Where do you want Bond to visit next?

62 replies to this topic

#1 sagart

sagart

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 53 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 09:41 PM

Our boy James has got around over his 50 years on screen but where hasn't he been and where, on that list, would you like him to go? Being Irish, I want a scene in the next movie to be filmed in the Emerald Isle. Bond in Dublin? In Belfast? I'd love to see him fishing on the lakes of Fermanagh because they're about a mie from my house!!
Where would you like to see 007 go, somewhere he hasn't been?

#2 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 09:46 PM

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

#3 Pussfeller

Pussfeller

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4089 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 09:56 PM

It's strange that he hasn't been to Ireland yet. There are loads of places I'd like to see Bond visit.

Australia
Mexico
Saudi Arabia
Quebec
Finland
Georgia
Ethiopia
Argentina
Indonesia
Algeria
Burma
Crimea
Nigeria
Iran
South Africa

#4 sagart

sagart

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 53 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 10:01 PM

Wasn't he in Rio in Moonraker?

#5 quantumofsolace

quantumofsolace

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1563 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 10:16 PM

Norway

#6 SkyfallCraig

SkyfallCraig

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 162 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 10:29 PM

Rome!

#7 Pam Bouvier

Pam Bouvier

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 03:32 AM

Stockton.

Bond has been to California before, but never to the central valley and God knows we could use a hero out here right now.

But if Stockton doesn't proof to be glamous enough for 007, I agree. Ireland could make for an interesting location for a Bond film.

#8 Syndicate

Syndicate

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 04:33 AM

These are places I want Bond to visit

Nepal
Arabian Peninsula (AKA Arabia)
Tunisia
Australia
Saudi Arabia
United Arab Emirates
Iran
Georgia
Bosnia
Taiwan
Minsk

Edited by Syndicate, 09 September 2012 - 07:15 PM.

#9 seawolfnyy

seawolfnyy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 05:24 AM

Australia and Vancouver

#10 Nicolas Suszczyk

Nicolas Suszczyk

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3735 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 07:16 PM

It's strange that he hasn't been to Ireland yet. There are loads of places I'd like to see Bond visit.
(...)
Argentina

But of course! ;)

#11 OmarB

OmarB

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1151 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 09:44 PM

He should go home to Jamaica. It's been a while and with this focus on England I think an important part of Jame's background is going ignored.

#12 Messervy

Messervy

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1369 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 11:46 AM

I guess it all depends on the plot at hand, obviously.
But, as such, I'd like to see Bond either in fancy locations almost unknow to us as yet (i.e Phuket, which wasn't that famous at that time), or in european capital cities such as Moscow, Rome, Paris or Berlin.

#13 Miles Miservy

Miles Miservy

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 03:22 PM

He should go home to Jamaica. It's been a while and with this focus on England I think an important part of Jame's background is going ignored.

No, Jamaica's played out. That's why the fictional country of San Monique was created for LALD. Anything having to do w/the Carribean or palmtrees is just cliche by this point. Here's what I suggest:

As it's been suggested in both TB & QOS, I'd like to see Bond take his adventures into Canada. Michael Wilson ALWAYS had Bond interact with the famous landmarks of the world (Egyptian pyramids in TSWLM; Sugarloaf Mountain in MR; Eiffel Tower & Golden Gate Bridge in AVTAK; Rock of Gibraltar in TLD...) How cool would it be for OO7 to egage his nemeses at the CT Tower in Toronto or at Niagra Falls? Even as a pre-title sequence, I'm liking the possibilities.

Edited by Miles Miservy, 11 September 2012 - 01:03 PM.

#14 sagart

sagart

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 53 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 04:48 PM

What about Bond in the White House? After all, he's been in Buckingham Palace.

#15 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 05:36 PM

Where I'd most like to see Bond travel in Bond 24 is anywhere that is a cold-weather, snowy locale. Craig's Bond has been operating exclusively in warm weather environments (excluding the short scene at the end of Quantum of Solace) and it'd be nice to have that variety back in the series again.

With that said, I think the two biggest remaining places for Bond to travel would be, as others have already suggested, Canada and Australia. I certainly wouldn't mind seeing Bond travel to Rio de Janeiro again either.

Edited by tdalton, 10 September 2012 - 05:37 PM.

