This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Pussy No More?

94 replies to this topic

Poll: Pussy No More?

Should Blofeld return, what features should he have?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Should Blofeld's cat return, how should this be handled?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 seawolfnyy

seawolfnyy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 12:36 PM

How about this - Waltz character really is Franz Oberhauser, throughout the film we see him sitting at the top of the table in a conference room with members of SPECTRE - at the end of the film Bond breaks into the room to see the room empty, apart from the cat walking on the table towards him. The cat looks up at him and says "I've been expecting you, Mr. Bond. My name is Blofeld" - role credits! 

Um, yes....please. But, I really like the idea of it being a very seductive looking Monica Bellucci saying it instead. I might just die if that happens. :wub:

#32 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 12:51 PM

I think he should wear an Octopus logo ring, and I'm up for a cat reference. I don't think he has to be bald at all, either.

#33 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 01:03 PM

I can't believe it, I really forgot to include the cat into the feature poll.

Now updated...

#34 FlemingBond

FlemingBond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 03:12 PM

I'm not sure how i feel about the cat. Obviously in the 60's it was used to dehumanize Blofeld while not showing his face. I wouldn't mind if Blofeld wasn't shown onscreen if this is going to be a multi-picture story.

#35 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 03:16 PM

If he's not going to be shown, there's no need to cast Christoph Waltz.

Unless, of course, Waltz isn't Blofeld...

#36 ChrissBond007

ChrissBond007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1552 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 03:30 PM

If he's not going to be shown, there's no need to cast Christoph Waltz.

Unless, of course, Waltz isn't Blofeld...

I agree. If they casted Christoph Waltz as a villain named Oberhauser, they wouldn't show ''Oberhauser'' as the faceless leader of SPECTRE stroking his cat. But I actually have a feeling Waltz might have been cast as someone like SPECTRE #2 . Perhaps the actor playing Blofeld has not been confirmed yet?

Like most here, I expect Waltz will be Blofeld, but it seems so obvious that perhaps we might be in for a suprise. 

I defenitely want the white cat in the film btw. 

#37 AgenttiNollaNollaSeitsemän

AgenttiNollaNollaSeitsemän

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 493 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 03:34 PM

I think it is plausible that Franz Oberhauser, the son of Bond's childhood mentor (and possibly his boyhood friend) has become a villain - that would give Bond a personal motivation to hunt down the source of such corrupting evil, Ernst Stavro Blofeld, in Bond 25 - especially if it is revealed that Blofeld was involved with Quantum who got Vesper killed.

#38 Ernst Stavro BIofeld

Ernst Stavro BIofeld

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 61 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 05:25 PM

I would prefer to see the cat, as a nice homage, but it really depends on just how it can be achieved without making people think of Mr. Bigglesworth since modern audiences have been conditioned to likely think of such following the success of the Austin Powers films. I think it could be done, but the tone in which the cat makes appearances would be crucial.

#39 MattofSteel

MattofSteel

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2482 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 05:28 PM

A friend of mine had (what I consider to be) a phenomenal idea about a hypothetical Blofeld cat during a discussion about Skyfall's Komodo dragons.

Blofeld's interests could include the raising and/or possession of deadly or endangered animals (along the lines of his otherwise-pointless-except-for-killing-underlings piranha pool in YOLT). Could be any number of character-based reasons. Maybe he likes the reminder of death always being near. Maybe it's a precursor to a Garden of Death itself - he has an environmentalist/preservationist bent as an outward guise but doesn't limit his "collecting" to poisonous plants. It also includes lethal species.

So, the cat? It would be a small/baby white bengal tiger that he's tamed. It would still be occasionally nasty. Not exactly a lap animal all the time.

http://en.wikipedia....iki/White_tiger

Maybe one of several. Maybe he "resets" with a new cat/tiger every few months. And at some point, he'd get to deliver a wonderful Silva-esque monologue reflecting the inevitability of time/survival in a harsh, unforgiving world as the animal matures, changes, and its natural instincts take over. Probably in some situation where he's trying to recruit Bond for SPECTRE.

