127 replies to this topic

#61 Satorious

Satorious

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 470 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 04:52 PM

Interesting. The opening ending tracks are Newman-y, and to be perfectly blunt - I can take or leave them (as stand-alone cues, so let's see how they work out in the film). The standard percussive arp/sound library stuff you find in most crime-dramas/action films. But the middle track is where it is at - Severine - very nice indeed!!! (couple more listens). Scrub that, I'm now totally in love with it! The third part is growing on me a bit. First part, still not fussed. But I'd take this over Arnold's stuff for the Severine track stuff right now!

Edited by Satorious, 09 October 2012 - 05:05 PM.

#62 TheSilhouette

TheSilhouette

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 183 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 06:08 PM

New Digs is my favorite of the three. I can just imagine the scene. Bond being briefed during a drive through the rainy London streets, into the underground tunnel and then at 1:50 that shot in the new TV Spot where Bond walks in and sees the new MI6 for the first time.

Edited by TheSilhouette, 09 October 2012 - 06:11 PM.

#63 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 06:25 PM

Hmmm. Still hoping that the "iFly"-track will be on the CD as well (and written by Newman as well). So far, it´s a bit too much sound design and background droning for me, with the typical Newman harmonies. But I´ll reserve any real judgement for later.

#64 Satorious

Satorious

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 470 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 07:09 PM

I still don't think that iFly track is part of the soundtrack... but I wouldn't be upset if it was!

#65 MattofSteel

MattofSteel

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2482 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 07:23 PM

I like the Newman samples, but frankly, I like iFly more. Hoping it ends up being legit, though it probably won't.

#66 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 07:54 PM

I'm sure it will be.

It's sounds too legit to not be.

Edited by x007AceOfSpades, 09 October 2012 - 08:10 PM.

#67 Satorious

Satorious

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 470 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 08:08 PM

I thought it sounded rather different personally (and like it was composed with admittedly nice sounding midi samples libraries), but I'm happy to be proven otherwise...

#68 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 10:24 PM

I like the Newman samples, but frankly, I like iFly more. Hoping it ends up being legit, though it probably won't.

From what I've heard, the Turkey video blog snippet sounds the most like Newman's SKYFALL. Could have been a mock-up, maybe combined with prelaid guitars and synths.

#69 MattofSteel

MattofSteel

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2482 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 10:30 PM

That Turkey blog (is that something from Thanksgiving dinner that I missed?) sound was far too simplistic and generic, IMO. I highly doubt that's Newman's score.

#70 TheSilhouette

TheSilhouette

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 183 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 10:52 PM

That Turkey blog (is that something from Thanksgiving dinner that I missed?) sound was far too simplistic and generic, IMO. I highly doubt that's Newman's score.

I don't mean this as an insult to Newman (it's actually more of a compliment). but alot of his work is pretty simplistic and maybe some might say "generic." He writes alot of tracks that are very subdued and subtly compliment what's on screen in the background. It's very different from Arnold's approach which is more bombastic and "in your face", once again not negative, it's just a difference in style. Newman's scores don't really draw attention to themself (most of the time), but they work really well when accompanying the scene.

Edited by TheSilhouette, 09 October 2012 - 10:52 PM.

#71 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 10:53 PM

That's the thing I don't like about Arnold's work, he tries to make it like you said "In your face". I'm just excited to see Skyfall with Newmans score accompanying it on November 9th!

#72 MattofSteel

MattofSteel

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2482 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 11:42 PM

That's what I like about Arnold's work. Bond music, at it best, was never subtle. It almost competes with the imagery for attention. There's nothing better than the scores for Goldfinger and On Her Majesty's Secret Service, IMO. Newman writes beautiful music, but it takes the philosophy of "complimentary" to an extreme. For my money, appropriate Bond music more about creating sonic depth and ambience than pushing a narrative.

Then again, the train/digger clip is more than appropriate in all those regards, so what do I know.

One could also make the argument - as I have many times - that the music must fit the film, first and foremost. So if Newman is appropriate for Skyfall, then hey, I suppose Newman music will work with Skyfall.

#73 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 11:55 PM

On the subject of understatement, Newman says:

"I guess one of the things that concerns me and interests me about music for film is why is music there in the first place? And if it is there, why is it saying something? And I guess the obvious reason is because sometimes a scene can be emotionally blank and therefore needs filling in. At the same time there's such nuance, particularly in modern movies, of actor's performance that I just never want to to clobber that."

"As a composer, you think you have to write something because there you writing it. Here you are at your studio and here's a moment in the film. 'Well gee, I've got to write something her' as opposed to saying , 'Well gee, what if I leave it alone, and I don't do anything, and put a 4 beat pause in the music? So that rather than turning the corner in a compositional sense you're allowing the visual to turn a corner, or the dramatic thing to turn a corner, and you're catching it on the other side. I think you learn that the older you get."

"I want to assume that I'm not there to tell the audience what's happening so much as underline and deepen an experience, often by subtext as opposed to parallel comment."

From the 2nd edition of On the Track: A Guide to Contemporary Film Scoring by Fred Karlin and Rayburn Wright.

That's what I like about Arnold's work. Bond music, at it best, was never subtle. It almost competes with the imagery for attention. There's nothing better than the scores for Goldfinger and On Her Majesty's Secret Service, IMO.

Listen to Teasing the Korean (minus the Mickey Mousing at the end) and The Laser from GF or Over And Out and Bond Settles In from OHMSS, and you'll hear restrained, light, sparsely orchestrated, and understated music scoring the subtext of their respective scenes.

