This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Deadline hints at new Mendes involvement for BOND 24

Empire: Its not Sam Mendes

404 replies to this topic

Poll: Who should direct Bond 24?

This is a public poll. Other members will be able to see which options you chose

Generally

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Specifically - for those who have already directed a Bond film

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Specifically - for those who haven't already directed a Bond film - multiple choices

Vote Guests cannot vote

#181 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:35 PM

Joe Wright, Matthew Vaughn, or Martin McDonagh

Haven't seen aything by Wright, Vaughn is good, but has a tendency to bow out of directing when he can't have his way, I Love McDonagh.

#182 TheManwiththeWaltherPPK

TheManwiththeWaltherPPK

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 147 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:38 PM

I enjoy Vaughn, but X-Men: First Class was so heavily Bond influenced that I worry a Vaughn-Bond would verge on pastiche.  

#183 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:36 PM

I heard he's pretty average. 

Watch The Soloist (Robert Downey Jr, Jamie Foxx) and Hanna (Saoirse Ronan and Eric Bana) and you'll change your mind.

Eh, just stick with HANNA.

#184 JohnnyWalker

JohnnyWalker

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 272 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 11:29 PM

I heard he's pretty average. 

Watch The Soloist (Robert Downey Jr, Jamie Foxx) and Hanna (Saoirse Ronan and Eric Bana) and you'll change your mind.

Eh, just stick with HANNA.

The Soloist was not well liked so it's probably not proof of anything, and I didn't love Hanna. Wouldn't argue if he was hired though.

#185 bondjames

bondjames

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 44 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 02:35 AM

I for one am not that displeased that Mendes is out. I think a lot of folks on this forum and elsewhere are giving him way too much credit for Skyfall. In the area where a director should shine (plot developlment, pacing, action) Skyfall was really not that good.

Where it was outstanding, absolutely outstanding, was in cinematography, and to a lesser extent in score. Both Thomas Newman and Roger Deakins brought a fresh approach to the movie that really helped it. So if Mendes is out, I'll really miss these two more than him.

I don't think Eon will go with a full blown action director. I think Pierce's last fiascos are too fresh in their mind to screw it up that way again. Logan's comments indicate that they will stay with the story focused Bonds and I think $1bn in box office will keep them on the story path.

I don't think Forster was all that bad. Retrospectively, he made a very fast paced, taut and well acted Bond movie. It was, as he said he wanted, like a speeding bullet, and is one of the easiest movies to get through if you want your Bond fix (at an impossibly short - for Bond - 107 minutes). There were only two issues with the movie: 1) the Bourne wannabe fight scenes that we could not follow - if he could eliminate that aspect of his work, we'd be in for a winner, especially since he's probably learned from his mistakes the last time around and will try to bring a bit of Mendes/Campbell's approach (given he has the least well reviewed of the Craig Bonds). 2) the Vesper grieving angle was overblown, but we're long done with that, so that's not something to worry about either. Forster, having learnt from his mistakes, could be great.

Personally though, I'm all for Martin Campbell. Without a doubt he brought us the two best Bond films in the last 20 years. He understands plot, pacing, picked the sexiest Bond girls (Famke, Izabella, Eva, Caterina), had some of the better Bond villains (both Mads and Sean were superb), and he understands how to make Bond movies the glamour vehicles they are supposed to be and not pathetic versions of XXX or Die Hard. Sadly, I'm pretty sure he won't return as I believe he's said he's done with the franchise.

So, what does Eon do? Rather than screwing it up royally with some idiot (like they did with Apted or Tamahori during Pierce's tenure for instance), I suggest getting Campbell back in an advisory oversight capacity - so he can inject the above elements while letting another director do the work.

Also, I'd be quite happy if they  do not bring back David Arnold. I've always thought he produced some of the most unmemorable music for Bond (although Quantum had some interesting elements - such as Night at the Opera). His action stuff in particular is just too noisy for a Bond movie, and an ear sore. I was looking forward to Newman again, but with Mendes out, it's unlikely. 

Edited by bondjames, 12 March 2013 - 02:45 AM.

#186 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 03:59 AM

Also, I'd be quite happy if they  do not bring back David Arnold. I've always thought he produced some of the most unmemorable music for Bond (although Quantum had some interesting elements - such as Night at the Opera). His action stuff in particular is just too noisy for a Bond movie, and an ear sore. I was looking forward to Newman again, but with Mendes out, it's unlikely. 

