#31 RITZ

RITZ

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 10 February 2003 - 02:50 PM

Originally posted by crashdrive

Thanks RITZ. You know, it strikes me how many people support Owen, eventhough a good majority of this group have never seen Owen in anything but the BMW films. I guess that's the reason Owen is so popular. I suggest picking up 'Gosford Park' or 'The Richman's Wife' co-starring alongside Bond girl Halle Berry. If you still feel Owen is the man for the job, you have my blessing, but I have a feeling a lot of people will give Owen a second thought.

I loved the BMW Films work because I was a former member of the BMW Car Club GB - thats why I got so excited about Owen(I must admit the BMW Films didn't stretch his acting skills to the limit). I'll try and look at some of the films you mentioned though:)

#32 Thunderball8

Thunderball8

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 72 posts

Posted 10 February 2003 - 10:36 PM

Well crashdrive, I did see Clive Owen in that comedy where he plays a gardener in a prison. He had that cold quality which I felt was missing from the emotional Brosnan-bond.

But he was also surprisingly funny.

I can see why some people think he can do Bond. It's because he can look happy or angry and he looks like two different people in either face...kind of like Connery was back in FRWL.

However, you've got me there in the good looks department. Clive's "Sharman" is not exactly Remington Steele quality.

#33 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 10 February 2003 - 11:57 PM

Great to see that many people now think twice before supporting an actor to be the next Bond. Although I can be stubborn sometimes (most of the times), I don't feel the need to convince someone I'm right and they are wrong. All I want is for people to look at their opinions with a new set of eyes.

With Owen for example, I got the feeling a lot of people supported him, because he's the best choice who has auditioned for the part (Owen auditioned in 1994). Not because he's the best possible choice. I love Owen. I've probably seen more films and shows starring Owen then most people here. I hope he'll be a big star someday. The idea of casting Owen as Bond sounds great when you first hear about it. But when you see him on screen saying those immortal lines; "The name is Bond, James Bond," I'm sure many people would discover that Owen may not have been the best possible choice. If Owen were to be cast, I expect a Dalton-esque backlash from fans all over the world.

#34 ray t

ray t

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1394 posts

Posted 11 February 2003 - 02:11 AM

one of the criteria (PROBABLY THE BIGGEST CRITERIA) for playing bond is that you have to believe that he can bed any woman in the world....that any woman will melt under his looks/charm.

sean had it. roger did. pierce definitely did.

clive owen dose not fit that specific bill completely. looking at that poster proves it

hugh jackman does fit that bill.

EON will make the right choice. and they wont make a "dalton-type" error in which he truly was not more than a second choice to pierce to begin with

#35 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 11 February 2003 - 11:23 AM

Originally posted by ray t
on of the criteria (PROBABLY THE BIGGEST CRITERIA) for playing bond is that you have to believe that he can bed any woman in the world....
... clive owen dose not fit that specific bill completely. looking at that poster proves it

hugh jackman does fit that bill.

I agree 100 %. My thoughts exactly

#36 Miss Frost

Miss Frost

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 188 posts

Posted 12 February 2003 - 11:05 PM

Check Jackman out (and I'm sure you will :)) in the Meg Ryan romantic comedy 'Kate and Leopold' where he plays a posh aristocrat lost in the 21 century. Let me know what you think, since his character in that film is more like Bond then Wolverine from 'The X Men'.

I would if I could bring myself to sit through a 'chick flick', but I can't see it happening, though I will check out pictures of him in the role.

Umm, this may seem a little obvious, but I think we may be missing something...Jackman is Australian...and I don't think I'm alone in thinking the last Aussie wasn't up to scratch...

#37 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 13 February 2003 - 12:12 AM

Originally posted by Miss Frost
Umm, this may seem a little obvious, but I think we may be missing something...Jackman is Australian...and I don't think I'm alone in thinking the last Aussie wasn't up to scratch...

Yes, but the big diference is that Jackman has a proven track record of acting ability.

I did see "Kate And Leopold," and thought, in parts at least, he showed some Bondian signs. In particular, the horse-riding scene.

