139 replies to this topic

#31 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 01 August 2015 - 09:25 AM

Saw it last night. Very good, though not as stylish visually as Ghost Protocol. Still, the opera scene and motorcycle chase were both incredibly well done. Looking forward to MI6.

#32 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 01 August 2015 - 10:35 AM

.....Still, the opera scene and motorcycle chase were both incredibly well done....

Both better than in QoS then?  ;)

#33 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 01 August 2015 - 02:29 PM

Much better. :)

#34 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 12:47 PM

For my part, the opera scene in QoS was slicker.  It flowed beautifully.

But as the bike 'chase' in QoS wasn't really a chase as such, it will suffer if having to compare against MI.  A similarly exciting bike chase to that of MI was Bourne Legacy's chase.

#35 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 06:35 AM

I saw Rogue Nation on Saturday night, and I really enjoyed myself. The action met my expectations, and the cast they've established in Ghost Protocol continues to gel together perfectly. Rebecca Ferguson was a revelation, and hopefully they can secure her for the next film. 

#36 Yellow Pinky

Yellow Pinky

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 338 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 06:03 PM

Saw it this weekend.  It's overall right up there with Ghost Protocol for me, though I liked this one a bit more.  Despite some really over the top moments, it was more grounded.  I really appreciated the exceptional practical stunt work throughout.  An excellent addition to the series.

#37 Grard Bond

Grard Bond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 05:27 PM

I saw it yesterday. It was a killer!

Although probably the first one was more like the original Tv series, this new one is the most exicting and maybe the best of the whole series. The last one was also good, but I didn't realy like the end fight. This time they did the end scene to get the main villain a lot better.

But.... I still don't like Jeremy Renner, he has no charisma at all and he didn't do a lot in this movie. This last thing can also be said for Rhames. I mean, what the heck is his contribution to this movie? What did he do? I have no idea.

Edited by Grard Bond, 08 August 2015 - 02:45 PM.

#38 Silva25

Silva25

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 32 posts

Posted 08 August 2015 - 05:06 AM

This was REALLY good.  In fact, I'd venture to say that it's even better than GP.  GP had more inventive action (and used Jeremy Renner better imo).  But this had a more interesting plot, a much better villain (although PSH in MI:III is still the best imo), had more suspense, intrigue, and tension, etc.  And then there's Rebecca Ferguson.  WOW, just wow!  She's amazing.  She's a good actress (which I already knew from seeing her in other things), she's incredibly convincing in the action scenes, her character is suitable mysterious/interesting/femme fatale-ish, and she's sexy as all get out.  They'd be fools NOT to bring her back for MI:6 (and get Paula Patton/Maggie Q back if possible as well).  Heck, give Ferguson her own spinoff, I'd got see it.

So far, between Kingsman and this film, it's been a really good year for spy films.  I'm really hoping that Man from UNCLE and SPECTRE can carry on the trend.  Also, I was rewatching GP the other night and Lea Seydoux popped up as one of the villains.  So Lea, if you can angle yourself into a future Bourne film, then you'll have hit the trifecta as far a modern spy franchises go.

Well, I think we knew the Sp trailer was going to be attached to MI-5 - why didn't you just enter from the beginning of the film?

For my part, I wanted to see this trailer on the big screen, but it Wasn't shown.  Clearly we should have swapped viewings.

Anyway, MI, superb.  Very clever, everyone on fine form, a thrilling bike chase with stunning cinematography.  Cracking stuff all round.

Some other things.  There were any number of partner production companies, including Bad Robot (JJ Abrahms), Skydance, China TV (or some such) and another unknown name.  Also, Cruise seems to be producing himself this time without Paula Wagner.

A very eclectic mix of partners.  I thought this level of producers was something only ever done if they couldn't raise the money from one hit.

They had the SPECTRE and Man from UNCLE trailers before my screening.  And honestly, I was expecting that to happen, so there was no surprise.

#39 Grard Bond

Grard Bond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 08 August 2015 - 02:51 PM

I don't get it why almost everyone is saying that Rebecca Ferguson is so beautiful and sexy. She looks average to me, more like the girl next door, not realy special.