"My friendly companion loves me. It needs me. And one day it won't. Its instincts will tell it that it's supposed to kill me. That's my reminder. That every thing in my life will inevitably decide my life is worth less than what it instinctively needs. We cannot attach ourselves to anything but ourselves. Our own survival is always paramount - caring about anyone or anything else is an opportunity of convenience, at best. Your walls will fail you too, Mr. Bond. A country, an institution - they will outgrow you long before you outgrow them. Ideology is no different. That is why we operate without one. And that's why your place - the only place you could ever really survive - is with SPECTRE."

Bond would then issue a simple rejection phrased around this all being about Blofeld's inability to keep said pussy satisfied.

How about this - Waltz character really is Franz Oberhauser, throughout the film we see him sitting at the top of the table in a conference room with members of SPECTRE - at the end of the film Bond breaks into the room to see the room empty, apart from the cat walking on the table towards him. The cat looks up at him and says "I've been expecting you, Mr. Bond. My name is Blofeld" - role credits! 

Failing the above, I'd also kind of love this.

#40 Professor Pi

Professor Pi

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1430 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 08:41 PM

That is a great speech there, worthy of Doctor Julius No. 

And what if there is a cat to which Oberhauser reacts, "Do I look like I give a damn?"

#41 HoneyDiamond

HoneyDiamond

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 60 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 09:11 PM

I hope Waltz is Blofeld.  I never thought Blofeld was a consistent character anyway.  But I honestly don't mind if he is very different.  As long as he is menacing and has an accent, I'm good. 

I don't think he should be bald or have a cat.  I don't feel like those things define Blofeld.  I'm actually surprised that I have him defined as loosely as I do. 

I am not a big fan of changing his gender though.  I would be disappointed if they went that way.  (Even though Bellucci rocks)

#42 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 10:42 PM

I don't mind the cat, but thanks to Mike Myers I find it too synonymous with Dr. Evil. If they bring the cat, I'd like it to be a completely different kind of cat, and just have it uses once. Maybe a scene of Blofeld stroking it will suffice.

#43 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 10:59 PM

Bellucci: "I have a surprise for you, Ernst."

"Meow."

Waltz: "A cat? what the hell do I want that for? Hinx! Feeding time!"

"Woar...!"

"Gulp - urp."

Bellucci: "Ernst! How could you?!"

Waltz (a la Whittaker): "Hell, Oddjob woulda done it."

End of reference.

James Bond will return in

Never Say Pussy Again

#44 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 11:02 PM

Bellucci: "I have a surprise for you, Ernst."

"Meow."

Waltz: "A cat? what the hell do I want that for? Hinx! Feeding time!"

"Woar...!"

"Gulp - urp."

End of reference.

Coming in 2018: Never Say Pussy Again

LOL

#45 Gobi-1

Gobi-1

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1529 posts

Posted 07 December 2014 - 08:14 PM

Blofeld doesn't have to be bald or have a scar but he must have a cat.

cc%20dawson.jpg

#46 Fairbanks

Fairbanks

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 55 posts

Posted 07 December 2014 - 09:20 PM

I would give him a cat. So what if it's been parodied? All they need is one little winking line of dialogue, like Bond seeing the cat in Blofeld's lair and saying, "Somehow I knew you'd be a cat guy." 

#47 JamesPup

JamesPup

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 26 posts

Posted 07 December 2014 - 11:11 PM

I want a cat

#48 Trevelyan 006

Trevelyan 006

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 04:36 AM

I picture Waltz keeping his hair, sporting a mild facial scar. I'd like at least a small reference to a cat somewhere in the film, but should Blofeld be stroking it in every scene? No. Mike Myers killed that one. No Mao coat. No baldness. They've fallen too deeply into parodyland. 

Edited by Trevelyan 006, 08 December 2014 - 04:37 AM.

#49 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 08 December 2014 - 12:08 PM

Others here have pointed out the problem with the cat - Mike Myers and other parodies. If it does appear there will be a momentary cheer, perhaps, as there may have been when Bond's old standby the DB5 was revealed in the lockup in SF. But then the parodies will start again.

