TheSaint

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3067 posts

Posted 21 January 2005 - 03:54 AM

Ah, that's a relief.

Two questions:

Is the condition of the book acceptable?
Did you enjoy the covering letter?  :)

View Post

The condition is perfectly satisfactory. I loved the cover letter-great idea!

#32 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 21 January 2005 - 04:00 AM

Can we have a big round of applause, everyone, for this man's generosity?

View Post

I, who have been watching this thread, certain can. :) Very kind gestures on your part, Hitch.

#33 wattenscheid09

wattenscheid09

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 130 posts

Posted 21 January 2005 - 12:30 PM

Thanks. It heightens the anticipation, you know. I've heard such opposing things bout it (from "a weak book, merely a shadow" to ("sharp, crisp, without unnecessary Fleming sweep and lots of humour") that I'm really curious.

#34 Hitch

Hitch

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1219 posts

Posted 21 January 2005 - 12:50 PM

TheSaint,

I'm glad everything is OK.

Qwerty,

Thanks very much. I might add that it was the friendly atmosphere at CBn that encouraged me to make the offer.

Wattenscheid09,

I hadn't read TMWTGG for many years and I was curious to find out what my older self thought of the book. There are parts where the book seems a little thin and one or two plot points are weak. However, Fleming is definitely alive (if not very well) in this book. The first chapter gets the book off to a good start, while the chapter called "Pistols" Scaramanga is Fleming at full throttle. If this was ghost-written then the replacement deserves a reward - it is full of the macabre, and is witty and exciting. It's the kind of chapter that lifts Fleming out of the ruck of thriller writers and places him perilously close to the world of "literature". :)

#35 wattenscheid09

wattenscheid09

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 130 posts

Posted 21 January 2005 - 08:04 PM

*drrooool*

#36 Jaws0178

Jaws0178

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1612 posts

Posted 21 January 2005 - 09:43 PM

Hitch, recieved Moonraker. Many thanx. Love the cover letter. Thought it quite cool. Never realized how much gratitude I really owe you. Didn't know you were British. I owe you many thanks. If there is anything this American can ever do for you, let me know.

Thanx again
Todd

Edited by Jaws0178, 21 January 2005 - 09:44 PM.

#37 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 21 January 2005 - 09:48 PM

Qwerty,

Thanks very much. I might add that it was the friendly atmosphere at CBn that encouraged me to make the offer.

View Post

Very glad to hear it. :)

#38 Hitch

Hitch

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1219 posts

Posted 24 January 2005 - 12:47 AM

Jaws0178,

I'm so glad Moonraker arrived safely.

There is something you can do for me: convert the USA to Test Cricket. The matches last five days and often end in a draw, so there's plenty to get excited about. :)

Wattenscheid09,

I have a confession. I've been away for a few days and simply forgot to post TMWTGG. :) Sorry. I shall definitely post it tomorrow. You will just have to keep drooling. Sorry once more.

#39 Jaws0178

Jaws0178

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1612 posts

Posted 24 January 2005 - 04:15 AM

?????????????????????????????????? Sorry, key got stuck :)

Mayhap, I should rephrase. Are you talking the sport?

Todd

Edited by Jaws0178, 24 January 2005 - 04:18 AM.

#40 Hitch

Hitch

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1219 posts

Posted 24 January 2005 - 11:10 AM

Jaws,

I am indeed "talking the sport". Here's a famous explanation of this simple game:

"Cricket, as explained to a foreigner:

You have two sides, one out in the field and one in. Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out. When they are all out, the side that's out comes in and the side that's been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out. Sometimes you get men still in and not out.

When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in. There are two men called umpires who stay out all the time and they decide when the men who are in are out. When both sides have been in and all the men have been out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game."

Simple! :) As your countrymen might say, "What's not to like?" :)

#41 wattenscheid09

wattenscheid09

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 130 posts

Posted 24 January 2005 - 01:12 PM

You forgot the standing-around -in -white -clothes- for- endless- periods- of- time- while-sipping- tea-until- something- finally happens - and- two-people-run-around-hectically part.

Just my two (Euro-)Cents

#42 Jaws0178

Jaws0178

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1612 posts

Posted 24 January 2005 - 08:25 PM

:) I think I need to go lay down. I know what Cricket is, I think. Isn't it that game where there are mallets, and balls and it's kinda like horseshoes with balls?

Todd

Edited by Jaws0178, 24 January 2005 - 08:27 PM.

#43 Hitch

Hitch

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1219 posts

Posted 24 January 2005 - 11:51 PM

Thanks for your thoughtful reply, Todd.

I want my book back. :)

#44 wattenscheid09

wattenscheid09

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 130 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 05:11 AM

Horseshoes with balls? Would that be MALE horseshoes... as opposed to...what?

#45 Hitch

Hitch

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1219 posts

Posted 26 January 2005 - 04:18 PM

Hi Wattenscheid09,

Despite you grievously insulting the glorious pastime of Test Cricket, TMWTGG should be with you in the next two or three days. At last. :)

Is there anyone else in internetland who is in need of a classic edition of vintage Fleming? If so, please read the first few posts in this thread and remember my offer is now open to everyone - as long as you can come up with a really good reason for deserving a book. Please don't get upset if I say (Doctor) No.

Hey, an evil genius has to amuse himself somehow... :)

#46 wattenscheid09

wattenscheid09

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 130 posts

Posted 26 January 2005 - 05:49 PM

Cue evil laughter: Muhahahahahahaaaaaa.....(cough)

#47 Jaws0178

Jaws0178

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1612 posts

Posted 27 January 2005 - 01:37 AM

Horseshoes with balls as in you have to hit the ball as close to the stick. Geez!