I thought Paula Patton in the last one was way more beautiful and sexy.

Edited by Grard Bond, 08 August 2015 - 02:52 PM.

#40 OHMSS Spion

OHMSS Spion

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 244 posts

Posted 08 August 2015 - 04:33 PM

I don't get it why almost everyone is saying that Rebecca Ferguson is so beautiful and sexy. She looks average to me, more like the girl next door, not realy special.
I thought Paula Patton in the last one was way more beautiful and sexy.

I think people are praising Rebecca Ferguson for actually having a character and her own plot, not to mention being the equal of Ethan Hunt in terms of physicality. Also she was not quite a love interest, but more like an actual co-star. Her looks don't play into it for me. I like that she was a real person and not just eye candy.

Edited by OHMSS Spion, 08 August 2015 - 04:33 PM.

#41 Grard Bond

Grard Bond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 08 August 2015 - 05:50 PM

I can understand that and I agree, but... that's not what a lot of people are saying, not just on this side, but on other (not Bond related) sides as well.

Even before I went to this movie I read a lot of times that she's so beautiful and sexy in this movie.

I didn't know who she was, so I was prepared to see this realy gorgeous bombshell. That's why at the beginning of the movie I assumed this was not the woman everyone was talking about, but ofcourse they were....

#42 bill007

bill007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2072 posts

Posted 09 August 2015 - 10:14 PM

Anyone else catch the DB5?

#43 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 12:05 AM

Yup!

#44 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 12:21 AM

I thought it was fantastic. Some of the best action sequences in recent memory.

#45 Emrayfo

Emrayfo

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 193 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 05:18 AM

I just caught this yesterday. In short, I enjoyed RN and feel it is an excellent addition to the M:I cinematic series. Very much in the vein of GP from a look and feel perspective, as expected, but I feel the RN plot was more interesting and grounded than the nuclear doomsday scenario Macguffin in GP (although they missed some opportunities here to really exploit the potential in this and probably sent Hunt underground too early in the film - hopefully M:I6 if it comes doesn't give us another rogue agent scenario); however I feel that GP remains overall the better balanced and more complete film.

The big set pieces: The opera scene, under water scene, car chase/motorcycle chase were all excellent. Humour was also very good throughout though maybe not quite as subtle and clever as in GP, which more effectively played with and undermined some of the M:I tropes as did many of the key set pieces in that film. The Hunt character has actually undergone some character development over M:I3 to M:I5, and also some effective analysis by others characters in this film, which was interesting to see. The secondary characters also revealed more of themselves in this one, where personal loyalties and ties figured more strongly, or at least more openly, than in the prior films.

I enjoyed Rebecca Ferguson's screen presence and her easy facility with the action sequences. Simon Pegg was still dependably enjoyable - a little less charming than previously but given a lot more room to stretch his wings and show some emotion. Jeremy Renner and Ving Rhames were underused but adequate. Philip Seymour Hoffman is still by far the best villain of the series but Sean Harris was very effective and believable in his role. I actually liked Alec Baldwin in this and he didn't chew his scenes too much like I had feared he might. Tom Cruise was very good as usual - and rather than them trying to hide his age they lingered on his lines and heavier jowls early in the film and instead left him to impress with his still exemplary physical aptitude and fitness. Very well choreographed fight scenes and genuinely exciting action scenes, and other scenes with real tension.

This franchise is still very much alive with some life left in it yet.

#46 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 08:36 AM

Good review sir.

#47 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 02:06 PM

I rarely go to the cinema anymore. MI:RN was a great exception and more than worth the time. It is a reason for people who don't go out to films to take the time.

My daughter's boyfriend couldn't believe how excited I was to see this and I told him he'd find out why. When that plane takes off with Cruise hanging on it touched off that adrenaline rush a good movie can set off.

RN and GP seem almost like companion pieces to each other. It's hard to really judge one against the other. I liked Rebecca Ferguson better than Paula Patton and RN's main villain is superior to the one in GP. Great soundtrack with lots of usage of the classic MI music.

