181 replies to this topic

#151 Tiin007

Tiin007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1696 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 09:20 PM

Is it all that likely that there will be a Bond film in 2017? Will we ever get one every two years again?

As long as EON keep playing it by ear, then I'd say it's unlikely. 

But, if EON were to plot out the direction of the series two or three films in advance, then I think two year gaps are certainly realistic. EON's problem, the way I see it, is that they are too afraid to simply go with their gut, instead opting to "see how the current one is received" before moving forward. While there is certainly value in taking a step back to evaluate how things are going and the direction to take the series, I think this can be done, say, every five to seven years, and not after each and every film. One almost gets the feeling EON are convinced that if they make a gamble by plotting subsequent installments ahead of time, the general public will not take well to their approach, and the film(s) will flop.

Here is where I make a radical, yet modest assertion: Bond movies are, for the most part, guaranteed box office hits. The general public does not particularly care what the plot is, so long as it is executed well. In fact, I think EON abandoned the entire Quantum thread solely because they misconstrued the general public's negative reaction to QoS as stemming from "people did not take well to Quantum as an organization," when, in fact, it was probably more technical issues (editing, etc...). In other words, Quantum was not the issue with the film; the execution of it was. 

If they really are so intent on making the Craig era one unified continuity, it would do well to plan the films in advance, rather than contrive plots solely after seeing how the previous entry fared at the box office.

Here's hoping my post does not spawn too much outrage...

#152 glidrose

glidrose

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 09:29 PM

I also remember when David Lean was prepping Nostromo, the powers that be decided he must have a stand-by director. Both Arthur Penn and Guy Hamilton were signed at various points.

#153 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 05:13 AM

I´d hope for a return to the two-year-cycle - but I don´t think they will do it.  It seems that with all the event blockbusters around having a Bond film only every three years is putting more value on it.  Also, financing a Bond film has become more difficult.  Not because it does not generate enough returns.  It´s rather the exploding cost to make the film and advertise it which cuts into the profits.

It´s a shame, though, for the tenure of the involved actors is shrinking as a result of that.  In a two-year-cycle we already would have had one more Craig film.  And if he continues for one or two more we are deprived of one additional film as well.

#154 Berni99

Berni99

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 123 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 11:25 AM

So what about Christopher Nolan? He would be perfect, and now he's available. I don't read the leaks, but is there any plans for Chris Nolan in the future?

Edited by Berni99, 28 April 2015 - 11:27 AM.

#155 DavidJones

DavidJones

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 347 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 11:29 AM

I remember before SF they said they wanted to make one every two years, but then they had to wait for Mendes - because he is the only director in the world, after all.

Edited by DavidJones, 28 April 2015 - 11:29 AM.

#156 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 12:47 PM

I believe it was Sony that said that they wanted to make one every two years.  EON always seemed to be operating with the idea of a three year gap.

#157 DavidJones

DavidJones

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 347 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 10:20 PM

Considering they're a company who only make one franchise, they should be quicker than that. After all, Marvel put out two films a year.

I remember in around 2011 and thinking, "Is Daniel Craig still the current Bond when it's been this long without a film?" The same could be said for now too.

Despite the big hoopla surrounding Skyfall, it's yesterday's news now. Autumn 2012 is a long time ago.

#158 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 10:48 PM

Can't really compare EON to Marvel, though.  Marvel has the backing of Disney, so they have more resources with which to work.  They also have a wide variety of characters and properties to put on film, which means that there's more variety in what they can put out there on the screen.

EON has the backing of MGM, who can barely keep the doors open, making it more difficult to finance things without having a partner like Sony to work with.  Not that it's at all impossible, but they don't have the seemingly endless funds that Disney has at their disposal.  Plus, EON has only the one property to put on the screen: Bond.  There's only so much that can be done with the one character, and oversaturating the market with the character would be different than Marvel putting out more than one film a year because Marvel is not putting out two films in a year featuring the same character in the lead.

#159 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 04:32 AM

Exactly and well put!

#160 Alexedward

Alexedward

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 22 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 11:47 PM

Hi Folks I am new here! Just astonished seeing the title of this threat, Bond 25 in 2017? it seems to be very difficult and will be almost impossible if Craig turned down role after SPECTRE   

#161 007 FOREVER

007 FOREVER

Recruit

• Enlisting
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 May 2015 - 07:55 PM

Is spectre craigs last?

#162 glidrose

glidrose

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 23 May 2015 - 08:32 PM

Is spectre craigs last?

Is Jedi Yodas first?

http://debrief.comma...oda-quote-game/

Sorry, couldn't resist. Welcome aboard, I think.

#163 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 23 May 2015 - 08:36 PM

Hi Folks I am new here! Just astonished seeing the title of this threat, Bond 25 in 2017? it seems to be very difficult and will be almost impossible if Craig turned down role after SPECTRE   

Is spectre craigs last?

I very much doubt that SPECTRE will be Craig's last.  I can't see Broccoli and Wilson committing to introducing SPECTRE without at least some kind of handshake agreement that Craig will continue on for at least another film to battle the organization again.  It wouldn't make a whole lot of sense to introduce the villainous organization in Craig's finale and then hand it off to the new guy to deal with.

