#31 solitaire

solitaire

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 18 November 2002 - 09:58 PM

Originally posted by Felix's lighter
Well, a quick read of Fleming's Goldfinger would certainly indicate how Bond feels about homosexuals. Wouldn't be a total contradiction in character to make him gay?

Whoever said anything about making Bond gay?:)

#32 JackChase007

JackChase007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3446 posts

Posted 19 November 2002 - 12:04 AM

An excellent point. Nobody has ever commented that the character of Bond should be gay to any degree. The whole question (not originally intended for this thread) is should a gay actor play Bond. Personally, I don't see the big deal as long as the actor portrays Bond convincingly. Heterosexual actors constantly portray gay men on television and in movies - what is wrong with a gay man playing straight if he can do it well?

#33 solitaire

solitaire

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 19 November 2002 - 02:18 AM

Originally posted by JackChase007
An excellent point.  Nobody has ever commented that the character of Bond should be gay to any degree.  The whole question (not originally intended for this thread) is should a gay actor play Bond.  Personally, I don't see the big deal as long as the actor portrays Bond convincingly.  Heterosexual actors constantly portray gay men on television and in movies - what is wrong with a gay man playing straight if he can do it well?

Exactly!,finally a sane comment. I just thought it would be cool to see Rupert portray Bond,not turn him queer:rolleyes: That is all I ever meant. It's called "acting",and who is to say a gay actor has'nt already portrayed Bond:eek:even Pierce has alluded to the fact that he thought he might have been "queer" at one point.:):)

#34 JackChase007

JackChase007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3446 posts

Posted 19 November 2002 - 05:38 AM

Well, Brosnan is returning for Bond 21, so we'll see what EON has up their sleeves for Bond 22 (that is if Pierce doesn't return - please stick with it Pierce...).

#35 cbc007

cbc007

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 22 posts

Posted 19 November 2002 - 06:56 PM

Since when has anything in Fleming's novels had anything to do with the Bond movies?!? Bond has a huge gay following, partly because it's the campest movie franchise EVER! All those straight guys who cling to Bond as the last bastion of heterosexuality are deluding themselves.

#36 Felix's lighter

Felix's lighter

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 247 posts

Posted 19 November 2002 - 07:18 PM

Bond has a huge gay following because they're campy? Talk about stereotyping themselves...

How about this - gay men who watch Bond movies because of their "campiness" are also deluding themselves. How campy has the Bond series been since the Moore years?

#37 solitaire

solitaire

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 20 November 2002 - 05:48 AM

Originally posted by cbc007
Since when has anything in Fleming's novels had anything to do with the Bond movies?!? Bond has a huge gay following, partly because it's the campest movie franchise EVER! All those straight guys who cling to Bond as the last bastion of heterosexuality are deluding themselves.

You hit the nail perfectly on the head;) "Denial" is'nt just a river in Egypt anymore.:):)

#38 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 20 November 2002 - 10:44 AM

Isn't the issue whether the person can act or not?

Laurence Olivier wasn't Danish, but he was damn good at Hamlet.
Orson Welles was caucasian, but played Othello
Pierce Brosnan can't act, but gets employed as an actor
Arnold Schwarzenegger isn't a killer robot from the future - so far as we know - and yet he played one
So why can't a "gay" actor play James Bond? Who gives a damn, anyway.

#39 RITZ

RITZ

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 20 November 2002 - 10:51 AM

I have nothing against homosexuals, but Bond is all about masculinity and I don't think a gay Bond would work.

#40 solitaire

solitaire

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 20 November 2002 - 04:34 PM

Originally posted by RITZ
I have nothing against homosexuals, but Bond is all about masculinity and I don't think a gay Bond would work.

"Masculinity" is not a solely heterosexual trait.:) Gay men are still "men" first. I've known plenty of straight men who are soft and effeminate,and plenty of gay men who are so butch,they make Bond look queer. Rupert Everett is sexy and masculine as they come,even more so than Pierce.If he ever got the chance he could play Bond in his sleep. It's called "acting".:)

#41 IrishCrown

IrishCrown

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 20 November 2002 - 04:37 PM

After seeing a heterosexual Bond for 40 years, why the urge to make him gay?