#16 Pussfeller

Pussfeller

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4089 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 05:56 PM

Australia (or Australasia in general, including NZ, New Guinea, etc) is such an obvious choice, it's amazing that it hasn't been used yet. It's almost as if they're avoiding it deliberately, but I can't imagine why they would. I'd like a Bond film that ranges over the southern hemisphere, taking in Australia, NZ, and perhaps Patagonia and the Antarctic. A British agent could justifiably be present in a lot of these places (as opposed to, say, Louisiana, North Korea, and outer space).

#17 elizabeth

elizabeth

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2285 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 06:20 PM

Hasn't been to Antarctica yet, has he? Maybe that was the opening sequence in FYEO...Canada? Do states that he hasn't visited yet count? If so, I want him to visit one of my two New England homes, Massachusetts or New Hampshire! Bomb threat at Gillette Stadium while the Patriots play the Jets and the villain is Tim Tebow! Or, better yet, bomb threat at Fenway while the Sox play the Yankees and the villain is the entire Yanks roster! :P

But seriously, I would like to see him in MA or NH, if states count here.

#18 Syndicate

Syndicate

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 06:44 PM

IF it returning to places he been to before, then I like to see him go to any of these places. That depending on what is the storyline.

Monte Carlo

Macau

Afghanistan

Kazakhstan

Hong Kong

Hamburg

But if it all new places, then it what I have listed on my pervious post. Unless Barbara and Michael want a mix of new and pervious visted place.

#19 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 10:19 PM

He can go anywhere he wants Except Australia and back to N. America.

American Bond has never really played out well, and I fear Australian Bond would be an even worse example of those films.

I could put into words my reasoning but I fear the reaction would be one of, 'You pommey poofter, you should accept single vowel words being made into triphthongs.'

Well, it would probably just be the first half of that sentence.

#20 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 10 September 2012 - 10:59 PM

I don't think we can just send Bond off to some place he hasn't yet been to just because he hasn't yet been there. Locations have to be relevant to the story. That said, I do find it odd that an awful lot of the globe has been unused in the Bond series, so far, and yet there are certain locations he keeps going back to. He's done Venice three times, and it will be third time around for Istanbul in Skyfall. I've nothing against either city, but I can't help but think that sending Bond back into familiar territory indicates a certain lack of imagination on the part of the screenwriters.

#21 lazenbyland

lazenbyland

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 199 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 10:59 PM

Iceland...but done properly unlike DAD.

There have been great adventure novels set in Iceland and it has absolutely spectacular scenery.

#22 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 11:13 PM

South Africa.

#23 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 09:49 AM

I've nothing against either city, but I can't help but think that sending Bond back into familiar territory indicates a certain lack of imagination on the part of the screenwriters.

That's an interesting thought, but perhaps location in terms of 'places we might not have seen' is now just so wholly unimportant to an audience that has a) already travelled and B) seen the rest on TV/Internet.

The exotic location of old is now just a location.

So unless a story can reasonably take him to Bali, we don't go to Bali. Also not sure if there is an entire percentage of the world where shooting is either not permmited or prohibitively expensive.

#24 Pussfeller

Pussfeller

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4089 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 12:02 PM

Lately I've been thinking that we're due for a return to Russia and the Russian sphere of influence. TWINE was vaguely set in that part of the world and populated with vaguely Russian characters, but as Xenia would say, "it's very different now". Both GE and TWINE operate under that rosy Yeltsin-era perception of Russia as a bleak but basically harmless backwater which wants nothing more than to be invited into the western world. Ordinary Russians are cocky freebooters with no fear of their government (i.e. Boris, Orumov, Davidov, Zukovsky), and representatives of the government are clueless and ineffectual (Minister Mishkin, Colonel Akakievich). Today, that's not how western audiences perceive Russia. Far from being a power vacuum, it's once more big, scary, and independent-minded. It invades places and throws its weight around. Dissenters and scofflaws are thrown in prison. The government is ruthless and competent. The image of the country has changed so completely since the Brosnan era that Bond could visit Russia and get involved in a Russian-oriented plot without it seeming to be either a throwback or retread.

#25 Miles Miservy

Miles Miservy

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 01:08 PM

He can go anywhere he wants Except Australia and back to N. America.

