This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Favorite Pierce Brosnan James Bond Film

667 replies to this topic

Poll: Favorite Pierce Brosnan James Bond Film (728 member(s) have cast votes)

Favorite Pierce Brosnan James Bond Film

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#211 RevolveR

RevolveR

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 441 posts

Posted 31 August 2004 - 10:30 PM

I am enraged that TND comes in last out of Brosnan's movies.  TND had a great villain in Carver, alot of good locations, and some good action sequences.  It is a very underrated Bond film.  The biggest problem was the total lack of a good Bond girl.

Yes Yes! Very underrated in my opinion as well. What I really don't understand is how The World Is Not Enough got more votes...The World Is Not Enough...on CBn...:)

HONESTLY! I just got out of the "Lets bash TWINE thread" and the I find out it's beating TND! Hard to believe....

#212 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 31 August 2004 - 10:33 PM

[quote name='RevolveR' date='31 August 2004 - 18:30'] [quote name='Qwerty' date='31 August 2004 - 22:22'] [quote name='RevolveR' date='31 August 2004 - 18:20'] I am enraged that TND comes in last out of Brosnan's movies.

#213 Goldfinger007

Goldfinger007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 327 posts

Posted 31 August 2004 - 11:32 PM

So basically Goldeneye is in first place followed by The World is not Enough... hmmm

I voted for The World Is Not Enough... although I do not have a favorite Brosnan film because I like them all the same... I guess a like TWINE a little more than the others... but still... my ranking of his films keep changing all the time...

Right now it would be:

1) The World Is Not Enough
2) Goldeneye
3) Tomorrow Never Dies
4) Die Another Day

The World Is Not Enough... always stays in the same position, and Goldeneye, Tomorrow Never Dies and Die Another Day keep changing all the time... depends on what kind of mood I am in...

#214 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 01 September 2004 - 02:09 AM

So basically Goldeneye is in first place followed by The World is not Enough... hmmm

I voted for The World Is Not Enough... although I do not have a favorite Brosnan film because I like them all the same... I guess a like TWINE a little more than the others... but still... my ranking of his films keep changing all the time...

Right now it would be:

1) The World Is Not Enough
2) Goldeneye
3) Tomorrow Never Dies
4) Die Another Day

The World Is Not Enough... always stays in the same position, and Goldeneye, Tomorrow Never Dies and Die Another Day keep changing all the time... depends on what kind of mood I am in...

It's kind of an odd poll. It's just The World Is Not Enough and Die Another Day for me that are constantly switching...

As of now...

--Tomorrow Never Dies
--GoldenEye
--Die Another Day
--The World Is Not Enough

#215 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 01 September 2004 - 03:11 AM

When this poll was first started I chose DAD as my favorite Bond film. But over time opinions change, and if I could vote again I'd choose TND definately.

I think we should retire this poll and start anew, after all like me. Many people do change their opinions over time, I think a new poll would reflect new attitudes, no? :)

#216 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 01 September 2004 - 03:13 AM

When this poll was first started I chose DAD as my favorite Bond film. But over time opinions change, and if I could vote again I'd choose TND definately.

I think we should retire this poll and start anew, after all like me. Many people do change their opinions over time, I think a new poll would reflect new attitudes, no? :)

Hmm I would say no because so many who don't always visit now have voted. Besides, it's the comments that take more over votes. :)

#217 TheBritishEnd

TheBritishEnd

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 261 posts

Posted 01 December 2004 - 08:34 PM

TND has always been my least favorite Brosnan Bond, but after viewing it again last night, I found myself thinking much more highly of it. It doesn't quite have the kind of scope that TWINE or DAD seem to have, but it's possibly Brosnan's most focused Bond film.

The first half is really tight and quite well-done, although I still think Teri Hatcher was miscast. I just never bought that she was someone special enough to warrant Bond's feelings for her.

My other problem was that the film's final act always felt like overkill- with Carver's demise seeming particularly weak. However, while I still feel it isn't the best finale, it's certainly not as bloated as DAD's or even TWINE's underwater mess.