The octopus symbol is back, in some form, obviously, and I'd imagine it will be used by characters in the film, though not necessarily in the same way as before. I'd guess that "Number 1" - whoever he is - will play the old game of blaming one underling whilst killing the other (Why his employees didn't twig that SPECTRE management appraisal meetings usually ended up with Number 3 getting the telling off but Number 5 getting the poisoned knife/electric chair/piranha tank treatment is beyond me. The more Blofeld growled at an underling the more he/she should have thought "I'm in the clear, but the other guy's had it!") 

There might be the board meetings, but again done differently - more hi-tech? (Actually, those ear pods used by the Quantum types in QoS might be a method of eliminating a board member who has failed. A bit like the earphone electrocution in FYEO.) 

But the cat? I don't know. Since the parodies have been done to death, I wonder if Blofeld will be given a new pet fetish?

#50 Call Billy Bob

Call Billy Bob

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2917 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 03:08 PM

If they want to go a different direction, it's right there in the organization's logo:

Giant pet octopus!

#51 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 03:46 PM

Others here have pointed out the problem with the cat - Mike Myers and other parodies. If it does appear there will be a momentary cheer, perhaps, as there may have been when Bond's old standby the DB5 was revealed in the lockup in SF. But then the parodies will start again.

The octopus symbol is back, in some form, obviously, and I'd imagine it will be used by characters in the film, though not necessarily in the same way as before. I'd guess that "Number 1" - whoever he is - will play the old game of blaming one underling whilst killing the other (Why his employees didn't twig that SPECTRE management appraisal meetings usually ended up with Number 3 getting the telling off but Number 5 getting the poisoned knife/electric chair/piranha tank treatment is beyond me. The more Blofeld growled at an underling the more he/she should have thought "I'm in the clear, but the other guy's had it!") 

There might be the board meetings, but again done differently - more hi-tech? (Actually, those ear pods used by the Quantum types in QoS might be a method of eliminating a board member who has failed. A bit like the earphone electrocution in FYEO.) 

But the cat? I don't know. Since the parodies have been done to death, I wonder if Blofeld will be given a new pet fetish?

In my opinion, there does not need to be a pet for Blofeld.

But if they wanted to get the cat back - I think they should just go ahead and not care about Austin Powers or any new parodies.  Just come right out and say: we don´t give a XXX about someone ridiculing this.  That would be more courageous and badass than working around it.

#52 Admiral Messervey

Admiral Messervey

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 54 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 04:26 PM

I would prefer to see the cat, as a nice homage, but it really depends on just how it can be achieved without making people think of Mr. Bigglesworth since modern audiences have been conditioned to likely think of such following the success of the Austin Powers films. I think it could be done, but the tone in which the cat makes appearances would be crucial.

Except Angora always had fur; Mr. Bigglesworth had fur early in the 1967 scene and turned up bare and furless for the remainder of the film (and its two subsequent sequels). Besides, Austin Powers is no more a slowly fading memory as the rest of Mike Meyers' career post Shrek Forever After (and The Love Guru).

Yes, I'm for the cat even if its a tiny glimpse. Bald or hair on Blofeld can go either way as long as we don't have him in drag again.

Edited by Admiral Messervey, 08 December 2014 - 04:32 PM.

#53 JCRendle

JCRendle

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3639 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 08:50 PM

Why should baldness be a character "trait" for Blofeld anyway? The cat has been a staple with him, but his hair, or lack their of? Charles Gray wasn't bald. In Ian Fleming's books, Blofeld would go to great expense to change his appearance - including plastic surgery.

#54 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 08:57 PM

There shouldn't be a cat in SPECTRE, nor any of the other traits that have come to define the cinematic Blofeld (i.e. Baldness, Mao jackets, etc.) 

#55 Call Billy Bob

Call Billy Bob

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2917 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 09:03 PM

Why must you shatter my hopes and dreams, tdalton?!? I kid, I kid...

#56 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 09:54 PM

Of course, Blofeld had pet fighting fish in FRWL, aswell as a cat.

#57 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 12:04 AM

The cat had to live on something...

#58 Fairbanks

Fairbanks

Midshipman

• Crew