This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

UK EMPIRE Magazine: 'SPECTRE' Issue (Nov)

63 replies to this topic

#31 antovolk

antovolk

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 406 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 03:52 PM

Whilst out and about today I've bought my copy at my local newsagents.

Haven't had a chance to do anything but glance at it, but I'm struck by one thing - the magazine appears, in a marginal notes section "SPECTRE files #" to link everything that has gone before in the Craig/Bond era to SPECTRE the organisation.

Now it may be that the article writer has simply had a lapse of memory about "Quantum" - but if this is right, everyone Craig's Bond has battled up to now has been working, in some way, for SPECTRE, and Quantum was always part of it.

Not much longer to wait to find out.

These SPECTRE files are by Purvis & Wade, therefore legit.

#32 JCRendle

JCRendle

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3639 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 04:09 PM

I've bought it, but the price has really gone up. I used to buy Empire every month - it's a good quality Movie mag, but over the last couple of years I've only bought a select few (including the SPECTRE ones) as its too expensive otherwise.

#33 Shrublands

Shrublands

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 05:56 PM

Whilst out and about today I've bought my copy at my local newsagents.

Haven't had a chance to do anything but glance at it, but I'm struck by one thing - the magazine appears, in a marginal notes section "SPECTRE files #" to link everything that has gone before in the Craig/Bond era to SPECTRE the organisation.

Now it may be that the article writer has simply had a lapse of memory about "Quantum" - but if this is right, everyone Craig's Bond has battled up to now has been working, in some way, for SPECTRE, and Quantum was always part of it.

Not much longer to wait to find out.

When you have a better look, you'll see that all that info for the "SPECTRE files" comes from Purvis & Wade.

Now, isn't that interesting?

EDIT - Antovolk, I didn't see that you had already covered this before I posted.

#34 PPK_19

PPK_19

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1312 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 05:58 PM

My favourite bit is the interview with Waltz.

Empire: "Now let's talk about your role, as much as we can".

Waltz: "We can't"

On to the next question!

#35 Shrublands

Shrublands

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 06:02 PM

By the way, just mentioning what is contained in the "SPECTRE files" could be called a gigantic spoiler by some.

Perhaps a moderator could/should move this thread to the spoiler section.

#36 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 07:25 PM

Done. Loads of spoiler info in the article, including lots of dancing around the Blofeld question.

#37 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 24 September 2015 - 07:44 PM

I agree with moving this to the spoilers part, but by now, a month or so before release, even the film makers seem to be dropping a few heavy hints, save about ESB aka YKW (You Know Who)

The "SPECTRE Files #" snippets mentions the screenwriters - curiously no mention of Paul Haggis and John Logan - and a summary of a particular character from the Craig films. Is the summary their commentary on these characters or just acknowledging the screenwriters involvement? Puzzling.

#38 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 07:52 PM

Which "particular character"? Vesper?

#39 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 24 September 2015 - 09:47 PM

Which "particular character"? Vesper?

Not just Vesper. The hashtag goes through more than one character, from more than one Craig film.

Best to draw your own conclusions.

#40 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 10:02 PM

Someone wanna scan those bits? I'm curious.

#41 PPK_19

PPK_19

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1312 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 10:37 PM

"Nothing in this magazine can be reproduced in whole or in part without the written permission of the publishers."

Please scan your written permission from the publishers.

Edited by Jim, 25 September 2015 - 05:33 AM.
Please don't do this and - others - please don't encourage it.

#42 Shrublands

Shrublands

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 10:59 PM

The way I read it,  Purvis & Wade are being quoted about the various characters and their involvement with Spectre.

#43 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 11:11 PM

Thank you for the pics. Are there any referencing Skyfall?

#44 Tiin007

Tiin007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1696 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 11:12 PM

Once again, I ask: what is Quantum? A subcategory of SPECTRE? Maybe not the name of the organization, but the name of something else?

#45 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 11:12 PM

So wait... has Quantum been retconned out of existence and replaced by SPECTRE, or was Quantum just an intergovernmental body of SPECTRE, necessary to keep its many tentacles coordinated?

#46 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 11:16 PM

It sounds as though Quantum was a cell or project of SPECTRE.

#47 Tiin007

Tiin007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1696 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 11:27 PM

Certainly a possibility. I really hope that they at least address this in some fashion, although I fear that they will not. 

Also, if Quantum was merely a cell of SPECTRE, I would hope that much of the "theatrics" in the dialogue of previous films was in fact referring to SPECTRE, and not just their smaller cell known as Quantum. For example, White's statement that "we have people everywhere," and M's claim to the minister that it is "one of the most powerful organizations"-- I really hope that these are referring to SPECTRE as a whole, as I have a hard time believing that just a tiny tentacle of it was what all of our characters got so worked up over.

#48 Shrublands

Shrublands

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 11:27 PM

The way I see it, Quantum was a Spectre initiative. A cartel of powerful politicians, heads of industry, etc working for corrupt ends. Only people involved such as Greene and Mr White knew they were being controlled by an even more sinister organisation, Spectre.

