#61 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 28 February 2003 - 03:47 PM

Originally posted by Mansfield 005
I like Clive Owen, but I doubt he'll be picked to be the next Bond.  I'd love to see him a really hard-edge Bond film, but the public wouldn't like him.

Clive Owen will not become Bond .Unless the EON people want to do direct to video movies . It just will not happen. He does not have the presence of a Bond .

#62 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 28 February 2003 - 05:38 PM

Originally posted by kevrichardson
(Owen) does not have the presence of a Bond.

I don't agree. I think Owen definately is an actor with a lot of presence. More so than an actor like Hugh Jackman. The trouble with Clive is that he just doesn't look the part. If EON were to hire Clive, I wouldn't mind terribly, but I'm pretty sure a lot of fans will tune out. The departure from his predecessors would be just too big.

#63 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 28 February 2003 - 06:28 PM

Originally posted by crashdrive

I don't agree. I think Owen definately is an actor with a lot of presence. More so than an actor like Hugh Jackman. The trouble with Clive is that he just doesn't look the part. If EON were to hire Clive, I wouldn't mind terribly, but I'm pretty sure a lot of fans will tune out. The departure from his predecessors would be just too big.

CrashDive , if that is the general feeling with regards to Mr.Clive Owen .Why in heaven's name include him on a short list of replacements for Brosnan. If Hugh Jackman does not have any "screen presence" , why in heaven's name also include him . The one important lesson learned from the George Lazenby nightmare . Was that Bond is not like Tarzan (quoting Cubby Broccoli's famous quip on there were 14 Tarzan's) . Bond is in every scene , interacts with every cast member on the film. And about all else is both a Romantic Leading man , and a Action Hero . TAht's a tall order for any one man. Connery , Moore both brought various amount of this to their Bond . Connery in some minds was more believable as a "Man of Action" . While Moore was in the Romantic Man role . Each was successfull because of this . It is a total waste of resource (time ,money etc) for EON to screen -test people . Who are firmly established as "Bland" , Boring , Transparent . Or "Lacking in Sexual Assurance" to quote Peter Hunt . Clive Owen like Dominic West falls into the column of those who would like to try Bond ,Not be Bond . Tring to be Bond is not enough , it's not like wearing a suit then have the tailor adjust it as you go . That is the one thing i like with Brosnan . I may not like the plot lines , the choice of Directors . Yet Brosnan for today is Bond, he want to be Bond and enjoys the role enough that it come through in his films .

#64 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 28 February 2003 - 06:46 PM

Why would I include Owen on a shortlist of replacements for Brosnan? Because the list is not based on my personal opinions. Eventhough I may think he would be wrong for the part or that fans wouldn't accept him doesn't make it so. I try to compile a list that reflects reality. And in reality a lot of the purist love Owen. He was mentioned repeatedly by the press as a possible Bond actor and he's a rising star. Plus the fact that he actually auditioned for the part. I may not like him, but there is no denying he is a very important candidate.
I'm not saying Jackman doesn't have screenpresence. I said Owen has more. I think Owen has a lot of potential and is a very gifted and versatile actor. That doesn't deny the fact that Jackman is also a talented actor in his own right. 'X Men' proved that he has presence. I just happen to think Owen has more.
And if you think EON are wasting their time looking at actors who at first would seem "Bland", we wouldn't be talking about Connery (or are you telling me you would have cast Connery after seeing him in 'Darby O Gill and the Little People?). Eventhough some actors may seem "Boring" or "Transparent" to you, doesn't make it so. Maybe EON just has a little more vision than you.

#65 doublenoughtspy

doublenoughtspy

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4122 posts

Posted 28 February 2003 - 06:53 PM

Clive Owen IS James Bond.

#66 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 28 February 2003 - 06:56 PM

Connery was casted during an era of British actors . Who was defined by Ronald Coleman , David Niven , Robert Donat . When Connery became Bond . He singlehandly changed the image of British maleness . The Disney movie was a minor role . Plus Bond was in the early experimental phase . Broccoli/Saltzman auditioned many actors ( Roger Moore missed out because he was thought to be too pretty) . Yes in terms of casting actors ! I do hope EON has more vision than i . It certainly does not show in their choice of screenwriters or Directors.

#67 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 28 February 2003 - 07:17 PM

Originally posted by doublenoughtspy
Clive Owen IS James Bond.

I happen to disagree. Although a very talented actor, I think he doesnt look the part. He's not attractive enough to be a convincing Bond.

#68 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 28 February 2003 - 07:23 PM

I happen to disagree. Although a very talented actor, I think he doesnt look the part. He's not attractive enough to be a convincing Bond.

Why then include him ?

#69 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 28 February 2003 - 08:25 PM

Kev please give me a break, I already explained this to you in another post written only minutes before.

#70 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 28 February 2003 - 08:37 PM

Kev please give me a break, I already explained this to you in another post written only minutes before.

