68 replies to this topic

#1 Miles Miservy

Miles Miservy

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 06:22 PM

I always wondered why Bond didn't get hypothermia while swimming in the freezing water beneath the ice.

#2 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 06:45 PM

Good question. I've always wondered how a car turned completely invisible.

#3 doublenoughtspy

doublenoughtspy

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4122 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 07:08 PM

Both good questions. I've always wondered how you can spend $1 million dollars on a CGI sequence and have it look like it was done with a sheet of acetate and a box of crayons.

#4 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 07:10 PM

I have always wondered....oh hell, never mind

#5 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 07:11 PM

Both good questions. I've always wondered how you can spend $1 million dollars on a CGI sequence and have it look like it was done with a sheet of acetate and a box of crayons.

Wow. :tup:

#6 mttvolcano

mttvolcano

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 396 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 09:45 PM

I always wondered why halle berry was in it.

#7 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 01:51 AM

I always wondered why Bond didn't get hypothermia while swimming in the freezing water beneath the ice.

But the part where, say, Bond drives an invisible Aston Martin around an ice castle that's being melted by a space death ray while being chased by an albino diamond-scarred henchman armed with a phallic battering ram passed the realism test for you?

#8 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 05:44 AM

This hard-hitting documentary just falls apart at that point. They lie and they lie and they lie. Die Another Day? Lie Another Day, more like. You've exposed a scandal.

I'd sue, if I were you.

#9 jamie00007

jamie00007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 08:26 AM

Has anyone formulated a working theory on how Bond can stop and start his heart at will yet?

#10 00 Brosnan

00 Brosnan

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 09:03 AM

But the part where, say, Bond drives an invisible Aston Martin around an ice castle that's being melted by a space death ray while being chased by an albino diamond-scarred henchman armed with a phallic battering ram passed the realism test for you?

Hey now that Aston Martin chase on the ice and through the ice palace was awesome. You can hear the engine of that Vanquish screaming...*blacks out*. Zao was a pretty interesting villain too.

The whole "space death ray" and "invisible" car elements were a little...too out there though.

#11 iBond

iBond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 04:45 PM

Hey now that Aston Martin chase on the ice and through the ice palace was awesome. You can hear the engine of that Vanquish screaming...

I very much enjoyed that scene was well. Something like the ice chase in TLD only to the full potential.

#12 Mr.Zukovsky

Mr.Zukovsky

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 121 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 06:25 PM

If you guys are saying that Die Another is a bad movie, then your also saying Diamonds Are Forever is a bad movie. All Die Another Day is basically a modern Diamonds Are Forever film, no real difference. Diamonds Are Forever was a pretty decent movie, I thought. Could of had a little more action, and maybe a decent car chase. Overall a good film.

Hey now that Aston Martin chase on the ice and through the ice palace was awesome. You can hear the engine of that Vanquish screaming...*blacks out*. Zao was a pretty interesting villain too.

The whole "space death ray" and "invisible" car elements were a little...too out there though.

Yes, I agree the Ice Palace Chase was pretty awesome. It's also a bond film, stop acting so suprised.

#13 volante

volante

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1926 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 07:25 PM

If you guys are saying that Die Another is a bad movie, then your also saying Diamonds Are Forever is a bad movie. All Die Another Day is basically a modern Diamonds Are Forever film, no real difference. Diamonds Are Forever was a pretty decent movie, I thought. Could of had a little more action, and maybe a decent car chase. Overall a good film.

Yes, I agree the Ice Palace Chase was pretty awesome. It's also a bond film, stop acting so suprised.

It's BOND - You were expecting something else?

#14 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 07:28 PM

If you guys are saying that Die Another is a bad movie, then your also saying Diamonds Are Forever is a bad movie. All Die Another Day is basically a modern Diamonds Are Forever film, no real difference.

Tell me, Does DIE ANOTHER DAY have Tom Mankeiwvitz, John Barry, Ken Adam, Chrles Gray, Sean Connery, Klaus Hergesheimer (G-Section), and Lana Wood's giant knockers? No.

It's BOND - You were expecting something else?

I expect some class, and good humour.

#15 iBond

iBond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 09:30 PM

...I expect some class, and good humour.

Um...

#16 00 Brosnan

00 Brosnan

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 03:48 AM

Hey now that Aston Martin chase on the ice and through the ice palace was awesome. You can hear the engine of that Vanquish screaming...

I very much enjoyed that scene was well. Something like the ice chase in TLD only to the full potential.

I think both were great action sequences. As I've said numerous times around here I love a good car chase and there aren't too many movies (there are a few classics out there) that do entertaining car chases better than Bond.

If you guys are saying that Die Another is a bad movie, then your also saying Diamonds Are Forever is a bad movie. All Die Another Day is basically a modern Diamonds Are Forever film, no real difference.

