68 replies to this topic

#31 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 08:59 PM

If you guys are saying that Die Another is a bad movie, then your also saying Diamonds Are Forever is a bad movie. All Die Another Day is basically a modern Diamonds Are Forever film, no real difference.

What?

If you guys are saying that Bryan Herbert is a troll, then you're also saying Mr.Zukovsky is a troll. All Mr.Zukovsky is is basically a modern Bryan Herbert, no real difference. Both have an affinity for the Maryland Terapins and both have a disdain for the English language (i.e., grammar and spelling).

#32 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 09:14 PM

What's a terapin?

#33 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 09:16 PM

What's a terapin?

A turtle, COCOA! Troll, yes he is basically the same.

#34 00 Brosnan

00 Brosnan

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 09:36 PM

Wait...what happened here?

#35 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 09:52 PM

Wait...what happened here?

This discussion is a metaphor for Die Another Day; both are absurd.

#36 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 10:31 PM

Sure, DAF is sophisticated AT TIMES, but it's also the movie where Blofeld dresses up in drag and Bond gives a wedgie to a homosexual. I agree its very similar to DAD - in terms of the weird changing gears and going from serious to absurd and back again. Still, both films are at least rarely dull.

#37 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 11:51 PM

Sure, DAF is sophisticated AT TIMES, but it's also the movie where Blofeld dresses up in drag and Bond gives a wedgie to a homosexual.

That's surreal farce in the vein of Orton - with a kinda Buster Keaton touch. It's still sophisticated, if only in the guile in which it's pulled off.

In comparison, the humour in DAD just feels clumsy and unintentional.

#38 Royal Dalton

Royal Dalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4542 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 01:41 AM

Diamonds Are Forever's not perfect. But there are loads of great lines in it, and it's great fun to watch with an audience.

Die Another Day's crap. But at least it doesn't pretend to be anything more than it is. I really like Brosnan in it, too. He's a much better Bond when he's on autopilot.

#39 00 Brosnan

00 Brosnan

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 02:37 AM

Diamonds Are Forever's not perfect. But there are loads of great lines in it, and it's great fun to watch with an audience.

Ugh, DAF is the only Bond film I have a hard time watching all the way through. It's so ridiculously cheesy in every aspect. The Villain...un-original and a complete joke. Bond Girl...total bimbo. The only decent aspect of the film is Connery and he looks out of shape and bored. Cross-dressing villains, implied homo-sexual henchmen who constantly finish each other's lame sayings, Williard Wyte, crazy ape-men...

Connery's 5 previous films defined cool. DAF is the worst film in the series (w/ the possible exception of AVTAK).

Die Another Day's crap. But at least it doesn't pretend to be anything more than it is. I really like Brosnan in it, too. He's a much better Bond when he's on autopilot.

Die Another Day isn't the best Bond film either, but at least it's not a complete cheese-fest. I agree with others in that some of the dialogue is lazy and some of the attempts at humor are the same, but overall the film comes across as slick, action-packed, and exciting. The PTS is awesome, Brosnan still looks great, the Aston Martin chase on the ice and in the palace is freakin' sweet, & while I didn't particular like Gustav Graves, Zao is a pretty interesting character.

Neither film is close to being in the top tier of the franchise, but DAF is complete cheese all the way around. At least Die Another Day (while having lazy dialogue and humor) comes across as exciting and slick.

#40 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 03:48 AM

That's surreal farce in the vein of Orton

Have you ever even read Orton? He'd do crossdressing, for sure, but not in such a dumb manner; he'd do it to turn the viewers' image of the man doing the crossdressing on its head -- so, how does Blofeld dressed like an old woman spending her pension money deviously upturn our image of him in any way?

It's absurd, and not in any Beckett-esque sort of way...

#41 George88

George88

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 90 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 08:59 AM

Woundingly bad film, Die Another Day. Still defeats me how a (OK, highly generalised) popular fan opinion has developed that until the Iceland bit starts, it's alright. It's not. It just gets worse.

#42 iBond

iBond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 10:23 AM

It's a watchable film. It is not my favorite film by Brosnan, but it certainly is watchable and it could have been a lot worse.

#43 Dekard77

Dekard77

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 01:37 PM

DAF may have had some structure problems, but it did have some great dialogue.

Agreed, something which is sorely missing in the new films. :angry:

#44 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 08:44 PM

That's surreal farce in the vein of Orton

Have you ever even read Orton?

I started with WHAT THE BUTLER SAW, and went on from there.