American Bond has never really played out well, and I fear Australian Bond would be an even worse example of those films.

I could put into words my reasoning why but I fear the reaction would be one of, 'You pommey poofter, you should accept single vowel words being made into triphthongs.'

Well, it would probably just be first half of that sentence.

I agree about Australia. Who'd be his local ally? Crocodile Dundee? Max Rocktansky? Oh please!!!

Iceland...but done properly unlike DAD.

There have been great adventure novels set in Iceland and it has absolutely spectacular scenery.

Iceland was about as thrilling as, oh I don't know... Vermont.

Edited by Miles Miservy, 11 September 2012 - 01:08 PM.

#26 OmarB

OmarB

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1151 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 02:51 PM

No, Jamaica's played out. That's why the fictional country of San Monique was created for LALD. Anything having to do w/the Carribean or palmtrees is just cliche by this point. Here's what I suggest:

As it's been suggested in both TB & QOS, I'd like to see Bond take his adventures into Canada. Michael Wilson ALWAYS had Bond interact with the famous landmarks of the world (Egyptian pyramids in TSWLM; Sugarloaf Mountain in MR; Eiffel Tower & Golden Gate Bridge in AVTAK; Rock of Gibraltar in TLD...) How cool would it be for OO7 to egage his nemeses at the CT Tower in Toronto or at Niagra Falls? Even as a pre-title sequence, I'm liking the possibilities.

I disagree. A country cannot be "played out" as you put it. Least of all my home country being played out as you put it. In the James Bond pantheon I put Jamaica right there just after England in terms of importance. The Caribbean and palm trees can never be cliched. He returns to the area every few books or movies. Besides, he was stationed at Station J (in Jamaica for years before his double 00, he has an intimate tie to the area).

#27 Miles Miservy

Miles Miservy

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 03:41 PM

I disagree. A country cannot be "played out" as you put it. Least of all my home country being played out as you put it. In the James Bond pantheon I put Jamaica right there just after England in terms of importance. The Caribbean and palm trees can never be cliched. He returns to the area every few books or movies. Besides, he was stationed at Station J (in Jamaica for years before his double 00, he has an intimate tie to the area).

I certainly didn't mean to offend. I just feel that, like Italy, like Switzerland, like The United States, there's a certain sense of "Been there... done that" with Carribean locations. I always enjoy seeing OO7 in places he's never been before.

#28 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 06:21 PM

Always the danger when saying where Not send James; which is why I offered the standard rebuke above in my post. Saves energy on the part of the eternally offended.

'Wot, you have a thing against Didcot? People 'ave bin nutted fuh less.'

(Didcot is not my home town)

#29 seawolfnyy

seawolfnyy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 10:41 PM

No location has been "played out." Jamaica hasn't featured since 1973 and as far the U.S. is not at all played out. Bond's never been to Hawaii, Alaska, Colorado, Los Angeles, Chicago, the Great Plains etc. Skyfall is #23 and its only the fourth time that the far east has been featured in a Bond film. I think in 2012 there really aren't any more "exotic" locales, maybe just iconic or scenic ones. Personally, the location should only feature if it plays into the story. At times, it seems like in the past that certain locations were picked and then the scene written (i.e. the Eiffel Tower scene in AVTAK). That said, I still like the idea of Bond going to Canada or Australia. I think revisiting New Orleans post-Katrina could be interesting too. Especially with the irony that in Everything or Nothing, Bond prevented the city from being flooded a year before Katrina.

#30 OmarB

OmarB

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1151 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 03:20 PM

I certainly didn't mean to offend. I just feel that, like Italy, like Switzerland, like The United States, there's a certain sense of "Been there... done that" with Carribean locations. I always enjoy seeing OO7 in places he's never been before.

Apology accepted. But as far as I am concerned, like England, Jamaica does have a special place in the Bond pantheon. Where were the books written, where did the author live and die, Ian Fleming was not only an author but a well known local beloved by everyone. Heck, we started having James Bond Festivals every year at Goldeneye long before the rest of the world did (a year after Ian's death). Bond goes to England, Jamaica, Russia, you can't take those away and he's gonna get back to those spots every now and then to me.

Wanna see the Bond movies without the crazy overdubbing? Watch them in Jamaica.