#91 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 08:40 AM

In simple terms... I don't believe it.

But I'm intrigued by the Oberhauser suggestion. That's not an amateur level of trolling; that's a fairly well developed idea.

I'm not ready to believe this rumour yet, either. However I don't have any real apprehension about the concept, or with a new interpretation of Blofeld. 

#92 Shrublands

Shrublands

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 09:47 AM

In simple terms... I don't believe it.

But I'm intrigued by the Oberhauser suggestion. That's not an amateur level of trolling; that's a fairly well developed idea.

Yes, that's way to developed an idea to have come off the top of the head of some hack with no real info.

It's just too strange a thing for the press to make up. I could easily see them making up the Blofeld bit, but why couple it with something like the Oberhauser detail? 

I think that the story being credited to two people might be key to understanding what might be going on here - One writer based in London the other L.A.

Could it be that two journalists received different inside info and went to the Mail's editor with two Bond stories on the same day, with the stories ending up being merged together for publication?

One had information and quotes regarding the return of Blofeld - with only an assumption that this must be the part taken by Waltz

The other with news about the press conference and Waltz playing Oberhauser's son. 

That's the only explanation I can think of right now. 

#93 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 09:57 AM

I don't believe the franchise needs Blofeld at all to be re-introduced. Has others have stated now, bringing back Blofeld, while it may great to see another reincarnation of the character after so many years, it's just going background. Skyfall introduced us to a new M, Moneypenny, and Q. That's it, the franchise should just move forward instead of bringing up old villains to reboot, no matter what award actor (or not) is playing them. Create new, interesting, menacing villains with the reboot timeline instead of going to the past. Just my two cents.

And when the names Hans and Franz are paired, I can only think of these guys.

LOL :D

My issue with rebooting Blofeld is that I see no significant character traits exclusive to him in the original stories or films that really stand out and necessitate a revival of the character. He's a bad guy, like any other, brought to a certain level of fame arguably for the rarity of being a recurring villain in the Bond franchise. I say forge a modern, three dimensional psychopathic genius. Silva was a rough first step. There's so much more that can be done, though. Oh well, we don't know anything for sure at the moment, and regardless of the name, if Waltz sends a chill down my spine then he will have done his job.

Well said.

#94 Orion

Orion

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1579 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 10:16 AM

I read this and think...why would they bother? FYEO opening sequence put it best with the rather blatant demonstration that Blofeld is not a character the franchise actually needs.

#95 Agent 76

Agent 76

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7080 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 10:45 AM

The press conference is coming, and that's exciting. When it comes to movies, Bond does it best. I'm just happy to have Waltz in the bond franchise, whichever character he plays. I'm quite certain he'll be terrific in it. 

#96 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 10:49 AM

Had someone told me a few years ago that we'd be enthusiastically discussing the guy who played the lead in "The Roy Black Story" (a biopic on the tragic life of a german Schlager singer) to play Blofeld, I would have declared him nuts. Waltz has been a familiar face to me for at least 20 years, seen him countless times on German TV, and the way his career took still seems a bit unreal to me. Don't get me wrong, personaly, I've always seen him as a good actor, but Oscar material? Before his rise to fame, he barely would have made the Top Ten in a list of German language actors...

I'll believe all this Oberhauser/Blofeld stuff when I see it happen. It doesn't require too much to make this story up, just a bit of Bond knowledge (not all journalists are stupid hacks). Those who've been around here for a bit longer certainly have learned their lesson on how easy it is to make up rumours. When it sounds just a bit too good, I'm sceptical.

Oh, and when it comes to Hans & Franz, I can only think of these two guys: 
http://www.blick.ch/...-id2609578.html

(no kidding, that's what she calls them)

#97 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 23 November 2014 - 10:56 AM

But isn't "rebooting" a bit like going forwards and backwards? A new start in 2006 for a character - James Bond - but the task still remains to re-establish him and that includes re-introducing the likes of M, Q and Moneypenny as well. Blofeld doesn't have to be rebooted also - we still don't really know if there's much substance to the new report - but I'm puzzled as to why it would be a "backward step"? One might as well say that reworking the MI6 backroom staff was, or indeed the whole reboot idea, and perhaps some of us here may think so.