Agreed, although Newman's had some major success with Skyfall, so maybe the producers will ask him to return anyways.

#187 jrcjohnny99

jrcjohnny99

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 06:09 AM

I spoke to Joe Wright just before X-mas, immediately after the release of Skyfall and asked him about directing a Bond film; he said he would love to but he really wouldn't want to do the next one as he felt Mendes did a terrific job and the success of Skyfall would significantly increase the pressure on the director of 24.

I still think he'd be a great choice.

I'm not a huge fan of the soloist, but all his other work has been excellent. Atonement is an amazing pic and Anna Karenina was one of the my favourite movies of last year.

I would be VERY disappointed to see Campbell return; I'm not a fan of GF and his record outside of Bond is pretty poor.

#188 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 08:01 PM

Just seen this suggestion of Sofia Coppola whom I'm surprised I haven't seen discussed before. I haven't seen many of her films but I think her and Babs would have a lot in common.

Source: (7 People Who Should Totally Direct Bond 24)

#189 quantumofsolace

quantumofsolace

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1563 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 08:49 PM

Barbara Broccoli 'devastated' by Sam Mendes' decision not to direct second Bond film

http://www.telegraph...-Bond-film.html

#190 Hockey Mask

Hockey Mask

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1027 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 08:53 PM

Barbara Broccoli 'devastated' by Sam Mendes' decision not to direct second Bond film
http://www.telegraph...-Bond-film.html

That makes two of us.

#191 THX-007

THX-007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 208 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 11:11 PM

Just seen this suggestion of Sofia Coppola whom I'm surprised I haven't seen discussed before. I haven't seen many of her films but I think her and Babs would have a lot in common.

Source: (7 People Who Should Totally Direct Bond 24)

The possibility of Sofia Coppola are VERY low. Lost in Translation is an excellent film and even though I haven't seen her other work I can say that a James Bond action film isn't her style. If Sam Mendes got crap from some people when he was hired on to direct imagine the field day everyone would have if Coppola was hired to direct. Just to make this clear this isn't because she's a woman, unlike some other posts I've seen here, I have no qualms about the gender, race or nationality of directors or any other people in the creative field. I base this opinion solely on the work she's done so far. I would support a Kathleen Bigelow directed Bond film. 

I don't care if the director's from the UK or not or if its a man or woman. As long as they're good. 

#192 Berni99

Berni99

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 123 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 01:43 PM

Interview with Barbara & Michael

#193 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 06:38 PM

Wow, I never really thought about it but Craig is likely to become the longest serving Bond, its already been 7 years and he still has 2 film to go. Even if Bond 24 comes out in 2014 and Bond 25 in 2016, if he does one more after that in 2018 he'll be tied with Roger Moore with 12 years. 

#194 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 09:32 PM

Wow, they actually seem a little knocked back by the fact that Sam won't be returning. Hope they get the wheels spinning for a new director soon!

#195 007jamesbond

007jamesbond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1371 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 11:22 PM

From that interview, they have no one in mind yet who should direct Bond 24 .......it could near end of the year before we know.... 

#196 quantumofsolace

quantumofsolace

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1563 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 01:45 AM

thelist14march2013

Danny Boyle has ruled himself out of directing the next James Bond film

The 'Trance' filmmaker has insisted he has no interest in taking over the spy franchise from recently departed 'Skyfall' director Sam Mendes as he prefers working on smaller movies with strict budgets.

Asked whether he would consider directing the upcoming thriller he said: "No, I much prefer to have a ceiling. A ceiling that is limiting us and you try and break through."

The director explained that he likes to work under the pressure of a tight budget and couldn't work on a big blockbuster movie like Bond.

He said: "We want our films to look like $100 million, that's for sure. And we want them to sound like $200 million. But you try and do that with that cap on them. And that's where the energy, belief and evangelical nature of the process comes from."

He added: "It's not for me, I'm afraid. Because of the Bond thing in the Olympics, I visited the ['Skyfall'] set a few times and saw Sam [Mendes], Barbara Broccoli, Michael Wilson and Daniel Craig and everybody.

"They're different kinds of films, you know? They're huge. They're just huge. They wouldn't get the best out of me, doing that sort of thing."

#197 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 02:16 AM

^^^And there's the second bit of good news to come out regarding Bond 24

I'm sure that Michael Wilson and Barbara Broccoli already have a shortlist of directors that they'd at least like to talk to regarding the next film.  If there is any truth to the rumors of a 2014 release, then we'll probably hear some names being floated out there in the coming weeks or couple of months. 