#38 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 13 February 2003 - 12:24 AM

I really don't see him as Bond . What is this based on "The Croupier". Is so far as the "young Sean Connery" thing i frankly do not see it. What make you thing that he would be a good Bond. When did he audition for the role ? Not during the hunt for a replacement for Dalton. Most knew that it's was Brosnan if he wanted it. This is where EON misleads the fans/public with these "stupid" auditions for a new Bond. It happen every time they (the Producer's ) what to go cheap. And hire some for less than the person in the role now. They did it to Roger Moore , and now that Brosnan get $15 million a pic they do to to him.

#39 Thunderball8

Thunderball8

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 72 posts

Posted 13 February 2003 - 04:22 AM

I think it's just that it's never too late to be looking after who could be the next 007.

They had to scramble in getting Dalton last time....They just want to have more options if it comes down to crunch time.

#40 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 13 February 2003 - 10:38 AM

Originally posted by kevrichardson
I really don't see him as Bond . What is this based on "The Croupier". Is so far as the "young Sean Connery" thing i frankly do not see it. What make you thing that he would be a good Bond.

I watched 'The Bourne Identity' yesterday again (great picture) and, although I love every second Owen is onscreen, he just doesn't strike me as a James Bond actor. He auditioned in 1994 (alongside nine other hopefulls). To the best of my knowledge Jackman has not auditioned for the part, but he did say in an interview he would accept the part if EON would offer it to him. Did you know Barbara Broccoli visited one of his plays before he starred in 'X Men'? He's definately one of the candidates.

Originally posted by Thunderball8
They had to scramble in getting Dalton last time....

But the difference is that Dalton was approached long before Brosnan ever walked into the picture. EON has to have a possible replacement for Brosnan if he were to step down. There must be an actor walking around who could replace Bond any second. But who is he?

#41 Thunderball8

Thunderball8

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 72 posts

Posted 13 February 2003 - 10:20 PM

Hugh Jackman is probably out of the question now that X-MEN is on the verge of multiple sequels.

Imagine the scheduling nightmare.

#42 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 14 February 2003 - 12:10 AM

Originally posted by Thunderball8
Hugh Jackman is probably out of the question now that X-MEN is on the verge of multiple sequels. Imagine the scheduling nightmare.

I'm sure this won't be a problem. Stewart had time to make another 'Star Trek' sequel in his offtime, 'McKellen' starred in all three of the 'Lord of the Rings' films and Berry even starred in 'Die Another Day'. I'm sure they will find a way of eliminating any scheduling difficulties. Especially if the trend of one Bond film every three years continues.

#43 Thunderball8

Thunderball8

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 72 posts

Posted 14 February 2003 - 04:41 AM

But I do remember comments way back about how EON wanted 007 to appear "exclusive" in particular to the Brosnan-controversy way back in the late 80's (the "Remington Still" issue)

#44 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 14 February 2003 - 12:28 PM

Since there already is discussion about a potential 'Thomas Crown' franchise and also a 'Thin Men' franchise both starring him and Renee Russo, I don't think these comments are accurate. And even if they are. Brosnan will step down in 2007 (or maybe even later). In the mean time, Singer and his gang have the opportunity to complete two new sequels. Since Superhero franchises often quit after the third sequel, I'm sure Jackman's schedule will be free around the time Bond drives into town.

#45 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 14 February 2003 - 11:17 PM

who wants a "Thomas Crown" franchise ? Not Brosnan ,planning for the future. I doubt it would work. The "TCA" was just a good re-make of a great film. Who said franchise. Both Brosnan and Russo were good bit not enough for sustain a film series. rob who next the Lovure ?

#46 M_Balje

M_Balje

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1564 posts

Posted 15 February 2003 - 12:06 PM

New Discussion about Clive Owen as Bond.

Clive Owen on what for Bond must he Look like.
The Hard Sean Connery
The Funny Roger Moore
The sensitive Timothy Dalton
Or The Hard,Funny and sensitive Pierce Brosnan.

#47 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 15 February 2003 - 03:42 PM

Originally posted by M_Balje
New Discussion about Clive Owen as Bond.
Clive Owen on what for Bond must he Look like.
The Hard Sean Connery
The Funny Roger Moore
The sensitive Timothy Dalton
Or The Hard,Funny and sensitive Pierce Brosnan.

