62 replies to this topic

#1 solitaire

solitaire

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 11 November 2002 - 05:57 PM

Tonight on Mtv will be two shows devoted to DAD!....The first is a special interview with Halle Berry which airs at 9pm eastern time. At 9:30 there will be a making of DAD movie special,featuring exclusive behind the scenes footage.:)Check it out:p

#2 License To Kill

License To Kill

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1556 posts

Posted 11 November 2002 - 09:09 PM

Solitaire, regarding your signature: I hope that NEVER ever happens. A homosexual Bond? Your kidding right?

~LTK~

#3 solitaire

solitaire

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 11 November 2002 - 09:59 PM

Originally posted by License To Kill
Solitaire, regarding your signature: I hope that NEVER ever happens. A homosexual Bond? Your kidding right?

~LTK~

I'm deadly serious;)....Rupert would be perfect as Bond,he's sexy,sophisticated,intelligent,and women love him. His personal life is no one's business,and has nothing to do with his portrayal of Bond. It's called "ACTING". Keep your sad little insecurities to yourself.:)

#4 mccartney007

mccartney007

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3406 posts

Posted 11 November 2002 - 10:16 PM

~LTK~

Does it matter if he's gay in real life? No. He's an actor. He could do a better job as Bond than some of these other pantywaists (there's a word that needs to be used more often!) I've seen suggested for the role.

#5 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 11 November 2002 - 11:08 PM

Everett is a fine actor and could certainly play straight, just as many straight actors play gay roles, and for that matter actors who have never been in trouble with the law play mobsters, murderers, etc. In addition, Everett has many fine qualities that, as solitaire points out, could make him an excellent 007.

Sadly, though, he doesn't stand a chance of being cast in the role, because of the huge problem there would be in MARKETING him as Bond. As we all know, there are supposedly many gay leading men in Hollywood who remain in the closet for fear that audiences would no longer accept them as traditional heterosexual screen heroes if they came out. So they remain silent and secretive about their sexuality in return for producers continuing to offer them the sort of roles that have made them rich.

Everett, by contrast, came out many years ago. For better or for worse, his image is firmly that of a "gay celebrity" (at least in the UK). As the Eon people know, selling a new actor as Bond is enough of a monumental task without the additional major headache of that actor being openly gay. The media would have, as they say, a field day.

I am most certainly not homophobic, and solitaire, I agree with you when you say that someone's private life is his or her own affair, but the media certainly don't abide by this principle in covering celebrities. And you can't tell me that people wouldn't pick up on the irony of a gay actor being cast as popular culture's most celebrated heterosexual stud. I'm afraid that Everett's sexual orientation would overshadow everything if he were presented to the world as the new James Bond. No one would say or write that homosexuality was a sin, or that he was incapable of playing 007, but at the same time no one would let up about "the first bent Bond". Chatshow hosts would endlessly crack jokes about Everett needing a "Mr Moneypenny", and speculate whether his 007 would share makeup tips with the Bond girls. In short, it would be far more trouble than it would be worth for the filmmakers to cast Everett as Bond, and that's just the unfortunate nature of the world we live in.

Who knows, if Everett had remained in the closet, we might all be going to see him soon in DIE ANOTHER DAY.

#6 solitaire

solitaire

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 12 November 2002 - 12:04 AM

Originally posted by Loomis
Everett is a fine actor and could certainly play straight, just as many straight actors play gay roles, and for that matter actors who have never been in trouble with the law play mobsters, murderers, etc. In addition, Everett has many fine qualities that, as solitaire points out, could make him an excellent 007.

Sadly, though, he doesn't stand a chance of being cast in the role, because of the huge problem there would be in MARKETING him as Bond. As we all know, there are supposedly many gay leading men in Hollywood who remain in the closet for fear that audiences would no longer accept them as traditional heterosexual screen heroes if they came out. So they remain silent and secretive about their sexuality in return for producers continuing to offer them the sort of roles that have made them rich.

Everett, by contrast, came out many years ago. For better or for worse, his image is firmly that of a "gay celebrity" (at least in the UK). As the Eon people know, selling a new actor as Bond is enough of a monumental task without the additional major headache of that actor being openly gay. The media would have, as they say, a field day.

I am most certainly not homophobic, and solitaire, I agree with you when you say that someone's private life is his or her own affair, but the media certainly don't abide by this principle in covering celebrities. And you can't tell me that people wouldn't pick up on the irony of a gay actor being cast as popular culture's most celebrated heterosexual stud. I'm afraid that Everett's sexual orientation would overshadow everything if he were presented to the world as the new James Bond. No one would say or write that homosexuality was a sin, or that he was incapable of playing 007, but at the same time no one would let up about "the first bent Bond". Chatshow hosts would endlessly crack jokes about Everett needing a "Mr Moneypenny", and speculate whether his 007 would share makeup tips with the Bond girls. In short, it would be far more trouble than it would be worth for the filmmakers to cast Everett as Bond, and that's just the unfortunate nature of the world we live in.