#42 solitaire

solitaire

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 20 November 2002 - 05:40 PM

Originally posted by IrishCrown
After seeing a heterosexual Bond for 40 years, why the urge to make him gay?

Once again,I would like to make it clear that I have absolutely no desire to see Bond turn GAY:rolleyes: Can anyone actually read on this forum? Bond is a character that can be played by any actor regardless of his own personal sexuality. That is where the acting comes in.

#43 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 20 November 2002 - 06:21 PM

Originally posted by solitaire

Whoever said anything about making Bond gay?:)

That would be Rupert Everett, who when asked about the possibility of the role hinted he would play him as a homosexual.
Not sure if he was joking or not, but it wasn't taken that way. :)

I didn't read that post about one of the Bond actors going to special measures with the producers to get his role, but I've always thought Barbara Broccoli was nice...:)

#44 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 20 November 2002 - 06:37 PM

Had Rock Hudson been British he would have made a fantasic James Bond. You don't get too much more masculine than Rock was on screen.

#45 Icebreaker

Icebreaker

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 69 posts

Posted 21 November 2002 - 02:15 AM

If there was ever a homosexual actor playing BOND I would boycott the series...making Bond bisexual or homosexual is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. Im sorry, but when in the hell is all this politically correct 21st Century **** gonna stop? Probably never...which is unfortunate.

No Gay Bond. No Gay Actor as Bond. End of story

#46 solitaire

solitaire

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 21 November 2002 - 02:29 AM

Originally posted by Icebreaker
If there was ever a homosexual actor playing BOND I would boycott the series...making Bond bisexual or homosexual is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. Im sorry, but when in the hell is all this politically correct 21st Century **** gonna stop? Probably never...which is unfortunate.

No Gay Bond. No Gay Actor as Bond. End of story

geez,talk about "issues":rolleyes:are you really that threatened by gay men? how sad for you;)

#47 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 21 November 2002 - 02:42 AM

You know Solitaire, they say that homophobic men are actually afraid of their own sexual identities and so perhaps those who are upset about a gay actor being Bond should look to themselves.
I'm not opposed to a gay actor portraying James Bond, but I would hope the character would remain the same...

#48 solitaire

solitaire

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 21 November 2002 - 03:03 AM

Originally posted by DLibrasnow
You know Solitaire, they say that homophobic men are actually afraid of their own sexual identities and so perhaps those who are upset about a gay actor being Bond should look to themselves.  
I'm not opposed to a gay actor portraying James Bond, but I would hope the character would remain the same...

I wholeheartedly agree;)

#49 Icebreaker

Icebreaker

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 69 posts

Posted 21 November 2002 - 03:56 AM

You can say whatever you want...no matter how ridiculous it is. I am completely safe with my STRAIGHT sexuality, but I guarantee you poor Ian Fleming would roll over in his grave if he knew a gay man was playing the role of James Bond. Bond is a masculine womenizer and having a gay man play the role of 007 would ruin everything the character stands for. You can laugh, giggle and question my sexuality all you want...but my opinion remains the same. NO gay actor should play Bond.

#50 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 21 November 2002 - 04:17 AM

Actually the observation I was making was based on documeted studies. It is also a well known fact that some of history's most famous homophobes have turned out to be gay, J. Edgar Hoover for example. But whatever, you believe what you want.
Have a nice day.....

#51 Felix's lighter

Felix's lighter

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 247 posts

Posted 21 November 2002 - 07:48 AM

"Laurence Olivier wasn't Danish, but he was damn good at Hamlet.
Orson Welles was caucasian, but played Othello"

The problem here is that - aside from perhaps Dalton - none of the men who played him have been method actors; actors who have basically been told to play themselves. That's why we have a macho version of Bond (Connery), a funny version of Bond (Moore), an uptight version of Bond Dalton, an - um - Australian version of Bond (Lazenby) and a mix of all four (Brosnan). So, if to play Bond is essentially to play yourself, how would a gay Bond fly?

