This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Favorite Pierce Brosnan James Bond Film

667 replies to this topic

Poll: Favorite Pierce Brosnan James Bond Film (728 member(s) have cast votes)

Favorite Pierce Brosnan James Bond Film

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#181 Nightman

Nightman

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 28 posts

Posted 27 June 2004 - 08:04 AM

Goldeneye is definately my favorite Pierce Brosnan Bond film. It was start of a new Bond era. Plus, we get to see a side of Bond we don't usually see. His friend betrays him and he has to deal with it, and defeat him. It was great. I love goldeneye!

#182 Broncostar44

Broncostar44

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 55 posts

Posted 25 July 2004 - 05:33 PM

GOLDENEYE IS SECOND TO NOONE.

#183 Agent_OO7

Agent_OO7

Cadet

• Crew
  • 16 posts

Posted 27 July 2004 - 11:33 PM

My favorite Brosnan movie (and favorite bond movie) is Goldeneye.

The precredit sequences are the best

#184 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 27 July 2004 - 11:36 PM

Now that I've read that the Brosnan era may be over, GOLDENEYE is the one that jumps out at me as his best, followed by DIE ANOTHER DAY, TOMORROW NEVER DIES and THE WORLD IS NOT ENOUGH.

#185 PlayBoy

PlayBoy

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 39 posts

Posted 04 August 2004 - 07:30 PM

1.GoldenEye 2. The World Is Not Enough 3. Die Another Day 4.Tommorow Never Dies.
Those are my top Brosnan films.

Attached Files

#186 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 04 August 2004 - 07:32 PM

Merged your topic into this already existing one, Playboy. :)

#187 Bond_Bishop

Bond_Bishop

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1885 posts

Posted 07 August 2004 - 07:26 AM

My ranking list:

1) Goldeneye
It's very hard to decide between DAD and GE, they are both good films and have Brosnan's best perfomances, but DAD lacks in CGI and GE in the score. John Barry should have done the score, then the movie should have been perfect. Why doesn't Bond uses his car. That would also had made the movie better but still i Goldeneye the best of Brozzie's.
2) Die Another Day
Brosnan's strongest performance. The saddest thing with the movie is the overexposed CGI and Graves playing the Emperor in Star Wars. But the first half of DAD is pure Bond. It's great. Halle Berry is great as Jinx even though Jinx is too much the 'Yo Momma' girl. Rosamund Pike looks great and don't have so much screentime. The villains are also great.
3) The World is Not Enough
A great Bond movie. After Tomorrow this is a classical movie. The relationship with Elektra is perfect and Bond's reaction when she is the villain is also great. But this can be a little boring sometimes and David Arnold's score is his weakest even after the excellent main title song.
4) Tomorrow Never Dies
It's quite good but not one of the best. Brosnan's playing terminator here. That is not so good. David Arnold's score is amazing. Sad that his great song "Surrender" didin't got to be the main title song.

#188 inkling23

inkling23

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 22 posts

Posted 08 August 2004 - 03:24 AM

Brosnan is my 2nd favorite after Connery. That said, I do have issues with all his films (and not necessarily with PB himself). Bond should never drive a BMW again! It's distracting product placement. My "issues":

GOLDENEYE: the score (not nearly enough JB theme--if only Barry did this!), the car.
TND: the story, the car, Teri Hatcher, Jonathan Pryce, the theme song.
TWINE: Denise Richards, the car.
DAD: the 2nd half of the story (the DNA concept was good though), the embarrassingly bad special effects (which almost totally ruined the movie), Halle is hot but useless to the story, and Madonna (both theme and cameo! but theme, mostly--one of the worst ever). This seemed like a very cheap movie. Too bad, Tamahori is an otherwise fantastic director. The homages to old Bonds were great and made it worthwhile.

And...
Best film: GOLDENEYE
Best theme: TWINE (by far!)
Best car: DAD (by far!)
Best score: TND
Best villain: Gustav Graves

My 2 cents. :)

Edited by inkling23, 08 August 2004 - 03:35 AM.

