388 replies to this topic

#361 killkenny kid

killkenny kid

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6607 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 12:35 AM

Nice magic trick Micheal pulled, with his watch moving from one arm to the other in the car.

It is part of Spy Training 101. I have seen Bryce do that a few times while holding martinis :)

lol, wait until you see him do it with a walther ppk. :D

#362 Professor Dent

Professor Dent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5326 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 11:43 PM

Just finished watching the two part finale & really enjoyed it. I do have to echo that it is a bit unbelievable that no one was hit with the copious amounts of bullets being fired - not even a vest hit. Still, it's one great show. Now, let the agonizing wait until June begin. :D

#363 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 02:29 AM

What's great about Burn Notice is that it's so much fun that the lack of logic really doesn't matter. It's just a light, breezy show that has some pretty excellent actors and stunt work. June can't come soon enough (seriously, it just snowed).

#364 Chief of SIS

Chief of SIS

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 04:03 AM

I love that about USA. There shows barely take themselves seriously. The episodes of most their programming have just a pinch of over-arching plot. Just enough to bring you back for some more but you'd come back anyways because you had so much fun in a single episode. At least there is White Collar between now and June.

#365 Tybre

Tybre

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3057 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 02:04 AM

Thought the season premier was pretty great. Felt like it breezed by though, which is both good and bad. Can't wait to see what happens next week.

#366 DR76

DR76

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1673 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 03:19 PM

What did not make sense to me was

Spoiler

I guess Vaughn just likes to shoot first ask questions later. Who would believe a burned spy without actual evidence anyways? Stupid Vaughn.

You're going to assume that Vaughn was "stupid", because you don't really know how he found out that Michael got his hands on the file. That's real smart. Not.

#367 Miles Miservy

Miles Miservy

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 06:10 PM

Burn Notice is one of the shows (House and 24) that is on my must watch list. Well written and well acted, so check it out.

It's quick & rather clever. It's on an obscure network & not too highly promoted. I'm surpirised, yet relieved it hasn't been pulled.

#368 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 04:56 AM

Burn Notice is one of the shows (House and 24) that is on my must watch list. Well written and well acted, so check it out.

It's quick & rather clever. It's on an obscure network & not too highly promoted. I'm surpirised, yet relieved it hasn't been pulled.

Actually Burn Notice is one of the most watched cable shows on TV. Its ratings frequently match and exceed many network shows. USA network (that airs BN in the US) is also the most watched cable channel.

#369 Professor Dent

Professor Dent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5326 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 01:43 PM

Actually Burn Notice is one of the most watched cable shows on TV. Its ratings frequently match and exceed many network shows. USA network (that airs BN in the US) is also the most watched cable channel.

The great thing about networks like USA, A&E, FX, etc, is that they generally produce high quality shows & they stick with them unlike the major networks who will cancel a new show after an episode or two.

Here we are with the 5th season premier of Burn Notice - how time flies! Good episode & I look forward to seeing this CIA story arc play out. I do hope Michael loses the slick backed hair, though. :D

#370 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 02:48 PM

I do hope Michael loses the slick backed hair, though. :D

Agreed. He looks more like one of the greaser "characters" he plays undercover.

#371 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 04:50 AM

I really liked "Burn Notice" a while ago, but I'm finding it really hard to follow the story. The reason being that the Australian broadcaster treated the mid-season finale as the season finale (which it was never intended to be), so when the run of epsiodes ended, Michael had just been in the car accident with Barrett. They recap the plot points in fairly broad strokes, so I've forgetten some of the finer details. I know enough about the coded bible and Jesse being burned, but I can't recall Simon's connection to Michael and Vaughn's role in all of this.

Stupid broadcster.

#372 Ernst Stavro Blofeld Jr.

Ernst Stavro Blofeld Jr.

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 213 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 05:00 PM

In all fairness to the broadcaster, last season was a bit hard to follow for myself as well (and I'm American). Last season just didn't integrate the overall plot very well, and had too much going on that lead to me forgetting bits and pieces and just going with the flow sort to speak.

#373 Santa

Santa

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6445 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 05:28 PM

I'm feeling a bit cautious about this season after last week's premiere. I didn't enjoy it as much as usual.

#374 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 05:52 PM

I'm in Portugal for 2 more weeks so I won't be able to catch Burn Notice for a little while longer, but all I'll say is that last season was pretty mediocre despite a strong final 2 hours. We'll see, I hope they were willing to really switch things up this season. The whole client thing is getting tiresome, they need something different.

#375 Binyamin

Binyamin

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1075 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 06:41 PM

Well, shows aren't meant to go on forever. Hopefully they know when it's run the course, and end it properly. Nothing wrong with that -- Then it's DVD series time.

#376 Chief of SIS

Chief of SIS

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 06:46 PM

I couldn't recall but were they renewed for another season already after this one?

#377 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 10:31 PM

Yes, Burn Notice is going to last at least 6 seasons. My guess it'll last about 7 or 8. Time will tell. The character of Michael Westen is great, and if they were willing to mess with the formula I'm sure they could make the series last a fair amount of time, but for now, the way it's heading, I'd say the series is beyond it's best years.

#378 Chief of SIS

Chief of SIS

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 11:20 PM

Thanks for the answer.

I liked the premiere. It was simple. I watch the show because I don't feel like I have to every week. Perfect summer fun. Honestly, I got lost in the whole scheme of things. I can barely remember how Michael jumping out of the helicopter in, what was that Season 2, had anything to do with the people who burned him. Him being back at the CIA has made it easier for me at least to feel comfortable with the show again. Good stuff.

