This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Deadline hints at new Mendes involvement for BOND 24

Empire: Its not Sam Mendes

404 replies to this topic

Poll: Who should direct Bond 24?

This is a public poll. Other members will be able to see which options you chose

Generally

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Specifically - for those who have already directed a Bond film

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Specifically - for those who haven't already directed a Bond film - multiple choices

Vote Guests cannot vote

#151 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 04:46 AM

With INTERSTELLAR now moving for a release date in the summer of 2014 we can rule out Nolan effectively. 

Unless Sony would approve pushing Bond 24 into 2015.

If they did they would have gotten Sam Mendes to direct.

My choice would be Rupert Wyatt. Rise of the Planet of the Apes had everything going against it yet he turned it into one of the best films of 2011. It was well done, perfect for the direction the Bond films are going. He would do very well with the cast and Logan.

Along as he didn't bring Patrick Doyle along.

#152 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 04:51 AM

With INTERSTELLAR now moving for a release date in the summer of 2014 we can rule out Nolan effectively. 

My choice would be Rupert Wyatt. Rise of the Planet of the Apes had everything going against it yet he turned it into one of the best films of 2011. It was well done, perfect for the direction the Bond films are going. He would do very well with the cast and Logan.

I would prefer if both of them don't come anywhere near the franchise, Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes was such a terrible film. Hopefully Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes is better.

#153 THX-007

THX-007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 208 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 05:20 AM

While we're on the topic of directors, its interesting to note that back in the early 80s Steven Spielberg offered his services to direct a Bond film. Cubby told him 'no', whether because Spielberg's name as a director was too big or the lukewarm reception to 1941. Seemed like the producers wanted to avoid big name directors and try and keep it within the EON family (hiring Peter Hunt and John Glenn, former editors, to direct). I also don't know their stance on hiring non-UK directors. While Steven didn't get to a Bond film then he did go on to direct one of the greatest action films of all time, Raiders of the Lost Ark. And in an ironic twist the following Bond film Octopussy tried to copy the success of Raiders by having similar locales, just as Moonraker was capitalizing on the Star Wars fame. I kinda doubt Spielberg would want to do a Bond at this period in his career. But if there was one film in his filmography that is credibility for him doing a Bond film it would be Munich which not only stars Daniel but shows that Spielberg can make a dark, psychological spy film.

Edit: Another director who I don't think has been brought up is David Fincher.

Edited by THX-007, 10 March 2013 - 05:37 AM.

#154 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 05:24 AM

I would prefer if both of them don't come anywhere near the franchise, Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes was such a terrible film. Hopefully Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes is better.

Completely agreed.  If EON were forced to choose a director from the Planet of the Apes series, I'd rather they go with Matt Reeves, who is directing the upcoming Dawn of the Planet of the Apes.  That's not to say that Reeves would be on my shortlist, but he'd be a better choice.

#155 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 06:09 AM

Completely agreed.  If EON were forced to choose a director from the Planet of the Apes series, I'd rather they go with Matt Reeves, who is directing the upcoming Dawn of the Planet of the Apes.  That's not to say that Reeves would be on my shortlist, but he'd be a better choice.

Reeves is a much better story-teller and I wasn't looking forward to a sequel until I heard Reeves signed on to direct, and with the casting of Jason Clarke and Gary Oldman, now I'll be seeing it for sure.

#156 TheSilhouette

TheSilhouette

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 183 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 06:09 AM

While we're on the topic of directors, its interesting to note that back in the early 80s Steven Spielberg offered his services to direct a Bond film. Cubby told him 'no', whether because Spielberg's name as a director was too big or the lukewarm reception to 1941. Seemed like the producers wanted to avoid big name directors and try and keep it within the EON family (hiring Peter Hunt and John Glenn, former editors, to direct). I also don't know their stance on hiring non-UK directors. While Steven didn't get to a Bond film then he did go on to direct one of the greatest action films of all time, Raiders of the Lost Ark. And in an ironic twist the following Bond film Octopussy tried to copy the success of Raiders by having similar locales, just as Moonraker was capitalizing on the Star Wars fame. I kinda doubt Spielberg would want to do a Bond at this period in his career. But if there was one film in his filmography that is credibility for him doing a Bond film it would be Munich which not only stars Daniel but shows that Spielberg can make a dark, psychological spy film.