Who knows, if Everett had remained in the closet, we might all be going to see him soon in DIE ANOTHER DAY.

Unfortunately I agree with much of what you say,but I firmly believe the audience would be more than accepting of Rupert as Bond. Perhaps not diehard Bond fanatics (some of whom are to weird for words). I wish the producers would be willing to think outside the box,but I guess openmindedness is too much to ask for.

#7 HUNTER C.

HUNTER C.

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 12 November 2002 - 12:05 AM

Solitaire, thanks so much for posting about it! I was thinking it was Wednesday when this was to appear and then as soon as I read your post, it dawned on me that TODAY was the 11th! Thanks again!

#8 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 12 November 2002 - 12:09 AM

Originally posted by solitaire

Unfortunately I agree with much of what you say,but I firmly believe the audience would be more than accepting of Rupert as Bond. Perhaps not diehard Bond fanatics (some of whom are to weird for words). I wish the producers would be willing to think outside the box,but I guess openmindedness is too much to ask for.

Maybe you're right, solitaire. Maybe people are indeed more tolerant than I've made out. But in the UK, it seems you only have to pick up any tabloid newspaper to find that homophobia is alive and kicking, especially with regard to celebrities. You only have to mention Elton John or George Michael in this country and the jokes will come thick and fast....

As I say, I think Everett has many qualities that could make him a great 007, but I'm pessimistic that we'll ever have the chance to find out.:)

#9 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 12 November 2002 - 01:39 AM

What makes you so sure we haven't already had one? :)

#10 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 12 November 2002 - 02:22 AM

Don't even go there, zencat!:)

A few weeks ago I alluded to the old rumour that one of the actors who played Bond went to rather extreme lengths to persuade one of the producers to give him the role. This unleashed such acrimony that the thread in question was eventually deleted entirely (after running to a whopping four or five pages).:)

It seems that some people get very, very upset just thinking about these things. It's not always necessarily homophobia per se, but the thought of idols having feet of clay....

It's safe to say it's a taboo subject around these parts, perhaps best avoided altogether.

#11 mi6spy005

mi6spy005

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 53 posts

Posted 12 November 2002 - 03:29 AM

Well, the rumor also implies that either Broccoli or Saltzman were unfaithful to their wives, and considering they were big on family, I doubt it. It's just an insult IMO.

Anyway, as long as they keep Bond himself straight and the actor can pull off the love scenes like he's all about the ladies, then I'm cool with it.

#12 HUNTER C.

HUNTER C.

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 12 November 2002 - 05:09 AM

The fact that the actor is gay is irrelivant. The key word is "actor", in which if Rupert took on the role, he would know the responsibilities of it. Bond is KNOWN as a ladies man. No matter how much he may "supposedly" beg to have Bond have homosexual scenes, I don't think the producers woudl ever let it (and I do believe he once wrote a script where Bond was gay or something, I can't recall about it too well though). I do think Rupert is very suave and sophisticated, but, there's something about him that just doesn't seem right to me for him to play Bond, I dunno. He doesn't seem like he could handle the rough, tough stuff. To me he's kinda in the same range as Hugh Grant and neither one I could picture doing action. However, I could probably never picture Pierce doing action either if I knew of him before Bond. Whoever we get as the next Bond... it'll be a wise choice as its very competitive and the producers know what to look for.

#13 solitaire

solitaire

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 12 November 2002 - 05:36 AM

Okay back to the topic......I loved the specials,although I really did'nt see the point in separating the Halle special from the Bond special:confused: They could have easily just made the whole thing a 1 hour special (MTV IS STUPID) I loved all of the footage from the Ice Palace,as well as the clip of Gustav and Bond fighting at the Blades club. I loved the interviews with Rick Yune (yum:p) it's amazing how they were able to transform that gorgeous man into Zao. It was also nice finally seeing a clip of Michael Madsen (great actor) all in all it was worth watching.:)

#14 Felix's lighter

Felix's lighter

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 247 posts

Posted 12 November 2002 - 06:09 AM

Each of the actors (with the possible exception of Dalton) who have played Bond have "been" Bond to some extent. Pierce seems to be a fairly low-key family man now, but I highly doubt that he wasn't something of a ladies' man at some point in his life. The great thing about Connery's performance was that he was able to mix his own blue collar background with the character's aristocratic sensibilities.

What I'm saying is that for someone to play a character like Bond, he has to BE him to a certain extent. And, in my thinking, that rules a gay man out. Sorry.

#15 Rich Douglas

Rich Douglas

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1105 posts

Posted 12 November 2002 - 06:34 AM

Personally, I wouldn't care if a gay actor played bond... AS LONG AS.. MGM didn't change the franchise and make bond gay. I remember hearing talk sometime ago that Barbara Broccoli was seriously thinking about making bond gay, black, or a woman (jane bond). That kind of thing would be unacceptable.

