223 replies to this topic

#31 Call Billy Bob

Call Billy Bob

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2917 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 02:51 AM

That's how it should be. Del Toro actually creates movies for the fun of making them and not just making a profit. Pacific Rim is an example of that. 

Exactly. Pacific Rim didn't do bad at the box office. It did well internationally, and decently here domestically. It didn't make the money it should have made domestically, but it wasn't a bomb like The Expendables 3 for example. Del Toro and Legendary Pictures had high aspirations for a sequel based on strong reviews from critics and audiences as well as the box office, but Warner Bros said no. Now that Legendary Pictures is partnered with Universal, Universal signed off on the sequel and Pacific Rim 2 is slated for April 7th, 2017.

I've never seen anything bad from Del Toro and he's an extremely versatile filmmaker, ranging from fantasy to action to adventure and now to horror. 

OMG THERE IS A SEQUEL!!!!!?!?! I'm definitely excited. I just think Pacific Rim is great because it's unique and it was made out of love. Have you seen Pacific Rim?

Yup. I'm extremely excited now that Universal picked up the distribution rights. Del Toro has stated that there's going to be bigger things in the sequel, especially in terms of scope, so I'm definitely excited. I saw it a year ago on my birthday and had a huge blast in the theater. Felt like a little kid watching it too. It was my top film of the summer (The Wolverine came in close!) and I'm strangely the only one of my friends to have enjoyed it thoroughly. After the disappointment that was this year's Godzilla, I went home and watched Pacific Rim and had a jolly good time. Both films are monster films at it's core, but Pacific Rim is better developed, fleshed out, handled and much more memorable than Godzilla was.

Now I can't answer that because I haven't seen Godzilla but I read your review regarding the role of Bryan Cranston and that's really stupid what they did with that character. 

Pacific Rim is well developed and memorable. I mean it was original! It was all about what Del Toro wanted and he just really made the movie with passion which is really cool.

Godzilla will hopefully improve with the sequels. I blame the script, it went through something like 4 rewrites during production. It tried to balance out human drama and monster battles but was just done completely wrong. It's better than the 1998 film, but it's still disappointing. I'm actually quite shocked that the original Japanese production company, Toho enjoyed it.

I actually read an article once (I can't remember for the life of me where!) that said Toho as a company is only concerned with the portrayal of Gojira himself as far as their approval of one of his films. They understand the humans in each film are there to provide structure to the narrative, but realize that the big draw is Godzilla and whatever monster/monsters he happens to be fighting. If his appearance fits their criteria, they love it.

#32 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 02:58 AM

That's how it should be. Del Toro actually creates movies for the fun of making them and not just making a profit. Pacific Rim is an example of that. 

Exactly. Pacific Rim didn't do bad at the box office. It did well internationally, and decently here domestically. It didn't make the money it should have made domestically, but it wasn't a bomb like The Expendables 3 for example. Del Toro and Legendary Pictures had high aspirations for a sequel based on strong reviews from critics and audiences as well as the box office, but Warner Bros said no. Now that Legendary Pictures is partnered with Universal, Universal signed off on the sequel and Pacific Rim 2 is slated for April 7th, 2017.

I've never seen anything bad from Del Toro and he's an extremely versatile filmmaker, ranging from fantasy to action to adventure and now to horror. 

OMG THERE IS A SEQUEL!!!!!?!?! I'm definitely excited. I just think Pacific Rim is great because it's unique and it was made out of love. Have you seen Pacific Rim?

Yup. I'm extremely excited now that Universal picked up the distribution rights. Del Toro has stated that there's going to be bigger things in the sequel, especially in terms of scope, so I'm definitely excited. I saw it a year ago on my birthday and had a huge blast in the theater. Felt like a little kid watching it too. It was my top film of the summer (The Wolverine came in close!) and I'm strangely the only one of my friends to have enjoyed it thoroughly. After the disappointment that was this year's Godzilla, I went home and watched Pacific Rim and had a jolly good time. Both films are monster films at it's core, but Pacific Rim is better developed, fleshed out, handled and much more memorable than Godzilla was.

Now I can't answer that because I haven't seen Godzilla but I read your review regarding the role of Bryan Cranston and that's really stupid what they did with that character. 

