62 replies to this topic

#61 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 30 November 2002 - 04:10 PM

Calm down, Sir James. Take some deep breaths. I'm sure Ian Fleming would have taken these posts in his stride. After all, he had at least one gay friend that I know of: Noel Coward (before I get flamed for implying anything here, I'm not suggesting that Fleming was queer - he wasn't - but I don't think talk of homosexuality would have particularly shocked or upset him).

There will never be a gay Bond, or an openly gay actor playing him. No need to panic.

#62 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 30 November 2002 - 06:24 PM

An entertaining thread, however to summarise some of the cross points here.

Rupert Everett would make an interesting choice to play Bond, but a far better Saint - in my opinion.

This will never happen because of the Marketing boys and the public perception and the media. None of which are particualrly trustworthy when it comes to something risque.

Everett said, "he wanted to play a gay James Bond" This to be interpreted as "a gay spy along the Bond mold" as opposed to making James Bond gay. I'm sure he realises the appeal of Bond is as a straight character.

Fleming would indeed turn in his grave if Bond was either played gay or by a gay chap, but then he was a product of his times. 'Nuff said.

#63 Felix's lighter

Felix's lighter

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 247 posts

Posted 30 November 2002 - 06:45 PM

Actors, producers, whatever... For years now there have been these rumors floating around about making Bond gay. Who they are and why they want to do this so badly are anyone's guess - all I'm saying is that I'm tired of it. I'm sure you're going to say something to the effect that I'm "threatened" by this, as if it's an affront to my own fragile heterosexuality or some such garbage. What it is is STUPIDITY! Nobody talks about making Superman or Batman gay - why is it always James Bond? Yes, the films have strayed a long way from Fleming's character (who was, among other things, a sexist and a homophobe), but even still, to even think of making Bond gay is absurd.

Someone here mentioned that gay men enjoy Bond films for their "camp value"? You guys must be the only ones - everyone else is embarrrassed by the "camp" elements of movies like DAF, MR or TMWTGG.