I think the problem here is the so called "timeline" of the series. It messes it up to see a character from a bygone age of Bond suddenly re-emerge minus the backstory - such as Tracy's murder - which goes with it. But Blofeld's re-emergence, if it happens in Bond 24, will be in the context of what has been, since 2006, effectively a new series of Bond films. If Blofeld does appear in the next movie it won't be a case of "so we meet again, Mr. Bond" because in this new series, it will be a first time encounter. I'd like to see it, but I appreciate the views of those who don't, and although this Daily Mail item appears to have a bit more to it than the usual red top stuff, it may yet prove to be a bit of a "red top" herring! ;)

#98 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 11:52 AM

I agree with Shrublands that this article could be conflating two rumours and reaching the wrong conclusion. For instance, even if Christoph Waltz is unveiled as Franz Oberhauser, we shouldn't then assume he's definitely Blofeld.

If we take these two bits of news in isolation, I'm fairly keen on the Oberhauser idea, and the possibility that he's a character who is initially friendly, but has a reason to resent Bond. It does make Austria integral as a location though, so is this idea fresh, or were they never planning on using Svalbard? Unclear.

As for Blofeld, I don't have a problem with reintroducing the character and playing on the unused traits from the books. I'll really start worrying if they shave Waltz's head and start recruiting white cats. I think that idea of Blofeld needs to stay in the past.

#99 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 12:17 PM

I think Blofeld's initial main trait, according to the books, used to be an ingenious use of small yet crucial information he gained a short time before others. Before he appears on stage he already had built two private wartime intelligence networks, discarding them when he felt their usefulness had reached beyond its zenith. A one-man Quantum if you will. A similar concept is the main drive behind today's grey financial market and a Blofeld of our time would no doubt find ways to make good use of this niche for his own profit.

He would not need to confine his talents to a single field, could just as well sell services and information in IT-related branches as provide useful contacts in governments as a lobbyist for various different causes. Often the ear of a minister is more valuable than the entire body. So in this way a modern Blofeld could play various angles of our economy, and by far not all of them need be criminal or sinister. Blofeld doesn't have to be the bad guy. Yet.

Edited by Dustin, 23 November 2014 - 05:28 PM.

#100 Shrublands

Shrublands

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 12:32 PM

I agree with Shrublands that this article could be conflating two rumours and reaching the wrong conclusion. For instance, even if Christoph Waltz is unveiled as Franz Oberhauser, we shouldn't then assume he's definitely Blofeld.

Exactly. 

It could well have gone like this.

One bit of information says - At the press conference, Christoph Waltz will be unveiled as a character called Franz Oberhauser.

Where as info from a different source says - The main villain in Bond 24 turns out to be Blofeld, who has been reimagined for the new films in a non-camp form.

All you have to do is assume that Waltz is playing the main villain and you get the Mail's story.

I believe that there is a serious possibility that these are actually unrelated bits of news. 

#101 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 23 November 2014 - 12:52 PM

I agree with Vauxhall about the Franz Oberhauser character - it could easily be separate from Blofeld or anyone else, or a cover for Blofeld. And I agree with Dustin about a re-imaged Blofeld. "Knowledge of the truth before the next man" to borrow from Thunderball, was the basis of Blofeld's fortune in that book and I can see how a "Blofeld Begins" story could be based around that - even more so in an age of instant communication such as we have now. The character could be, if not a good guy then not yet an adversary of MI6 in general and Bond in particular. Circumstances could change that. Suppose, for example, "Franz Oberhauser" is a cover name Blofeld has acquired having murdered the real person and his father and stolen their fortune - gold or whatever.

(Sorry if that's pointing in the direction of yet another "this time it's personal" angle, but I can see it coming a mile off if it turns out 24's villain - Blofeld or otherwise - was involved in Hannes' death.)

One more thing. I don't know any more than anyone else here if the Daily Mail report really has much to it, although the mention of "Oberhauser" makes me wonder. I would mention, however, that BBC Radio 4 reported it earlier today in its "Review of the Press" section of the seven o'clock news. It's not like the "Beeb" to recycle red top movie speculation stuff unless there was something to it. Having said that, it could easily be that by next month the "Beeb" could have been taken in like the rest of us.