Pacific Rim is well developed and memorable. I mean it was original! It was all about what Del Toro wanted and he just really made the movie with passion which is really cool.

Godzilla will hopefully improve with the sequels. I blame the script, it went through something like 4 rewrites during production. It tried to balance out human drama and monster battles but was just done completely wrong. It's better than the 1998 film, but it's still disappointing. I'm actually quite shocked that the original Japanese production company, Toho enjoyed it.

I actually read an article once (I can't remember for the life of me where!) that said Toho as a company is only concerned with the portrayal of Gojira himself as far as their approval of one of his films. They understand the humans in each film are there to provide structure to the narrative, but realize that the big draw is Godzilla and whatever monster/monsters he happens to be fighting. If his appearance fits their criteria, they love it.

Sure the big draw is Gojira himself, but a large reason why a film does good isn't hindered particularly on the character itself. The story for Godzilla wasn't good, and revealing the big guy an hour into the film was a disservice. Any longer and I probably would've walked out extremely disappointed and upset. The human narrative wasn't well enough to give a damn about. It's like american fillmakers have a massive problem with capturing or recreating the same emotions of the narrative structure from the original 1954 Japanese film.

#33 Call Billy Bob

Call Billy Bob

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2917 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 03:01 AM

I actually enjoyed that. It gave the film a "Jaws" feel and was unlike any previous Godzilla movie, bar the original. The only thing I disliked was the other monsters - why do you introduce new monsters in a reboot Godzilla movie? Have the big guy be the lone threat and only give him slight heroic tendencies in a later film.

#34 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 03:18 AM

When you're potentially trying to reintroduce the character and start a franchise, it really wasn't a smart move. They show the monsters first before showing the king of monsters? That's blatantly wrong. If they cut back on the human narrative and had it structured properly, MAYBE it wouldn't have taken an hour to see him. It wasn't a tense build up to his reveal. He just shows up and makes his presence known and before his fight, they cut to a news footage clip instead or whatever it was. They spent time building up the monsters to be formidable foes and frightening and had no problem showing them cause destruction in the first hour leading up to Gojira, and choose to talk more and more about Gojira and follow him around his daily swim route across the ocean. 

I didn't have a problem with the monsters, they couldn't show the more memorable ones because they hadn't yet acquired the licensing from Toho to use them. At SDCC The director, Gareth Edwards and Legendary confirmed that they have acquired them and will be in future sequels to the film, so I'm happy about that. Anyways, the monsters were interesting looking, though if you're interested in looking at the behind the scenes artwork and such, check out the Art book of the film, lots of sketches and renditions of various unused designs of Gojira and the monsters, quite fascinating, despite being $50.00 lol. 

#35 Call Billy Bob

Call Billy Bob

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2917 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 03:22 AM

That's my point: Why have any other monsters AT ALL? The film's called Godzilla, not Godzilla vs. whatever the hell they were called.

#36 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 03:26 AM

I can see the need for the monsters, since Gojira is sort of an anti-hero, and having yet, another American production of the famous monster showing up and destroying buildings would've been just a rehash of the 1998 film. You need a monster (one was fine, having two was overkill) to sort of make things equal. Only thing was that Gojira wasn't shown as an anti-hero for the most part.

#37 Call Billy Bob

Call Billy Bob

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2917 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 03:29 AM

I guess when I finally get the film on blu-ray, I can fast forward through all the non-monster scenes like I do with all my other Godzilla films  ;)

#38 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 03:58 AM

I may buy the Blu Ray specifically for the steelbook case, but I might not because I'm not to impressed on the extras that are present.

#39 Call Billy Bob

Call Billy Bob

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2917 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 03:59 AM

Yeah, that case is sick... well worth the asking price, I think.

#40 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 01:40 PM

My most anticipated movie of next year is the new chapter in the "Star Wars" saga. Before I was a Bond fan I was a "Star Wars" fan and I'm excited to see the original cast back in the roles that made them famous. Of course, given the "Phantom Menace" experience I am bracing for disappointment. 

Then it's Bond 24 though I am interested to see how Guy Ritchie tackles "The Man From UNCLE". I loved the quirky nature of the 1960s TV show and am hoping he is somewhat faithful to the style.

