65 replies to this topic

#61 Jimbo007

Jimbo007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 285 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 04:41 PM

I haven't posted on here for years but have always stayed afloat reading all the great posts.  How can we forget ol' Tightpants?  Nice job, Jim!

#62 Hockey Mask

Hockey Mask

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1027 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 11:02 PM

I know I used that forum name once upon a time, but was that here? I remember the forum I used it in having a red and black design, but this one is white and blue.

Depends on the skin.

I see red and black.

I also see an old and banned member.

Accordingly, now seeing red.

If I have anything to do with it, you disappear now.

Oh look, I do have something to do with it.
Ha!

#63 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 23 January 2015 - 07:24 AM

I was in our local library yesterday and happened to see a biography of Dave Bautista. I didn't have time to do more than browse the book, but learned that he didn't take up professional wrestling until he was 30. Is that right? The blurb on the book's back cover was saying that he joined wrestling at a time when other well established wrestlers his age were looking to get into other lines of work - such as, say, being heavies in movies!

Ah well, it just goes to show that it's never too late to change career again and again!

#64 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 05:48 PM

That is pretty interesting, thanks for sharing. I wonder how long he can maintain his physique he is almost about 50.

Most people change their careers several times.

#65 Call Billy Bob

Call Billy Bob

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2917 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 06:32 PM

I was in our local library yesterday and happened to see a biography of Dave Bautista. I didn't have time to do more than browse the book, but learned that he didn't take up professional wrestling until he was 30. Is that right?

This is true! He grew up in a rough neighborhood and had many family and school issues. He worked as a bouncer and lifeguard before discovering bodybuilding, which he credits with saving his life. From there, he moved to wrestling.

#66 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 24 January 2015 - 08:10 AM

And good luck to him! As I said it's never too late to change course - I've done it myself, in my late thirties and haven't regretted it one moment since.

(Didn't go from bouncer to wrestler, I hasten to add!)

As a Bond heavy, and with his wrestling background, Dave Bautista is of course following in the footsteps of "Tosh Togo" aka Harold Sakata aka Oddjob. As "Tosh" he featured on those Saturday afternoon - usually around 4 pm - wrestling bouts shown on British TV in the 1960s. In fact they used to hold some bouts, not televised, where I live, so I wouldn't have been surprised if "Oddjob", in his real job, hadn't wrestled locally.

Bautista looks fearsome enough. It will be interesting to see how he turns out in Spectre.