(P. S. I'm not keen on Christoph Waltz's take on Blofeld, if it happens, involving a bald head and a Persian cat either!)

#102 mummyboy11

mummyboy11

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 54 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 02:31 PM

I think a return for Blofeld might be a good idea since older audiences that may feel detached to the saga can feel some urge to see the new Bond. I think creating new villains or organisations (like Quantum ou Mr.White) as been proved not very sucessfull in CR and QOS. Or maybe it was the lack of mistery (people always recall the image of just the hand caressing the white cat) or the fact that they were filmed as a sequence... 

Let's wait and see... 

PS: I wouldn't expect much info in the press conference rather than the tittle and a few hints of the story's tone...let's keep the surprises to next year. I guess too much info would ruin the surprise.

#103 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 02:41 PM

Had someone told me a few years ago that we'd be enthusiastically discussing the guy who played the lead in "The Roy Black Story" (a biopic on the tragic life of a german Schlager singer) to play Blofeld, I would have declared him nuts. Waltz has been a familiar face to me for at least 20 years, seen him countless times on German TV, and the way his career took still seems a bit unreal to me. Don't get me wrong, personaly, I've always seen him as a good actor, but Oscar material? Before his rise to fame, he barely would have made the Top Ten in a list of German language actors...

I'll believe all this Oberhauser/Blofeld stuff when I see it happen. It doesn't require too much to make this story up, just a bit of Bond knowledge (not all journalists are stupid hacks). Those who've been around here for a bit longer certainly have learned their lesson on how easy it is to make up rumours. When it sounds just a bit too good, I'm sceptical.

Oh, and when it comes to Hans & Franz, I can only think of these two guys: 
http://www.blick.ch/...-id2609578.html

(no kidding, that's what she calls them)

So true, everything you say.  I feel the same way.   :D

#104 AdaShelby

AdaShelby

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 44 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 02:41 PM

PS: I wouldn't expect much info in the press conference rather than the tittle and a few hints of the story's tone...let's keep the surprises to next year. I guess too much info would ruin the surprise.

Also, we should get some character names and short descriptions of what the characters are like. Baring in mind, the descriptions given for the two new Bond girls could be just deja vu as the Bond girls seem slightly similar to ones from Skyfall, from the supposed rumours/ announcements:

Lea Seydoux: A french femme fatale

"Unknown actress: A british agent

#105 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 05:07 PM

It would take a certain amount of digging on the part of tabloid "hacks" to come up with the name Hannes Oberhauser, digging that I can't imagine your typical hack would do, (I.e getting hold of a copy of the book "Octopussy and The Living Daylights and actually reading it!) so I think there may be some substance to the suggestion in the Daily Mail report above rather than the usual red top made up stuff.

Yeah, this sounds like there's something to it. The "Franz Oberhauser" bit makes sense of the suggestion that Waltz would have a personal connection to 007, as well as using Austria as an important location.

I'm not sure how they plan to get to Blofeld from Franz Oberhauser (assuming that part of the report is accurate), though perhaps the idea is to reinvent Blofeld as a much more personal nemesis. I imagine the Nazi gold will come into it.

#106 rubixcub

rubixcub

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 05:31 PM

I also don't see the need to bring back Blofeld.  I'm worried that it DOES fit in with the reboot of M, Q, and Moneypenny, as well as the producers' acquisition of the rights to the character, not to mentions the recent trend of "surprise" villains and early denials of same (Marion Cotillard as Talia al Ghul in "The Dark Knight Rises" and Benedict Cumberbatch as Khan in "Star Trek: Into Darkness").  Oberhauser as an alias also makes sense.

I personally would rather see Franz Oberhauser, Bond villain with connection to Bond's past, than a return of Blofeld.  There's something about the latter that kind of undoes SPECTRE and the early films (Dr. No, FRWL, TB, YOLT, OHMSS & DAF).  It kind of makes it like they didn't exist, and I think that's what bothers me most about it.  The affectation of the white cat wouldn't be taken seriously in a post-Austin Powers world, but I still maintain the character could use a memorable affectation; in other words, Blofeld without the cat wouldn't seem quite right to me.

