128 replies to this topic

#61 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 10:21 PM

Perhaps, but Craig isn't a big talker, so it's not out of the question to take him literally here. He doesn't say the script's in the spirit of FRWL etc., or words to that effect. He explicitly says they've used 'hooks' from the book in question. 'Hooks' are hard to see as anything other than major plot points that are central to the story, not vague tonal likenesses.

Nice theory.

It's just let down bu one massive fatal flaw: all of the major plot points - the hooks - from FRWL and LALD have already been filmed, and EON have said they will not remake any films.

Stop grasping at straws.

#62 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 10:32 PM

Perhaps, but Craig isn't a big talker, so it's not out of the question to take him literally here. He doesn't say the script's in the spirit of FRWL etc., or words to that effect. He explicitly says they've used 'hooks' from the book in question.

I'll say this. There is one Fleming 'hook' that we rarely (if ever) mention, and that's the final scene of FRWL, where Bond has his Reichenbach Falls moment, lying in a pool of blood after Rosa Klebb has stabbed him in the shin with her stiletto shoe. In some respects, it also reminds me of the classic ending of Nicholas Roeg's DON'T LOOK NOW.

#63 Pussfeller

Pussfeller

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4089 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 11:17 PM

That would be a hell of a way to end a Bond movie. It worked in the novel because there was a genuine possibility that Bond would not return. But it wouldn't really work in a film because everyone knows that Bond will be back.

#64 stamper

stamper

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2994 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 11:43 PM

Anyone seen the ending of Layer Cake?

#65 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 11:43 PM

That would be a hell of a way to end a Bond movie. It worked in the novel because there was a genuine possibility that Bond would not return. But it wouldn't really work in a film because everyone knows that Bond will be back.

Ah, you see. I think it could work, very well indeed. You never know what direction the franchise could go in after Craig leaves. If this sequence were used, I would think it would be brilliant for Craigs final Bond film. I've always had an idea that Bond could go back to the 50's with Bond 7. Period Bond would be a really interesting idea.

#66 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 12:00 AM

However, the fabled alternative ending to QoS, featuring Bond sniped down in the snow and left in a pool of blood as the film ends is the exact same conceit. Personally i'd've preferred that ending - would've lent the next film an interesting opening. Maybe one day we'll get to see that QoS ending!

What? That's not it, at all; the alternate ending was Bond tracking down and killing Mr. White at Guy Haines's estate before he can kill Haines.

#67 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 12:06 AM

However, the fabled alternative ending to QoS, featuring Bond sniped down in the snow and left in a pool of blood as the film ends is the exact same conceit. Personally i'd've preferred that ending - would've lent the next film an interesting opening. Maybe one day we'll get to see that QoS ending!

What? That's not it, at all; the alternate ending was Bond tracking down and killing Mr. White at Guy Haines's estate before he can kill Haines.

Think he's talking about those crazy rumours that circled 'round in 08. Personally I think the sniper ending is too reminiscent of GET CARTER and even L4YER CAKE.

#68 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 12:13 AM

Think he's talking about those crazy rumours that circled 'round in 08. Personally I think the sniper ending is too reminiscent of GET CARTER and even L4YER CAKE.

Q shoots Bond.

#69 Cody

Cody

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1393 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 12:24 AM

Because Q is the head of Quantum.

#70 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 01:33 AM

...named Quentin Moray, natch. ;)

#71 Pushkin

Pushkin

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 121 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 06:35 PM

That's not it, at all; the alternate ending was Bond tracking down and killing Mr. White at Guy Haines's estate before he can kill Haines.

I actually never knew that was the alternate ending we heard discussed. I have always wondered what was in it and came up with a few ideas in my own mind.

Essentially, I always saw the film coming full circle with Bond back in an interogation with Mr. White and saying something witty just before the movie ended. Perhaps:

"Now before we were so rudely interrupted, we were talking about Quantum"

or

Bringing Yusef Kabira into the room he says "You were saying that you have people everywhere.... well so do we...."

Anyway, just the scenes I cooked up in my mind when I thought about. Thanks for the info and I am hoping that someday we will get to see it - perhaps in the Bond 50 package?

Cheers

Edited by Pushkin, 16 February 2012 - 06:36 PM.

#72 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 08:29 PM

From what I understand, there were two takes. The first one involved Bond killing White with a silenced PPK. Haines asks who he is and all James does is grin. The second take (from what I understand) was the exact same thing except when asked who he is, he says "Bond, James Bond." It was axed because it would have set up for a further sequel.

#73 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 09:21 PM

It was axed because it would have set up for a further sequel.

And also because Marc Forster liked the film ending on "I never left".

#74 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 11:08 PM

It was axed because it would have set up for a further sequel.

And also because Marc Forster liked the film ending on "I never left".

Right. There's a photo somewhere out there of Daniel pointing a silenced Walther at the camera that was taken for the scene. Can't find it, though. He was wearing the grey suit he was sporting under his coat in the last scene of the film.

