61 replies to this topic

#1 Syndicate

Syndicate

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 01:49 AM

So now Chris Pine playing Jack Ryan in the upcoming movie that is NOT based on any novel. Only that it is created by Tom Clancy.

What the heck is going on with this Jack Ryan movie. Are they going to follow how Tom Clancy created Jack Ryan anymore? What is this Jack Ryan a CIA Analyst, a regular CIA Operation Officer, a CIA Operation Officer in Special Activities Division like Tom Clancy's John Clark, who is Jack Ryan's good friend later on in his career or Jack Ryan is now a Super Spy like James Bond, The Man Fropm Uncle, Nick Fury and Ethan Hunt, which mean it is not even close to the real world type say anymore? So we might have to forget the mix of drama and suspense, the close to the real world type spy movies always have. Does Tom Clancy have anything to say about this, this time around? Does Clancy even care at all or he is staying away from it? Is Paramount Pictures keeping Tom Clancy away from it, so he can NOT say anything or get piss off. Even maybe bring them to court IF Clancy see the need.

Edited by Syndicate, 04 September 2012 - 03:34 AM.

#2 killkenny kid

killkenny kid

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6607 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 01:54 AM

http://www.comingsoo...ws.php?id=94289

#3 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 02:35 AM

Tom Clancy is one of my favorite authors, and I've loved all the big-screen adaptions of his Jack Ryan novels. I may pass on this one though.

#4 OmarB

OmarB

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1151 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 02:38 AM

I'll watch it because I'll watch anything with that Clancy name.,

#5 Chief of SIS

Chief of SIS

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 03:21 AM

Too early to tell.

#6 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 09:42 AM

It's not called 'Jack Ryan' is it?

#7 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 10:43 AM

I wouldn't like the title Jack Ryan it must be a working title unless maybe, is it a origin story?
I'm glad to see the series is back but not to base them of the books seems a little strange doesn't it?

#8 Single-O-Seven

Single-O-Seven

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1323 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 10:54 AM

It's not called 'Jack Ryan' is it?

Indeed, so far at least, it is. Previously t was to be called Moscow, and yes it's an origin story not based on anything from Clancy, though I'm not sure if there will be elements taken from Clancy in there. I wonder if they will reference the events of Patriot Games, or adapt it later. It was obviously a huge point in Ryan's life.

I would have liked to see Red Rabbit on the screen as an origin story, as I enjoyed Clancy most when he got into espionage fieldwork and not just the military stuff. Cardinal was always my favorite though.

#9 Miles Miservy

Miles Miservy

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 02:47 PM

Years ago, there was mention of a deal in which a film adaptation of WITHOUT REMORSE would be made. It's worth mentioning it's a John Clark story & not a Jack Ryan story (although he's breifly mentioned in the days before his military service). But alas, it never came to fruition and that's a shame because it was one of my favorite of Clancy's novels.

I cannot think of any reason to create an entire screenplay based around just a character. There's so much uncharted material in Clancy's world of Jack Ryan to choose from. I think the world is quite more than ready for the adventures up to & including DEBT OF HONOR & EXECUTIVE ORDERS, two books that depict Dr. Ryan's ascension into the Oval Office. The books devoted to RAINBOW SIX also offer a gallant glimpse into both intriguing characters. I'm somewhat gaurded by this notion, however. THE SUM OF ALL FEARS was, by far, my most favorite of Jack Ryan stories and the tangent the screenwriters took with it was so far off center, it hadn't even been recognizable. Tom Clancy credits himself in the audio commentary as, "The author of the book that was ingored".

I know some may argue about the creative license filmmakers had taken with Fleming's novels but at the very least, in the beginning, shadows of of the original books echo somewhat, in the movies, until of course most of Fleming's works were used up.

#10 DR76

DR76

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1673 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 05:25 PM

I won't pass judgment on this film until I either learn about the plot or see the movie.

I know some may argue about the creative license filmmakers had taken with Fleming's novels but at the very least, in the beginning, shadows of of the original books echo somewhat, in the movies, until of course most of Fleming's works were used up.

Frankly, I never had a high opinion of Fleming's novels. Even his best novels had some serious flaws.

#11 SteveBolton

SteveBolton

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 43 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 05:44 PM

I really enjoyed The sum of all fears, and i was a little disappointed they didn't carry on, but i'm sure Chris Pine will do a good job and revitalize the franchise.

#12 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 06:08 PM

Posted Image

Kevin Coster should make this film worth seeing.