The Oberhauser report DOES also lend credence to Austria playing Austria rather than Norway.  Also, we have Waltz playing a character with a name distinctly of his own nationality, so if he took on the role originally designated for Ejiofor, I imagine a great deal of changes must have taken place.  I think this script was originally set for a Norwegian setting and a villain of perhaps unknown provenance.  Now it's Austria with an Austrian villain.

Dave

Edited by rubixcub, 23 November 2014 - 05:34 PM.

#107 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 05:48 PM

This does very much mesh with the "007: Origins" slant that the whole Craig era has taken up until now.

Waltz as Blofeld is inspired (if obvious) casting. Waltz has the weirdness of Pleasance, the menace of Savalas, and the humor of Gray.

#108 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 07:56 PM

It would take a certain amount of digging on the part of tabloid "hacks" to come up with the name Hannes Oberhauser, digging that I can't imagine your typical hack would do, (I.e getting hold of a copy of the book "Octopussy and The Living Daylights and actually reading it!) so I think there may be some substance to the suggestion in the Daily Mail report above rather than the usual red top made up stuff.

Yeah, this sounds like there's something to it. The "Franz Oberhauser" bit makes sense of the suggestion that Waltz would have a personal connection to 007, as well as using Austria as an important location.

I'm not sure how they plan to get to Blofeld from Franz Oberhauser (assuming that part of the report is accurate), though perhaps the idea is to reinvent Blofeld as a much more personal nemesis. I imagine the Nazi gold will come into it.

Here's my construction of it: 

At Altaussee, there's an old salt mine, where the real "Monuments Men" found a huge vault of Nazi-Gold and stolen art (see, there isn't even a need to go to Lake Toplitz) after WWII. Young Franz and a friend (Blofeld) find an undiscovered Nazi vault. Blofeld kills Franz and empties the vault, then flees but makes a Tom Ripley move and poses as Franz afterwards. Happened a few years ago, Blofeld used the funds to create SPECTRE (of which Quantum is only a sub-division). Old Hannes doesn't know anything about it, he thinks his sone has been a doctor somewhere in the jungle for the last few years. But now there's a need for "Franz" to return home, which is why Hannes has to die (plane crash onto the house?). Bond goes to Austria for Hannes' funeral, meets Franz/Blofeld who he hasn't seen since he was a boy, and becomes suspicious for some reason. The take it from there...

A casting suggestion for Hannes Oberhauser: what would be more fitting than to cast the man who really taught James Bond how to ski: Willy Bogner himself. He's not an actor, but he coud pull it of quite easily.

#109 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 09:28 PM

Lovely idea! I'd go for it, Bogner included!

#110 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 10:57 PM

I think this is interesting even though we can't believe it yet until we get confirmation.

But if Waltz is ultimately playing Blofeld, I don't think they'd announce it at next week's press conference. Wouldn't that be something that would remain a secret until the movie comes out?

I imagine that he would be announced as Oberhauser and what kind of role he is playing to be left ambigious (even in the trailer).

#111 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 11:25 PM

I think this is interesting even though we can't believe it yet until we get confirmation.

But if Waltz is ultimately playing Blofeld, I don't think they'd announce it at next week's press conference. Wouldn't that be something that would remain a secret until the movie comes out?

I imagine that he would be announced as Oberhauser and what kind of role he is playing to be left ambigious (even in the trailer).

Exactly. They'll deny it, just like they denied that Eve was Moneypenny.

#112 FredJB007

FredJB007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 154 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 05:40 AM

Just throwing something out there. Blofeld meets Bond for the first time in the novels in OHMSS. How about a remake? It's been long enough and Daniel would get to play Bond with the two great loves of 007's life- Vesper and Tracy. A lot of the film is being shot in Austria. Great for skiing sequences. And introducing Waltz as Blofeld. For me, it's the best Bond novel and enough time has passed since the original. Again, just a thought.

#113 Call Billy Bob

Call Billy Bob

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2917 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 05:43 AM

I'm in the minority, but I've been waiting for Blofeld since I knew Casino Royale was going to be a reboot. To me, Bond is best with Blofeld and SPECTRE. Everything else, while it may be great, always leaves me a little disappointed... maybe it's the traditionalist in me, but Blofeld coming back might make this my favorite Craig film by default.

