114 replies to this topic

#31 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 12:25 PM

9) "Glee" was actually a lot of fun in its first season. Then it just got preachy, and too-Ryan Murphy.

10) Life insurance ads that try to appear amicable with "acting scenes" or someone who tries to address the audience personally need to die.

11) Say what you want about "The Circle" - Yumi Stynes is hot, and therefore, the show is worth watching.

12a) If "So You Think You Can Dance" is anything to go by, I cannot tell the difference between a tango and hip hop dance.
12b) Or any other style of dance, for that matter. Strangely enough, I feel like I should be able to tell them apart.
12c) Stephanie should have won the first season of "So You Think You Can Dance (Austtralia)".
12d) I'm only saying that because I went to high school with her.

13) I have no idea what "Beached Az" is about ... and my cousin invented it.

14) Instead of making Jim Phelps a traitor, MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE should have revolved around Phelps realising that there was a mole in his team and staging his own death to lure Ethan Hunt away from his own death trap. The rest of the film would involve Phelps feeding information back to Ethan about the real mole as he found it, knowing that the IMF would chase Ethan.

15) The first PIRATES OF THE CARRIBBEAN film is fantastic. Sparrow's ability to appeal to his enemies and play them off one another (ie getting the British and the undead to fight one another) was without precedent. The rest of the films were just stupid - they made Jack seem intelligent by making him the only one who could understand the plot.

18) "MacGyver" needs to be rebooted for 2012.

17) Way too many fight scenes in Hollywood are obviously choreographed, so the characters never feel like they're in danger. If you want an impressive fight scene, drop the krav maga (or whatever martial art is trendy) and make it an all-in street brawl.

19) If I have to hear about how great CASEY STONER!! is one more time - even if it's in the evening news - I'm going to scream.

#32 Safari Suit

Safari Suit

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5099 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 01:34 PM

* "The Simpsons" has actually improved from what it was about eight years ago and is still quite watchable. And even at its worst, it's still a much funnier show than "Family Guy".

I'd agree that Simpsons is currently much more entertaining than Family Guy, although living in the UK and not having SKY TV I have to say neither show stokes my enthusiasm enough in their current forms to merit keeping up with through the web and DVD all that often. However American Dad is the best (adult) animated series on TV these days, although that seems to be becoming an increasingly popular view.

10) Life insurance ads that try to appear amicable with "acting scenes" or someone who tries to address the audience personally need to die.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXXspsIIAz8&list=FLqc0bzKPjlu07QJMExSDXkw&index=31&feature=plpp_video

Bastard!

#33 Conlazmoodalbrocra

Conlazmoodalbrocra

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3546 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 07:17 PM

Remakes and reboots are, 9 times out of 10, complete crap. Hollywood should stop making them!

Yeah.
CR is a welcome exception.

Totally. Batman Begins is probably up there as well in the vault of "good reboots", but apart from that, they're mostly cack! There are very few remakes that I like. Only ones I can think of are The Nutty Professor, True Grit and Ocean's Eleven.

#34 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 08:51 PM

* "The Simpsons" has actually improved from what it was about eight years ago and is still quite watchable. And even at its worst, it's still a much funnier show than "Family Guy".

I'd agree that Simpsons is currently much more entertaining than Family Guy, although living in the UK and not having SKY TV I have to say neither show stokes my enthusiasm enough in their current forms to merit keeping up with through the web and DVD all that often. However American Dad is the best (adult) animated series on TV these days, although that seems to be becoming an increasingly popular view.

I agree about 'Dad, though I don't watch The Simpsons anymore, it's just painful, and I mostly watch Family Guy out of habit...although Beavis and Butt-head just came back on the air in the US, so that's some instant tough competition.

#35 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 09:27 PM

THE SIMPSONS has been in decent form for the past few seasons. Far more worthwhile than FAMILY GUY or AMERICAN DAD.

#36 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 01:19 AM

"Family Guy" is horrendous. About 75% of each episode is filler, it's over-reliant on cheap cutaway gags (I think "South Park" nailed it when they revealed that the writers of "Family Guy" were specially-trained dolphins) and it's just not funny. Although the STAR WARS parodies were okay.

#37 Tybre

Tybre

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3057 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 01:38 AM

I've never cared for Joss Whedon. At all.