#189 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 08 August 2004 - 03:26 AM

Great first post! Welcome to CBn.

You make some interesting choices for the "Best ofs..." I agree with some of them, and most of the others are close.

#190 CharlieBind

CharlieBind

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 238 posts

Posted 21 August 2004 - 03:22 PM

I chose TWINE as my favourite, though it's hard to choose between that and Goldeneye and TND, all three get better with each viewing.

DAD is not quite in the shame class as the others, though it is not the turkey that some people make it out to be. I hated it when I saw it at the cinema, but again each time I watch the DVD it improves.

The biggest flaws are:

The downbeat pre-credit sequence, which while ok starts the movie off on a downbeat note...

...which isn't helped by Maddonna's song. I must admit it has grown on me a bit, but it is still hard to like.

Hallie Berry is awful, while the GCI ranges from being impressive to being impressively bad.

Apart from that, I thought it was a very enjoyable movie.

#191 ComplimentsOfSharky

ComplimentsOfSharky

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2804 posts

Posted 21 August 2004 - 04:02 PM

It is true that Pierce is rambo in TND, but I love that movie just for the plot. I mean come on, a media baron who sparks a war to create news for himself! That's so cool, who can't love it?

#192 Ron Fizzog!

Ron Fizzog!

Cadet

• Crew
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 August 2004 - 04:35 PM

Well m'dear, I'm afraid to say I haven't seen any of his movies! Incredible, I know, but I've been busy on the convention circuit! But from what I hear Pierce is a very nice chap!

#193 00Twelve

00Twelve

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7706 posts

Posted 21 August 2004 - 04:47 PM

In terms of script, I'll have to go with GoldenEye. This is simply because the other scripts, as I have said numerous times, rely too much on 'trading quips' instead of actually having down to earth conversation. Does GoldenEye completely avoid this? No, of course not, but, IMO, it isn't so obvious. I don't think any 'deep' Bond scene in the later Brosnan films quite matched the beach scene or the realization that Trevelyan is the villain. BIG point deduction (sorry, Olympic overload :) ) for horrible action cues in the score.

In terms of the overall film, I'm at a cross between GoldenEye, and, yes, Die Another Day. I know some will roll their eyes at that, but my issues (Halle, bad script) were far outweighed by a good story and innovative Bondian plot developments and scenes, such as being tortured for so long, and the swordfight (A huge highlight for the series, IMO). I think it is because they deliberately tried to bring old elements back for the sake of nostalgia that the film, on the whole, worked well.

Hopefully now they realize that if they want to make a REAL Bond classic, they need to go back to the low-key films, before Bond got too over-the-top.

#194 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 21 August 2004 - 06:05 PM

It is true that Pierce is rambo in TND, but I love that movie just for the plot. I mean come on, a media baron who sparks a war to create news for himself! That's so cool, who can't love it?

It is not true, it's anyone's opinion. That film is easily his best, and the action does not take over the film.

#195 ComplimentsOfSharky

ComplimentsOfSharky

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2804 posts

Posted 21 August 2004 - 06:36 PM

Don't get me wrong Qwerty, I love the action in TND. When it all comes down to it though, I think Pierce has a rambo moment in all his films. Which isn't really a bad thing, that's just something I hear complained about with regards to TND a lot...

#196 00-FAN008

00-FAN008

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1907 posts

Posted 21 August 2004 - 06:47 PM

#1- GoldenEye

IMO, second place would go to The World Is Not Enough. Had some of the best action sequences and best innuendos I've ever heard!

"I see you've put your money where your mouth is."

-Bond to Bull.

:)

#197 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 21 August 2004 - 06:50 PM

Don't get me wrong Qwerty, I love the action in TND. When it all comes down to it though, I think Pierce has a rambo moment in all his films. Which isn't really a bad thing, that's just something I hear complained about with regards to TND a lot...

I hear it complained alot about too. There is more action in this film than other Bond films, yes, but hardly Rambo style IMO.

It just works.

