Re: a reference to AVTAK - the nearest one I can think of, and again it is loose, is the death of Max Denbigh - fighting with M then falling to his death, just as Zorin fought with Bond before falling to his. As I say, the only one that remotely springs to my mind. ;-)
The closest AVTAK reference I can think of is that in both films after the big climactic action sequence with the explosion(Silicon Valley in AVTAK, SPECTRE's Moroccan desert HQ in SPECTRE) there's more action set against the background of a major city(San Francisco/London) involving the villain's escape in an air vehicle(zeppelin, helicopter) with the final confrontation between Bond and the villain on a bridge where Bond then reunites with his leading lady.
Here's an article called "How SPECTRE references all 23 previous Bond films"
Two points I would like to make, first on the article you shared, and then on this discussion in general.
1) Regarding the article, some of those hardly (and I'm being generous by using that word) count as references. Look at what he wrote for TND, or for FYEO. And barring Blofeld, I would not count DAF either. Am I to assume SPECTRE is "referencing" those films?
2) As to this topic in general, there is something I need to say, and I mean this in the kindest / gentlest way possible (I am not out to offend anybody, as I respect everyone's opinions). But MANY of the references / homages listed in this thread, in my opinion, were neither intentional, nor can even really count. I remember after Skyfall was released, when a similar discussion was had on these forums, and some suggested that the fight between Bond and Patrice on top of the train in the PTS was a homage to Octopussy. As one poster pointed out in response, after 23 films, certain scenes and / or set pieces are bound to inadvertently resemble one another, but that does not make it a homage.
Examples of what I consider to be actual homages:
- The DB5 (particularly in Skyfall)
- Bond carrying a Universal Exports card in QoS which lists his name as Robert Sterling (same alias he had in TSWLM)
- Fields covered in oil (a la Jill in GF)
But many of the examples in this thread, if you will forgive me, seem to not be homages or references at all, but rather "things which inadvertently conjure up thoughts of other Bond movies." I cannot believe that many of those things listed here were actually intended by P & W, Broccoli & Wilson, and / or Mendes. Granted, some of them (such as the striking resemblance between Madeline's clinic and Piz Gloria) for sure count as references, but a part of me feels like we may be trying a little too hard here.
Again, I do not mean that in an offensive way in the slightest, and I certainly admire the effort involved by many on these forums. It is great to be a Bond fan.