This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Deadline hints at new Mendes involvement for BOND 24

Empire: Its not Sam Mendes

404 replies to this topic

Poll: Who should direct Bond 24?

This is a public poll. Other members will be able to see which options you chose

Generally

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Specifically - for those who have already directed a Bond film

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Specifically - for those who haven't already directed a Bond film - multiple choices

Vote Guests cannot vote

#391 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 08:07 PM

EXCLUSIVE: Nicolas Winding Refn Could Be Directing the Next Bond

Please no.

#392 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 08:18 PM

Bear in mind, Refn has been attached to a fair number of projects, many of which did not take off up to now. I don't read this reaction as anything more than the usual stonewalling of the industry, signalling he's open for an approach but not actually confirming or denying anything. 

#393 seawolfnyy

seawolfnyy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 08:57 PM

I don't mind Wiseman (the Underworld films are crazy, stupid fun), but he isn't right for Bond. The last time they had a director with his type of credentials it nearly killed the franchise (I'm looking at you Lee Bleepin' Tamahori). I agree with tdalton's assertion that EON has had a taste of the Oscar vibe and now believes that these films can be taken as serious works of art and won't be looking back anytime soon. I also would've loved for Kate Beckinsale to have appeared in a Bond film...10 years ago. She will be 40 soon and 42 by the release of Bond 24 (if the film can still make it's November 2014 release). So as much as I would like to see her opposite 007, she is too old.

#394 Quantumofsolace007

Quantumofsolace007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3488 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 08:59 PM

What about Tony Gilroy?

#395 Agent 76

Agent 76

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7080 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 09:02 PM

What about Tony Gilroy?

I would be ok with that.

#396 Eric Stromberg

Eric Stromberg

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 09:30 PM

Yeah, I've considered Tony Gilroy as well.  I think he's got the right stuff and would potentially give us a lighter, more charming 007 film.

#397 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 09:42 PM

Mendes tapped to return reports deadline: http://www.deadline....ames-bond-film/

#398 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 09:44 PM

Let's hope that is true. Though I wouldn't mind Nicolas Winding Refn.

#399 seawolfnyy

seawolfnyy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 09:47 PM

Let's hope that is true. Though I wouldn't mind Nicolas Winding Refn.

It would be nice, however, it would all but kill any chance of the film landing before the end of 2015 though.

#400 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 10:07 PM

Which is why I'm torn, 50/50 on this (if it happens to be true.)

#401 Eric Stromberg

Eric Stromberg

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 12:24 AM

Which is why I'm torn, 50/50 on this (if it happens to be true.)

Same here.  Not just timing-wise but I'd kinda moved on from Mendes and was getting excited about some of the other directors being thrown around on this thread.  Still, I'd feel lucky getting him back.  50/50

#402 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 12:33 AM

New Deadline article. Mendes returning to the directors chair after all?

http://www.deadline....ames-bond-film/

#403 TheSilhouette

TheSilhouette

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 183 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 04:17 AM

I'm 100% fine with Mendes, he's one of my favorite directors of all time, but what I don't understand is why they don't go on with somebody else for Bond 24 and have him return for Bond 25 instead of putting the whole thing on hold for him.

Edited by TheSilhouette, 29 May 2013 - 04:18 AM.

#404 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 05:42 AM

Well, they obviously got no one who wanted to do it after SKYFALL. So the obvious reaction was: We have to offer Mendes even more money. Which worked for him.

Of course, as long as Mendes has not signed a contract, we should wait and see. But it seems likely that they will wait for him so he can start next year. 

But he surely won´t start shooting in January for a fall release date, right? He will probably start developing the script in 2014 and shoot maybe at the end of 14 for a 2015 release date. Another 3-year gap. Well, better than a 4-year gap.

It does make sense for Mendes to come back since he put the new M and Moneypenny into place. He probably had Logan write the new treatment. Very likely he will bring Roger Deakins and Thomas Newman back. Another dose of that would be welcome.

I just hope that Mendes will make BOND 24 as different from SKYFALL as possible. But since he does not like to repeat himself, that could be likely as well.

#405 RMc2

RMc2

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 01:55 PM

I'm still unsure what to believe until we've had an official statement.

Reasons to believe Mendes will return for Bond 24:

- Barbara Broccoli REALLY wants him back: she said so (rather maniacally)

- Mendes worked on the story with John Logan: Purvis & Wade said so

- They made Mendes a "very generous offer" (his words) back in March; more generosity could win him over

Reasons to doubt Mendes will return for Bond 24:

- MGM and Sony will want Bond 24 out as soon as possible - Mendes won't be available to deliver the film before a late 2015 or 2016 deadline

- Daniel Craig is a busy man too, and will soon be too old for this S***: the sooner he makes Bond 24, the better

- Michael G Wilson made it very clear he wants to go back to the 2-year-gap between films and make as many films with Craig as possible

Grey area:

- EON has almost total control over the Bond franchise; part of their deal with MGM/Sony, so they don't have to rush Bond 24 if they don't want to

- Craig is contracted for two more films, so EON don't have to worry too much about his ageing and busy-ness

- Sony's "within the next three years" statement on Bond 24's release date: deliberately too nebulous to factor as a positive or negative