If I had to compare the two, my daughter and I both agreed that perhaps GP was a slightly more satisfying overall experience, but RN is cracking entertainment. It was maybe 20 or so minutes too long. Another slight flaw was the typical movie problem of the villains who can't hit the broad side of a barn with their firearms as they had numerous attempts to knock off they have numerous attempts to pick off the heroes.

As someone else said, what is Ving Rhames doing in this as the Simon Pegg character has basically the same function, but it's not a distraction. The classic MI team concept is there, so that's good enough for me. And thankfully nothing hinged on traitors inside the organization. If people still have a hang-up with Cruise as a friend of mine does who refuses to see these movies because of him, well, you're missing out. The guy puts everything out there in making an entertaining piece of work you can return to several times.

Top notch suspense and action made this a great night out, complemented by the trailers for UNCLE and SPECTRE. Seeing these on the big screen as opposed to the computer screen really makes a difference. What a great time to be a fan.

#48 bonded56

bonded56

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 410 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 02:57 PM

Was it in the parking lot before the event the Prime Minister was attending?  I thought I saw it there.  I also liked liberal use of snippets from the MI theme.  We saw trailers for SPECTRE, MFU, and new Transporter.

#49 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 11:19 PM

If people still have a hang-up with Cruise as a friend of mine does who refuses to see these movies because of him, well, you're missing out. The guy puts everything out there in making an entertaining piece of work you can return to several times.

Agreed on Cruise. I certainly don't share his personal or religious beliefs, but really, that stuff is none of my business, and I'm able to separate Tom Cruise the person and Tom Cruise the movie star. As far as his films are concerned, I can't say that I've ever not been entertained by a Tom Cruise film. Sure, some are much better than others, and he's made some poor films along the way, but I've never finished one of them and thought that it was a waste of time. At the very least, he is always entertaining and his dedication to his craft is admirable and should be applauded.

#50 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 04:31 AM

Agreed.  He always gives the impressioin of someone deeply and energetically involved in his movie, never phoning it in, always turning his efforts to maximum strength.

And he has that rare charisma of a real movie star - something that actors these days rarely have.

#51 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 09:53 PM

Agreed.  He always gives the impressioin of someone deeply and energetically involved in his movie, never phoning it in, always turning his efforts to maximum strength.

This is what I respect about him the most. He genuinely seems to care whether or not the audience is entertained, and for the sake of the audience being entertained, rather than doing it for other, more personally glorifying reasons. I'm sure part of it is also to satisfy the adrenaline junky side of him, but I've seen plenty of interviews where he talks about wanting to make it great for the audience, and he doesn't come off as being phony in any way when he addresses that topic.

And he has that rare charisma of a real movie star - something that actors these days rarely have.

Agreed. He might be the last movie star of that kind out there, as everyone coming up through the ranks now needs to be "serious" all the time. Despite what many will say, when the time calls for it, Cruise can turn in excellent performances. But he also knows when to just dial up the charisma factor to 10 and just make an entertaining popcorn flick, which is something he does better than most, if not all, currently working in the industry today.

#52 chrisno1

chrisno1

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 03:56 PM

I agree tdalton, SecretAgentFan - I have said to my peers for many years that Tom Cruise is a bona fide Movie Star - possibly the only actor who consistently for the last 20-30 years has had hit after hit and provided solid opening night takings. He can open a movie like no other actor can. Along side George Clooney (another actor woefully misunderstood by critics and peers who can't see past his 'persona' and rarely consider him award material) he's probably the only actor current working who has Star Material basking all over him.

I grew up with Tom Cruise in Risky Business, Legend, Top Gun, etc, suffered the lows as well as the highs - couldn't believe how good he was in Rain Man and didn't even get an Oscar nod when Dustin Hoffman's obvious one-note one-tone turn gets all the glory - and still consider him a great and watchable star, even though his films are perhaps a little on the wane.