I wonder if they have Chris Pine signed for any sequels.

I really enjoyed The sum of all fears, and i was a little disappointed they didn't carry on, but i'm sure Chris Pine will do a good job and revitalize the franchise.

I liked 'The Sum Of All Fears' too, would have liked at least one more after that.

#13 OmarB

OmarB

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1151 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 06:13 PM

Years ago, there was mention of a deal in which a film adaptation of WITHOUT REMORSE would be made. It's worth mentioning it's a John Clark story & not a Jack Ryan story (although he's breifly mentioned in the days before his military service). But alas, it never came to fruition and that's a shame because it was one of my favorite of Clancy's novels.

I cannot think of any reason to create an entire screenplay based around just a character. There's so much uncharted material in Clancy's world of Jack Ryan to choose from. I think the world is quite more than ready for the adventures up to & including DEBT OF HONOR & EXECUTIVE ORDERS, two books that depict Dr. Ryan's ascension into the Oval Office. The books devoted to RAINBOW SIX also offer a gallant glimpse into both intriguing characters. I'm somewhat gaurded by this notion, however. THE SUM OF ALL FEARS was, by far, my most favorite of Jack Ryan stories and the tangent the screenwriters took with it was so far off center, it hadn't even been recognizable. Tom Clancy credits himself in the audio commentary as, "The author of the book that was ingored".

They were trying at separate times to mount Without Remorse and Rainbow 6 both with Brandon Routh as Clark. They were really into him for the role and he's a huge Clancy fan. Projects never came thru though.

#14 Single-O-Seven

Single-O-Seven

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1323 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 08:48 PM

They were trying at separate times to mount Without Remorse and Rainbow 6 both with Brandon Routh as Clark. They were really into him for the role and he's a huge Clancy fan. Projects never came thru though.

I though Without Remorse was now back on track, no? Maybe they'll wait to see how this one does first. Rainbow Six would be a good idea, too. As someone above said, there is a lot of film material to be mined from Clancy's books.

#15 Cody

Cody

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1393 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 08:59 PM

Without Remorse is back in development, the latest word was Christopher McQuarrie writing/directing and Tom Hardy on the studio wish list for Kelly/Clark. Kevin Costner is signed to appear in it as the same CIA agent he plays in this Jack Ryan movie.

Without Remorse came very close to being made five or six years ago, directed by John Singleton and starring Joaquin Phoenix.

#16 Chief of SIS

Chief of SIS

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 09:53 PM

Do people know the Jack Ryan name? I mean, we all know Tom Clancy but can normal people hear Jack Ryan and make the connection between 'Hunt for Red October' and that character? If they can't and they're already planning a trilogy, they might have to name it Jack Ryan.

#17 Binyamin

Binyamin

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1075 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 11:42 PM

I don't think "Jack Ryan" is fresh in people's minds. I'd bet most would hear the name and think of a politician.

Side note -- has ANY movie with a non-descript name for a title ever done well? I'm thinking of title such as "Michael Clayton" which just, well, was disappointing. I don't understand why studios name movies that way.

If a consumer hears "Mission Impossible" or "Gladiator" or "Taken" there is SOME clue to what the movie will include. "Jack Ryan" is about as bland as "John Doe" only without the mysterious conotation.

Back on track -- yes, I've read that this Ryan movie will be an origin / prequel, set after Ryan's Marine Corps accident but before his involvement in the Agency. During this time, as outlined in "Red Rabbit," he worked in finance and did rather well.

So a financial / techno / espionage thriller? Could work. Kind of hard to not see "Captain Kirk" being chased by Russians, though.

Edited by Binyamin, 04 September 2012 - 11:45 PM.

#18 Syndicate

Syndicate

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 01:46 AM

I just hope the filmakers will keep it a close the real world type spy movie, and a NOT a super spy type like James Bond, The Man From Uncle, Ethan Hunt, Nick Fury, From Paris With Love and Get Smart. Also NOT a mix of both like Salt and the Bourne movies, I just hate that. I hope they know the difference between a CIA Anaylst, a regular CIA Operation Officer and a CIA Operation Officer in Special Activities Division. I don't want them to have a CIA Anaylst always go out and do what a regular CIA Operation Officer or a CIA Operation Officer in Special Activities Division would. Giving a try is ok to see if one wants to switch over or not, in his career in the agency. Robert Gates did that he tried out one day's training as a regular CIA Operation Officer doing a early morning dead drop. Afterward he went and talked to them to switch over to be a career CIA Analyst. Back when he started out at the CIA.

