This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Favorite Pierce Brosnan James Bond Film

667 replies to this topic

Poll: Favorite Pierce Brosnan James Bond Film (728 member(s) have cast votes)

Favorite Pierce Brosnan James Bond Film

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#91 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 29 March 2003 - 06:21 AM

As much as I love TWINE (and no, I'll never change my opinion on that film) I just enjoyed DAD so much more. It was everyone that I think a Bond film should be, sure they could have done with less action in the last hour, but you know what? The films out, it's been made, why gripe about what it is'nt and look at what it is. I think both TND and TWINE are looked upon more favorably now because they've been out for a while, just wait, DAD will take a while, but people will look at it as Brosnan's Moonraker (that is both good and bad, depending on what you thought of MR).

Oh, btw, if for whatever reason it wasnt clear what movie I voted for (yeah right!!) I voted for DAD :)

#92 Mr. Kidd

Mr. Kidd

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 129 posts

Posted 29 March 2003 - 05:18 PM

My favorite Brosnan Bond IS TND. While I love GE as well, I think Pierce hit his stride here and many of my favorite "Brosnan Bond moments" occur in this one. the action sequences are dynamite as well.

#93 univex

univex

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 29 March 2003 - 06:35 PM

Dont

#94 antonio damas

antonio damas

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 58 posts

Posted 02 April 2003 - 07:56 AM

I chose TWINE because i like the story and the action sequence.

#95 DanMan

DanMan

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2009 posts

Posted 07 April 2003 - 03:26 PM

And DAD's in the lead with GE closin' in fast. It's time for a showdown.

#96 Sir James

Sir James

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 07 April 2003 - 06:27 PM

DAD DAD DAD DAD DAD DAD DAD!!!!!!!!!!!!

#97 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 07 April 2003 - 06:33 PM

"He's not here. Will your Mom do instead?"

#98 DieAnotherDay57

DieAnotherDay57

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 301 posts

Posted 08 April 2003 - 12:02 PM

Originally posted by Sir James

Jim you are by far the most creative poster I have ever met on any forum. If only you liked Brosnan....

I will be sure to PM you a copy of our manifesto when finshed :)

Die Another Day is a hybrid Bond film. It makes it Brosnan's best because he himself is a hybrid Bond. The right mix of all the past elements, in one film, and one Bond, what could be better?

I agree with Sir James Die Another Day did have the right mix .

#99 DanMan

DanMan

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2009 posts

Posted 08 April 2003 - 07:31 PM

Long live DAD!

#100 Paul Scrabo

Paul Scrabo

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 60 posts

Posted 28 April 2003 - 11:17 PM

So, far, the film makers have still not given Brosnan an excellent Bond, but to me TND has the best "Brosnan Bond Moments", the first hour being Brosnan's best Bond appearance.
I wish the film makers would do a Brosnan Bond with the tag line..
THIS TIME, IT'S NOT PERSONAL!!!
Just make a BOnd movie, just another adventure.
When Brosnan did Remington Steele, he had opportunities to be cool and have fun, but I'm tired of these screenplays, and I still can't figure out the relationship between Bond & M in the Brosnan era. Very inconsistant.
They also cheat Brosnan many times; In "Diamonds Are Forever", we like the shot showing that Connery's Bond is just as confused on how to operate the moon buggy as we are, and it's a neat touch. Brosnan does Brosnan at his best when we see the looks he gives thru-out the TND car park chase.
But in the (disappointing) ice chase in DAD, Brosnan seems TOO confident, just going thru the motions.
Honest question - Have they been able to do anything better in excitement and suspense than things like the OHMSS finale even with it's dated front projection look?
Why does the last part of TLD, with the glorious plane fight seem superior than anything in DAD.
I'm not a DAD basher, I wanted to love so much of it. But it made me so angry in some parts.
Another point that jurst some of the Brosnan Bond's is the DREADED BOND WITH MACHINE GUN SCENES. In a thriller (think of Hitchcock) the fun comes from using UNUSUAL objects as killer weapons to desperately defend yourself.
Paul

#101 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 28 April 2003 - 11:29 PM

Originally posted by Paul Scrabo

On this point I couldn't agree with you more, Paul!

#102 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 29 April 2003 - 01:51 AM

and I still can't figure out the relationship between Bond & M in the Brosnan era. Very inconsistant.

I don't think it is inconsistant at all...Bond and M warm up to each other through the first three films. And then we get DAD.

We all know M. can make the tough choices, and leaving Bond in the cold is one of them. That is very much in keeping with her no nonsense character.

It is also in keeping with her character that she trusts Bond, and as surely as she took away his double-oh status, she knew he would be back. That sort of trust, even if things will be tense between for a while, certainly stems from the years of realizing that no matter what, Bond gets the job done.