#75 Luigi Ferrari

Luigi Ferrari

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 981 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 11:21 PM

This interview with Jesper Christensen was broadcast by Danish television in May 2008.
It contains a part of the deleted ending scene of Quantum of Solace - the scene 177B - which was filmed at Pinewood Studios. In this scene Mr. White is obviously talking to Guy Haines.
I own also two pictures of 007 from that scene, but , after the site was down for maintenance in December, I can't upload any photos from my pc ( hopefully you can fix this issue).
I do not know if this content has been posted before, so here it is. Have fun!

http://sporten.tv2.d...hristensen.html

#76 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 05:20 AM

This interview with Jesper Christensen was broadcast by Danish television in May 2008.
It contains a part of the deleted ending scene of Quantum of Solace - the scene 177B - which was filmed at Pinewood Studios. In this scene Mr. White is obviously talking to Guy Haines.
I own also two pictures of 007 from that scene, but , after the site was down for maintenance in December, I can't upload any photos from my pc ( hopefully you can fix this issue).
I do not know if this content has been posted before, so here it is. Have fun!

http://sporten.tv2.d...hristensen.html

Interesting. I believe the final scene of the completed QUANTUM OF SOLACE was #169, so it seems they trimmed quite a bit off the end of the movie.

#77 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:17 AM

I found the account of the Skyfall teaser trailer shown in Las Vegas interesting, particularly the reference to the "word association" scene at the start. Bond undergoing a psychiatric evaluation? Take that together with the recent rumours that M is "killed off", and I wonder?

Suppose M isn't killed, but there's an assassination attempt?

Suppose the Fleming "source material" of this new Bond film includes the infamous scene from the start of the novel "The Man With The Golden Gun"?

I may, of course, be proved 100% incorrect later this year when the film is released, linking one little morsel of an account of a trailer to some red top stuff about M. But it did set me thinking.

#78 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:37 AM

That could be interesting; might be a way of doing that without undermining Bond (or it feeling too much like the beginning of DAD).

Bits of Golden Gun were used in Licence to Kill too (and it took me this long to spot!); so there are still some bits of the books left unused.

#79 Pussfeller

Pussfeller

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4089 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:57 AM

I can imagine M surviving an assassination, or staging a fake death. The fact that Bond himself is the subject of a fake death sets this up as a theme. It would be an interesting bookend for the film to begin with Bond faking his death and end with M faking her death.

#80 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 01:19 PM

Suppose the Fleming "source material" of this new Bond film includes the infamous scene from the start of the novel "The Man With The Golden Gun"?

I hope you´re right. Now that would be a total shock: Bond being brainwashed to assassinate M. Or being forced to carry out operation "Skyfall", meaning killing M.

#81 Shrublands

Shrublands

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 01:25 PM

I hope you´re right. Now that would be a total shock: Bond being brainwashed to assassinate M. Or being forced to carry out operation "Skyfall", meaning killing M.

And then we are intended to accept Bond back in the secret service trusted with a licence to kill, in this and subsequent stories?

#82 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 01:35 PM

The trailers had me thinking of GOLDEN GUN, to be sure, but I'm guessing that they haven't actually done the Bond-as-brainwashed-assassin thing.

#83 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 03:10 PM

The trailers had me thinking of GOLDEN GUN, to be sure, but I'm guessing that they haven't actually done the Bond-as-brainwashed-assassin thing.

I really hope not. It's a bit silly; and I don't really want to see a Bond film where Bond isn't Bond.

#84 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 03:13 PM

I really hope not. It's a bit silly; and I don't really want to see a Bond film where Bond isn't Bond.

I wouldn't mind it at some point--I'm not adverse to silliness with Bond, provided the silliness is colorful enough--but it isn't very well-rendered by Fleming. FWIW, the Horak comic strip adaptation of GOLDEN GUN does a much, much better job with Bond's recovery than Fleming's novel does. (Indeed, the Horak-drawn Fleming adaptations tend to altogether be very clever adaptations of the source material.)

#85 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 04:05 PM

Maybe it is not the "Bond was brainwashed"-idea.

But it could work this way:

Bond has been assigned to assassinate M because someone higher up was convinced that M was a traitor.

That would put Bond in a huge dilemma. He is forced to do his job without asking questions. But he has a personal relationship with M. Does he trust her more than other authorities - even if everything points to M being responsible for an attack on London?

#86 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 04:55 PM

All that would not have to necessarily involve Bond assassinating M, it would already be enough if his people thought he was about to (for whatever reason).

#87 ggl

ggl

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:10 PM

Perhaps he was just "killed in action" and off the service. When he is found, he has to be interrogated and pass psycological tests to "re-entry"...

Meanwhile, SkyFall has been discovered...

#88 00Twelve

00Twelve

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7706 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:24 PM

I know I'm going to come off as a noob to both Fleming and CBn by even suggesting this, but there'd be no chance of the TMWTGG opening sequence having anything to do with the film, would there? From the trailer description, it sounds like Bond has some psychiatric testing and there's some (usual) tension between him and his superiors. Either it's something of that sort, or something must get royally botched in the PTS.

Now, real world, that opening would land him in a big fat court martial, name besmirched all over the world news. But one can never tell with the movies.

#89 JCRendle

JCRendle

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3639 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:37 PM

Now, real world, that opening would land him in a big fat court martial, name besmirched all over the world news. But one can never tell with the movies.

In the real world I'm sure the SIS would cover up any mishaps rather than let the world news know anything about it.

#90 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:34 PM

I wouldn't mind it at some point--I'm not adverse to silliness with Bond, provided the silliness is colorful enough--but it isn't very well-rendered by Fleming. FWIW, the Horak comic strip adaptation of GOLDEN GUN does a much, much better job with Bond's recovery than Fleming's novel does. (Indeed, the Horak-drawn Fleming adaptations tend to altogether be very clever adaptations of the source material.)

I don't mind silly; but brain-washing just feels like an overused, Man From UNCLE-sort of plot.