507 replies to this topic

#121 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 10:01 AM

Here are the plans, guys! Chapel and manor house.
http://plandocs.wave...g&viewdocs=true

Gosh; great find.

This is all being built at Hankley, then? No wonder I saw a '23' sign pointing off the A3.

#122 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 10:02 AM

Bit late to the party, but great find Luigi!

Wonder if the "priest hole" mentioned is where Bond might hide M.

#123 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 10:13 AM

Bit late to the party, but great find Luigi!

Wonder if the "priest hole" mentioned is where Bond might hide M.

Yeah I thought that was odd; a priest hole is usually just a hidden compartment in a house, I thought. Maybe the house has some sort of underground escape route to the priest hole and/or chapel.

#124 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 10:39 AM

I don't want to answer on Germanlady's behalf, but I believe there's a line in the application saying that the film company hope to shoot in mid-March (from or around 12th March).

#125 Luigi Ferrari

Luigi Ferrari

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 981 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 10:42 AM

Glad you liked it,guys.
Sam Mendes was right: a classic Bond film and plenty of action.

@Germanlady: you can post it in another forum, for me it's ok.
@Col.Sun: since the Skyfall's finale is set to take place in Scotland, do we have any chance to see 007 dressed in a kilt?

Edited by Luigi Ferrari, 12 February 2012 - 10:42 AM.

#126 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 10:48 AM

it seems to be that way. As stated in the planning application- supporting statement (p. 7), three major sequences will be filmed:
- vehicle drive approaching the house
- fight scene around the house with gunfire, helicopter assault, fire, grenade effects, and a simulated gas explosion
- character emerges from tunnel and makes escape towards chapel

Ah; I didn't see that bit; thanks. I wonder why they need to build a chapel? From that it sounds like the sort of thing they could do on a real location, and if they mentioned the action at the house you'd think they'd mention action at the chapel if there is to be any.
Maybe they can see the house from the chapel?

#127 Germanlady

Germanlady

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1381 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 10:48 AM

apart, thanks Luigi, and a question @Germanlady: Why do you think they will be filming there in March, not February?

I think, they wanted to start shooting in Turkex mid february for several weeks, which would include mid March.

#128 Skudor

Skudor

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9286 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 10:52 AM

It's all coming out now :-)

So Bond whisks M off to a safe house in Scotland (that may or may not have belonged to his father - I'd rather not but it's low key enough I suppose) where there's a final finale thingy with blowups and stuff generally going down.

#129 Col. Sun

Col. Sun

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 427 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 10:55 AM

apart, thanks Luigi, and a question @Germanlady: Why do you think they will be filming there in March, not February?

I think, they wanted to start shooting in Turkex mid february for several weeks, which would include mid March.

I'll see if I can get some inside info; but it is possible that the 2nd Unit will be filming in Turkey first - exterior train scenes perhaps - and that the main unit will head out to Turkey after completing the remaining London scenes and the Scotland action scenes in Mid-March.

From Turkey they would then return to Pinewood to film the remaining interior scenes - like the Int. set of the Manor House or Int. train scenes etc. and wrap the principle photography at the end of May as per the schedule.

#130 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 11:00 AM

Wonder how long it will take for those Hankley Common photos to appear on another Bond site with a newly added watermark...

#131 ggl

ggl

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 11:16 AM

A little detail for lover of Classic-Bond (like me):

The final attack seems to be a villain attack against Bond and M, not a good-guys attack like in OHMSS or YOLT...

Anyway, the night and the helicopters remind me the attack on Bin Laden place (remember the Bigelow movie with "privileged" info?)

#132 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 01:45 PM

So do you think M will be in this action sequence, too? That's two she's in then if it's true. Bless her.

#133 Germanlady

Germanlady

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1381 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 01:59 PM

What I always wondered is, why so many people are offended by M being more in the DC films. Just because M was stuck in her/his office forever doesn't mean, this has to continue IMO. I just see her as an important character, adding to the plot. End of story. Would it be ok, if her part of the story would be someone else - an other older woman? I think, M is an interesting character with lots of layers, that can be used. Why make up a new one just because M is supposed to never leave the office? Who said so?
Maybe we should liberate our minds a bit from the same ole...just saying...

#134 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 02:00 PM

it seems to be that way. As stated in the planning application- supporting statement (p. 7), three major sequences will be filmed:

Where can I find the supporting statement? All I've got a few plans and some documents about the ecological impact of the filming. Nothing about machine guns or explosions.

#135 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 02:17 PM

What's the document number?

#136 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 04:26 PM

Hate to reiterate, but... according to Appendix C, the Technical Brief for Filming, there is a helicopter involved, as well as a "general fight sequence", "explosion/crash sequence", and "aftermath sequence".