Clive Owen does not have the qualities to become "James Bond". Let's face it. He was just a guy whose name is used to create interest in the search for a new Bond. all media hype!

#48 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 15 February 2003 - 05:32 PM

Originally posted by kevrichardson
He was just a guy whose name is used to create interest in the search for a new Bond. all media hype!

With the difference that Owen actually auditioned for the part unlike actors like Gerard Butler. Still I agree Owen is not Bond material. These rumours always come from the States. Maybe they felt the need to promote 'Croupier' that way. Guess Yanks don't want to see an English film where the main actor is not a (potential) Bond actor.

#49 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 15 February 2003 - 06:08 PM

With the difference that Owen actually auditioned for the part unlike actors like Gerard Butler. Still I agree Owen is not Bond material. These rumours always come from the States. Maybe they felt the need to promote 'Croupier' that way. Guess Yanks don't want to see an English film where the main actor is not a (potential) Bond actor.

The may be they should look at them a potential Sherlock Holmes . Most of these guy like Owen . Starred in those BBC /ITV crime dramas , which i guess act as a breding groung for potential Bond's like the "Saint" did for Roger Moore.

#50 M_Balje

M_Balje

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1564 posts

Posted 16 February 2003 - 10:12 PM

Sorry that i go off topic again,but I have found an better picture of Colin Farrell in Minoty Report.

Posted Image

#51 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 17 February 2003 - 06:25 PM

Personally I don't think Farrell is the Bond type. He's more like Crowe. The new bad boy of Hollywood. I don't think he'll be believable as a gentleman.

#52 RITZ

RITZ

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 17 February 2003 - 07:50 PM

He's more like Crowe.

Interesting fact: John Glen reckons Russell Crowe would make a good James Bond.

I can see it now as he says the imortal lines;

"My name is James Bond, commander of the Royal Navy, husband to a murdered wife and employee of the true emperor "M". And I will have my vengence is this mission or the next!"

#53 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 18 February 2003 - 10:00 PM

Originally posted by RITZ
Interesting fact: John Glen reckons Russell Crowe would make a good James Bond.

No wonder EON replaced him for 'GoldenEye' :)

#54 BONDFINESSE 007

BONDFINESSE 007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 18 February 2003 - 11:55 PM

my god times must really be bad when west and owen are being spoken in the same breath as james bond

#55 Miss Frost

Miss Frost

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 188 posts

Posted 19 February 2003 - 01:24 AM

Okay, so he isn't as good looking as Brosnan (who is!?) but what about Colin Firth aka Mr Darcy from Pride and Prejudice? He's certainly old enough, and can pull off a suit.

Damn it, picking the next Bond shouldn't be so bloody hard!

#56 BONDFINESSE 007

BONDFINESSE 007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 19 February 2003 - 02:46 AM

colin might just work, need more pics to be sure though

#57 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 19 February 2003 - 07:28 AM

Originally posted by Miss Frost
what about Colin Firth aka Mr Darcy from Pride and Prejudice? Damn it, picking the next Bond shouldn't be so bloody hard!

Unfortunately it is. Firth, although a choice I could definately live with, will be too old by the time Brosnan steps down. If Brosnan quits in 2005, the first Non-Brosnan Bond film will be released in 2007/2008. Firth will be in 48. The actor should be around 40 (preferably younger).

It's going to be extremely difficult finding the right actor. But have faith, they must be someone out there. My vote goes to Hugh Jackman and Domininc West.

#58 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 19 February 2003 - 02:15 PM

Personally I don't think Farrell is the Bond type. He's more like Crowe. The new bad boy of Hollywood. I don't think he'll be believable as a gentleman.

We have gone down onthe evolutionary scale have we . With Russell Crowe as Bond.

#59 Miss Frost

Miss Frost

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 188 posts

Posted 28 February 2003 - 12:11 AM

Crowe has all the sex appeal of a mouldy sponge! ~shudders~

You have a point about Firth being a little old though. Damn. I'm just glad the final decision won't come down to me! ~LOL~

#60 White Tuxedo

White Tuxedo

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 28 February 2003 - 01:05 AM

I like Clive Owen, but I doubt he'll be picked to be the next Bond. I'd love to see him a really hard-edge Bond film, but the public wouldn't like him.