#38 Single-O-Seven

Single-O-Seven

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1323 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 02:29 AM

"Family Guy" is horrendous. About 75% of each episode is filler, it's over-reliant on cheap cutaway gags (I think "South Park" nailed it when they revealed that the writers of "Family Guy" were specially-trained dolphins) and it's just not funny. Although the STAR WARS parodies were okay.

They were manatees, not dolphins! But you're right - they did nail it on South Park, as they often do. I still feel that South Park is one of the best-written satires ever done.

#39 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 02:42 AM

Unfortuantely, the only episodes of "South Park" that anyone know about are Make Love, Not Warcraft and Trapped in the Closet. They're good - but there were are a lot more episodes out there that are better.

#40 Chief of SIS

Chief of SIS

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 03:23 AM

Speaking of animated series, do they make good animated shows for kids anymore. I grew up with Batman the Animated Series and that was the greatest half an hour of animated TV in the world. A lot of the stuff today aimed at kids seems like flashy, senseless drivel. I could be out of touch since I'm a grown man but still...

(Side note: whoever keeps thumbing down other people's posts...the topic is called UNPOPULAR tv/movie opinions! Do you really need to abuse the system to get your jollies?)

#41 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 03:31 AM

I grew up with Pokemon. Man, those were the days!

#42 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 05:39 AM

18) "MacGyver" needs to be rebooted for 2012.

I think "MacGruber" destroyed any chance of a new "MacGyver" series being taken seriously. It's like if EON tried to do a "YOLT"/"TSWLM"-like Bond movie in the wake of the "Austin Powers" films.

#43 Janus Assassin

Janus Assassin

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1898 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 05:54 AM

Saving Private Ryan should have won best Oscar in 1998. wtf were they thinking picking Shakespeare in Love over that?

#44 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 08:57 AM

Saving Private Ryan should have won best Oscar in 1998. wtf were they thinking picking Shakespeare in Love over that?

Is that an unpopular opionion, per se? Not too sure many would disagree with you (albeit Saving Private Ryan is historically deeply suspect).

#45 Safari Suit

Safari Suit

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5099 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 11:52 AM

It's one of the most common "disputes" people have with the Academy I'd say

#46 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 03:38 PM

I'm not happy that SHAKESPEARE IN LOVE won out, but SAVING PRIVATE RYAN is a terribly overrated film, too.

#47 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 05:08 PM

THE BIG LEBOWSKI should've won.

#48 Safari Suit

Safari Suit

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5099 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 05:13 PM

Out of that year's nominees I'd probably plump for Life is Beautiful; I fully understand why it rubbed a lot of people the wrong way but it really worked for me. The Thin Red Line and Saving Private Ryan both have their strengths and weaknesses I think; Thin Red Line is the more admirable effort certainly, but I'm not sure I'd say it "works" holistically any more than Ryan does. Interesting to note that year's nominees were all set before 1946, and furthermore consisted of two Elizabethan films and three WWII films.

#49 Chief of SIS

Chief of SIS

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 05:33 PM

THE BIG LEBOWSKI should've won.

Forget it Sharky, you're out of your element.

#50 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 08:49 PM

It's one of the most common "disputes" people have with the Academy I'd say

I reckon that if Pri-Ry (oh yeah, deal with THAT abbreviation) had won, we'd have a whole cadre of people saying that Shakey was the better film and that should have won. Ditto with all the other dark/violent films losing to a 'nicer' picture, e.g. LA Confidential/Titanic and Dances with Wolves/Goodfellas, Ordinary people/Raging Bull Rocky/Taxi Driver etc. People just like being contrarians and showing how anti-populist they are; the basis for this entire thread, I suspect. Er, I'll get me coat.

#51 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 09:02 PM

People just like being contrarians and showing how anti-populist they are; the basis for this entire thread, I suspect.

Oh, the delight of being contrarian, of being a rabble-rouser, is very much a real thing. But there's also pressure to follow the crowd, to jump on with the bandwagon, so you end up with a mish-mash of outside influences and interior impulses, and it's dangerous to try and play armchair psychologist. Maybe, just maybe, amidst all those impulses, there are occasional disagreements with the Best Picture picture rulings because of genuine convictions about the artistic integrity of certain works.

But what do I know? I think the Academy has gotten it right maybe only a handful of times, so I'm clearly a hopeless contrarian.

(And, yep, THE BIG LEBOWSKI should have taken home the statue.)

