77 replies to this topic

#1 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 24 December 2002 - 04:22 PM

Who would people like to see take over the role of M, after Judi Dench turns in her Rolodex???
I would jokingly say John Cleese, but I wonder if Colin Salmon would make a good M...

OR, how about Sean Connery or Roger Moore??????!!!!! I know Sean wouldn't do it because he has that pay dispute with EON Prod.

#2 Double-0 Six

Double-0 Six

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 411 posts

Posted 24 December 2002 - 04:34 PM

Anthony Hopkins and Edward Woodward would both be good as M should be more of a father figure to Bond. There aren't really that many "older" British actors who wouldn't demand too much money, etc.

I was going to suggest another of the Monty Python team, but that would be a bit too much I think ...

M : Ah, Q, show 007 your latest device.
Q : Well, we have this dead parrot that can turn into a gun, it's activated by saying "Ni!" in a very high-pitched voice.
M : You mean (clears throat) - Ni!
Q : Yes, that's right. Ni!
M : Ni!
Q : Ni! Ni!
Bond : I knew I should have transferred to the Ministry of Silly Walks.

:) Hey, it's Christmas, I'm going mad!! :)

#3 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 24 December 2002 - 04:53 PM

My number one choice, by a mile, would be Alan Rickman.

Apart from which, why not have an M who's vaguely Bond's age, or maybe even younger? I'm not suggesting someone in his/her early 30s, by the way (obviously, such a high-level post would demand a certain level of seniority and experience), but a 40-something actor might be okay.

#4 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 24 December 2002 - 06:00 PM

I think Anthony Hopkins already played the M role in Mission Impossible 2. He also played a spy chief in Bad Company (although he was more of a field agent in that movie)

#5 Carver

Carver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1470 posts

Posted 24 December 2002 - 09:57 PM

Well, my first 2 choices are definatly Anthony Hopkins and Patrick Stewart, but I'd like to see Dame Judi Dench go on for as long as she would like to, as she is such a brilliant actress, and perfect for the role of the first lady head of MI6. If she does retite early, then I'd like to see it going back to a male M, as my choices say, I'd like a good actor for the role, and a straight talking one too, which is why I suggest Hopkins and Stewart, both are brilliant actors, and straight talking, they could make brilliant heads of MI6, either of them. In answer to Loomis' suggestion, I no way agree. It wouldn't be a very good idea for a younger/same age head of MI6 to order Bond around. All the Ms have been older, wiser and strict, which is why the actors have to be older, a younger head would be unlikely to give Bond his orders. Also, the MI6 heads have been father/mother figures to Bond, in the way in which he looks up to them in repect and admiration, a younger head wouldn't be suitable for this.

#6 SeanValen00V

SeanValen00V

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1518 posts

Posted 24 December 2002 - 10:19 PM

Another one for Patrick Stewart, his scenes just flow of authority, after Picard in trek, he shaked that off by being Professor X in X Men, and M in Bond would be another welcome for him.

Hey anyone see that Alister Mclains's Death Train?

Starring Pierce Bronsnan and Patrick Stewart. I remember watching years ago, Pierce has this sonic type short haircut, younger, before goldeneye. Can buy it cheap on dvd, it's alright entertainment, been a while, but Patrick and Pierce, good chemistry.

I like Hopkins as well, lets see if he's used again in Mission Impossible 3, although Hopkins is so great, it's kinda cruel to use him as M, as he's capable of more, I say use Hopkins only as a villian, be better for him, if they ever use him.

While I'm at it, I liked Pierce in Live Wire as well, people who blow up after drinking water, chemical explosions etc.

#7 SeanValen00V

SeanValen00V

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1518 posts

Posted 24 December 2002 - 10:32 PM

Edward Woodard is a great actor, but he's very old now, I think if they got him around the time he was doing The Equalizer, he would be alright, I know M is experienced and all that, but Edward has been around for ages, and with 3 year gap between Bond films, just asking a bit too much for him to do the role consistently, and although not important, I prefer him with hair, he's bald now, liked him in Equalizer alot, and even then he was playing a old character in the late 80s. Judi Dench likes the role, probabley be around for a while.

#8 Carver

Carver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1470 posts

Posted 24 December 2002 - 10:48 PM

Yeah, I've seen Death Train as well Sean, a bit of a dodgy film, but Brosnan and Stewart do have good chemistry, which would work well together in a future Bond film. Another thing to note, is that TMWTGG's Christopher Lee plays the main villian in Death Train, a Russian army member in fact.

#9 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 25 December 2002 - 05:35 AM

Umm...folks...what about Michael Kitchen? Don't you all think Tanner deserves a promotion????

And if not Tanner, then my vote goes first to Edward Woodward, then to Michael Caine.

I know everyone is fond of Patrick Stewart...but somehow he doesn't quite strike me as M. material.

-- Xenobia

#10 BONDFINESSE 007

BONDFINESSE 007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 25 December 2002 - 06:30 AM

edward woodward does seem a good one to play m, who knows he might get it. does anyone know how old he is? someone said he might be to old to play m, so i am going to look him up on the computer and find out

#11 BONDFINESSE 007

BONDFINESSE 007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 25 December 2002 - 06:43 AM

edward woodward is going to be 73 in june...is that to old to play m?

#12 M_Balje

M_Balje

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1564 posts

Posted 26 December 2002 - 10:53 AM

Picture of Edward woodward

Posted Image

Now 72 years old.

Patrick Stewart

Posted Image

Now 62 years old

Michael Caine

Posted Image

Now 69 years old.

#13 M_Balje

M_Balje

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1564 posts

Posted 26 December 2002 - 11:11 AM

Originally posted by BONDFINESSE 007
edward woodward is going to be 73 in june...is that to old to play m?

