#31 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 21 February 2003 - 12:43 AM

Originally posted by Johnson Galore
It's not sad!  Look how successfully this series has been transitioned over and over again.  There is a great new Bond out there and it may not even be one of the names that gets thrown around on this list all the time.  1 more for Brosnan- max!  He's in Octopussy territory right now and we don't want to have to see him in AVTAK- territory, do we?

If you paid more attention to the threads and the post. This one of the problems that has been discussed. With DAD , Brosnan is moving close to what i have called "Roger Moore syndrome". I.E. a eldely male running around in expensive sports cars, designer suit , using exotic guns . With women old enough to be his daughter. While collecting his civil service pension . This is why (if you read the post more careful) Bond 21 will be his last.

#32 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 21 February 2003 - 12:46 AM

It's not sad!  Look how successfully this series has been transitioned over and over again.  

Exactly! I find the search for a new Bond always to be very exciting. That's why it's so much fun talking about it. I'm glad Brosnan will make one more. If he looks good enough for 'Bond 22', I'd love Brosnan to return for another one, but I really can't wait to find out who'll be Bond number 6. Cheer up kev, there are a couple of good actors out there. Bond is forever.

#33 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 21 February 2003 - 12:48 AM

Originally posted by kevrichardson
If you paid more attention to the threads and the post. This one of the problems that has been discussed.  With DAD , Brosnan is moving close to what i have called "Roger Moore syndrome".  I.E. a eldely male running around in expensive sports cars, designer suit , using exotic guns . With women old enough to be his daughter. While collecting his civil service pension .  This is why (if you read the post more careful) Bond 21 will be his last.

Uhmm kev, that's exactly what he's saying. All he's saying is to cheer up and be positive :)

#34 Johnson Galore

Johnson Galore

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 232 posts

Posted 22 February 2003 - 12:15 AM

Originally posted by crashdrive

Uhmm kev, that's exactly what he's saying. All he's saying is to cheer up and be positive :)

Thanks for the back-up, Crash. It seems to me the series may not exist anymore had Connery never left the role. I love his work, but would the films have gone the way of Lethal Weapon or Die Hard at some point? The change of actors keeps the series from going stagnant. Every time there is a change, there is an obvious energy in the new films. The whole production and writing team has to re-think everything that they do. I'm looking forward to a new actor, regardless of who it is. The series will go on, despite the nay-sayers.

#35 Johnson Galore

Johnson Galore

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 232 posts

Posted 22 February 2003 - 12:20 AM

If you paid more attention to the threads and the post. This one of the problems that has been discussed.  With DAD , Brosnan is moving close to what i have called "Roger Moore syndrome".  I.E. a eldely male running around in expensive sports cars, designer suit , using exotic guns . With women old enough to be his daughter. While collecting his civil service pension .  This is why (if you read the post more careful) Bond 21 will be his last.

Ok, Kev, I've gone back and carefully read every word. Here's my concern- what are you so angry about? It's James Bond, for crying out loud. Have fun with it!

#36 BONDFINESSE 007

BONDFINESSE 007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 22 February 2003 - 03:07 AM

It's not sad!  Look how successfully this series has been transitioned over and over again.  There is a great new Bond out there and it may not even be one of the names that gets thrown around on this list all the time.  1 more for Brosnan- max!  He's in Octopussy territory right now and we don't want to have to see him in AVTAK- territory, do we?

it would take 6 more for brozzie to hit AVTAK TERRITORY so i am not afraid of two more

#37 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 22 February 2003 - 03:46 PM

Originally posted by BONDFINESSE 007
it would take 6 more for brozzie to hit AVTAK TERRITORY so i am not afraid of two more

6 more what ? Years or film or both ? I liked "AVTAK" when released in 1985 . Still regardless of what other say . We will be in that territory again with Bond 22 . No more for Brosnan after 2005.

#38 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 22 February 2003 - 04:31 PM

This is why (if you read the post more careful) Bond 21 will be his last.

This insightful.

Let's just hope that Eon, MGM and Brosnan are aware of your knowledge in all these areas and understand their obligations.

