78 replies to this topic

#1 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 05 February 2003 - 10:05 PM

I've had a couple of requests recently and in response to one of them is this poster. This doesn't reflect my personal point of view, but its an interesting alterna-bond, n'est pas?

#2 Thunderball8

Thunderball8

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 72 posts

Posted 05 February 2003 - 11:02 PM

After seeing this poster...Which is damn good one, with a really great title....I have to say that Clive would need a bit of work to snag the 007 role.

He'll need a stylist to come up with better hair, and he's got to learn how to "lighten up a bit" physically.

Otherwise...he's got it.

#3 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 05 February 2003 - 11:58 PM

Although I love the poster design, I think this posters proves that Owen is not Bond material. He's definately not the worst possible choice, I just think Owen would change the character as much (if not more) as Dalton did. Although I loved Dalton's films, he's just not a crowd pleaser. EON realized this. Neither would Owen be, because his presence is so different from Bond. Fans would not accept this (just like many dismissed Dalton's interpretation).

However, a movie where he would play a different character (like The Driver from the BMW shortfilms) could make Owen a star. That's the problem. Sure he's a charismatic actor who has star potential. But he's just not right for the part of Bond. As I stated in another thread; I think Owen lacks sex-appeal and the signature good looks of Bond. Same with Sam Neill. He sounded great when you link his name to the part of James Bond. But when you see his screentest, you can't help but think; "Something is not right here."

Can't wait to see future poster designs from marktmurphy.

#4 shaolinfist

shaolinfist

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 24 posts

Posted 06 February 2003 - 02:30 AM

He sort of looks like Lazenby!

#5 Thunderball8

Thunderball8

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 72 posts

Posted 06 February 2003 - 04:46 AM

Clive would obviously try for it, but I agree with crashdrive in that it would be very easy for Clive to lose the role to someone more fitting the formula....Even then, they need someone smooth, but tougher than Brosnan.

There MUST be someone out there. It's just so strange that the choice is not as obvious today as it was back in '94 when we all rooted for Pierce Brosnan.

#6 rubixcub

rubixcub

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 06 February 2003 - 05:27 AM

Cool! From your poster I can see that he really looks the part. Not a bad choice, though I favor Hugh Jackman. Hey! Can you do one for him?

Dave

#7 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 06 February 2003 - 10:56 AM

Originally posted by Thunderball8
There MUST be someone out there. It's just so strange that the choice is not as obvious today as it was back in '94 when we all rooted for Pierce Brosnan.

Tell me about it. All of the candidates for the role are flawed one way of the other. Some are not bad (Hugh Jackman & Dominic West), but I have yet to find an actor I think is just as perfect as Brosnan. Perhaps we are just a bit spoiled the last couple of years. I wasn't too keen on Brosnan when I saw him in 'GoldenEye', but when he made 'Tomorrow Never Dies' & 'The World is Not Enough', he really made the part his own.

#8 RITZ

RITZ

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 06 February 2003 - 02:54 PM

Nice one marktmurphy! I'm all for Clive Owen as next Bond. Read my BMW Films posts.

#9 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 06 February 2003 - 10:04 PM

I don't think he's good looking enough for the public to accept him as James Bond. I don't think he's got the sex appeal. But if he ever gets chosen, maybe I'll change my mind.

#10 Thunderball8

Thunderball8

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 72 posts

Posted 06 February 2003 - 10:27 PM

Hey, remember how everyone first reacted when it was announced that Michael Keaton would be BATMAN? Everyone thought..."nah, too skinny, not tall enough"...

Lo and behold...he's the best movie BATMAN there is.

I heard Connery wasn't exactly top draw for 007 either....I think if EON finally chooses someone (Clive Owen included) it will be because they know they can mold him into James Bond.

#11 Double-Oh-Zero

Double-Oh-Zero

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3167 posts

Posted 07 February 2003 - 01:40 AM

Nifty poster you made there, Mark. I'm pretty well convinced now that Clive is suited for the role. Good job.:)

#12 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 07 February 2003 - 12:07 PM

...remember how everyone first reacted when it was announced that Michael Keaton would be BATMAN?  Everyone thought..."nah, too skinny, not tall enough"...

I heard Connery wasn't exactly top draw for 007 either....I think if EON finally chooses someone (Clive Owen included) it will be because they know they can mold him into James Bond.

There is a difference between the casting of Keaton and the casting of Owen. Burton explained his casting of Keaton perfectly; "what's the point of wearing an intimidating costume if you already look intimidating? I had to find an actor who looked like an accountant." Keaton was perfect for that. Owen on the other hand doesn't look intimidating. A Bond actor should not be molded into a James Bond. That has never happened before. EON picked an actor because they already showed distinctive Bond-esque qualities. Owen on the other hand, just like Harmsway puts it, lacks good looks and sex appeal.