I think the evolution of the relationship Brosnan's Bond and Dame Dench's M is one of the best pieces of writing this series has done.

-- Xenobia

#103 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 29 April 2003 - 01:56 AM

So, far, the film  makers have still not given Brosnan an excellent Bond, but to me TND has the best "Brosnan Bond Moments", the first hour being Brosnan's best Bond appearance.
When Brosnan did Remington Steele, he had opportunities to be cool and have fun, but I'm tired of these screenplays, and I still can't figure out the relationship between Bond & M in the Brosnan era. Very inconsistant.
They also cheat Brosnan many times; In "Diamonds Are Forever", we like the shot showing that Connery's Bond is just as confused on how to operate the moon buggy as we are, and it's a neat touch. Brosnan does Brosnan at his best when we see the looks he gives thru-out the TND car park chase.
But in the (disappointing) ice chase in DAD, Brosnan seems TOO confident, just going thru the motions.  
Honest question - Have they been able to do anything better in excitement and suspense than things like the OHMSS finale even with it's dated front projection look?  
Why does the last part of TLD, with the glorious plane fight seem superior than anything in DAD.
I'm not a DAD basher, I wanted to love so much of it. But it made me so angry in some parts.  
Another point that jurst some of the Brosnan Bond's is the DREADED BOND WITH MACHINE GUN SCENES. In a thriller (think of Hitchcock) the fun comes from using UNUSUAL objects as killer weapons to desperately defend yourself.
Paul

I agree with you Paul and Zencat. A lot of what you mentioned in your post is what I have been thinking also.

#104 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 30 April 2003 - 12:44 AM

Gotta agree, Paul and Zencat. Time to chill on the over emoting, relax, come up with original action, and let Bond do his thing.

#105 Doubleshot

Doubleshot

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 988 posts

Posted 04 May 2003 - 04:31 AM

I think three of the four Brosnan films (GoldenEye, The World is Not Enough, and Die Another Day) have been sucessful in conveying the personal vendettas Bond has against the villian. A healthy amount of screentime is devoted to these subplots in the film but I don't feel they are overdone at all, and - for the most part anyway - are perfectly scripted and acted. Tomorrow Never Dies is the only film that fails to make the audience (or at least me) care about Bond's vendetta, and that is because the character we are meant to mourn the loss of this character who has had such little screentime and dialogue.

I have to be honest, there is really no ultimate Brosnan film for me. GoldenEye is the one with the perfect screenplay. Tomorrow Never Dies is the one with the series' best musical score and the biggest amount of character moments (such as Bond sitting alone in his hotel room taking shots of vodka) and the great cinematography. The World is Not Enough has the best title song of the four and the best opening sequence - and even one of my favorite locations from Bonds past brought back again (Istanbul). Die Another Day is my current favorite of the four because it has balls and takes risks - putting Bond in prison for a year and beating the hell out of him; giving him back the classic over-the-top villians and henchmen he deserves. It has some of the series' best cinematography.

But each of these films have weaknesses that keep them back a little bit. GoldenEye has the dull production design, poor special effects, and "just slice my ear off now before it's too late"-bad score. Tomorrow Never Dies has the too-simple-for-words story and weak villian. The World is Not Enough has the horrible cinematography and editing which sometimes make it seem like it's going on forever. Die Another Day runs a little bit over-the-top with some really mindless action (take the car chase inside the ice palace, for instance) and some bad dialogue and plotting. That's not to say I hate the Brosnan films - quite the opposite, actually. Brosnan's era so far may be my favorite.

#106 Sir James

Sir James

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 05 May 2003 - 02:18 PM

Well Mike, No Bond film is perfect, not even the old ones. I would argue that the Brosnans come the closest. My thoughts have been that Die Another Day along with GoldenEye fit into the speical category of Bonds that are the ultimate, this category being the Bond films with all the essientals (see my coming essay in the general films section). I would say at this moment, Die Another Day is my favourite, I as a Bond fan saw all of Ian Flemings masterpiece, and the classic film legacy in it. It had all the right scenes, and the near best in the categories of villians, action, women, gadgets, plot, and plot sublines. Not to mention that we get a perfect perfomance from Brosnan in a Bond role that gives us a Bond that is what he is, a smooth cold blodded, lonely killer. No movie is perfect, and DAD is not an exception. With subpar, but excusable IMO CGI, and Graves body suit ruining an otherwise good fight, the film shows that no Bond film will ever be completely flawless. I do think GoldenEye comes right after it. Brosnan is great for the first time out, but you can tell he is a little wet behind the ears. Nevertheless, a great cast, solid action, and an exciting story cover up that and a horrid music score. The World Is Not Enough I find also enjoyable. But it gets some minor demrits for Bond sinking a ship, even though he is a Commander in the British Navy, and M going out to Elektra (I mean how stupid can you be?) I liked the "M with balls" shown in both GE, and DAD. In TWINE, one of my own worst fears about a female M came true. Now you can call me sexist if you would like, but I dont like seeing the head of the secret service driven by her maternal insticts. Its One thing for Bond to have drive from his heart, but she is in a position of authority and influence. But at the end of the day, its fast paced, emotional action packed thrill ride of a story is one of the most passionate Bond films yet. TND, is just plain awsome, but sadly not as good.