Relax !! Clive Owen is out of the question . look let's just concern ourselves with realistic possiblities . Owen is not a real contenter . Just a name like so many other . Placed on a list that EON has no intention of considering . So just relax . I have more of a interest in who will direct Bond 21 . And what the screenplay is about . Than worring about some two-bit actor , tring to fell Brosnan shoes. Knowing than Brosnan is good for at least one more film . Is good enough for me. You have (nothing against you personally) more of yourself in this thread than is needed . JAckman , Northam , West ,Owen , Butler( well he's gay , so he out . no pun intend ) . And who ever else is on any list EON has will get their shoot at the title in 2007 . Just CHILL !! It's only fun .

#71 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 28 February 2003 - 08:49 PM

look let's just concern ourselves with realistic possiblities .

Owen is definately a realistic possibility. Unlikely perhaps, but he is without a doubt a contender (right age, height, resume, experience with both drama and action). That's why he'll stay on the list. I may not think he's right (the only three actors I like are Jackman, Northam and West), but that doesnt mean he shouldn't be on the list. All the actors on the list are men who either auditioned or had talks with EON, with the possible exception of West. You could argue Owen has more right to stay on the list than West. The list, just like my directors list, is not based on my personal opinion (maybe the order of the names, but not the selection).
And how do you know Butler is gay? So far, I've found no proof of this. Untill I do, he stays on the list.

#72 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 28 February 2003 - 08:52 PM

Strange , West is your personal favorite ! Gerald Butler, if he is thought of as gay them he is off EON's list. If not them Rupert Everett has a chance.

#73 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 28 February 2003 - 09:04 PM

Strange , West is your personal favorite ! Gerald Butler, if he is thought of as gay them he is off EON's list. If not them Rupert Everett has a chance.

Like I said "You could argue Owen has more right to stay on the list than West. " I do think he has a very good chance, but he's definately not the frontrunner. The fact that I placed him on the number one spot doesn't mean he's the most likely candidate. I don't think there is an actor who has a better chance than West, that's why he's on the list. If Butler does turn out to be gay, he's off the list, whether I agree with it or not.

#74 BONDFINESSE 007

BONDFINESSE 007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 28 February 2003 - 09:51 PM

strange we keep talking owens who will never be bond, never ever, and west who has as about much chance as being bond as bill clinton does, lets focus on those who we know have a real shot........... A REAL SHOT

#75 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 01 March 2003 - 02:35 PM

Originally posted by BONDFINESSE 007
strange we keep talking owens who will never be bond, never ever, and west who has as about much chance as being bond as bill clinton does, lets focus on those who we know have a real shot........... A REAL SHOT

finally some common sense !!! Owens as you sadi will not become Bond . As i wrote he is just a name on some list the EON keeps . EON us to do the "we are in the process of auditioning a new Bond" . Just to drive down Moore's price range . In this case with Brosnan , the series would suffer . So no new talk of a replacement . West and Owens have no chance . Bill Clinton as least has a better agent.

#76 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 01 March 2003 - 07:02 PM

Originally posted by BONDFINESSE 007
west who has as about much chance as being bond as bill clinton

I think West has a very good chance at getting the part. Versatile goodlooking actor with impressive resume, born and raised in the UK, right height, look and age. Rising star yet not too famous to sign a three picture deal. Star of his own television show (The Wire) just like Roger Moore (The Saint) and Pierce Brosnan (Remington Steele). You may not think he has a chance, but that doesn't mean you're right. A wiseman said; "opinions are like asssholes. Everybody's got one" :)

I also think Owen will not get the part, but he's definately a contender. I'm curious who you think we should discuss.

#77 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 01 March 2003 - 08:46 PM

A wiseman said; "opinions are like [censored]s .Everyone got one" . That sounds like the motto of the EON/DANJAQ people when they are formating a Bond screenplay. The problem is the ******* reign .

#78 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 01 March 2003 - 11:02 PM

Kev, why are you so negative all the time? When I discuss Bond I like to hear enthusiasm, but all I get from you is a very bitter and cynical point of view. That's the problem between you and me. You think Bond strives despite EON's way of doing business. I happen to think the franchise survived because their traditions.

I think the franchise now is as good as it has ever been. Brosnan is an amazing Bond. 'GE', 'TND', 'TWINE' & 'DAD' are all entertaining and terrific films (I personally prefer the Brosnan Bonds over the Moore Bonds), we've got good directors, great setpieces and dialogues, good casts, crews, what else could you ask for?

#79 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 02 March 2003 - 11:16 PM

Kev, why are you so negative all the time? When I discuss Bond I like to hear enthusiasm, but all I get from you is a very bitter and cynical point of view. That's the problem between you and me. You think Bond strives despite EON's way of doing business. I happen to think the franchise survived because their traditions.
I think the franchise now is as good as it has ever been. Brosnan is an amazing Bond. 'GE', 'TND', 'TWINE' & 'DAD' are all entertaining and terrific films (I personally prefer the Brosnan Bonds over the Moore Bonds), we've got good directors, great setpieces and dialogues, good casts, crews, what else could you ask for?

I am not negative ! I love Bond , but i also still love Ian Fleming's Bond . I have grown to like Brosnan . Never felt he was right for the role back in 1986 . Prefered Dalton Bond . Believe that he was not given the resources that are now given to Brosnan . There is a interesting interview with Michael G.Wilson in which he felt that a Bond film would never go beyond 6o millions. Well that's changed . It's the traditions that can some times hurt . Bond should not become a museum piece i.e. Sherlock Holmes .