Personally, I think there is a big difference between the films. DAD isn't quite as cheesy and has some very slick, cool, and exciting moments throughout the film. DAF is almost entirely cheese. I'm not quite sure if AVTAK or DAF is my least liked Bond film, I'll have to watch them again sometime soon.

Tell me, Does DIE ANOTHER DAY have Tom Mankeiwvitz, John Barry, Ken Adam, Chrles Gray, Sean Connery, Klaus Hergesheimer (G-Section), and Lana Wood's giant knockers? No.

Don't care. Don't act like there aren't talented people around today.

#17 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 04:04 AM

Don't care. Don't act like there aren't talented people around today.

I never said that. Read it over again.

#18 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 04:13 AM

Um...

James Bond: Pity about your liver, sir. Unusually fine Solera. '51, I believe.
M: There is no year for sherry, 007.
James Bond: I was referring to the original vintage on which the sherry is based, sir. 1851, unmistakable.
Sir Donald Munger: Precisely.

Tiffany Case: [reading Bond's ID card planted on the deceased Franks] My God! You just killed James Bond!
James Bond: Is that who it was? Well just goes to show, no one's indestructible.

Blofeld: As La Rochefoucauld observed, "humility is the worst form of conceit." I do hold the winning hand.

Blofeld Double: You killed my only other double, I'm afraid. After his death, volunteers were understandably... rather scarce.
Blofeld: Such a pity. All that time and energy wasted, simply to provide you with one mock, heroic moment.

Such irony, black humour, wordplay, sophistication, farce, literary reference, and command of the English language, is entirely absent from DIE ANOTHER DAY.

#19 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 05:00 AM

DAF may have had some structure problems, but it did have some great dialogue.

#20 PlayItBogart

PlayItBogart

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 263 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 09:12 AM

I always wondered what happened to the messenger who told their dear leader that North Korea had acquired and subsequently lost a killer space death ray.

#21 Col. Sun

Col. Sun

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 427 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 02:50 PM

Um...

James Bond: I was referring to the original vintage on which the sherry is based, sir. 1851, unmistakable.

Tiffany Case: [reading Bond's ID card planted on the deceased Franks] My God! You just killed James Bond!
James Bond: Is that who it was? Well just goes to show, no one's indestructible.

Blofeld: As La Rochefoucauld observed, "humility is the worst form of conceit." I do hold the winning hand.

Blofeld Double: You killed my only other double, I'm afraid. After his death, volunteers were understandably... rather scarce.
Blofeld: Such a pity. All that time and energy wasted, simply to provide you with one mock, heroic moment.

Such irony, black humour, wordplay, sophistication, farce, literary reference, and command of the English language, is entirely absent from DIE ANOTHER DAY.

Totally agree. The attempt at sharp, witty dialogue in DAD when Bond first meets Jinx at the beach bar was so contrived and clumsy.

But the dial in CR is a million times better!

#22 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 10:38 PM

What?

#23 Binyamin

Binyamin

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1075 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 02:54 AM

Yo ma'ma.

#24 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 06:31 AM

Um...

Diamonds are Forever is a bit too relaxed for my tastes, and in that regard I do think DAD is better than it. But in the dialogue? Shark hit it on the head, Diamonds Are Forever has crackling dialogue that DAD can only dream of.

#25 Mr.Zukovsky

Mr.Zukovsky

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 121 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 06:25 PM

What?

You heard me COCOA! Plot line, yes it is basically the same.

Edited by Mr.Zukovsky, 27 May 2011 - 06:25 PM.

#26 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 06:47 PM

What?

You heard me COCOA! Plot line, yes it is basically the same.

Plot isn't everything. Actors, locations, cinematography, score, etc. all make or break a film. Case in point, "AVTAK" has just about the same plot as "GF". The big difference? "AVTAK" sucks.

#27 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 06:52 PM

That's a terrible line; it made me cringe when I first watched the movie. One man's "good taste" is another man's "chintzy, awful line".

#28 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 06:55 PM

That's a terrible line; it made me cringe when I first watched the movie. One man's "good taste" is another man's "chintzy, awful line".

Please explain.

#29 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 07:01 PM

Please explain.

It makes no sense; "no one's indestructible"? He's a man, not a moon buggy.

Besides, the whole concept of James Bond being famous (even for repeatedly not dying) is shot to hell; how can he be a successful secret agent if even a low-IQ diamond fence in Amsterdam knows him by name?

#30 doublenoughtspy

doublenoughtspy

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4122 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 07:18 PM

If you guys are saying that Die Another is a bad movie, then your also saying Diamonds Are Forever is a bad movie.

Yes. They are both lower tier Bond films.