#39 Johnson Galore

Johnson Galore

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 232 posts

Posted 22 February 2003 - 04:35 PM

6 more what ? Years or film or both ?  I liked "AVTAK" when released in 1985 . Still regardless of what other say .  We will be in that territory again with Bond 22 . No more for Brosnan after 2005.

I've got to agree on both points. AVTAK is a fun film. Brosnan should be done after the next one. When Roger is Bond, the series was humorous and fantastic. When Brosnan is Bond, the series is, generally, darkly serious. In a fantasy, Moore can be Bond in high action sequences. Played seriosuly, Brosnan will not be able to be believed at that age. Either time to hire someone else to play it seriously or start taking Brosnan down a more fantastic path with lots of humor.

#40 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 22 February 2003 - 04:38 PM

Originally posted by Simon

This insightful.
Let's just hope that Eon, MGM and Brosnan are aware of your knowledge in all these areas and understand their obligations.

Very funny !! It will show in the box -office returns . So my "knowledge" will have no meaning. Plus their obligations are not to you or me (as fans). Your a fool to believe that , it's too the shareholders of MGM stock . Look at MGM's financial balance sheet . DAD 's success helped the stock climb for it's last quarter . If you read more than these post , it was reported that a rough cut of the film was shown too shareholder . In order to reassure the market.

#41 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 22 February 2003 - 04:50 PM

Very funny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I will show you in the box-office returns.  So my "knowledge" will have no meaning.  Plus their obligations are not to you or me (as fans). You're a fool to believe that, it's to the shareholders of MGM stock.  
Look at MGM's financial balance sheet.   DAD's success helped the stock climb for it's last quarter.  If you read more than these post, it was reported that a rough cut of the film was shown to the shareholders in order to boost and reassure the market.

I am understanding better now.

Quite veritably I have been wandering blind through a maelstrom of facts and figures. Quite how I had the audacity to call myself a fan of the Bond canon is beyond me.

Suffice it to say that I bow to your knowledge and will forever consider you to be the Great Panjandram of Bond Wisdom.

#42 BONDFINESSE 007

BONDFINESSE 007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 22 February 2003 - 07:48 PM

I REALLY THINK BROSNAN HAS TWO MORE FILMS TO GO AND I THINK WE WILL SEE THAT HAPPEN, THERES NO ONE READY TO STEP IN SO WHY NOT LET BROS HAVE it, and as the saying goes better the bond you know then the bond u dont, i would rather brosnan do 5 more then to bring in someone like another lazenby to **** it up

#43 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 22 February 2003 - 07:57 PM

I REALLY THINK BROSNAN HAS TWO MORE FILMS TO GO AND  I THINK WE WILL SEE THAT HAPPEN, THERES NO ONE READY TO STEP IN SO WHY NOT LET BROS HAVE it, and as the saying goes better the bond you know then the bond u dont, i would rather brosnan do 5 more then to bring in someone like another lazenby to **** it up

Lazenby was not that bad as Bond . "OHMSS" is allway list as the fans favorite . Also it was the best selling among the VHS/DVD beating out the beloved "Goldfinger". Lazenby was a victim of his own ego and the greed of others. Let's see what happens with Bond 21 . And what kind of shape that Brosnan is in physically . Plus what type of film it will be. If it another DAD ( which it will be ) . Then i feel that he will hang up his Walther p99 . Also he has something that Connery nor Moore had to fall back on . His production company , it has produced some quaility films over the last 6 years.

#44 BONDFINESSE 007

BONDFINESSE 007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 22 February 2003 - 08:48 PM

Lazenby was not that bad as Bond . "OHMSS" is allway list as the fans favorite . Also it was the best selling among the VHS/DVD beating out the beloved "Goldfinger". Lazenby was a victim of his own ego and the greed of others.  Let's see what happens with Bond 21 . And what kind of shape that Brosnan is in physically . Plus what type of film it will be. If it another DAD ( which it will be ) . Then i feel that he will hang up his Walther p99 .  Also he has something that Connery nor Moore had to fall back on . His production company , it has produced some quaility films over the last 6 years.

thats what i am going to do is just wait and see how it all goes, but now i think i am going to watch the world is not enough........and u know why lol:D

#45 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 22 February 2003 - 09:04 PM

thats what i am going to do is just wait and see how it all goes, but now i think i am going to watch the world is not enough........and u know why lol:D

Great don't let Sophie Marceau get in the way of pleasure.