What's the matter Ernst? Your time of the month?

He'd do crossdressing, for sure, but not in such a dumb manner; he'd do it to turn the viewers' image of the man doing the crossdressing on its head -- so, how does Blofeld dressed like an old woman spending her pension money deviously upturn our image of him in any way?

Read the whole sentence and don't take individual clauses out of their context.

I never said it was exactly like a scene from Orton. I mentioned Buster Keaton for good reason.

Charles Gray's entire performance as Blofeld in DAF subverts the audience's image of the character. In that respect, yeah, it's Orton-esque.

It's absurd, and not in any Beckett-esque sort of way...

This is Bond. Absurdity and the benign bizarre are par of the course.

#45 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 09:34 PM

I mean, beyond his plays; his novels and screenplays (well, one of each, actually) really are good stuff, and interesting to analyze.

No, Sharky; just sick of being trampled upon.

Read the whole sentence and don't take individual clauses out of their context. I never said it was exactly like a scene from Orton. I mentioned Buster Keaton for good reason.

Keaton never crossdressed... and I don't recall a Confederate locomotive playing a part in any Bond film. ;)

Charles Gray's entire performance as Blofeld in DAF subverts the audience's image of the character. In that respect, yeah, it's Orton-esque.

I meant, subversion in a positive, funny light; not in the horribly off-key tone that would've made Peter Hunt cringe.

This is Bond. Absurdity and the benign bizarre are par for the course.

Perhaps like the two overly-cheery hostesses in Dr. No, but that worked; a snarling assassin who continually bungles the killing of one man and who smells "like a tart's handkerchief" does not.

Now, sit down and drink your cranberry juice.

#46 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 11:08 PM

I mean, beyond his plays; his novels and screenplays (well, one of each, actually) really are good stuff, and interesting to analyze.

I've read HEAD TO TO TOE, BETWEEN US GIRLS and UP AGAINST IT. Got any more suggestions? :)

No, Sharky; just sick of being trampled upon.

All I did was reply to dinovelvet's post.

Read the whole sentence and don't take individual clauses out of their context. I never said it was exactly like a scene from Orton. I mentioned Buster Keaton for good reason.

Keaton never crossdressed... and I don't recall a Confederate locomotive playing a part in any Bond film. ;)

Firetruck in AVTAK, no? What I meant was an admix of the two, along with Fleming, and several other inspirations.

I meant, subversion in a positive, funny light; not in the horribly off-key tone that would've made Peter Hunt cringe.

Now you're simply changing the goal posts. And it's that deliberately off-key atmosphere (almost like an HAMMER picture) that gives it its unique, eerie, quality. Fleming wasn't far off this when he characterised DR. NO and Blofeld in YOLT, with their odd cloths fetishes.

This is Bond. Absurdity and the benign bizarre are par for the course.

Perhaps like the two overly-cheery hostesses in Dr. No, but that worked; a snarling assassin who continually bungles the killing of one man and who smells "like a tart's handkerchief" does not.

Why? It works perfectly well in the confounds of a thriller-farce.

but overall the film comes across as slick, action-packed, and exciting.

Posted Image

I could say the same for MANHUNTERS.

#47 Garth007

Garth007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 598 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 02:27 AM

I always wondered how they built a space satilite Death ray , Launched it into space with no country questioning it. Also I always wondered why they made Die Another Day to begin with? some one had to know how bad it was going to be LOL

#48 Royal Dalton

Royal Dalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4542 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 03:26 AM

How does a guy go from being a North Korean lieutenant to a mysterious billionaire with a different face and a death ray satellite in one year?

God knows.

Perhaps the original script was more realistic. I remember after September 11th that there were reports EON arranged for a hasty rewrite of the script because of concern some parts of the script were too realistic or reminiscent of 9/11. Perhaps Purvis and Wade had envisioned a much more realistic film than we gave them credit for.

They changed it because the original ending featured a number of American marines being killed (in an assault on Moon's base, I think). Purvis and Wade are easy targets, but I think Tamahori's really the person who's mainly to blame for how this one turned out.

#49 Garth007

Garth007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 598 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 03:34 AM

I would of had a much more realistic side to it then what we got...... I've always loved the first half of the movie till the point halle berry came in then it went straight down from their. not just because of her but everything else with the movie was BAD. I did like the car chase on the ice, it was one of the only parts in the second half that i liked. :(

#50 Safari Suit

Safari Suit

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5099 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 10:51 AM

how does Blofeld dressed like an old woman spending her pension money deviously upturn our image of him in any way?