#74 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 11:56 PM

You don't need loud "in your face" music score to help move the scene(s) forward. I like what I've heard so far from Newman. It's cool you like Arnold's approach to scoring, and hey that's cool, we all have opinions :)

An example of loud "in your face" score is Hans Zimmer's work on 'The Dark Knight Rises' There seriously was not a moment of not music score it felt for me with the film. Maybe it was different because it didn't have usage of James Newton Howard in the score, but I felt the score unnecessarily loud and overpowering.

#75 MattofSteel

MattofSteel

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2482 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 02:04 AM

On the subject of understatement, Newman says:

"I guess one of the things that concerns me and interests me about music for film is why is music there in the first place? And if it is there, why is it saying something? And I guess the obvious reason is because sometimes a scene can be emotionally blank and therefore needs filling in. At the same time there's such nuance, particularly in modern movies, of actor's performance that I just never want to to clobber that."

"As a composer, you think you have to write something because there you writing it. Here you are at your studio and here's a moment in the film. 'Well gee, I've got to write something her' as opposed to saying , 'Well gee, what if I leave it alone, and I don't do anything, and put a 4 beat pause in the music? So that rather than turning the corner in a compositional sense you're allowing the visual to turn a corner, or the dramatic thing to turn a corner, and you're catching it on the other side. I think you learn that the older you get."

"I want to assume that I'm not there to tell the audience what's happening so much as underline and deepen an experience, often by subtext as opposed to parallel comment."

From the 2nd edition of On the Track: A Guide to Contemporary Film Scoring by Fred Karlin and Rayburn Wright.

That's what I like about Arnold's work. Bond music, at it best, was never subtle. It almost competes with the imagery for attention. There's nothing better than the scores for Goldfinger and On Her Majesty's Secret Service, IMO.

Listen to Teasing the Korean (minus the Mickey Mousing at the end) and The Laser from GF or Over And Out and Bond Settles In from OHMSS, and you'll hear restrained, light, sparsely orchestrated, and understated music scoring the subtext of their respective scenes.

A - That's an apt illustration of his perspective by the man himself. His philosophy is clearly reflected in all his music, so there's no confusion there. Except maybe on his part - if he's so doubtful as to what purpose film music serves, why does he write it for a living? ;)

B - I love all those tracks, but they're not really examples coincident to Newman. They may be ambient and they may be supportive, but there's still something distinctive, structured, and melodic about them. They're noticeable. They aren't just noise. I guess that's a subjective evaluation of Newman on my part, though, if I'm asserting his ambient stuff isn't really as pleasurable to listen to as Barry's.

#76 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 03:19 AM

I'm quite interested in what the final track 30. "Adrenaline" could pertain to in the film.

#77 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 03:39 AM

A - That's an apt illustration of his perspective by the man himself. His philosophy is clearly reflected in all his music, so there's no confusion there. Except maybe on his part - if he's so doubtful as to what purpose film music serves, why does he write it for a living? ;)

Because he enjoys it? :P

#78 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:56 AM

I guess Brave New World could actually be the final track of the movie, based on the little we know about those final two scenes.

Having heard the track samples, I humbly withdraw this suggestion. It wouldn't fit.

#79 Royal Dalton

Royal Dalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4542 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:06 AM

I'm quite interested in what the final track 30. "Adrenaline" could pertain to in the film.

I expect it's from the Whitehall attack. In an emergency situation adrenaline takes over. Mallory leaping into action, etc.

#80 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:08 AM

I expect it's from the Whitehall attack. In an emergency situation adrenaline takes over. Mallory leaping into action, etc.

It's an odd track to finish on really. It's got a very distinctive Eastern swagger to it, so I reckon it must be from a scene in Turkey or China, rather than Whitehall.

#81 Royal Dalton

Royal Dalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4542 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:46 AM

Yeah, I've listened to the samples now. It sounds more like it's from the Turkish sequence.

I think "Brave New World" could be from the Dead City scenes.

"Komodo Dragon" sounds really good.

"Deep Water" sounds like it contains snatches of the title song music.

#82 Shrublands

Shrublands

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 12:16 PM

It's an odd track to finish on really. It's got a very distinctive Eastern swagger to it, so I reckon it must be from a scene in Turkey or China, rather than Whitehall.

It could well be the scorpion scene.

#83 Royal Dalton

Royal Dalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4542 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 12:55 PM

It could be anything, really. It's quite a long cue altogether (02:18).

I don't think "Breadcrumbs" is the gunbarrel music, as suggested in the other thread. The Bond theme is too short. I think that's more likely to be Bond laying a trail for Silva later in the film. Possibly from the scene where they collect the Aston Martin.

#84 Shrublands

Shrublands

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 01:08 PM

I don't think "Breadcrumbs" is the gunbarrel music, as suggested in the other thread. The Bond theme is too short.

But doesn't this sample start after the beginning of "Breadcrumbs"?

#85 Royal Dalton

Royal Dalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4542 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 01:19 PM

Yeah, but it still doesn't sit right for me, with that "twang" ending.

#86 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 03:47 PM

Breadcrumbs could be the 'Bond reveal' in the PTS?

#87 Pussfeller

Pussfeller

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4089 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 04:25 PM

I still wonder if there's any chance that the 007 Theme will appear in the soundtrack.

#88 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 06:14 PM

Probably from a line of dialogue about clues to the missing drive.

#89 Shrublands

Shrublands

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 06:59 PM

Probably from a line of dialogue about clues to the missing drive.

Yep, I’d say the MI6 agent Ronson has left a deliberate trail so that Bond can find him, and subsequently the computer with the data, together with those who are trying to acquire it.

Deep cover perhaps.

#90 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 07:53 AM

I believe you're right about that. Thanks!