#107 RayBros007

RayBros007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 200 posts
  • Location:Jacksonville FL! Home of SuperBowl Thirty-something...

Posted 05 May 2003 - 08:52 PM

Hey, I like DAD... Hell I LOVED DAD, I just think TCA was PB's better Unofficial Bond Film;):) LOL... I seriously think that this is what a Bond film could (and should) be like!

#108 Jazzy Bond

Jazzy Bond

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 132 posts

Posted 11 May 2003 - 09:13 PM

I voted for DAD. It's tough because I love all the Brosnan movies but I felt that the producers and writers gave us a treat for the Bond fans and just movie fans in general with DAD. Yes it has some OTT action and yes it has some questionable CGI but when you look at the good things it has it so outweighs the bad and also IMHO has more classic Bond moments than all the other Brosnan movies put together. Consider the following classic Bond in DAD: The surfing in the beginning just oozes cool there wasn't a sound in the audience when I went to see it the first of 4 times except gasps and "cool". That's what we want Bond to be "Cool" Right? Also the hovercraft scenes and the following prisoner scenes were haunting and stays with the movie viewer long after watching it. Again, what people want from a movie! The swordfight and the verbal exchanges between Graves and Bond will go down in Bond lore as a classic. The Cuba scenes were beautiful and well put together i love, he he, Jinx's intro and again it is scenes like these that stay with the viewer. These type of scenes become classic in years to come. Going off the subject for a sec. think of the golf match in goldfinger back in 1964 that was probably considered cool at the time but it has grown to be classic bond nearly 40 years later. Alot of scenes like that are found in DAD. I could go on about the Ice dragster, the car showdown on ice. and the classic Moneypenney scene along with the ending with the Ferrari and Lamborghini embedded in the rice patty fields but I think I have made somewhat of a point here. What do you guys think about the potential for classic scenes in DAD as compared to a lesser state in the previous 3 flicks. Also how about that "classic" scenes in Hong Kong"? "You too, unless you still want to give me that massage!" Classic, just classic!"

#109 DanMan

DanMan

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2009 posts

Posted 12 May 2003 - 08:08 PM

I agree with everything that Jazzie Bond has stated above.

#110 superracer0022

superracer0022

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 255 posts

Posted 20 May 2003 - 02:01 AM

it looks like goldeneye is winning by only one vote, i guess i will vote for tomorrow never dies then

#111 DanMan

DanMan

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2009 posts

Posted 21 May 2003 - 07:26 PM

DAD and GE once again tied for the lead. Only if I could vote again...(for DAD by the way)

#112 DanMan

DanMan

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2009 posts

Posted 22 May 2003 - 07:50 PM

And DAD takes the lead again! MUHAHAHAHAHAHA

#113 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 03 June 2003 - 05:48 PM

Originally posted by DanMan
And DAD takes the lead again! MUHAHAHAHAHAHA

Its interesting, but reading the posts around here, you'd think DAD was the worst film (not just Bond film) ever. Guess the results speak for themselves :)

#114 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 03 June 2003 - 05:51 PM

Yes, that's what I like about polls. :)

#115 DanMan

DanMan

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2009 posts

Posted 04 June 2003 - 03:49 PM

Strange how people like B5Erik2 or 5 BONDS don't seem to post in this thread, eh?

#116 rayzor09

rayzor09

Cadet

• Crew
  • 16 posts

Posted 04 June 2003 - 09:41 PM

Yeah, that IS what polls are for. And for the record, I voted Die Another Day.

#117 DanMan

DanMan

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2009 posts

Posted 04 June 2003 - 10:02 PM

Glad to see so much support for DAD.

#118 rayzor09

rayzor09

Cadet

• Crew
  • 16 posts

Posted 04 June 2003 - 10:19 PM

Of course, this isn't acurate because people have voted for the Thomas Crown Affair.

#119 DanMan

DanMan

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2009 posts

Posted 05 June 2003 - 06:15 PM

TCA was put in as a poll twist. If you check all the other "Best Of..." polls, they all have a twist.

#120 the007JamesBond

the007JamesBond

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 79 posts

Posted 11 June 2003 - 09:29 PM

I vote for DAD, because like with James and Jinx in a pair of love. I could to want to vote Goldeneye, that's my first Pierce Brosnan-Fan.