114 replies to this topic

#91 JohnnyWalker

JohnnyWalker

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 272 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 03:58 PM

Just discovered Andreia Horta, seems almost born to be a Bond girl.

#92 Surrie

Surrie

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 04:15 PM

This is such an example, I've seen that face before, only I couldn't put a name to it yet. Most of MR ROBOT was cast with actors in this category; you knew you knew them, you just couldn't say exactly from where or when.

Still have to watch 11.22.63...

I would give 11.22.63 a miss. It's one of those shows that tries too hard to spread an intriguing, yet thin idea across a series. After 2 eps the pace crashes to a halt as it tries to pad out what's really a feature idea. I haven't read the novel, so perhaps the show fails King's storytelling.

Franco is as strong a lead as ever and Gadon seems to have been cast as a suitably anaemic blonde to be the necessary damsel in distress for Franco, which is all rather obvious. But the show in general is a by-the-numbers affair.

11.22.63's plot is only really effected at the top and tail of the series. More than the middle 3rd of the series virtually gives up on plot and pace, becoming more concerned with soap opera lip service to social issues and like many shows of this ilk depends far too much upon set dressing authenticity to convince it's audience to keep watching.  It's one of those shows i stuck with til the end, but wish i hadn't.

It's no Mr Robot, which is probably the finest show on tv that hasn't got 'Thrones' and 'Game' in the title.

Gadot is a decent enough actress and deserves better than her cliche 11.22.63 love interest role, as she proves when the series finally gives her a scene to act in, rather than just react. Were she in a Bond movie, she'd need to be a fem fatale - a pro-active part (such as Stone's role in Basic Instinct) or at least a betrayer or the like.

Her look is far too cliche for the Dame in distress role - the weak women that needs looking after. I wish Hollywood would do away with that tired old stereotype altogether, but casting anaemic blondes in such roles is a step in the opposite direction.

Couldn't disagree with you more regarding 11.22.63. The book was fantastic and one of the best tv adaptations of a novel I've seen. You may have felt the middle of the series slow but the novel is around 900 pages long and most of what we read merely describes to us Jake's day to day life in the 50s. The novel better sets the scene on how much he fell in love with the era, in addition to telling the time-travel story. 

Sarah Gadon did what she could with the role of Sadie and I think she was great! Yes, she was limited in terms of what the TV series wanted from her - but at least they didn't ignore her past and the elements of her character that King gave her.  

Just discovered Andreia Horta, seems almost born to be a Bond girl.

33 appears to be the age at the moment!! 

#93 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 05:43 PM

I may find the time to check 11.22.63 out over the holidays. Often it's hard to judge a King adaptation without knowing the actual story. And often the adaptation itself would call for a different story as source; see for example the decision to adapt Under the Dome and then drawing it out over three seasons - when the novel's basic idea is that the dome acts as pressure cooker and things under the lid deteriorate from bad to worse with alarming speed, culminating in a fast end.

A proper understanding of that mechanism would have opted for either a definite end after one season - or for a different source story to extend over several seasons. They evidently aimed for Once Upon a Time. But the entire setting and character development of King's novel is High Noon, with events happening in a mere few days. They tried to mix it up some, change characters and events enough to justify a longer run. Still, that's not what the original story was about.

With any adaptation it's imperative that you - you, the writer, director, producer - understand the story at its core - and only then start to translate it into the format you are looking for. I think it's always a risky task, with King maybe more than with many other writers since his books are often very layered. From what I heard up to now the series sounds promising enough.

#94 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 05:34 AM

Absolutely - and I agree on UNDER THE DOME as well.  I actually liked the first half of the first season... until they went off the track of the book so far that it became just another mystery show, entangled in its own twists, trying to find a way out of it.  I was still entertained but it was not a serious adaptation of the novel anymore.