Overall, it's not the mindless action flick I remembered. Brosnan still looks a bit too young, but he's clearly having fun in the role. I love that little moment where he just 'has' to break Carver's satellite! It also has one of the best scores, some great action scenes (parking garage; motorcycle chase), and an able Bond girl.

But why on earth did they channel Brosnan's own Lawnmower Man for the opening titles?! Sure, it's not as ugly as TWINE's oil-themed number, but did anyone think those computer chip girls looked good? :)

#218 Goldeneye23

Goldeneye23

Recruit

• Crew
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 December 2004 - 06:38 PM

[FONT=Times][COLOR=blue]Goldeneye had to be the best Brosnan did, I know TWINE was good but Goldeneye wins.

#219 Zing!

Zing!

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 128 posts

Posted 15 December 2004 - 07:02 PM

1. Goldeneye
2. The World Is Not Enough
3. Tomorrow Never Dies
4. Hasn't Made One...
5. Thomas Crown Affair
6. Remington Steele reruns...
10. Die Another Day :)

#220 Sir Charles

Sir Charles

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 90 posts

Posted 15 December 2004 - 07:41 PM

I voted Goldeneye as my favorite Brosnan film, though I think his best Bond portrayl was probably in TND. Though Clunky, and a bit off at times, I still think Goldeneye is the best of the four, but not by much. Three of them are great (TWINE features very low on my personal ratings list of Bond films). I guess the major thing that pushes Goldeneye to the top of the list is that it was the first Bond film I saw in the theater. The humor just seemed to work for me, and the teaser & tank chase ruled!
TND, though it may have the best humor, just didn't work as well with me. The over kill on action failed to impress me as much (don't get me wrong, I LOVE action sequences, but one of them could have been dropped).TWINE's action scenes seemd very forced, as was the humor..It seemed to be Bond as a soap opera. For the most part I liked DAD, but for me, the three year wait hurt it more than helped it (it raised my expectations too high).
One of the main problems for we with the Brosnan films are the women. The only ones I have liked so far has been Xenia and Frost (and I didn't like where Frost's character was taken. Why oh why couldn't Jinx's character been the traitor! That at least would have been a surprise). But then, I'm off topic now, so I'll be quiet. :)

#221 Get_MOOre7

Get_MOOre7

Discharged

• Discharged
  • 65 posts

Posted 17 December 2004 - 07:08 PM

GoldenEye.

Tomorrow Never Dies has some very memorable parts, The World Is Not Enough has its high points, but both of them also have some problem areas. GoldenEye isn't perfect mind you, but it certainly is much more in line with films like The Living Daylights, Licence To Kill, and so forth. I just prefer these types of films.

GoldenEye is damn good. But I really don't like the scene where Bond floats into the airplane in the pre-titles. That was a Die Another Day moment there.

As for Die Another Day, well.......as Sean Connery would say, "You can't win them all."

#222 boggles

boggles

Cadet

• Crew
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 December 2004 - 02:30 AM

For me it has to be Goldeneye. I think it is the only film that Pierce made as Bond that will stand the test of time. It had everything you need in a good Bond film : a good villan (Sean Bean) and henchmen (Miss OnaTopp), a good looking bond girl who gets involved with the action as well, great stunts (the dam jump is brillant and the tank chase), as well as an interesting and slightly different story (Bond having to go after a former 00 agent).

Tomorrow Never Dies was good to okay, but Jonathon Pryce didn't really deliever the goods as the villan. It was a well made film but slightly lacking in inspiration. I loved Bond's escape from the printing works the best.

TWINE was just a mess of a film. It was down to Purvis and Wade. Sure they tried to do something different, and that is to be appauled. The film just didn't know what it wanted to be. They didn't give Robbie Carlyle anything to do! It just never added up to much in the end. All the hype surrounding hiring Michael Apted and he didn't really add much to the film.

DAD not any good. Where do I start? I liked the fact that Bond got captured and tortured in the opening scenes, the two super cars fighting on ice was good, and the fencing scene was good. These were all elements we hadn't seen in a Bond film before. The rest of the film is just terrible. Trying to do a "Greatest Hits of James Bond" just doesn't work. The villan was dressed up like a robot, going way over the top even for a Bond film. That was the whole problem with the film everything was overblown! The director whilst showing more flair than Apted did just didn't understand Bond! The editing was half Matrix, half MTV, not what a Bond film needs.