#49 JCRendle

JCRendle

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3639 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 11:48 PM

Careful @PPK_19, I'm sure CBn frowns upon uploading magazine scans because of previous troubles - isn't it in the T&C?

#50 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 25 September 2015 - 05:34 AM

Careful @PPK_19, I'm sure CBn frowns upon uploading magazine scans because of previous troubles - isn't it in the T&C?

Frowned.

#51 Messervy

Messervy

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1369 posts

Posted 25 September 2015 - 08:30 AM

Done. Loads of spoiler info in the article, including lots of dancing around the Blofeld question.

Thanks! I was afraid of just that.

I'll get my copy, but read it only after I've seen the movie.

#52 OHMSS Spion

OHMSS Spion

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 244 posts

Posted 25 September 2015 - 05:37 PM

Anyone know if this is out in the U.S. yet? Or will it be U.K. only?

#53 MajorB

MajorB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3700 posts

Posted 25 September 2015 - 07:20 PM

I'm in the US, and I've found that the UK mags show up at my local Barnes and Noble several weeks--even a month--after they hit the stands over there.

#54 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts

Posted 25 September 2015 - 08:18 PM

The way I see it, Quantum was a Spectre initiative. A cartel of powerful politicians, heads of industry, etc working for corrupt ends. Only people involved such as Greene and Mr White knew they were being controlled by an even more sinister organisation, Spectre.

The plots of CR and QoS were both about, if you will financial or economic crimes - raising money for terrorism, playing the stock market, cornering the market in a commodity. Maybe "Quantum" was the hedge fund of SPECTRE?

(That said, Greene claimed, before he was left to a "fate worse than a fate worse than death" that he'd told Bond all he knew about Quantum. Either he was holding back something - SPECTRE - or he didn't really know who he was working for, because in this new movie, according to the summer trailer, 007 hasn't heard of SPECTRE until Madeleine Swann lets slip the name.)

#55 Tiin007

Tiin007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1696 posts

Posted 25 September 2015 - 09:13 PM

The way I see it, Quantum was a Spectre initiative. A cartel of powerful politicians, heads of industry, etc working for corrupt ends. Only people involved such as Greene and Mr White knew they were being controlled by an even more sinister organisation, Spectre.

The plots of CR and QoS were both about, if you will financial or economic crimes - raising money for terrorism, playing the stock market, cornering the market in a commodity. Maybe "Quantum" was the hedge fund of SPECTRE?

(That said, Greene claimed, before he was left to a "fate worse than a fate worse than death" that he'd told Bond all he knew about Quantum. Either he was holding back something - SPECTRE - or he didn't really know who he was working for, because in this new movie, according to the summer trailer, 007 hasn't heard of SPECTRE until Madeleine Swann lets slip the name.)

Yes, but we are not told what this "Quantum" is. Greene never says it is the name of the organization.

#56 Twingolot

Twingolot

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 39 posts

Posted 25 September 2015 - 09:16 PM

May be it was only the name of SPECTRE's operations in Bolivia...

#57 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 26 September 2015 - 01:15 AM

Yes, but we are not told what this "Quantum" is. Greene never says it is the name of the organization.

"Quantum" is only mentioned by name twice. Once by Greene, at the end, and once during the opera scene ("I'm not certain this project is worth Quantum's time" or something very close to it is uttered as Bond listens in). In conjunction with the "Q" pins at the opera, it's definitely suggested that it's a group of people.

I doubt Spectre will answer these questions directly, but it seems that the obvious resolution would be to treat Quantum as a Spectre project, a plan to infiltrate governments and control resources. Bond found out about it and slowed its progress.

#58 stamper

stamper

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2994 posts

Posted 26 September 2015 - 10:51 AM

P&W in Empire says Greene was in charge of Spectre operations in south america. Quantum was just a sub for it. 

it all makes so much more sense.

#59 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 26 September 2015 - 11:11 AM

[Image deleted - see earlier post]

Edited by Jim, 26 September 2015 - 12:37 PM.
No obvious authority to reproduce - see earlier post

#60 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 07:36 PM

Certainly a possibility. I really hope that they at least address this in some fashion, although I fear that they will not. Also, if Quantum was merely a cell of SPECTRE, I would hope that much of the "theatrics" in the dialogue of previous films was in fact referring to SPECTRE, and not just their smaller cell known as Quantum. For example, White's statement that "we have people everywhere," and M's claim to the minister that it is "one of the most powerful organizations"-- I really hope that these are referring to SPECTRE as a whole, as I have a hard time believing that just a tiny tentacle of it was what all of our characters got so worked up over.

The SPECTRE formerly known as "the organisation" - M only knew it as that, although we can assume that Bond briefed her about he'd found out at the end of the QoS assignment.

Greene? Well he say's he's told Bond everything he wanted to know about "Quantum". Either he lied - or he genuinely knew no more than he told Bond. "Need to know" and all that. Greene might not have known that Quantum was a subsiduary of SPECTRE - if indeed it was.

White - I suspect that in the new film we'll learn that he knew very well who he was working for, ultimately.