Bernard Lee begon on 54 years old in Dr No and ending in Moonraker on 71 years old.
He die 6 days after his 73 birthday on 16 January 1981.:)

Robert Brown play Admiral Hargreaves on 59 years old in TSWLM.
He play M for the first time in Octopussy on the age of 65 and for the last time in 1989 on the age of 71.
He die in 1992. :)

Judi Dech start's as you know in 1995 play the role of M on the age of 61 and she is now 17 day's after here birthday on 09 December,68 years old.
She is good enough for now,mabey she stops on the age of 71 too (i hope not) and is Bond 21 the last time she play M.

Mabey is he a litle to old,there must search to an actor/actrise of the age of 60-65.

#14 BONDFINESSE 007

BONDFINESSE 007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 26 December 2002 - 09:58 PM

i dont know if everybody knows who i am going to suggest but the tv show boy meets world......william daniels who played mr feeny i think could make a good m

#15 M_Balje

M_Balje

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1564 posts

Posted 26 December 2002 - 10:29 PM

Originally posted by BONDFINESSE 007
i dont know if everybody knows who i am going to suggest but the tv show boy meets world......william daniels who played mr feeny i think could make a good m

That's the guy of The Knightrider,he speak the voice of Kitt.

Posted Image

He is now 75 years old.

#16 WC

WC

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1415 posts

Posted 26 December 2002 - 11:13 PM

How about Victor Garber - Jack Bristow in "Alias" or the designer of the Titanic in "Titanic"? He's a great theatre actor and quite M-like in personality. He's 53 at the moment but could easily give the appearance of a more seasoned, older man and ex-Spy than Pierce Brosnan's Bond even though he's roughly the same age.

#17 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 26 December 2002 - 11:13 PM

Can I just ask...why are we trying to get rid of Judi Dench? I haven't heard anything from her about wanting to leave.

And since we are dipping into TV land, how about the man who played Higgins on Magnum PI for M?

-- Xenobia

#18 kevrichardson

kevrichardson

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2156 posts

Posted 26 December 2002 - 11:22 PM

I can not think of any english actors who would be a good M. Some time ago Edward Woodward name was in use. Dench has done a lot with the rolwe so, i may be lke replacing Bernard Lee. Who for many simply was "M". Robert Brown , then filled the role well also. that as tough as finding a new James Bond.Now perhaps Patrick Steward, or Ian Mckellen, Too far in the future for me.:)

#19 Imperator

Imperator

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 55 posts

Posted 27 December 2002 - 02:11 AM

The new M would certainly have to be a male M. A character strong enough to take Judi Dench's place, and make the character his own. It was a very risky thing what they did changing Sir Miles for Judi Dench's character, and it worked just because she's so good. The new M should be a totally different character. A very particular character. And he should be able to have certain chemistry with 007. Just like Bernard Lee with Sean Connery or Judi Dench with Pierce Brosnan.

#20 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 27 December 2002 - 05:31 AM

I think Imperator is right. It will have to be a very strong actor or actress who steps in after Dame Judi Dench. I think the new M. should come in with a new Bond so we get a whole new sense of chemistry.

If they do go for a younger Bond, perhaps this M. would be more of a father figure trying to keep his favorite, but wayward, son in line.

-- Xenobia

#21 SeanValen00V

SeanValen00V

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1518 posts

Posted 27 December 2002 - 09:17 PM

Judi Dench may well continue after Pierce leaves, we got Connery and Moore talking to the same M, and Dalton and More talking to a same M, so never know, it's good to have consistency, then we don't need to waste time introducing new characters, get into the meat of the story.

#22 JBond007

JBond007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 860 posts

Posted 28 December 2002 - 10:08 AM

Michael Caine.

#23 JBond007

JBond007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 860 posts

Posted 28 December 2002 - 10:15 AM

John Castle (the Brit villain from Robocop 3)

#24 Martini

Martini

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 208 posts

Posted 29 December 2002 - 02:17 PM

What about Bernard Hill? He

#25 Tedley King

Tedley King

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 29 December 2002 - 02:43 PM

Billy Connolly!

#26 JackChase007

JackChase007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3446 posts

Posted 30 December 2002 - 02:05 AM

How about one of my favorite actors - the great Scottish performer Brian Cox?

He's a very gifted actor, and very under-rated. He's the first actor to have played Hannibal Lector in the 80s screen version of "Red Dragon" - Manhunter.

#27 M_Balje

M_Balje

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1564 posts

Posted 30 December 2002 - 11:18 AM

Victor Garber Posted Image

Bernard HillPosted Image

He is now 58 Yearls old.
He play Th

#28 WarBird

WarBird

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 370 posts

Posted 30 December 2002 - 05:44 PM

Well I haven't really thought about it. M I think has to be played by someone older like in there late fifities to make them look like a senior officer of some sort.

#29 Martini

Martini

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 208 posts

Posted 31 December 2002 - 03:03 AM

If Judy Dench does another two or three Bonds (what I guess) then Bernard Hill is about 63 or 66. Besides he would be more like the original M in the Fleming books, a former Navy Admiral. Hill played already a captain of a great ship. (okay, this was the Titanic, but his performance was very good)

#30 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 03 January 2003 - 01:45 PM

Originally posted by Imperator
It was a very risky thing what they did changing Sir Miles for Judi Dench's character, and it worked just because she's so good.

I personally believe that Bernard Lee was Sir Miles, and only Bernard Lee played this character.

Then Robert Brown played Admiral Hargreaves (as he was in TSWLM) and was promoted as Admiral Hargreaves to the position of M six years later in OP.

Just as the head of the British secret service is known as "C" in real life (after one of the former spy chiefs) I think all the heads of Mi6 are named M in honor of Sir Miles.