#223 mythmunky

mythmunky

Cadet

• Crew
  • 16 posts

Posted 19 December 2004 - 03:45 AM

I voted for TND. Goldeneye was great. TND was an improvment. TWINE was on par with Goldeneye. DAD was good until it got to Iceland, where the whole thing just got really stupid. Oh yeah, Halle Berry was absolutely horrible. I even prefer Denise Richards' acting to hers. Frost was good though...

#224 Genrewriter

Genrewriter

Cammander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4360 posts

Posted 19 December 2004 - 09:19 AM

God, I just realised that while I posted in this thread in June of last year I neglected to record my vote. DAD all the way. :)

#225 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 19 December 2004 - 02:17 PM

I voted for TND. Goldeneye was great. TND was an improvment. TWINE was on par with Goldeneye. DAD was good until it got to Iceland, where the whole thing just got really stupid. Oh yeah, Halle Berry was absolutely horrible. I even prefer Denise Richards' acting to hers. Frost was good though...

View Post

Definitely, great choicd mythmunky. GoldenEye is a great film, but Tomorrow Never Dies got even better.

#226 Brian Flagg

Brian Flagg

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 19 December 2004 - 03:23 PM

Apparently, I already voted for a "favorite" but I can't remember which one...I guess that typifies the Brosnan era-- for me, at least. I think it was "Goldeneye." Sure, bungee jump, plane stunt thing is the best moment in all of Brosnan anyway...

Edited by Brian Flagg, 19 December 2004 - 03:24 PM.

#227 Brett Sinclair

Brett Sinclair

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 141 posts

Posted 05 January 2005 - 10:28 AM

I've had to go for Die another day,in a short space of time i've watched it more than any other Brosnan Bond movie.

I love the larger than life Bond films TSWLM etc and for me this was a return to that.A fantastic villans lair (well,ice palace) and "A GIANT LAZER"!

Not really one for Bond purests but fun from start to finish.

#228 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 05 January 2005 - 11:57 AM

I've had to go for Die another day,in a short space of time i've watched it more than any other Brosnan Bond movie.

I love the larger than life Bond films TSWLM etc and for me this was a return to that.A fantastic villans lair (well,ice palace) and "A GIANT LAZER"!

View Post

Absolutely, Brett Sinclair. I've always liked DIE ANOTHER DAY, but now that the Brosnan era is over (we think/hope) and quite a bit of time has passed since the last 007 adventure, it's clear to me that DAD is the best Bond flick since LICENCE TO KILL.

I love its "everything but the kitchen sink" approach, its lavishness. Visually, it's by far the most impressive of the Brosnans, and the action scenes are terrific. It's much less pretentious and less marred by "personal" elements than GOLDENEYE, TOMORROW NEVER DIES or THE WORLD IS NOT ENOUGH, and much more fun.

#229 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 05 January 2005 - 01:00 PM

View Post

Welcome to the CBn Forums Brett Sinclair! :)

#230 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 05 January 2005 - 03:06 PM

I am - as members may have pick up on - a huge Brosnan as Bond fan (I love mcuh of his other work), however, last night I sat through TND and it really had the potential to be a great Bond even with Brosnan in.

The first half really is excellent and it only goes down hill from the start of the ludicrous car chase. The Bond-M scene is a nice twist and the Bond meet villain (Carver) in true Thunderball style: what a shame Brosnan and Pryce didn't do more work together in the film - a classic Bond v villain relationship could have developed. I like Pryce as Carver but it seems the film makers hadn't the heart to give him more screen time? Why not - the alternative was a bunch of stunts one after the other which typifies the end of DAD and some of Roger's worse. Why not play upon the potential Chacra torture - have Bond, Carver, Stamper and Way Lin involved rather than the over-blown escape scene. As for the battle on the Stealth boat, never has anything in Die Hard or Lethal Weapon been quite so over the top violent.

Brosnan looks great and doesn't overdress. He carries the extra pounds from his fitness regime well and is much more than the lightweight he appears in his other three. His hair as well in the best of his four. Physically he looks Bond and has more prescence.