#379 Professor Dent

Professor Dent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5326 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 11:25 PM

The addition of the Jesse character as a series regular has always been a questionable move to me. Most of the time, he just seems like a fourth wheel to the regular gang. I would bet they will have a few more seasons left in the series before they wrap it. Even a mediocre season of Burn Notice beats just about anything else on network TV these days.

#380 saintca2005

saintca2005

Recruit

• Crew
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 02:36 AM

I've just been reading about this new american TV show over at The Saint Club, where its similarities to the Saint have been highlighted, and I've also been watching some clips. It looks like it could be a fun show. It concerns an ex CIA agent played by Jeffrey Donovan who is forced to operate outside of the law after being blacklisted by his former employer. While he attempts to find out why he was fired, he helps people along the way using his special training. (Shades of The Equalizer, but more tongue-in-cheek). I'd tune in every week just to watch his feisty irish colleague, played by gorgeous Brit Gabrielle Anwar. The last time I saw her she was romping with Henry Cavill in The Tudors.

Has anyone seen this show yet in the US, and is it any good in your opinion?

I

#381 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 07:07 PM

The addition of the Jesse character as a series regular has always been a questionable move to me. Most of the time, he just seems like a fourth wheel to the regular gang.

Season 4 of BN was definitely a low point for the series, and the handling of Jesse and the Burn Notice story arc were contributing factors. This season has been exceptional, though, with a more compelling central plot, a frequent break in formula, a stronger emotional core, and a fantastic edit of Jesse's role, giving him fewer things to do but writing stellar, playful scenes for him and Fiona. Loving it so far. :tup:

#382 Professor Dent

Professor Dent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5326 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 01:25 PM

The show has definitely found a nice groove this season. The CIA assassination frame-up story arc is excellent. I try my best to avoid spoilers & I didn't see that one coming! Moving Jesse to more of a consultant with the group versus an all the time regular seems to fit that character well. All in all, this is a great season.

#383 Brisco

Brisco

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 220 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 02:41 AM

The show has definitely found a nice groove this season. The CIA assassination frame-up story arc is excellent. I try my best to avoid spoilers & I didn't see that one coming! Moving Jesse to more of a consultant with the group versus an all the time regular seems to fit that character well. All in all, this is a great season.

I think they've done a great job reinventing the show this season, too. Last week's episode was one of the best in a long time, and it was great to see Michael overseas on a CIA mission again.

I recently had the pleasure of interviewing Lauren Stamile, who plays Michael's CIA liaison Agent Pearce, for the Double O Section. If you're a fan of this season, be sure to check it out!

Brisco/Tanner

Edited by Brisco, 16 August 2011 - 02:47 AM.

#384 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 02:02 AM

Well the mid-season finale just concluded and I have to say, this has been a phenomenal season of Burn Notice. Cannot wait for November. :tup:

#385 domnule alb

domnule alb

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 26 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 06:26 AM

Thanks everyone for the replies. I'll definitely keep an eye out for this in the UK. It looks like the kind of show that will probably end up on satellite eventually. I hope it doesn't get cancelled in the meantime.

By the look of things, that shouldn't be an issue. I believe I heard a reference to it being one of the most watched shows on cable.

#386 domnule alb

domnule alb

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 26 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 06:37 AM

I've just been reading about this new american TV show over at The Saint Club, where its similarities to the Saint have been highlighted, and I've also been watching some clips. It looks like it could be a fun show. It concerns an ex CIA agent played by Jeffrey Donovan who is forced to operate outside of the law after being blacklisted by his former employer. While he attempts to find out why he was fired, he helps people along the way using his special training. (Shades of The Equalizer, but more tongue-in-cheek). I'd tune in every week just to watch his feisty irish colleague, played by gorgeous Brit Gabrielle Anwar. The last time I saw her she was romping with Henry Cavill in The Tudors.

Has anyone seen this show yet in the US, and is it any good in your opinion?

I'm a devoted watcher of the programme. The show does a really good job of bringing in the Miami setting to things (and one never tires of the random bikini models shown during the intro of many episodes). The overarching storyline is quite good, although I am tiring of the "client" component of most episodes; although,one must accept the ploy given its "television" nature. Bare it mind, I've been watching for years: for a newcomer, you'll not even notice it. Definitely worth a look into.

#387 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 03:58 AM

Okay, this might sound like a silly request, but can someone please explain Season 4's plot to me. As much as I enjoy the show, I'm having a little difficulty understanding it. It's my understanding that Michael was burned by a conspiracy of corrupt officals and spies to recruit him into their organisation (after Simon went over the edge) and take out their enemies - Drake Technologies - for them.

Am I right? If not, can someone please bring me up to speed?

#388 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 04:23 AM

Okay, this might sound like a silly request, but can someone please explain Season 4's plot to me. As much as I enjoy the show, I'm having a little difficulty understanding it. It's my understanding that Michael was burned by a conspiracy of corrupt officals and spies to recruit him into their organisation (after Simon went over the edge) and take out their enemies - Drake Technologies - for them.

Am I right? If not, can someone please bring me up to speed?

Season 4 was pretty terrible. Haven't watched it in a while but as far as seasons go, it was probably the shows worst. I had forgotten about the Drake Tech plot entirely. Think you're on the right track. Bottom line: the organization was set up for spies to operate outside of the red tape of formal governmental operation. Kind of murky altogether TBH. Season 5 is stellar though.

#389 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 05:35 AM

I think the problem with it is that the Drake Technologies just sort of came up. It had been hinted at with Management being unable to control Simon, but it was a bit abrupt and it kind of vanished as soon as it came up.