#46 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 23 February 2003 - 10:27 AM

I REALLY THINK BROSNAN HAS TWO MORE FILMS TO GO AND  I THINK WE WILL SEE THAT HAPPEN, THERES NO ONE READY TO STEP IN SO WHY NOT LET BROS HAVE it

If Brosnan quits in 2005, there are still a couple of good candidates who are not too old (Jeremy Northam comes too mind), but if you wait another two to three years, I think we can forget about Northam (who will be too old), Jackman (who will be too expensive) and Owen (who will probably be too bald :)).

#47 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 23 February 2003 - 05:33 PM

If Brosnan quits in 2005, there are still a couple of good candidates who are not too old (Jeremy Northam comes too mind), but if you wait another two to three years, I think we can forget about Northam (who will be too old), Jackman (who will be too expensive) and Owen (who will probably be too bald :)).

Northam is in my mind the front runner . I am amazed that we still are "searching" for replacement . Since we have to establish what type of film Bond 21 will be . Hence how the future of the series . Norhtam is the only thai i know who is not involved in a action series like Jackman. Let's agree that after Bond 21 , Brosnan done!!!

#48 SirMiles83

SirMiles83

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 363 posts

Posted 23 February 2003 - 06:57 PM

How about Jason Issacs? He was great in The Patriot. He even looks like Timothy Dalton. Although I've seen in some pictures with him having a receding hairline, nothing that would stop him. He is also a pretty good actor.

#49 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 23 February 2003 - 09:20 PM

Originally posted by SirMiles83
How about Jason Issacs?

Jason Isaacs was one of twelve actors who auditioned for the part back in 94. Although personally I don't think he is right for it(at 5'11 a little short for the part and not handsome enough), he's without a doubt a valid candidate. He'll be around 44 if Brosnan retires from the role (which is a suitable age). He has action experience ('Armageddon', 'Soldier', 'Black Hawk Down'), is a terrific actor ('The End of the Affair', 'Passionada'), already played in another big franchise ('Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets') and fits the Bond persona (he played a Bond-like secret agent in 'The Tuxedo'). He certainly has a receding hairline though. Personally I can't see it (I think he's more the Kevin Spacey type), but maybe there are some out there who can. Strange you would find he looks like Dalton. I think he looks more like Connery myself.

#50 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 23 February 2003 - 09:32 PM

Northam is in my mind the front runner . I am amazed that we still are "searching" for replacement . Since we have to establish what type of film Bond 21 will be . Let's agree that after Bond 21 , Brosnan done!!!

I think not even EON have established for themselves what the tone of 'Bond 21' will be, let alone 'Bond 22'. Loomis said something before that all the Bond scripts are inexchangeable between the Bond actors. Although I don't agree 100 %, maybe he does have a point.

I still say Jackman is the frontrunner. Not until his pricetage is too high or his schedule too crowded for EON, would I change my mind. I very much like Northam, but he moves close (perhaps too close) to Dalton territory. Something I (and many of the hardcore fans/ purist) would love, but I think MGM might have problem with after the boxoffice failure of Dalton's films (which, I know kev, wasn't his fault, but MGM blamed Dalton anyway). Clive Owen has the same problem as Northam. His advantage is that he's a couple years younger. His disadvantages are his below-par looks and the fact his star in Hollywood is rising (he's in talks to play the titlerole of 'King Arthur' in the new Bruckheimer production).

But I don't think you could say with 100 % certainty Brosnan will retire after 'Bond 21'. Granted, the odds are against him, but if Moore could play Bond until his 58th birthday, I'm sure 'Babyface Brosnan' can do the same. He'll be 'only' 53 when shooting starts.