#164 glidrose

glidrose

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 23 May 2015 - 08:41 PM

Is spectre craigs last?

I very much doubt that SPECTRE will be Craig's last. I can't see Broccoli and Wilson committing to introducing SPECTRE without at least some kind of handshake agreement that Craig will continue on for at least another film to battle the organization again. It wouldn't make a whole lot of sense to introduce the villainous organization in Craig's finale and then hand it off to the new guy to deal with.

Agreed. I can see him doing two more.

#165 Thevan7F

Thevan7F

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 74 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 06:48 AM

Is spectre craigs last?

I very much doubt that SPECTRE will be Craig's last. I can't see Broccoli and Wilson committing to introducing SPECTRE without at least some kind of handshake agreement that Craig will continue on for at least another film to battle the organization again. It wouldn't make a whole lot of sense to introduce the villainous organization in Craig's finale and then hand it off to the new guy to deal with.

Agreed. I can see him doing two more.

I agree Daniel Craig said in some interview that contracted to 2 more after Skyfall. He should come back if Bond 25 is made for 2017 for the 55th Anniversary. Then we shell know what go on from there.

#166 Walecs

Walecs

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 08:11 AM

I think he could deliver even two more after SPECTRE, fingers crossed.

#167 Odd Jobbies

Odd Jobbies

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1573 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 12:16 PM

I think he could deliver even two more after SPECTRE, fingers crossed.

If SPECTRE is a multi-film story (i'm guessing it will indeed be told over 2, or even 3 movies), then Craig will see that story out.

#168 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 08:38 AM

I would love it if Craig remained Bond for many more years - and especially love him to have the longest tenure of the series.  The Craig-still-not-Bond-people would feel so great about that...

#169 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 12:54 PM

I could see Craig remaining Bond for two films after SPECTRE just fine, and I hope he does. It'll all be about 'whether the time is right', etc. 

#170 Trevelyan 006

Trevelyan 006

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 04:11 PM

I'm going to assume we actually get one more film with Craig after this year, marking Bond 25 as his final appearance. Realistically, I hope for two though... It all really depends on Craig's continued health, interest and each film's turnaround time. As honestly, I don't see a James Bond film popping up every two years. Far more goes into them these days. 

Assuming it'll be closer to a three year gaps from here on out and Bond 25 actually releases in 2018, Craig's final year as Bond would be 2021 for Bond 26. By 2021 though, Daniel Craig would be fifty three years old. Mind you, Roger Moore was fifty seven and looked it and then some in his final outing. If Daniel does stay until he's fifty three, I sincerely hope that father time shows  a little mercy. Then again, he has aged quite gracefully thus far! 

Who knows...

#171 glidrose

glidrose

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 06:36 PM

I may be wrong but I do think it's possible Craig will still be doing these films in his mid fifties, certainly his early fifties for sure.

He's not a pretty boy. He is physically fit.

The producers have molded the role to Craig's own onscreen persona. Why not take it a step further and mold it to his age?

Arnold Schwarzenegger is in his late sixties... If Liam Neeson can still do action roles in his early sixties...

Tho' I don't know if DC can do eight films, like the producers claim to want. At this rate he'd be 59.

My own prediction? Six films for sure.

#172 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 08:55 PM

Reference tdalton's MGM backing Eon... (I can't use the Quote function on this version of IE for some reason), and while I can't even pretend to understand the machinations of the financing agreements;

1. I am sure it is not beyond the capabilities of Eon to now completely finance the Bond films, bearing in mind the profits involved... 

2. Especially considering the sponsorship dollars that flood in Eon's direction as well.

3. Which means, I don't fully understand what would ever again be the stumbling block if MGM did not have a penny to its name.  Surely its main purpose now is to just provide a route to a number of theatres around the world - and Sony could cough up what ever marketing money is required.

All this is under the (my) current assumption that Eon owns half of Bond, MGM owns the other half, and for some part, Sony has some of MGM's interests.

All that said, I reckon the studios were advocating two-year cycles for the Bonds if only to make their position seem stronger for the shareholders.  Without any inside knowledge, my supposition would be that Eon would feel more comfortable with three-year cycles.

#173 Emrayfo

Emrayfo

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 193 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 07:46 AM

I may be wrong but I do think it's possible Craig will still be doing these films in his mid fifties, certainly his early fifties for sure.

He's not a pretty boy. He is physically fit. The producers have molded the role to Craig's own onscreen persona. Why not take it a step further and mold it to his age?

Arnold Schwarzenegger is in his late sixties... If Liam Neeson can still do action roles in his early sixties...

Tho' I don't know if DC can do eight films, like the producers claim to want. At this rate he'd be 59.

My own prediction? Six films for sure.

