the end of November or beginning of December.

#30 Double-0-7

Double-0-7

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3629 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 02:16 AM

I was glad to hear it was picked up for another year and really enjoyed the season finale. Sidekick Sam (Bruce Campbell) is one of the high points on the show. His reparte with the baddies was hilarious!