Er, how doesn't it? Or at least, how wouldn't it have in 1971?

#51 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 01:29 PM

I always wondered how they built a space satilite Death ray , Launched it into space with no country questioning it.

Excellent point. I wondered that myself. How does a guy go from being a North Korean lieutenant to a mysterious billionaire with a different face and a death ray satellite in one year?

Perhaps the original script was more realistic. I remember after September 11th that there were reports EON arranged for a hasty rewrite of the script because of concern some parts of the script were too realistic or reminiscent of 9/11. Perhaps Purvis and Wade had envisioned a much more realistic film than we gave them credit for.

Do we require DIE ANOTHER DAY to be realistic, though? Why are people seemingly holding it to higher standards of believability than something like THE SPY WHO LOVED ME or MOONRAKER?

#52 Mr.Zukovsky

Mr.Zukovsky

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 121 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 06:02 PM

If you guys are saying that Die Another is a bad movie, then your also saying Diamonds Are Forever is a bad movie. All Die Another Day is basically a modern Diamonds Are Forever film, no real difference.

What?

If you guys are saying that Bryan Herbert is a troll, then you're also saying Mr.Zukovsky is a troll. All Mr.Zukovsky is is basically a modern Bryan Herbert, no real difference. Both have an affinity for the Maryland Terapins and both have a disdain for the English language (i.e., grammar and spelling).

Hey Righty007 or Chris Wright, if anything I would say your the troll here. I minded my own business, not starting anything, and then you decided to chime in and put someone down for no reason in a derogatory fashion. Explain how I'm "unworthy" of the english language, because quite frankly that quip doesn't even make sense. Yeah like i get a [censored] about spelling correctly on a forums website hahahaha. Your a punk, who has no life and cries when the CBN website is down , and you always like to run your mouth. Why don't you act like you have some sort of human decency, and not like your 12. Seriously what the heck your problem? Why make fun of a great college or any college for that matter? Oh that's probably because you never went to college. I think it's sad your parents failed at teaching you proper etiquette.

Edited by Mr.Zukovsky, 02 June 2011 - 06:07 PM.

#53 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 06:16 PM

What?

Hey Righty007 or Chris Wright, if anything I would say your the troll here. I minded my own business, not starting anything, and then you decided to chime in and put someone down for no reason in a derogatory fashion. Explain how I'm "unworthy" of the english language, because quite frankly that quip doesn't even make sense. Yeah like i get a [censored] about spelling correctly on a forums website hahahaha. Your a punk, who has no life and cries when the CBN website is down , and you always like to run your mouth. Why don't you act like you have some sort of human decency, and not like your 12. Seriously what the heck your problem? Why make fun of a great college or any college for that matter? Oh that's probably because you never went to college. I think it's sad your parents failed at teaching you proper etiquette.

The internet.

Fab.

#54 Mr.Zukovsky

Mr.Zukovsky

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 121 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 06:24 PM

What?

The internet.

Fab.

Delicious, isn't Jim :)!

#55 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 06:47 PM

*You're.

#56 Mr.Zukovsky

Mr.Zukovsky

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 121 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 07:24 PM

Why don't you try putting that in a sentence.

#57 00 Brosnan

00 Brosnan

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 02:13 AM

**Pushes Panic button**

#58 jamie00007

jamie00007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 05:21 AM

Do we require DIE ANOTHER DAY to be realistic, though? Why are people seemingly holding it to higher standards of believability than something like THE SPY WHO LOVED ME or MOONRAKER?

Context. Those films were tongue-in-cheek, eyebrow-raising romps. DAD thinks that it's a serious thriller. With invisible cars and tsunami paragliding.

#59 Dekard77

Dekard77

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 09:48 AM

The middle part of the movie is weak. I can take the invisible car, the silly laser fight but the escaping the death ray of icarus to sailing on a tsunami and Halle Berry being extremely wooden hurt the movie. To the credit of the movie, the villains are solid. The best that Brosnan had during his tenure. I guess they were competing against XXX which is completely unwatchable today.

#60 00 Brosnan

00 Brosnan

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 07:19 PM

To the credit of the movie, the villains are solid. The best that Brosnan had during his tenure.

I didn't particularly like Gustav Graves & Miranda Frost wasn't developed enough in my opinion. However, Zao is probably the most interesting villain of the Brosnan era.

Elektra King was probably the most evil and sinister, Elliot Carver I liked as well b/c he brought a sort of comedic element to the film, but my favorite would have to be 006 as it was the most personal for Bond.