Hadn't thought of this until now, but is it possible they could finally be using the deleted "country house" sequence from Michael France's first draft of GoldenEye? Stripped of its story specifics (as the other sequences reused from that screenplay have been), it'd still be a pretty good sequence, and the description couldn't help but make me think of it -- character in a manor house, with a helicopter, lots of explosions, etc...

Once we get plot details, we'll know for sure if it's not. I've only really brought this up because of how, upon reading the France draft, I was struck by how astonishingly close its plane chase followed the QOS plane chase, nearly beat-for-beat (with the exception of a small portion involving a flight through a narrow canyon) -- so it wouldn't surprise me if, stripped of plot specifics, we get an explosive sequence involving a villain storming into the house, his goons killing people on sight, and somehow confronting Bond.

Think it fits, somehow. :-)

#137 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 09:53 PM

What I always wondered is, why so many people are offended by M being more in the DC films.

I've often wondered how people would react to CR - not so much QOS - if it had starred Sean Connery as Bond and Bernard Lee as M. I think people generally dislike Judi Dench's M being in the field moreso than M being in the field

#138 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 03:38 PM

What I always wondered is, why so many people are offended by M being more in the DC films.

I've often wondered how people would react to CR - not so much QOS - if it had starred Sean Connery as Bond and Bernard Lee as M.

It would still have been marred by the atrocious dialogue. Not even Bernard Lee could pull of the "half-monk/half hitman" line.

#139 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 03:42 PM

Well, neither could Judi Dench. Which is probably why Daniel Craig said it.

#140 Royal Dalton

Royal Dalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4542 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 03:50 PM

It was still a rubbish line, whoever said it.

#141 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 03:57 PM

Exactly. Pedantry be damned.

#142 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 04:01 PM

Yes, a lot of that film is written well: that line is horrible. And they put it in the trailer.

#143 Shrublands

Shrublands

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 04:43 PM

Hadn't thought of this until now, but is it possible they could finally be using the deleted "country house" sequence from Michael France's first draft of GoldenEye? Stripped of its story specifics (as the other sequences reused from that screenplay have been), it'd still be a pretty good sequence, and the description couldn't help but make me think of it -- character in a manor house, with a helicopter, lots of explosions, etc...

Well spotted, yes, how interesting!

A remote manor house in a mountainous wilderness.

Snowy weather.

A helicopter assault.

Gun battle.

A big gas explosion.

It certainly has a number of elements that could fit. I wonder if there will be a frozen lake nearby, with bits of ice being dragged off down some rapids towards a waterfall. A sort of post-big-climatic-battle action sequence, like the bobsled in OHMSS.

#144 Royal Dalton

Royal Dalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4542 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 05:04 PM

Quite likely (with Albert Finney's character in place of Augustus Trevelyan, I would speculate).

#145 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 05:59 PM

I don't know about the frozen lake and waterfall; the whole bit with the priest hole seems like they might've changed the ending to the sequence -- instead of flying out, they go into the tunnel, and... something else, I'd imagine.

#146 Shrublands

Shrublands

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 07:01 PM

I don't know about the frozen lake and waterfall; the whole bit with the priest hole seems like they might've changed the ending to the sequence -- instead of flying out, they go into the tunnel, and... something else, I'd imagine.

Well, it’s a way of getting out, other than jumping through the window. If the plot of Skyfall sees them in the basement or some such, perhaps it would make more sense to get out of the exploding house that way – don’t know.

The ‘mound’ with the ‘priest hole’ exit could be close to the lake.

It’s just that the Scottish Highlands and the snow that they are adding, suggests that they want more out of the Goldeneye sequence then just the house stuff.

#147 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 11:47 PM

Hmmmmm... you might be right. :-)

A tie to M's past, multiple dead agents... they might also be trying to use the backstory of the "country house" -- except now it's M's past instead of Bond's past. Perhaps...?

#148 Shrublands

Shrublands

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 12:01 AM

I’d say there is a distinct possibility there.

I don’t think that the climatic location has simply been motivated by Bond saying something like, “Come on M, let’s go and hide in this old house I know in Scotland, they’ll never think of looking for you there. It belonged to my Dad.” As some around here seem to think. Then he shoves the poor old thing down an old priest’s hole and waits for the bad guys to show up… or whatever. No.

There is much more to their decision to go to Scotland, and it has nothing to do with Bond’s mum and dad’s old house.

I think it's where Bond picks up that black box and that's why he and M went there.
But what's in the box?

#149 Luigi Ferrari

Luigi Ferrari

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 981 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 01:01 PM

Some recent photos of the Skyfall film set in Hankley Common:
http://www.greatbrit...update/id/6664/

#150 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 03:06 PM

Good stuff; I was actually considering a detour past there today! :)