#198 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 21 August 2004 - 06:58 PM

I hear it complained alot about too. There is more action in this film than other Bond films, yes, but hardly Rambo style IMO.

I don't think it has any more action than other Bond films. In fact a poster here a while back made a very good comparison to another Bond film and proved that it didnt. However I can't remember what that comparison was.

But for what it's worth, the last hour of On Her Majesty’s Secret Service is filled with almost nonstop action (except for the wedding). Compare that to Tomorrow Never Dies and it makes it look like a rather slow film in comparison :)

#199 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 21 August 2004 - 06:59 PM

Both those films are supreme Bond films. They both work wonderfully.

#200 00-FAN008

00-FAN008

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1907 posts

Posted 21 August 2004 - 07:21 PM

1.GoldenEye 2. The World Is Not Enough 3. Die Another Day 4.Tommorow Never Dies.
Those are my top Brosnan films.

Hey, that's the same with me! :)

#201 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 22 August 2004 - 01:00 AM

Tomorrow Never Dies
GoldenEye
The World Is Not Enough & Die Another Day.

I guess I'm the only one who has trouble picking a clear third favorite.

#202 Buck

Buck

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 148 posts

Posted 31 August 2004 - 04:18 AM

This is a little off subject but in regards to non Bond flims by Brosnan, has anyone seen a movie of his where he is a Victorian Era British soldier in India who becomes a member of the Thugee cult? I thought it was pretty good.

Buck

#203 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 31 August 2004 - 04:20 AM

This is a little off subject but in regards to non Bond flims by Brosnan, has anyone seen a movie of his where he is a Victorian Era British soldier in India who becomes a member of the Thugee cult? I thought it was pretty good.

Buck

Do you know the title of it?

#204 Buck

Buck

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 148 posts

Posted 31 August 2004 - 09:29 AM

I just looked it up. It's called the Deceivers. Really worth a look.

Buck

#205 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 31 August 2004 - 01:10 PM

http://imdb.com/title/tt0094979/

Finally found it, nope, haven't seen it yet.

#206 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 31 August 2004 - 08:07 PM

I've seen THE DECEIVERS and I would not recommend it....

Cannot believe that fans are complaining about the "lack of the James Bond theme" in GoldenEye...that was the best thing about the score - it was edgy and different. In my opinion Arnold uses the James Bond theme too much.

#207 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 31 August 2004 - 08:22 PM

Cannot believe that fans are complaining about the "lack of the James Bond theme" in GoldenEye...that was the best thing about the score - it was edgy and different. In my opinion Arnold uses the James Bond theme too much.

That gives me a good laugh too.

If anything, I find the fact that they didnt use Serra's "Pleasant Drive Through St. Petersburg" track pretty appalling. They go out of thier way and hire someone because they want a new sound for Bond. Then they go ahead and silence his new sound in place of a generic sounding Bond theme, ugh.

#208 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 31 August 2004 - 08:28 PM

That gives me a good laugh too.

If anything, I find the fact that they didnt use Serra's "Pleasant Drive Through St. Petersburg" track pretty appalling. They go out of thier way and hire someone because they want a new sound for Bond. Then they go ahead and silence his new sound in place of a generic sounding Bond theme, ugh.

I love the version we don't hear in the film.

#209 RevolveR

RevolveR

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 441 posts

Posted 31 August 2004 - 10:20 PM

I am enraged that TND comes in last out of Brosnan's movies. TND had a great villain in Carver, alot of good locations(it's important to note that a location doesn't have to be exotic to be good), and some good action sequences. It is a very underrated Bond film. The biggest problem was the total lack of a good Bond girl.

Edited by RevolveR, 31 August 2004 - 10:26 PM.

#210 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 31 August 2004 - 10:22 PM

I am enraged that TND comes in last out of Brosnan's movies. TND had a great villain in Carver, alot of good locations, and some good action sequences. It is a very underrated Bond film. The biggest problem was the total lack of a good Bond girl.

Yes Yes! Very underrated in my opinion as well. What I really don't understand is how The World Is Not Enough got more votes...The World Is Not Enough...on CBn...:)