Rich

#16 rafterman

rafterman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1963 posts

Posted 12 November 2002 - 09:17 AM

I agree with you Rich...

#17 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 12 November 2002 - 12:44 PM

For a while I felt Rupert Everett was the most qualified actor to take on the mantle of James Bond. But when Everett said that he wanted to play James Bond as gay he was instantly scratched of my 'Next Bond' list. Rupert even said that he was going to right a film with a gay James Bond. I suspect that Rupert knows his chance of ever getting the role of 007 is slim to nil and, like many other actors do, uses James Bond as a means to get his name in the press.

My vote: A gay actor playing James Bond, sure. Rupert Everett playing James Bond, no way.

#18 Roukey2

Roukey2

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 20 posts

Posted 12 November 2002 - 01:03 PM

Ummm I think LTK was asking if you were serious about Bond being gay and not the actor who plays him.
It doesn't matter who plays him as long as he's good.
I certainly wouldn't like to see a gay Bond and I think everybody knows it aint gonna happen.
If it did then they might as well go the whole hog and make him: A gay, black, american, woman. Jamilla Bond?

#19 solitaire

solitaire

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 12 November 2002 - 04:51 PM

The funny thing is that I never started a "gay Bond" thread. The "brilliant" administrators of this forum (Xenobia and Blue Eyes) decided to butcher my original thread (under DAD 2002) about the Halle/DAD MTV movie special. I certainly did'nt start a thread about Bond being gay. This all started because I responded to LTK'S question about whether I was serious about Rupert Everett playing Bond. I was. I beleive Rupert would be a great Bond,and I never said he should play Bond as a gay man. His private sexuality has nothing to do with his acting ability. He's played heterosexual men (extremely convincing) his entire career. I don't appreciate the administrators here starting a thread under my name titled "gay Bond". I can start my own threads:mad::)

#20 IrishCrown

IrishCrown

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 12 November 2002 - 05:16 PM

Have Rupert play Bond and Anne Heche as the Bond girl.

#21 WarBird

WarBird

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 370 posts

Posted 12 November 2002 - 05:23 PM

I don't get where gay Bondd comes in.

#22 IrishCrown

IrishCrown

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 12 November 2002 - 05:27 PM

This thread got way of topic, if you ask me.

#23 Kingdom Come

Kingdom Come

Discharged

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3572 posts

Posted 12 November 2002 - 06:54 PM

Euan McGregor as James Bond 007
in

GlobeFall

#24 Mr Trump

Mr Trump

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 274 posts

Posted 17 November 2002 - 10:49 PM

Originally posted by Kingdom Come
Euan McGregor as James Bond 007  

I couldn't agree more I have been saying for ages that Ewan McGregor would make a great Bond.

#25 JackChase007

JackChase007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3446 posts

Posted 18 November 2002 - 02:42 PM

Could Rupert Everett play Bond? I don't doubt that. I think he's certainly more qualified than many other actors out there who are mentioned, or think that they are destined to fill 007's tuxedo. Hell, on a messageboard on imdb.com, some moron suggested that Pierce be replaced by none other than the movie-ruiner himself, KEVIN COSTNER. Disgusting, really...

Everett is indeed a realistic choice, but my problem has nothing to do with the fact that he's gay. I think because he has not gotten the opportunity to play the role as he so desires, he now has something of a grudge against the Bond people, which could make for an uncomfortable environment, should he ever get the chance (which is sounding unlikely). The last thing we need is another Lazenby on set.

It'll be really hard to see Pierce go soon - he's the Bond that I've grown up with, and that's the one you usually form an attachment to, somewhat, and I hope that I'll give the next fella a fair chance. There are two actors that I could accept - Hugh Jackman or Jason Isaacs.

#26 Felix's lighter

Felix's lighter

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 247 posts

Posted 18 November 2002 - 05:09 PM

I'm tired of being PC about this. The verdict is NO. NO on a gay Bond and NO on a gay man ever portraying Bond. I'll debate my reasons later - chew on that for a while.

#27 solitaire

solitaire

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 18 November 2002 - 05:45 PM

:):rolleyes::):rolleyes:

#28 Felix's lighter

Felix's lighter

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 247 posts

Posted 18 November 2002 - 06:40 PM

Well, roll your eyes all you want, but is it possible to have one last bastion of good old heterosexuality left in the world? Why is it that so many people with a bent towards homosexuality are obsessed with adding homosexuality to the Bond character?

#29 solitaire

solitaire

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 18 November 2002 - 09:35 PM

Wow is that all you have to offer in terms of a debate?:):rolleyes::)

#30 Felix's lighter

Felix's lighter

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 247 posts

Posted 18 November 2002 - 09:45 PM

Well, a quick read of Fleming's Goldfinger would certainly indicate how Bond feels about homosexuals. Wouldn't be a total contradiction in character to make him gay?