#52 byline

byline

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 09:38 PM

(I think "South Park" nailed it when they revealed that the writers of "Family Guy" were specially-trained dolphins)

Manatees.

Posted Image

#53 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 09:47 PM

Some other ones.

I quite like the Die Another Day soundtrack. If Arnold dropped the electronics and made it orchestral, then it probably would be one of the strongest Bond scores.

Die Another Day should've ended with Bond and Moneypenny, and dropped the virtual reality thing. Bond kissing Moneypenny would've been the perfect end to James Bond volume 1. Although, as badly written as it is, I have a soft spot for the final scene. I think it's the music that does it for me.

Surrender is one of the best things Arnold has came up with.

#54 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 11:09 PM

Here's some of my own:

- Prisoner of Azkaban and Goblet of Fire are the two worst Harry Potter films, because they let down the plot of the series.

- Kung Pow! Enter the Fist, The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus, The Bank Job, Observe and Report, and the 2002 version of The Time Machine are all entertaining and underrated films, and deserve a second look.

- Now that Cuddy is gone, House is actually sort of getting good, again.

- 2001: A Space Odyssey is breathtakingly beautiful, but also achingly boring.

- James Kahn's novelization of Return of the Jedi is probably better than the finished film.

- Leigh Brackett's initial script for The Empire Strikes Back is quite an entertaining "might-have-been", and contains a lot of good ideas that should've been put to use in Jedi.

- Surprisingly enough, the film adaptation of Stephen King's Secret Window, Secret Garden is better than the book.

- Douglas Adams, not Shakespeare, is Britain's greatest writer.

- Superman II: The Richard Donner Cut is definitely better than the Lester cut, but that doesn't mean I don't like any of Lester's other work -- Help and A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum, in particular, are superb.

- Yellow Submarine is a stone cold classic.

- John Calley, CEO of MGM, forced GoldenEye to be half of what it might have been.

- Though I generally like it, Doonesbury can be kind of irritating, sometimes.

#55 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 01:09 AM

I never get excited when it is announced that they are remaking a classic movie.

I never get excited when they announce a sequel to a great movie that doesn't need a sequel.

------------------------

#56 Safari Suit

Safari Suit

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5099 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 06:41 PM

Show your workings to the class here boy.

It's not that I love Shakespeare, or don't love Douglas Adams, but his well ran dry pretty quickly in retrospect really, didn't it? Nothing he did afterwards ever really quite lived up to the first (radio) series of HHGTG.

But I would welcome any attempts to convince me otherwise :)

#57 00Twelve

00Twelve

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7706 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 06:22 AM

Why not.

LOST had a beautiful ending and it remains my favorite show.

TEMPLE OF DOOM feels more like RAIDERS than CRUSADE does.

INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS is better than PULP FICTION.

John Carpenter's best film is THE THING.

MUNICH is Spielberg's best movie since the 80s.

The zombie and vampire crazes are equally stupid.

THE INCREDIBLES just might be the best superhero movie ever made thus far.

THE ROYAL TENENBAUMS is funnier than anything ever made by Judd Apatow.

MAD MEN is the best currently-running drama on TV.

Henry Cavill's SUPERMAN suit is just fine without the red trunks.

That being said, the best SUPERMAN movie could only be set in the 1940s.

In Bond world....

Jeremy Brett should have played Bond.

I'm pretty much with Jim on QOS' editing. With the exception of the inexplicable physics of the boat chase climax, the editing works well.

MOONRAKER is a much more watchable Bond movie than FOR YOUR EYES ONLY.

GOLDENEYE is head and shoulders above the rest of Brosnan's Bond movies.

Pretty much all the other Bond movies are, too.

The elevator fight in DAF is Connery's second best, after FRWL.

Claiming that Daniel Craig is too short to be Bond is absolute rubbish.

#58 Safari Suit

Safari Suit

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5099 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 08:21 AM

It's wierd how a lot of these opinions don't seem remotely agsinst the grain to me. I'm sure some of my "unpopular" opions would strioke others the same way. I guess it's all a matter of experience and the perspective it creates.

#59 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 08:26 AM

I thought it was unpopular opinions the thread was after, not certifiable ones.

Anyway, it's Dickens.

#60 Major Tallon

Major Tallon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2107 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 12:57 PM

Anyway, it's Dickens.

Poor old Shakespeare. "Pipped" again.