I wouldn't be opposed to Spielberg, although I agree that I'm not sure if he'd be interested at this point, but then on the other hand as long as Daniel is starring and the films continue to take themselves seriously, I think we may be surprised who could be interested. 

#157 bill007

bill007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2072 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 07:00 AM

Steven Spielberg?  No way.  A U.K. or Euro director, if you please.

#158 THX-007

THX-007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 208 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 08:35 AM

Steven Spielberg?  No way.  A U.K. or Euro director, if you please.

Why? I don't see why the director's chair needs to be limited to just UK/Europe directors. Do you think if an American (or any other nationality for that matter) directs Bond it won't be British anymore? Strange considering EON was founded by and the Bond series was produced by an American and Canadian.

#159 TheSilhouette

TheSilhouette

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 183 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 09:01 AM

I don't see the UK/Europe rule holding up much longer. As long as the director understands what Bond is all about then it shouldn't matter. There's no sense in considerably shrinking the talent pool for the sake of nationality, and I hope Barbara and Michael are wise enough to recognize that.

#160 quantumofsolace

quantumofsolace

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1563 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 07:10 PM

http://www.filmoria....ames-bond-film/

#161 rubixcub

rubixcub

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 07:41 PM

Source?

Martin Campbell would be a safe bet but has stated he wouldn't return.

#162 007jamesbond

007jamesbond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1371 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 08:02 PM

Martin Campbell won't come back..........new director would be nice 

#163 Sir Godfrey

Sir Godfrey

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 154 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 08:39 PM

what about Brian de Palma ?

#164 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 08:45 PM

Source?

Martin Campbell would be a safe bet but has stated he wouldn't return.

Sorry, I thought that was common knowledge. Just google it if your interested. I believe it was at the end of a GREEN LANTERN interview that he said he would not return to direct a Bond film because he has done everything he can with Bond or something along those lines.

#165 Professor Pi

Professor Pi

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1430 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 08:52 PM

Most of the former Bond directors are pushing or have pushed past 70.  The exceptions are Mendes, Forster, and Tamahori.  Mendes declined and no one is clamoring for the other two to direct Bond again.  The producers have tended toward Academy nominated directors of late, and not necessarily with action movie experience.  Nor do they gravitate toward big name directors.  So I think we'll see someone new behind the camera.

#166 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 09:38 PM

I mentioned that I wouldn't mind seeing Mendes take on The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo sequels and Fincher directing a Bond film. I don't know what happened to the 'Who should direct Bond 24' thread but there were a lot of Fincher supporters in there. 

Who voted for Robert Mugabe. LOL 

#167 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 09:46 PM

Best suggestion I've heard. Would never happen though, sadly.

#168 TheManwiththeWaltherPPK

TheManwiththeWaltherPPK

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 147 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:23 AM

We need someone like Mendes who is a fan of both Fleming and the films and who is also intelligent and savvy enough to maintain the correct balance between seriousness and camp.  Someone who can give us depth but doesn't want to take the fun out of Bond  too much.  Listening to Mendes' commentary on Skyfall really made me  appreciate how much of what was done right in my opinion in that movie had to do with his input.  (Eg. the helicopter being in the finale but there being character reasons for its inclusion - the music and Silva directing it casually like a pet T-rex to attack Bond)

Edited by TheManwiththeWaltherPPK, 11 March 2013 - 12:24 AM.

#169 jrcjohnny99

jrcjohnny99

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:30 AM

I don't see the UK/Europe rule holding up much longer. As long as the director understands what Bond is all about then it shouldn't matter. There's no sense in considerably shrinking the talent pool for the sake of nationality, and I hope Barbara and Michael are wise enough to recognize that.