As for Connery, he wasn't a top draw because he was an unknown actor. The reason he got the part is because he looks like a perfect Bond. Same with Lazenby, eventhough he wasn't even an actor. Seems to me that appearance is everything for EON.

#13 Carver

Carver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1470 posts

Posted 07 February 2003 - 10:34 PM

Seeing that poster, I really do think that Owen should play Bond. I favour him over any other actors, particularly over Jackman, as Jackman is way too big (physically). The only thing Owen would have to do really is spend a few weeks in the gym to get himself up to scratch a bit, study some Fleming books, like Dalton did, and he'll be ready for the part, perfect:)

#14 Miss Frost

Miss Frost

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 188 posts

Posted 08 February 2003 - 12:18 AM

Originally posted by Harmsway
I don't think he's good looking enough for the public to accept him as James Bond. I don't think he's got the sex appeal.

For all of you doubting Owen's sex appeal, trust me, has a lot! :) Well, at least he does from a female perspective! :)

#15 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 08 February 2003 - 05:04 PM

But still you gotta admit Miss Frost, that Owen doesn't have the same amount of sexappeal someone like Brosnan has. Brosnan is perfectly believable as a womanizer. Owen on the other hand is more the sensitive type. Some women definately prefer the sensitive type, but that's not who Bond is. That's why I think Owen is not the best possible choice.

An actor like Hugh Jackman on the other hand is perfectly believable as a womanizer. Jackman is 6'3. Only 0'1 higher than the tallest Bonds. I doubt this would be a major problem. Physically he's not that big either. Look at this picture.
Posted Image
I think he has the perfect build to play Bond.

#16 Thunderball8

Thunderball8

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 72 posts

Posted 09 February 2003 - 10:35 PM

Alright crashdrive, I do believe there is such a thing as a womanizer who appears sensitive. Connery acts like that in his 007 movies.

He just sort of switches off to the women when duty calls, or when they become inconvenient, or if he's getting suspicious.

I guess the main thing about Clive Owen is that I really haven't seen him in motion in Croupier (I've only seen stills). I've only seen the BMW movies. I guess he hasn't exactly gotten a Remington Steele-like role where he's supposed to be good-looking.

So he plays down his looks a bit, even in the Croupier stills, even in the BMW movies. So markmurphy's still for Clive, while presentable, probably isn't even "the look" yet Clive would be sporting if he was to take on the role of a dashing, sensitive, womanizer who drinks martinis.

I believe Sam Neill looked quite unusual in his screen test.

#17 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 09 February 2003 - 10:50 PM

Originally posted by crashdrive
Jackman is 6'3. Only 0'1 higher than the tallest Bonds. I doubt this would be a major problem.  

I thought that Connery was 6'3 also. I mean my god Fleming wrote that James Bond was only 6' .

#18 M_Balje

M_Balje

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1564 posts

Posted 09 February 2003 - 11:47 PM

I vote for Owen.
But mabey he must made 2 other englisch spy gerne movies before he play Bond in Bond 23 in 2010.
For Jackman the same rule.
I stil hope that we don't get a new bond before Bond 23.
Brosnan must still play Bond in Bond 22.

#19 M_Balje

M_Balje

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1564 posts

Posted 10 February 2003 - 12:22 AM

Mabey i have an new Bond for Bond number 7.
Colin Farrell,he is now to young for play Bond (27),but mabey after 16 years from now (2019) than is he 43.
He is from Ireland to.
Posted Image

One problem is that as he will play Bond in 2019 we must back to the 2 year's gap after 2013 with the sixth Bond (Clive Owen or somebody elese) and there can make only 4 movie's with this six guy.

2010-2013-2015-2017 in my story 5 movie's. (2 in 2010)

#20 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 10 February 2003 - 12:27 AM

Alright crashdrive, I do believe there is such a thing as a womanizer who appears sensitive.  Connery acts like that in his 007 movies.

So markmurphy's still for Clive, while presentable, probably isn't even "the look" yet Clive would be sporting if he was to take on the role of a dashing, sensitive, womanizer who drinks martinis.

The problem with Owen is that he is believable as the sensitive type, but not as the womanizer. He has played characters like Bond before. 'Sharman' is a good example. In this show he plays a tough private eye. He dressed to impress in that show, but still I thought he's not anything like the suave goodlooking secret agent Bond should be. Here is a picture from 'Sharman'. This is exactly the look he would sport for Bond. You be the judge. Personally I'd prefer Jackman or Dominic West.

As for the height. Fleming's books were written almost half a century ago. Back then 6' was really tall. Since people have grown considerably, so 6'3 is not a bad alternative for a 21st century Bond.

#21 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 10 February 2003 - 12:30 AM

I hope Colin Farrel really doesn't get the role. He's not one of my picks. I wouldn't mind seeing Jackman trying his hand at the role though, because from what I've seen, he's the best of lot that I've seen put forward.