Saw MI:RN last week and enjoyed it without being wickedly enthusiastic. I thought the CIA / IMF conflict slowed the film down, but Alec Baldwin was good. Overall I liked the action, so impossible as always, but considered some of it superfluous. The chief villain was a very weak. Rebecca Ferguson (as mentioned) very strong and very sexy without ever surrendering herself sexually (a recurring theme in MI, I believe). Cruise looked a little long in the tooth for the first time. Music okay. Photography very good. Editing bang on, especially the chase in Morocco. Pre-credit stunt brilliant. Fight in the gaol excellent with a tension filled lead up. Simon Pegg and Ving Rhymes, both hilarious.

Maybe a 7 from 10.

Roll on UNCLE....

#53 Professor Pi

Professor Pi

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1430 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 04:40 PM

I saw this last Friday and enjoyed it very much.  Ghost Protocol is still my favorite, and the first Mission Impossible has the best plot, but for action set-pieces alone, this was -- WOW!  Nice to see Ving Rhames and Simon Pegg together, but wish there was more spark to it--felt like a high school reunion otherwise.  While the underwater scene was well put together, it was an attempt to outdo the 'break into the CIA' scene from the first movie--physics and biochemistry laws be damned!  But the motorcycle chase was great, the pre-titles scene near perfect, and the ending was a clever bit.  Glad Alec Baldwin didn't remain an ass the whole film.  Jeremy Renner was kind of bland this time out.  While I found Paula Patton sexier than Rebecca Ferguson, Ferguson had a better character.  Probably the best female role of the summer after Charlize Theron's Furiosa.  Lots of twists to pay attention to.  Villain a little sub par, but passable.  Both Cruise and his audiences seem willing to separate his personal life from his cinematic one, and he's got this franchise firing on all cylinders now.  Bring on MI:6!

#54 Emrayfo

Emrayfo

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 193 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 07:32 AM

I forgot to mention that I quite liked the score for this one - well calibrated to the individual scenes without overshadowing or becoming too noticeable and taking away from the moment (except where it is meant to). Nice use throughout the score of both the M:I theme and of Nessun Dorma.

I would agree with chriso1 that the CIA/IMF conflict slowed the film down unnecessarily. This is basically what I meant above when I said that while the RN plot driver was more interesting and grounded than that of GP, they missed some opportunities here to really exploit the potential in this. The time otherwise spent on CIA/IMF conflict could have been better spent on more IMF/Syndicate conflict, and also would have allowed Renner's character more time in the field. If the Syndicate really were a true rival to IMF it would have been interesting seeing IMF trying to respond to their threat across the world in perhaps many locations at once - foiling some plots but failing to stop others, for instance.

#55 chrisno1

chrisno1

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 12:17 PM

I would agree with chriso1 that the CIA/IMF conflict slowed the film down unnecessarily. 

The time otherwise spent on CIA/IMF conflict could have been better spent on more IMF/Syndicate conflict, and also would have allowed Renner's character more time in the field.

Yes. Exactly. Well put.

#56 Hansen

Hansen

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 431 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 07:10 AM

Saw it yesterday. Perfect blockbuster. A long time that I did not have that much fun in a theater.

Congrats to Cruise for his commitment. Truly impressive.

#57 bill007

bill007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2072 posts

Posted 16 August 2015 - 05:11 PM

Was it in the parking lot before the event the Prime Minister was attending?  

Yes, there it was, just a subtle nod to the fact that in the spy world, there is synchronicity.

#58 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 09:25 PM

Is that the same one they shot Spectre at?

#59 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 10:10 PM

Is that the same one they shot Spectre at?

Yes, also Blenheim Palace.

#60 The Dove

The Dove

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16671 posts

Posted 27 August 2015 - 04:25 AM

Just got back from seeing Rogue Nation.. Oh WOW!! It was fantastic!! It mixes all the special elements of Bourne, Bond and the classic Mission Impossible and Cruise has hit on a winning formula and I'm stoked that a sixth film is in the works. The opera sequence blows away the opera sequence in Quantum of Solace by miles. I give the film a 9.9 out of 10..

My ranking of the Mission Impossible films from best to worst is as follows:
MI: Rogue Nation
MI: Ghost Protocol
MI3
Mission Impossible
Mission Impossible 2