As for 11.22.63 - I think it is one of the best King adaptations, and while I have never been a fan of James Franco before, his casting was spot on - a man from another time, the postmodern cynic put into the "innocent" 60´s - and he delivered perfectly.  And Sarah Gadon, for me, was a revelation, turning the whole series into a heartbreaking and haunting drama with unobtrusive, yet precise acting that often gets overlooked for being so non-showy.

As for Gadon being a Bond girl - I don´t know, never got that idea, but as a great actress she could probably pull it off.

#95 Surrie

Surrie

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 06:06 PM

Absolutely - and I agree on UNDER THE DOME as well.  I actually liked the first half of the first season... until they went off the track of the book so far that it became just another mystery show, entangled in its own twists, trying to find a way out of it.  I was still entertained but it was not a serious adaptation of the novel anymore.

As for 11.22.63 - I think it is one of the best King adaptations, and while I have never been a fan of James Franco before, his casting was spot on - a man from another time, the postmodern cynic put into the "innocent" 60´s - and he delivered perfectly.  And Sarah Gadon, for me, was a revelation, turning the whole series into a heartbreaking and haunting drama with unobtrusive, yet precise acting that often gets overlooked for being so non-showy.

As for Gadon being a Bond girl - I don´t know, never got that idea, but as a great actress she could probably pull it off.

I'm glad you feel 11.22.63 did the book justice. I thoroughly enjoyed the TV adaptation, and the book remains one of my favourites. Casting was excellent, and I could see Gadon pulling off almost all roles right now. She was on point. 

#96 JohnnyWalker

JohnnyWalker

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 272 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 02:54 PM

Sonia Aquino could make up for Bellucci's limited screen time, if she's still acting.

#97 KB 007

KB 007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 162 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 11:20 PM

Ruth Negga please.

#98 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 23 December 2016 - 09:25 AM

Ruth Negga please.

Damn, that is a brilliant idea!  Fantastic actress and definitely a great choice!

#99 univex

univex

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 12:55 PM

Gemma Chan, from Humans, for Shatterhand, or The Death Collector, aka YOLT-done-properly.

https://www.gemmacha...han-4-copy.jpeg

#100 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 01:41 PM

Can she fly a helicopter?

#101 univex

univex

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 02:49 PM

Can she fly a helicopter?

eh eh, maybe she should learn, asap. New standard Bond girl curriculum entry.

#102 Surrie

Surrie

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 05:11 PM

Gemma Chan, from Humans, for Shatterhand, or The Death Collector, aka YOLT-done-properly.

https://www.gemmacha...han-4-copy.jpeg

I like her look. 

#103 Connerybond

Connerybond

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 41 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 08:53 AM

Some one not well known would be good.

#104 Trevelyan 006

Trevelyan 006

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 05:11 AM

One thing's for sure, I'll surely miss Léa... 

Spoiler

#105 Surrie

Surrie

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 01:29 PM

One thing's for sure, I'll surely miss Léa... 

Spoiler

SAME

#106 Eskyfall

Eskyfall

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 69 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 04:38 PM

Let's bring back Eva Green, because why not?

#107 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 05:11 PM

So Vesper did not really drown?

#108 Eskyfall

Eskyfall

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 69 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 05:47 PM

I mean, crazier things have happened....

#109 Tiin007

Tiin007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1696 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 07:11 PM

I think Bond should play the interrogation tape...

#110 Eskyfall

Eskyfall

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 69 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 03:30 AM

I think Bond should play the interrogation tape...

If he hadn't tossed it aside....

#111 Tiin007

Tiin007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1696 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 04:00 AM

He can always go back and pick it up :) 

#112 Eskyfall

Eskyfall

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 69 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 04:30 PM

Touche

#113 dtuba

dtuba

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 02:23 AM

If we're bringing back dead female Bond characters then Bernice Marlohe should be at the top of the list...I mean, she got so little screen time in SF as it was.

#114 Eskyfall

Eskyfall

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 69 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 07:59 PM

Stephanie Cayo

#115 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 10:28 PM

Sometimes the best way to guess the new Bond girls are to look at foreign-language European films from recent years and see who starred in them.