#22 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 10 February 2003 - 12:35 AM

Colin Farrell as Bond number 7? I think it's way too soon even thinking about a replacement for the replacement of Brosnan. And for all we know, Farrell could be a huge star by then. He's already the most (over)hyped 'next-best-thing' ever.

And why should they make two other English spy movies before doing a Bond film? To persuade the public that Owen and/or Jackman would be good choices to play Bond? I trust EON can make that decision without seeing them play a character like Bond first. Heck, Connery got the part after the Broccoli's watched 'Darby O'Gill and the Little People'. Thank God 'The Powers That Be' (thanks to Loomis for that phrase) have a little thing called vision (something a lot of fans lack).

#23 M_Balje

M_Balje

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1564 posts

Posted 10 February 2003 - 12:46 AM

Colin Farrell as Bond number 7? I think it's way too soon even thinking about a replacement for the replacement of Brosnan. And for all we know, Farrell could be a huge star by then. He's already the most (over)hyped 'next-best-thing' ever.  

And why should they make two other English spy movies before doing a Bond film? To persuade the public that Owen and/or Jackman would be good choices to play Bond? I trust EON can make that decision without seeing them play a character like Bond first. Heck, Connery got the part after the Broccoli's watched 'Darby O'Gill and the Little People'. Thank God 'The Powers That Be' (thanks to Loomis for that phrase) have a little thing called vision (something a lot of fans lack).

Right,mabey is it to soon to talk about Bond number 7.
Why there must make an Spy Gerne movie.
Mabey you can see of there have enough Spy look and of there can play emotional scene's.
Right, This decision is for Eon.

#24 Miss Frost

Miss Frost

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 188 posts

Posted 10 February 2003 - 01:41 AM

But still you gotta admit Miss Frost, that Owen doesn't have the same amount of sexappeal someone like Brosnan has. Brosnan is perfectly believable as a womanizer. Owen on the other hand is more the sensitive type. Some women definately prefer the sensitive type, but that's not who Bond is. That's why I think Owen is not the best possible choice.

I guess, you do have a point, Brosnan does have more appeal, even if he is getting a little grey, but Jackman!? He doesn't get my vote, I mean I liked him in Swordfish and all, but in X Men I thought he was really unappealing-give me Cyclops anyday! Maybe that cyclops buy wouldn't be too bad, well once he aged a bit, something Marsden I think...

#25 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 10 February 2003 - 02:47 AM

Originally posted by Miss Frost
I liked him in Swordfish and all, but in X Men I thought he was really unappealing-

Check Jackman out (and I'm sure you will :)) in the Meg Ryan romantic comedy 'Kate and Leopold' where he plays a posh aristocrat lost in the 21 century. Let me know what you think, since his character in that film is more like Bond then Wolverine from 'The X Men'.

#26 Thunderball8

Thunderball8

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 72 posts

Posted 10 February 2003 - 04:18 AM

Well...Jackman's not too bad....but Clive's definitely in the running.
I think the new age of Terror really demands a tougher Bond. Of course, I hope the next guy can do the comedy, too.

Brosnan was a lot like Connery, but without that ruthlessness, and he lacked a bit on the comedy delivery.

#27 M_Balje

M_Balje

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1564 posts

Posted 10 February 2003 - 09:53 AM

I think the new age of Terror really demands a tougher Bond.  Of course, I hope the next guy can do the comedy, too.

Brosnan was a lot like Connery, but without that ruthlessness, and he lacked a bit on the comedy delivery.

As i see: Brosnan is Sean Connery (Hard) and Roger Moore (comedy)Together with a litle bit emotinial from him self.
And that's what we like about Brosnan as Bond.

The Next Bond must have this to with a litle bit more comedy.

#28 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 10 February 2003 - 11:18 AM

I'm curious what you think of the 'Sharman' picture, since it presents best Owen's take on the role of the dashing womanizer who drinks martinis.

#29 RITZ

RITZ

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 10 February 2003 - 11:29 AM

I'm support Owen as the next 007, but I have yet to see more of his film and TV work. I'll have to take a look at "Sharman" - good pics you found crashdrive.

#30 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 10 February 2003 - 12:52 PM

Originally posted by RITZ
I'm support Owen as the next 007, but I have yet to see more of his film and TV work. I'll have to take a look at "Sharman" - good pics you found crashdrive.

Thanks RITZ. You know, it strikes me how many people support Owen, eventhough a good majority of this group have never seen Owen in anything but the BMW films. I guess that's the reason Owen is so popular. I suggest picking up 'Gosford Park' or 'The Richman's Wife' co-starring alongside Bond girl Halle Berry. If you still feel Owen is the man for the job, you have my blessing, but I have a feeling a lot of people will give Owen a second thought.