63 replies to this topic

#61 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 02:30 AM

I don't understand this comment. Are you saying that the Bond movies had a more serious tone before TSWLM in 1977? Or what?

Yes I am. Yes they had humour and even laugh out loud moments. But Bond as a character essentially was never made fun of. Even in Diamonds when the overt humour started to really creep in. Bond as portrayed by Connery seemed to rise above it. It was Moore that essentially took fun of the character and from my point of view was disastrous. He was no longer cool and was a figure of fun that couldn't be taken seriously. Plus the really silly slapstick crept in. Things like the gondola scene from Moonraker. Double takes from drunks, pigeons etc. Jaws literally rising from situations that would kill anyone like some cartoon character, Tarzan yells and swings, really cringe making jokes. I could go on. Roger Moore destroyed that supremely cool character I grew up with in the 60's that’s why I resented his portrayal. I was glad to see the back of him.

I don't think Roger had any say in the direction of the movies. I think the film-makers did. And remember, a huge number of action movies had a comedic element to them between 1970 and 1989.

The tone of the Bond movies were just reflecting the kind of entertainment we had on TV at the time, like Chips and the A-Team. Even Superman went comedic in 1980, while Batman was purely a comical figure to me, based on watching the 60's TV series.

As the joke Quantum of Solace song by Joe Cornish states:-

"Sometimes I wish Roger Moore would come back,
With an underwater car or some kind of jetpack,
A hover-gondola and a Union Jack...

Forget it, mate, it's not the '80s!
He'd rather kick you in the face!
We've got a new Bond for the Noughties
Because the world's a TERRIBLE place!"

I haven't come across that song yet, probably just as well! :)

It was a comedy song. Adam and Joe are British comedians who took it upon themselves to write the theme to Quantum of Solace not long after the movie's title was announced. Joe's made fun of the title and how difficult it is to make anything rhyme with Solace, and also had a tongue-in-cheek swipe at the lack of humour and fun in the newer Bond movies. Both songs went down very well on here (Harmsway was in stitches) and it even had a thread to itself. Will have to bump it up for you.

It was all in good fun. Here is the thread -
http://debrief.commanderbond.net/topic/48325-adam-joes-qos-themes/page__pid__1161060__st__30#entry1161060

:tup:

#62 Miles Miservy

Miles Miservy

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 01:33 PM

By far one of my least favorite scenes in the series. Didn't ruin it for me, just annoyed me.

As someone else mentioned, too many lines and not funny ones at that. It makes Bond appear more smug than amusing or cool, IMO. It could have been a lot more effective with a classic Rog raised eyebrow.

By contrast, I love some of the scenes around it. I actually enjoy the Lawrence of Arabia moment as it gives an epic film an even more epic feel. It works much better than the Magnificent Seven theme in MR.

The scene works just fine. If nothing else, it was a cool. one-upmanship opportunity for Anya Amasova. What I don't understand is why 007 keeps trying to punch Jaws in the face (even in Moonraker). You'd think by now, he'd figure out that it wasn't the villain's weak spot.

#63 Colorshade

Colorshade

Cadet

• Crew
  • 15 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 01:16 AM

The worst scenes all come from the Moore films:

Starting with the worst:
-The double-taking pigeon in Moonraker makes a cheesy scene only worse;
-Tarzan, in Octopussy;
-The end of the van scene in the desert in TSWLM - wobbly wheels and silly music turning it into a Carry On movie.
-The fabulous loop the loop car stunt in TMWTGG, ruined by the slide whistle.

I agree with you, except for the thing about the van in TSWLM – I think it fits perfectly. I would change it for the Beach Boys soundtrack that plays during AVTAK.

Well, I'm going to have to disagree with you. Some of the Bond movies before TSMWLM struck me as something of a joke. Movies like GOLDFINGER, YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE, DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER, LIVE AND LET DIE and THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN GUN. Frankly, I consider THE SPY WHO LOVED ME to be one of Moore's better films and his best film from the 1970s. And I certainly don't consider one scene in which Bond seemed coolly nonchalant, while Jaws tear apart his getaway vehicle as a sign of the franchise's cartoonish trends. I've seen A LOT WORSE in other Moore and Connery films.

This. The scene doesn't destroy for me; it firmly establishes Moore as his own Bond. I get that it isn't "serious" enough for some people, but then you're going to have a real problem watching YOLT, or DAF.

#64 Ozzman313

Ozzman313

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 122 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 09:27 PM

When bond is in the Van with XXX he is laughing and not taking it seriously when jaws is trying to attack them. This ruins the spy who loved me and makes it the worst bond moore film.

While I don't care much for the scene in question myself, surely it is a bit much to say it alone makes the entire movie bad.

Are there any things in the movie you find to be positives? If so, surely they offset that one scene by a bit?

The 2nd half of the movie is really well done. after bond leaves the train is when the movie starts to be awesome. the 1st half is really boring with bond chasing jaws and acting like a comedian

I put forward the opposing view - that the first half of THE SPY WHO LOVED ME is largely stronger and more enjoyable than the second. Overall, I consider it a good outing throughout though.

The movie is essentially a better version of You Only Live Twice without all the outer-space and Japanese crap.