#41 Messervy

Messervy

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1369 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 02:35 PM

Although it seems there'll be many blockbusters next year, I can't say I'm breathless with anticipation. Actually, the only movies I'm really looking forward to are Bond 24 and Mad Max Fury Road. Apart from those 2 which I truly want to see, I'll probably go see Star Wars, Terminator and Jupiter Ascending. That's about it. Not much to it, really.

#42 Call Billy Bob

Call Billy Bob

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2917 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 04:45 PM

Mad Max has me super pumped. Big Tom Hardy fan and a huge fan of the originals. This is one of the few "reboots" I'm happy to support, as "Beyond Thunderdome" was too long ago for a continuation.

#43 Messervy

Messervy

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1369 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 04:47 PM

Mad Max has me super pumped. Big Tom Hardy fan and a huge fan of the originals. This is one of the few "reboots" I'm happy to support, as "Beyond Thunderdome" was too long ago for a continuation.

I trust you watched the trailer? Awesome! A pure Mad Max feast!

#44 Call Billy Bob

Call Billy Bob

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2917 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 04:50 PM

I trust you watched the trailer? Awesome! A pure Mad Max feast!

It left me wanting so much more! I'm sensing a fantastic time spent at the theater this May!

#45 Iceskater101

Iceskater101

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2398 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 01:27 AM

Hmm this movie looks interesting. I have never seen the Mad Max movies though. 

#46 Call Billy Bob

Call Billy Bob

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2917 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 03:29 AM

I'd watch the first one from '79 for sure. A gritty piece of Australian cinema.

#47 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 08:17 PM

Rambo Last Blood™. I can't wait. B)

#48 Call Billy Bob

Call Billy Bob

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2917 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 04:05 AM

Oh, damn! Just now seeing this! I'm all aboard for one last hoorah from John J. Rambo

#49 Messervy

Messervy

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1369 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 04:37 PM

Not sure this one will really happen, though.

#50 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 10:16 PM

Not sure this one will really happen, though.

I have to agree with you on that one. With the decline in interest as well as box office revenue with Stallone's latest films, I honestly don't see a fifth Rambo film getting made any time soon. I'm sure a studio, this being Millennium Films would greenlight it, but, still, I doubt it would happen. The last film did decent, but no one, at least everyone I know who saw it, even remotely enjoyed it. 

Hmm this movie looks interesting. I have never seen the Mad Max movies though. 

The original film is pretty good, though I prefer the sequel, The Road Warrior much more. The third film, Beyond Thunderdome is simply just "meh" and I think it's the weakest in the series.

#51 Iceskater101

Iceskater101

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2398 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 10:46 PM

Yeah it's on my list of movies I have to watch eventually.. so maybe I will get around to finally watching the original. I like Tom Hardy a lot so I may check it out. 

#52 Call Billy Bob

Call Billy Bob

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2917 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 06:00 PM

November 25th - The Good Dinosaur, the latest from Disney/Pixar

Don't know a lot about it yet, but it's gotten my interest.

#53 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 07:02 PM

Just saw the trailer to TAK3N. I think it looks great, looking forward to it.

#54 Call Billy Bob

Call Billy Bob

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2917 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 07:21 PM

When Neeson said the only way he'd do TAK3N was if no one got taken, I wondered how they'd pull it off... this looks promising.

#55 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 07:24 PM

Based on Neeson's track record, along with Luc Besson's, I'll easily be passing on this one.

#56 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 03:17 AM

Just saw the trailer to TAK3N. I think it looks great, looking forward to it.

I was expecting Tak3n to look terrible, but the trailer looked surprisingly good.

#57 Iceskater101

Iceskater101

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2398 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 02:13 PM

I am done with the Taken franchise.. the first one was great but the other one.. I have no interest in seeing.

#58 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 02:14 PM

I am done with the Taken franchise.. the first one was great but the other one.. I have no interest in seeing.

Finally someone with a brain!

#59 Call Billy Bob

Call Billy Bob

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2917 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 02:33 PM

<shyly raises hand> I have a brain... and I liked the first two :blush:

#60 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 02:40 PM

<shyly raises hand> I have a brain... and I liked the first two :blush:

The first one was good. Second one. Don't get me started.