James Bond the character is not a young man, and that has always been a major part of the appeal for me. But he is eternally 35-45 or thereabouts. That means he is also not an older man. And IMHO it should stay that way. This is one of the reasons why the latter Moores and Connery in DAF don't work as well. The actors just could not carry the character as well as they once did. If you want a story about a superannuated spy then there is Caine's Palmer re-runs Bullet to Beijing and Midnight in St. Petersburg, or even Brosnan's The November Man among others. But please leave Bond as the eternal Bond in his prime. Bond being jaded or "played out" in Skyfall is not at all the same as Bond over-the-hill. It was about Bond recovering his verve and sense of mission and re-establishing his relevance. Not about being old.

I love Craig's Bond and feel cheated by EON that we won't get as many Craig films as we should (I still maintain there is a film missing between QoS and SF). And I want Craig to continue as long as he can. I just fear that won't be very long. We will get just one more Bond out of Craig after SPECTRE. For two reasons: 1) Given the 3 year gap between films, while I am sure he will still look the part and be fit enough in 2018, I do not think he still will by 2020-21; and 2) Craig himself will be well sick of the role by then. He will want to do other things and be rid of Bond. He has intimated this before and it happened to Connery as well (even though Connery was lured back a couple of more times with the help of truckloads of cash, he should have followed his original judgement). Craig will want to tidy up his story arc with the sequel to SPECTRE and leave a nicely self-contained body of work in the Bond canon. And his legacy will be judged the better for it.

If we got a film every two years, maybe we could squeeze one more in but I doubt Craig himself would be keen... 

#174 Hansen

Hansen

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 431 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 07:54 AM

Personally, I would love to see a 'one-off' film with an older / retired Bond dealing with a last case (ending why not with his death).

Could be a great part for Brosnan or even Dalton.

And I think this is a good time for this kind of project. The reboot of the Franchise with CR, the various story lines of other Franchises (Marvel or F&F) would make it easier to accept by the audience

#175 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 07:59 AM

EON hasn't cheated anyone out of any additional Bond films.  The reason we didn't get another one between Quantum of Solace and Skyfall was down to MGM's continued financial problems.  Also, the idea that EON should be churning out these films at a rate of once every other year is extremely unrealistic.  Michael G. Wilson is no longer a young man and needs a (deserved) break between films and I can't see Craig being on board for shooting these films in that kind of rapid succession.  That's part of the deal when you bring on an actor of that quality, he's going to want to do other things in between the franchise films.

#176 Emrayfo

Emrayfo

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 193 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 12:29 PM

Perhaps I didn't phrase that well. I don't really mean that I feel that EON has purposefully cheated anyone, and of course I'm aware there is a lot more to why the film after QoS came out when it did. It's just a personal, selfish note of regret. I think Craig's arc is missing something because of the story hole between QoS and SF, and I also just want more of Craig's portrayal, that's all, as much as we can get. I feel the stronger about that now that I can perceive what I think will be the end of his run in the not too distant future.

Anyway, with a bit of luck SPECTRE will plug some of the current story gaps. From what has been revealed in the trailers and interviews that seems to be their intent.

In terms of Craig doing other things, he really hasn't done that much over his Bond tenure, compared to other actors of similar stature.

#177 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 12:36 PM

I also think that the impact of SKYFALL had been greater if there had been another Craig mission in between.  Or even two.  

It does remind me of the missed chance of doing a more literal adaptation of YOLT after OHMSS, with Connery starring in both.

With Craig, EON wasn´t to blame for the hiatus.  With Connery... well, giving him more money and more input would probably have persuaded him to stay on.  I guess that is why EON now invite Craig in to contribute more and feel more integral to the whole enterprise.

#178 Walecs

Walecs

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 04:42 PM

I also think that the impact of SKYFALL had been greater if there had been another Craig mission in between.  Or even two. 

My opinion as well. I know there's supposed to be a huge gap between QoS and Skyfall (4/6 years, not going to debate about this once again), but it still feels weird that in CR and QoS Craig is a rookie and then in Skyfall he suddenly is a master agent.

Edited by Walecs, 28 June 2015 - 06:32 PM.

#179 Emrayfo

Emrayfo

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 193 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 09:50 PM

My opinion as well. I know there's supposed to be a huge gap between QoS and Skyfall (4/6 years, not going to debate about this once again), but it still feels weird that in CR and QoS Craig is a rooky and then in Skyfall he suddenly is a master agent.

Yes. Filling that gap with our imaginations isn't the same as having an actual film there. But I'm hoping the heavy-handed 'old man' themes they over did in Skyfall are now completely gone in SPECTRE and that this film also goes some way to repairing the narrative hole due to the missing BQAS film (Between Quantum and Skyfall).

#180 bond_azoozbond

bond_azoozbond

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 383 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 12:12 AM

Are we going to hear any Bond 25 news after Spectre release and before the end of this year ?
If so then we could highly see Bond 25 coming soon .. I remember after CR we learned the next one was on the work already ..
If SP and the next one were related to each other I hope no more than 2 years .. I think its a positive thing specially for the non bond fan audiences .. Their mind gonna be fresh enough considering the short gap .. If Bond 25 was totally a new story which I doubt (SP gonna top Skyfall "my prediction") then it could be more than 2 years ..