#19 Binyamin

Binyamin

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1075 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 03:10 AM

Syndicate, I believe this movie will not feature Ryan in the CIA. He is involved in FINANCE, and uncovers the plot of a Russian billionaire.

Not working for CIA in any capacity.

#20 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 08:18 AM

I hope the title will not be "Jack Ryan". This year we already get "Jack Reacher". What´s next? "Jack Knife" (not the reboot of the DeNiro film, of course...)

Really, names as titles for films? Okay, "Forrest Gump" worked. Biopics featuring the names of historic persons, yeah, of course. Superheroes... okay, for the first film.

But is this everything studios are considering us capable to handle? A name will be enough? Not a real title that stirs up our imagination, questions of what the story could be about? Is that too dangerous?

I hope there won´t be a Bond film down the line with the title "James Bond"...

#21 Binyamin

Binyamin

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1075 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 10:00 AM

"James Bond" would work great as a movie title.

After, say, a decade-long absense with no 007 movies.

Edited by Binyamin, 05 September 2012 - 10:00 AM.

#22 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 01:42 PM

Don´t give them any ideas.

#23 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 01:57 PM

I agree, 'Jack Ryan' is a weak title IMO. I always thought of the Jack Ryan series as having a more adult demographic who would be curious about the plot. I feel a film titled 'Jack Ryan' would take away from the previous titles. Might as well name the sequel 'Jack Ryan 2.'

#24 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 02:43 PM

I seem to recall that BY ALL MEANS NECESSARY was going to be the title at one point, which seems a heck of a better (and more Clancyesque) title than MOSCOW or JACK RYAN.

Costner's involvement is the one thing that's really made me sit up and pay attention.... but why the heck isn't he playing Ryan?!?!?!?! Sure, he's far too long in the tooth to be Ryan in a reboot/origin story/prequel/whatever this is, but, still, he'd be perfect for the role. It's rather like reading about Eon casting Clive Owen in a Bond film, only the bloke playing Bond is Henry Cavill or Jim Sturgess and Owen will merely be playing a supporting part as an older MI6 agent who mentors 007.

Mind you, I gather that Costner is also earmarked to play the same character as the lead in some kind of "Ryanverse" spinoff flick, so I guess that partly explains his presence in JACK RYAN. It's the kind of news that seems exciting and disappointing at the same time.

I've said this many times and I'll say it again: they're really missing a trick by not getting Ford back to play President Ryan (albeit that he's already, in effect, played President Jack Ryan in AIR FORCE ONE).

#25 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 03:55 PM

I suppose Hollywood gave the Clancy books a break because for a time TV's "24" played a lot of Clancy's themes and gave them a different spin, terrorism on US territory, sleepers, spies, treachery and so on. They obviously were afraid to run with a major production right into something people had just seen the other day on the telly. Given a few more years they will certainly pick them up again. And yes, Ford was the perfect Ryan and should have been called that in AIR FORCE ONE.

#26 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 04:34 PM

A Kevin Coster spin-off really? I'd watch it, I'd like to see him do another JFK film.

#27 Binyamin

Binyamin

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1075 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 02:55 AM

"JFK: The Sequel - RFK" ?

How do you do ANOTHER JFK film?

#28 S K Y F A L L

S K Y F A L L

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6889 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 03:55 PM

Coster did JFK and Thirteen Days and I just always thought he should do another film involving JFK. I do NOT think they could do a sequel to JFK.

#29 Gothamite

Gothamite

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 409 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 02:53 PM

I hope the title will not be "Jack Ryan". This year we already get "Jack Reacher". What´s next? "Jack Knife" (not the reboot of the DeNiro film, of course...)

Really, names as titles for films? Okay, "Forrest Gump" worked. Biopics featuring the names of historic persons, yeah, of course. Superheroes... okay, for the first film.

But is this everything studios are considering us capable to handle? A name will be enough? Not a real title that stirs up our imagination, questions of what the story could be about? Is that too dangerous?

I hope there won´t be a Bond film down the line with the title "James Bond"...

I agree entirely and that's partly why I was offended by the RDj film entitled "Sherlock Holmes". It just had this bad taste to it; as though their film was somehow more definitive than the ones that had more descriptive titles (on the other hand, I love how the BBC series is simply titled 'Sherlock' hinting at the informality of the series).

#30 Iceskater101

Iceskater101

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2398 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:29 PM

I actually think this film could be decent. Chris Pine has really solidified himself as an action hero especially because of Star Trek. I think this movie has serious potential.