What a shame no one had the courage to follow Teri Hatcher's death in with scenes of a similar theme, building to a climax involving a true battle of wills between Bond -on his own -using his resourcefulness to defeat the wily, manic Carver?

#231 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 05 January 2005 - 09:12 PM

Brosnan looks great and doesn't overdress. He carries the extra pounds from his fitness regime well and is much more than the lightweight he appears in his other three. His hair as well in the best of his four. Physically he looks Bond and has more prescence.

View Post

Quite so. He looks great here.

#232 MI-6 Director

MI-6 Director

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1246 posts

Posted 05 March 2005 - 04:52 PM

The Poll's changed now, time to get rid of the link.

#233 YOLT

YOLT

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1533 posts

Posted 06 March 2005 - 12:22 PM

TND is in the second place:) Yes yes yes :)

#234 Roger Moore's Bad Facelift

Roger Moore's Bad Facelift

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 06 March 2005 - 06:29 PM

View Post

Absolutely, Brett Sinclair. I've always liked DIE ANOTHER DAY, but now that the Brosnan era is over (we think/hope) and quite a bit of time has passed since the last 007 adventure, it's clear to me that DAD is the best Bond flick since LICENCE TO KILL.

I love its "everything but the kitchen sink" approach, its lavishness. Visually, it's by far the most impressive of the Brosnans, and the action scenes are terrific. It's much less pretentious and less marred by "personal" elements than GOLDENEYE, TOMORROW NEVER DIES or THE WORLD IS NOT ENOUGH, and much more fun.

View Post

Loomis about sums it up for me, too. I find DAD to be imbued with the Roger Moore spirit of friivolity that has so long been missing from the series. The film takes itself seriously when it has to, but it never goes out of its way to become melodramatic or to overstretch itself by striving to be something it can not. First and foremost, a Bond film needs to be fun, and DAD (for my money, at least) more than certainly fits the bill!

#235 00Nothing

00Nothing

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 392 posts

Posted 07 March 2005 - 12:27 PM

Loomis about sums it up for me, too. I find DAD to be imbued with the Roger Moore spirit of friivolity that has so long been missing from the series. The film takes itself seriously when it has to, but it never goes out of its way to become melodramatic or to overstretch itself by striving to be something it can not. First and foremost, a Bond film needs to be fun, and DAD (for my money, at least) more than certainly fits the bill!

View Post

[/quote]

I couldn't agree more, DAD is very much the TSWLM of the Brosnan era.

#236 trumanlodge89

trumanlodge89

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 615 posts

Posted 13 March 2005 - 04:04 AM

I voted for GE, but i really like his first three almost equally. DAD is just not as good.

#237 YOLT

YOLT

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1533 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 09:52 AM

This is very interesting. TWINE, DAD, and GE are all even (or within 1 percentage point). Does this mean the Brosnan films are equally satisfying to fans, or does it mean he's yet to make his stand out Bond?

All this poll really proves is that TND is the least popular Brosnan Bond.

View Post

I couldnt hear what you said about TND zencat? Can you say it again? :)

#238 Skudor

Skudor

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9286 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 11:03 AM

Voted GE myself,the other ones are too OTT in terms of action. Interesting that the other three (TND, TWINE, DAD) come out roughly even.

Always hard to chose on these things! There are so many things to like about each. But GE has least faults.

#239 Am

Am

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 81 posts

Posted 30 March 2005 - 11:36 AM

I chose GoldenEye, as it's really the best one of Brosnan's films IMHO. It's got everything, I think -- the right amout of action, snarky humour, actually good acting ( <3 Brosnan's Bond -- so much like Fleming's literary original) and that certain edge to it. My favourite, definitely. :)

Only TWiNE comes close to that, but not close enough. :)

#240 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 30 March 2005 - 12:08 PM

Although I love GOLDENEYE, it is THE WORLD IS NOT ENOUGH that makes Brosnan really become Bond. No actor, even Connery, did the same amount of digging into the role. The moment in which he shoots Elektra with "I never miss" is one of the most powerful scenes in the whole series.