#114 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 10:59 AM

The "Waltz as Blofeld" story is all over the online versions of the UK newspapers today, even the "serious" ones such as The Guardian and The Independent. The Bond 24 team have not, so far, said anything to contradict it. Why should they, I suppose, when it generates interest? Admittedly the serious press also reported earlier in the year the speculation about Chiwetel Ejoifor's possible involvement in the film, but I expect we're getting very close to a proper announcement about who's who and what's what in 24, and I'm beginning to think there might, just might be something in all this. I say this also because we've had other actors touted as "the new Blofeld in the next Bond" in the past in certain tabloids and none of the broadsheets have bothered to recycle the reports. This time, as I posted yesterday, even the BBC radio news picked up the ball and ran with it.

(That said, there was a lot of speculation even after he was cast about Ralph Fiennes role in SF - good guy, bad guy, was he playing "Blofeld"? - and few cottoned on at the time to him being the new M.)

This is either a massive misdirection, with sighs of disappointment or relief when the truth is revealed, or the UK media at least is recycling something that may prove correct very soon.

#115 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 11:24 AM

I'm in the minority, but I've been waiting for Blofeld since I knew Casino Royale was going to be a reboot. To me, Bond is best with Blofeld and SPECTRE. Everything else, while it may be great, always leaves me a little disappointed... maybe it's the traditionalist in me, but Blofeld coming back might make this my favorite Craig film by default.

Pretty much agree with this. Blofeld is James Bonds nemesis, his number one enemy and we haven't seen that in years. It has been proven that Bond films can do well without Blofeld. Just like Doctor Who can survive without The Master, or Batman can go a while without meeting The Joker However, seeing a return to this could be something very special. It depends how it's done. I have faith in Mendes that he can pull this off. Blofeld isn't just a man with a cat. It's time to show every other super villain how it's done. 

#116 seawolfnyy

seawolfnyy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 12:31 PM

My thoughts are that it is about time Blofeld returned. He is the only classic character that has yet to make a comeback and we are long overdue for that final Bond/Blofeld confrontation. A lot of people don't want to see/believe it, but I think they're going to have to accept it and probably soon. Also, I feel that Waltz's interpretation would be far more Savalas than Gray or Pleasance.

#117 Hansen

Hansen

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 431 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 01:12 PM

I agree on that. But for me, Blofeld is just the ultimate bad guy that Bond has to defeat. I would be truly pissed off if they bring again some personal connection with Bond (à la Nolan).

#118 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 01:24 PM

The "Waltz as Blofeld" story is all over the online versions of the UK newspapers today, even the "serious" ones such as The Guardian and The Independent. The Bond 24 team have not, so far, said anything to contradict it. Why should they, I suppose, when it generates interest? Admittedly the serious press also reported earlier in the year the speculation about Chiwetel Ejoifor's possible involvement in the film, but I expect we're getting very close to a proper announcement about who's who and what's what in 24, and I'm beginning to think there might, just might be something in all this. I say this also because we've had other actors touted as "the new Blofeld in the next Bond" in the past in certain tabloids and none of the broadsheets have bothered to recycle the reports. This time, as I posted yesterday, even the BBC radio news picked up the ball and ran with it.

The trend in news now, sadly enough, is to pick up stories reported by other websites/channels if it's thought they'll generate lots of interest and online traffic. Both the Guardian and Independent are still entirely dependent on that Mail on Sunday article. Of course, that's to say that it's not true, but the secondary reports are merely lazy journalism.

For what it's worth, Baz hasn't responded to anyone on Twitter asking if he can confirm the Oberhauser/Blofeld reports. 

#119 Shrublands

Shrublands

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 01:34 PM

For what it's worth, Baz hasn't responded to anyone on Twitter asking if he can confirm the Oberhauser/Blofeld reports. 

That is interesting. Perhaps he has something to add on Thursday night. I'm expecting him to have one more big scoop before the press conference. 

#120 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 01:42 PM

Assuming there's a press conference, which there's going to be one, We only have a week or so to go until we find they answers that we seek.

Principal photography begins next saturday.