Edited by tdalton, 15 March 2013 - 02:17 AM.

#198 lechero

lechero

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 278 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 05:31 PM

Apparently Tom Hooper is sought after to direct a Freddy Mercury biopic with Sasha Baron Cohen in the lead. Hopefully he gets the job and stays away from Bond!

#199 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:27 PM

I suppose Sam Mendes not returning may halt any upcoming announcements for Bond 24...

As it stands we have Daniel Craig and John Logan for Bond 24 & 25 and Production Designer Dennis Gassner (QOS & SF) on board for Bond 24

​and presumably or without a doubt; Ralph Fiennes , Naomie Harris, Ben Whishaw

possibly the return of Rory Kinnear, Jeffrey Wright and less likely Albert Finney, Helen McCrory?

Per Hallberg and Karen Baker who won an Oscar for Best Sound Editing?

Daniel Kleinman (GE-CR & SF) will probably do the title designs?

Seems like we have a choice already between two composers: Thomas Newman OR David Arnold

And Adele again if they have their way?

Hope its not long before we get some names and/or confirmations and news, I'm still crossing my fingers for an end year 2014 release. 

#200 jrcjohnny99

jrcjohnny99

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 10:12 PM

Just heard an interesting rumour out of the UK...

apparently Kenneth Branagh, who just wrapped the Jack Ryan movie, was in talks to direct the live action version of Cinderella...apparently he has ruled himself out of the Cinderella job....which makes me believe he may have another job lined up.....

Make of that what you will.

#201 TheManwiththeWaltherPPK

TheManwiththeWaltherPPK

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 147 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 10:43 PM

Please not Branagh.  Thor proved he has no idea what to do with a huge budget.  Also, I fear he is the type who would either treat Bond too seriously like Forster or not take Bond seriously enough like Tamahori.

#202 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 02:40 AM

Please not Branagh.  Thor proved he has no idea what to do with a huge budget.  Also, I fear he is the type who would either treat Bond too seriously like Forster or not take Bond seriously enough like Tamahori.

Thats how I feel too. Thor was awfully directed.

#203 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:43 PM

Direct me: James Bond

I must say I like most of these picks;

Matthew Vaughn (X-Men: First Class, Kick-Ass)

Jon Favreau (Iron Man, Cowboys & Aliens)

David Fincher (The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, Fight Club)
Christopher Nolan (The Dark Knight, Inception) 
I'd Add Kathryan Bigelow (Hurt Locker, Zero Dark Thirty) and that's my top 5 at the moment. 

#204 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:53 PM

Pretty dire choices. John Favreu? Seriously?

Might as well hire Brett Ratner.

#205 lechero

lechero

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 278 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:56 PM

I thought it was one of the more enjoyable Marvel films. Compared to S*** like Iron Man 2 or the god-awful Captain America it's almost pretty damn good.

#206 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:59 PM

Agreed. With Thor from he turned from Kenneth Branagh into Kenny Branagh.

#207 Eric Stromberg

Eric Stromberg

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 12:58 AM

Pretty dire choices. John Favreu? Seriously?

Might as well hire Brett Ratner.

Hah!  That got the old gin & tonic through the nostrils laugh.

These lists are getting tired.  I'm gonna have to go with...David Cronenberg and Daft Punk does the score.

#208 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 06:02 AM

Agreed. With Thor from he turned from Kenneth Branagh into Kenny Branagh.

I could imagine, however, that the final film is very much a product of the Marvel braintrust, guys who always were pretty hands-on (another reason why IRON MAN 2 was not good at all, and Favreau did not want to return after that). And since Branagh did not want to return for THOR 2 I also think that he just did not want to be second-guessed by Marvel at every turn again. 

Will be interesting to see how his JACK RYAN turns out.

Edited by SecretAgentFan, 19 March 2013 - 06:03 AM.

#209 Major Tallon

Major Tallon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2107 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 10:34 AM

Kenneth Branagh could be interesting.  I can hear Rosa Klebb saying, "Now is the winter of our discontent made glorious summer by this sun of SMERSH." 

#210 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 11:43 PM

Some SPECULATION on me part:

I was just reading an article about a director pulling out of a film on the first day of production. [1] Turns out that director 'Lynne Ramsay' is married to Rory Kinnear (Bill Tanner). It may hurt her career but perhaps shes already talked with EON... Haven't seen any of her films but could she be freeing up her schedule for Bond 24?