#48 Hitch

Hitch

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1219 posts

Posted 27 January 2005 - 03:19 PM

Please note that I've decided to end my offer by Jan 30th. After that date members can still ask for a book but I may not reply. I told you I was an evil genius. :)

My decision to end the offer is nothing personal. I've greatly enjoyed corresponding on this thread and helping out fellow Bond fans, but all good things must come to an end. :) And I'm not made of money. :)

So impress your friends, dazzle your loved ones, bamboozle the tax man and irritate your neighbour by visiting drizzly London in the late 1950s, where men still wear hats, secret agents drive Bentleys and no-one has ever heard of text messaging or pet beauticians. The address? It's that big grey building overlooking Regent's Park. But make sure you have an appointment. :)

So please read the previous posts and send in your request now!

Hitch.

#49 Jaws0178

Jaws0178

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1612 posts

Posted 27 January 2005 - 08:50 PM

I can tell you this: Anyone who says that you are stingy really needs to take a look at these posts.

Todd

#50 Hitch

Hitch

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1219 posts

Posted 28 January 2005 - 04:08 PM

Thanks Todd, but no-one's complained so far! :)

A reminder to everyone - two days to go before my offer ends. This is almost as exciting as the Silverfin countdown... :)

#51 Hitch

Hitch

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1219 posts

Posted 28 January 2005 - 10:13 PM

CBn's very own Joyce Carrington stuck her toe in the water and asked if I had a copy of Diamonds Are Forever. I've recently come into possession of a 1964 Pan in superb condition - the spine hasn't cracked and it's a 40 year old paperback! :) Here's the cover:

http://www.artofjame...cks/daf_pan.jpg

Joyce PM'd me her full postal address and will soon get this very nice copy for free.

Nada.

Zip.

Double-O Nothing. :)

Don't be shy - only two days to go before the offer ends...

Regards,

Hitch.

(Thanks to Joyce for letting me mention her request)

#52 Joyce Carrington

Joyce Carrington

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4631 posts

Posted 28 January 2005 - 10:17 PM

It was an offer I couldn't resist. :)

Thanks, Hitch.

#53 Hitch

Hitch

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1219 posts

Posted 29 January 2005 - 09:51 AM

One day to go...

#54 Hitch

Hitch

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1219 posts

Posted 29 January 2005 - 04:18 PM

I've also found another book Joyce enquired after. She gets two books because I'm enjoying her 009 fanfic Off Balance! :)

The book is a 1962 Pan (or "Great Pan" as it says on the cover) paperback of For Your Eyes Only. It's a first printing of this edition so it is pretty rare. :) It's not from the later line-up of Pan covers but instead features a "pulpy" cover of a femme fatale:

http://www.artofjame...o_great_pan.jpg

Not bad, eh? :) There's slight wear on the spine but it is in terrific condition for what was a mass-produced paperback. I'm sure Joyce will enjoy it.

The clock is ticking, ladies and gentlemen...place your bets!

#55 Jaws0178

Jaws0178

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1612 posts

Posted 30 January 2005 - 04:16 AM

I see my mistake. I was thinking of Croquet. So sorry

#56 Hitch

Hitch

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1219 posts

Posted 30 January 2005 - 05:27 PM

Hi everyone,

*Adopts deadpan voice, broadcasts throughout hollowed-out volcano*

The offer ends in six hours' time. It's now or never!

Jaws0178, don't worry about cricket/croquet. I have enough trouble calling football "soccer". :)

#57 Hitch

Hitch

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1219 posts

Posted 31 January 2005 - 12:13 AM

Well, that's it. The Bond sweetshop is closed, my offer is ended, this is an ex-parrot, etc. :)

My thanks to TheSaint, Jaws0178, Wattenscheid09 and Joyce Carrington for trusting me enough to take up my offer. TMWTGG was posted a few days ago so Wattenscheid should get it on Monday or Tuesday. Joyce, I'll post your books tomorrow.

I had hoped a few more members might need some books - but it looks like CBn is bursting with old Fleming novels! :)

Although the offer is ended you may still send in a request - but I can't guarantee I will send you a book. :)

Thank you everyone,

Hitch. :)

P.S. Promotion to sub-lieutenant...yes! "Heading 057 degrees helmsman, and send down to the wardroom for a mug of tea."

#58 wattenscheid09

wattenscheid09

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 130 posts

Posted 31 January 2005 - 10:48 AM

Well, well, well. I should have known this was to be a special day when I discovered a third nipple on my chest while showering this morning. But I brushed it off until the postman came and pointed a golden gun at me. Fortunately, my door is equipped with a glass panel that came down....

In brief: Thanks for the book, Hitch! And most especially for the letter that came with it... or was that NOT by you... perhaps John Pearson was right... and there really IS a Universal Exports... still employing the services of a Miss Moneypenny... because everybody has swallowed Mycrofts bee extract... arrrghhhh... must .... read...

#59 Hitch

Hitch

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1219 posts

Posted 31 January 2005 - 11:14 AM

Success! I was getting worried your book might have been intercepted by foreign intelligence services but it seems the lines of communication are still secure.

Wattenscheid09, I'm sorry that your copy of TMWTGG is slightly distressed - it was the only old Pan edition I could find. You're unlucky, because the other books I've found have been in good (sometimes amazingly so) condition.

It's very pleasing to know you enjoyed my covering letter. :)

And watch out for that Scaramanga fellow - he's a tricky devil...

Edited by Hitch, 31 January 2005 - 11:16 AM.

#60 wattenscheid09

wattenscheid09

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 130 posts

Posted 31 January 2005 - 11:24 AM

Scaramanga, yes, that was his name. It had a slightly un-Austrian ring to it, so I should have been more cautious... then again, I was fresh out of the shower, so there...