You're probably right...but it's pretty notable that when they have gone outside the UK, the results have been less than desired....

#170 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:47 AM

We need someone like Mendes who is a fan of both Fleming and the films and who is also intelligent and savvy enough to maintain the correct balance between seriousness and camp.  Someone who can give us depth but doesn't want to take the fun out of Bond  too much.  Listening to Mendes' commentary on Skyfall really made me  appreciate how much of what was done right in my opinion in that movie had to do with his input.  (Eg. the helicopter being in the finale but there being character reasons for its inclusion - the music and Silva directing it casually like a pet T-rex to attack Bond)

Very well said. We don't need another Forster. Art house flavour of the month who's not a fan of Bond, hasn't read any Fleming, and compares directing under the guidance of EON to working under a totalitarian regime.

#171 JohnnyWalker

JohnnyWalker

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 272 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 01:28 PM

The frustrating thing is an apparent lack of cool non American directors, if we're making a list for Mission Impossible I can name quite a few I'd love to see involved (Rian Johnson, Kathryn Bigelow, David O Russell, Ben Affleck) but for Bond there's such a limited list of viable directors. I partially blame the British film industry. 

#172 Iceskater101

Iceskater101

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2398 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 02:39 PM

Ben Affleck for a Bond movie.. I wouldn't mind that

#173 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 03:56 PM

Best suggestion I've heard. Would never happen though, sadly.

Indeed an intriguing thought. The suspense sequences would be enormously entertaining.

#174 PPK_19

PPK_19

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1312 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 06:12 PM

Bond 24 will be directed by Joe Wright.

#175 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 06:16 PM

Sounds good. Source?

#176 PPK_19

PPK_19

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1312 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 06:23 PM

Sounds good. Source?

Wishful thinking! 

I was listening to the Empire podcast this morning and they were talking about it. I've seen Hanna and Atonement, and I liked the style of them both.

I think he'd do a great job, and is more likely a candidate than my first choice, Kathryn Bigelow.

#177 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 06:49 PM

Interesting. I haven't seen any films of his apart from Atonement, but I've heard he's pretty average. 

Edited by DamnCoffee, 11 March 2013 - 06:50 PM.

#178 Bucky

Bucky

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1031 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 07:28 PM

Joe Wright, Matthew Vaughn, or Martin McDonagh

#179 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 07:44 PM

If we could come up with 10 or 20 directors perhaps the MODS could do another poll although I understand may be tough to decide who would be on it. 

J.J. ABRAMS was on one of the lists of possible Bond directors but I don't see it happening anytime soon. [1]

GUY RITCHIE I seen was given 4/1 odds to direct Bond 24 [2] I haven't seen anything by him though.

BEN AFFLECK and RALPH RIENNES would other shadow things a little I feel because they are also actors, I wouldn't rule them out in the future though.

BRIAN DE PALMA is 72 so I think we can count him out, but interesting choice. 

JOE WRIGHT haven't seen anything by him.

BRAD BIRD I don't see why he is not directing MIV but I would rule him out because of Ghost Protocol. Although I said the same thing about JJ Abrams and Star Wars. 

MATTHEW VAUGHAN I thought First Class was great but that's it. 

DANNY BOYLE everything of his that I have seen I enjoyed, Trainspotting, Sunshine and Slumdog Millionaire

TOMAS ALFREDSON I don't remember really liking Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy although I was a little distracted watching it. Should give it another go. 

MARTIN MCDONAGH I've only seen In Bruges and don't remember thinking it was anything special. 

I really like;

KATHRYN BIGELOW but she is also old which means she may not be directing more.

CHRISTOPER NOLAN not right now but in a few years. 

MARTIN CAMBPELL I know he stated that he would not return but I would give him one more chance to changed his mind. 

#180 PPK_19

PPK_19

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1312 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:35 PM

I heard he's pretty average. 

Watch The Soloist (Robert Downey Jr, Jamie Foxx) and Hanna (Saoirse Ronan and Eric Bana) and you'll change your mind.