#51 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 23 February 2003 - 09:57 PM

MGM said more of DAD so that is the foundation that they (EON) will have to build on. Remember MGM is the financier , it's there bankroll thats use. I recall wheen the series was revived read how work was started on the Scripts for Bond 18 (TND) and Bond 19 (TWINE) before "GoldenEye (Bond 17) was released . Jackman as the frontrunner . That's a question mark . The Broccoli aren't even saying that they are looking for a replacement . A tradition started during the Moore years to keep his price down . This time i feel they know Brosnan is Bond . Like with Connery the audience will not look kindly upon a replacement until it's apparent that Brosnan too old to continue. Below par-looks ? Which one Northam or Owen? What does that mean . Need a better explaination . The two guy makes films for god sake . Telegentic enough to do that . If he became Bond their are enough "dresser" between Lindy Hemming's crew to get him up to stuff . Plus $2500 Brioni suits make even the worst african dictator look good. I am sure it would work wonders on Northam. All the Bond script are written for the Bond of the moment . I don't think they are interchangeable . In fact "OHMSS" was written for Connery . "TLD" was written for Moore , it was just "adjusted" . Babyface Brosnan was "Remington Steele" that was 15 years age . Plus many pint of stout . I don't think it will go beyond this one (Bond 21) . Jolly Roger Moore was 58 at the time of "AVTAK" . If he was American , the AARP (the American Association of Retired Persons) might have prevented his making the movie . Due to cruel and usually punishment to the elderly . Plus i doubt any insurance carrier would cover the cost ,in case of injury .

#52 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 23 February 2003 - 11:07 PM

Still I think there's no way we could figure out what EON is up to. Unlike casting and picking directors, EON does not have a magic formula for this. We'll just have to wait and see.

EON is looking for a replacement. Of course they would not make this public, but that's just the way they work. They tested people in 1999 (Roache, Gruffudd, Cake, McGann) when Brosnan was in his prime. They start looking for replacements the moment the contract of the current Bond actor runs out.

If Jackman is not the frontrunner, than who is?

With below-par looks I mean Owen is not attractive like Connery, Lazenby, Moore, Dalton and especially Brosnan. Sure he's good-looking, but he doesn't have that magical sexual appeal the former Bond actors had. Northam looks good enough. He's no Brosnan, but he is probably as attractive (if not more) than Dalton.

And again, Bond 21 will probably be Brosnan's last, but 'never say never... *ahum* (...again)

#53 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 23 February 2003 - 11:25 PM

THey also did this during tha Moore year as i said earlier to frighten the star into a cheaper contract . This how i recall Rupert Everett 's name came up.

#54 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 25 February 2003 - 07:57 PM

In an interview with columnists Marilyn Beck and Stacy Jenel Smith, Brosnan says he could see possibly starring in two more James Bond pics, but no more. After that, "It would be time to hang it up," he says. "You simply get too old for a role. You give it your best, then it's time to move on. You reach a point when you have to step off the stage. If you don't have 150 percent physical commitment to a scene, if you're bored or scared, or simply aren't up to the work, you're going to get hurt."

There you have at, two more James Bond pics. That means Brosnan will probably retire in 2007/2008 with his sixth Bond film at the age of 54. The first Bond film with Bond actor number six will be released in 2010.

#55 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 25 February 2003 - 08:26 PM

In an interview with columnists Marilyn Beck and Stacy Jenel Smith, Brosnan says he could see possibly starring in two more James Bond pics, but no more. After that, "It would be time to hang it up," he says. "You simply get too old for a role. You give it your best, then it's time to move on. You reach a point when you have to step off the stage. If you don't have 150 percent physical commitment to a scene, if you're bored or scared, or simply aren't up to the work, you're going to get hurt."
There you have at, two more James Bond pics. That means Brosnan will probably retire in 2007/2008 with his sixth Bond film at the age of 54. The first Bond film with Bond actor number six will be released in 2010.

Let's see what happens with Bond 21 first then . We will worry about Bond 22 . Nice to see you except the new three (3) year rule as final . Brosnan will be close to Roger Moore syndrome. I just saw a picture of him with out his hair dyed . If my be a problem .Since he has recently stated that he will no longer dye it. Remember Connery in "NSNA" Awful, just awful !!!!!!!!