#52 Felix's lighter

Felix's lighter

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 247 posts

Posted 21 November 2002 - 07:50 AM

"Once again,I would like to make it clear that I have absolutely no desire to see Bond turn GAY Can anyone actually read on this forum? Bond is a character that can be played by any actor regardless of his own personal sexuality. That is where the acting comes in."

OK Solitaire - then why did you name the thread "Gay Bond" when it had absolutely nothing to do with your initial post? Was it just for the shock value?

#53 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 21 November 2002 - 08:47 AM

...how would a gay Bond fly?

Not sure it's a requirement that he can fly, although after an invisible car, I guess any tawdry concept is possible.

Who gives a tuppenny damn? The actor being gay is of as much relevance as the actor having a big nose or eight nipples on his left leg.

#54 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 21 November 2002 - 11:25 AM

Roger Moore was a pacifist who hated guns and he was quite successful in the role of James Bond. Killing and shooting are larger part of the character of James Bond than making sweet love to a all the women. So if Rog can be Bond despite this why can't a gay actor portray Bond?

(I'm still against Rupert Everett though.)

#55 solitaire

solitaire

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 21 November 2002 - 04:42 PM

Originally posted by Icebreaker
You can say whatever you want...no matter how ridiculous it is. I am completely safe with my STRAIGHT sexuality

Sure you are;):)

#56 IrishCrown

IrishCrown

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 21 November 2002 - 05:30 PM

Is this the forum for Anne Heche as a Bond girl? I saw her in 6 Days, 7 Nights, she was good.

#57 cbc007

cbc007

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 22 posts

Posted 21 November 2002 - 06:28 PM

Ha Ha! you guys are funny.
I don't think anyone is suggesting that Bond is gonna shack up with another fella (although a scene getting down with Gustav Graves would certainly be worth watching)! 'James Bond' is a CHARACTER, and he's straight. End of story. but I'm slightly bemused (and offended) by the comments that a gay actor couldn't play him. I think that aspect is irrelevant.

#58 Felix's lighter

Felix's lighter

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 247 posts

Posted 21 November 2002 - 06:40 PM

Has it not already been said somewhere in these forums that Rupert Everett wanted to make the character gay? I would not care so much if a gay actor played Bond if so many of them were not so hellbent on bringing their lifestyle to their portrayal of the character.

By the way Jim - anyone who saw Moonraker knows Roger Moore's Bond can fly, lol;P.

#59 solitaire

solitaire

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 21 November 2002 - 09:16 PM

Has it not already been said somewhere in these forums that Rupert Everett wanted to make the character gay? I would not care so much if a gay actor played Bond if so many of them were not so hellbent on bringing their lifestyle to their portrayal of the character.

By the way Jim - anyone who saw Moonraker knows Roger Moore's Bond can fly, lol;P.

You're backtracking from your previous statements:eek:how telling:rolleyes:....btw who are these actors that are "hell bent" on bringing their "lifestyle" (is that what it is,a lifestyle?) to the Bond character?....as for Rupert,i'm sure he was just being sarcastic:rolleyes:

#60 Sir James

Sir James

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 30 November 2002 - 04:01 PM

NO GAY MAN WILL PLAY MY HERO!

JAMES BOND REPESENTS A OLD FASHIONED GENTLEMAN WITH OLD FASHIONED VALUES. AND TO SAY THAT WETHER OR NOT HE IS GAY DOES NOT MATTER IS BULL S---! YOU KNOW THE PRESS WILL BE ALL OVER IT! BOND WILL LOOSE ALL HIS CREDIBITLY, HIS VALUES, AND MOST IMPORTANTLY HE WOULD LOOSE A FAN!!!

A GAY JAMES BOND, IF FLEMING WAS NOT DEAD NOW HE WOULD HAVE DIED READING THESE POSTS!

I AM ASHAMED!