#56 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 25 February 2003 - 09:06 PM

I think Brosnan looked just great in 'DAD'. He had the same age Moore had in 'TSWLM'. I think 54 is a good age to retire from the role. Although he may not dye his hair in public, I'm sure he will for the part of Bond. Connery aged a lot quicker than Brosnan, so I don't think there's a point comparing them.

I've always accepted the 3 year rule, but I don't think it's final. We could expect the return of the good-old 2 year rule if Brosnan steps down.

I doubt 'Bond 21' could be a boxoffice failure. 'DAD' was a big hit and a lot of the critics and fans loved it. Brosnan could be the most popular Bond. As long as Pierce wears the tux, I don't think there's a chance one of his movies will fail at the boxoffice. I guess it's save to say we can expect two more Brosnan Bonds.

But if the next Bond will first appear on the big screen in 2010, I guess 'the young ones' have the best shot; Dominic West ('Chicago', '28 Days' & 'Mona Lisa Smile'), Jack Davenport ('The Talented Mr. Ripley', 'Fierce Creatures' & 'Pirates of the Caribbean') & Ioan Gruffudd ('Hornblower', '102 Dalmatians' & 'Black Hawk Down'). They'll be in their late thirties. Perfect age to replace Brosnan and to become James Bond for a whole new generation. (can't believe I'll be 29 that year :)) One thing is for sure, Brosnan's replacement will have to carry an even bigger burden than his predecessor. Hope EON can find one who is up to the task.

#57 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 25 February 2003 - 09:46 PM

I will not debate you on the future replacements. One reason is outside of Jackman , Northam , no one is that impressive. Brosnan looked okay in "DAD" . Moore was great in "TSWLM" , started to age gracefully in "FYEO" . And got away with it in "Octopussy" . "AVTAK" will we know the results . Brosnan is close to what i call "Roger Moore Syndrome" . He is geting old . Plus you contradict your self when you speak of age and Northam . Moore was 46 years old , as he took over Bond . Connery was just damn ****ing fat in "DAF" . Plus had a bad wig. EON may not be up for that task . Time will tell!!!!

#58 crashdrive

crashdrive

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 25 February 2003 - 10:33 PM

I think Brosnan looked better in 'DAD' than Moore in 'TSWLM'. Brosnan was voted 'sexiest man of the year'. Moore would never have gotten that title.
I didn't contradict myself. I said that Northam would be too old if Brosnan retires after Bond 22. Northam will be 49! That's way too old.
And if you will not debate future replacements with me, we might aswell close this thread, right? Like you say, time will tell. Some actors may have matured into the role. But history has proved that EON is always up for the task.

#59 White Tuxedo

White Tuxedo

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 26 February 2003 - 05:10 AM

EON has a few years to keep their eyes peeled for Bond #6. There are plenty of actors out there, so I don't worry.

I really enjoy Clive Owen, but he wouldn't work as Bond. He'd be a great James Bond in theory, but the audiences might not think so.

Hugh Jackman just doesn't work for me. I can't put my finger on it, but something rules him out to me.

#60 M_Balje

M_Balje

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1564 posts

Posted 26 February 2003 - 02:50 PM

But if the next Bond will first appear on the big screen in 2010, I guess 'the young ones' have the best shot; Dominic West ('Chicago', '28 Days' & 'Mona Lisa Smile'), Jack Davenport ('The Talented Mr. Ripley', 'Fierce Creatures' & 'Pirates of the Caribbean') & Ioan Gruffudd ('Hornblower', '102 Dalmatians' & 'Black Hawk Down'). They'll be in their late thirties. Perfect age to replace Brosnan and to become James Bond for a whole new generation. (can't believe I'll be 29 that year :)) One thing is for sure, Brosnan's replacement will have to carry an even bigger burden than his predecessor. Hope EON can find one who is up to the task.

You vergot one !! Clive Owen :) You know my story about that.
(2010-2010-2013-2015-2017or2018)
Iam 30 on 30 July 2010.:)
All the good guys of 45 can play Bond in my Story.