This scene ruins the whole film

63 replies to this topic

#1 bondfisher007

bondfisher007

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 36 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 06:55 PM

When bond is in the Van with XXX he is laughing and not taking it seriously when jaws is trying to attack them. This ruins the spy who loved me and makes it the worst bond moore film.

#2 Virgosy

Virgosy

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 09:17 PM

I agree. It discredits everything.

#3 Major Tallon

Major Tallon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2107 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 10:30 PM

I've never cared for it either.

#4 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 10:41 PM

I wouldn't say it ruined the entire movie.

#5 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 10:55 PM

Agreed. If there was any scene that ruined the credibility of a film featuring a seven foot henchman with metal teeth, a villain with an underwater base and giant boat that swallows submarines, and Bond detonating two nuclear warheads with no apparent fallout or after effects on the world, then this is it.

#6 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 01:55 AM

Posted Image

#7 Agent Leiter

Agent Leiter

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 160 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 02:37 AM

When bond is in the Van with XXX he is laughing and not taking it seriously when jaws is trying to attack them. This ruins the spy who loved me and makes it the worst bond moore film.

While I don't care much for the scene in question myself, surely it is a bit much to say it alone makes the entire movie bad.

Are there any things in the movie you find to be positives? If so, surely they offset that one scene by a bit?

#8 00Twelve

00Twelve

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7706 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 02:40 AM

On the other hand, there are Anya's legs in that black dress.

See? Everything evens out.

#9 elizabeth

elizabeth

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2285 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 04:57 AM

Posted Image

DEAD wrong.

#10 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 05:36 AM

To quote another Bond: "You've got to be joking."

dinovelvet - LOL! Cheers mate! :tup:

Posted Image

What he said.

#11 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 08:17 AM

It's probably my favourite Moore Bond scene. Got to love the high class look of disgust Moore gives Jaws, who is at the peak of his rage. Unfazed and unflappable against total bedlam, seeing the humour in such a scenario. I mean, who wouldn't want to be that cool in that situation? If I could, yes I would. But it's human nature to panic and feed adrenaline. But not with Moore Bond. Yin and yang, man!

#12 bondfisher007

bondfisher007

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 36 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 01:39 PM

While I don't care much for the scene in question myself, surely it is a bit much to say it alone makes the entire movie bad.

Are there any things in the movie you find to be positives? If so, surely they offset that one scene by a bit?

The 2nd half of the movie is really well done. after bond leaves the train is when the movie starts to be awesome. the 1st half is really boring with bond chasing jaws and acting like a comedian

#13 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 02:39 PM

The 2nd half of the movie is really well done. after bond leaves the train is when the movie starts to be awesome. the 1st half is really boring with bond chasing jaws and acting like a comedian

I put forward the opposing view - that the first half of THE SPY WHO LOVED ME is largely stronger and more enjoyable than the second. Overall, I consider it a good outing throughout though.

#14 jrcjohnny99

jrcjohnny99

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 03:56 PM

I put forward the opposing view - that the first half of THE SPY WHO LOVED ME is largely stronger and more enjoyable than the second. Overall, I consider it a good outing throughout though.

I think I agree, I think the first half of the movie is outstanding (much the same as MR); I think the Egypt scenes overall may be my favourite of the entire series.
Spy does use it's humor a little too obviously at times and it desperately misses a JB score, but overall, it's a terrific Bond movie and one of the 3 or 4 that alternate as my favourite.

If there's a single scene that 'almost' ruins a Bond movie for me, it would be the cross dressing Blofeld in DAF...

#15 Conlazmoodalbrocra

Conlazmoodalbrocra

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3546 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 04:04 PM

I think I agree, I think the first half of the movie is outstanding (much the same as MR); I think the Egypt scenes overall may be my favourite of the entire series.
Spy does use it's humor a little too obviously at times and it desperately misses a JB score, but overall, it's a terrific Bond movie and one of the 3 or 4 that alternate as my favourite.

If there's a single scene that 'almost' ruins a Bond movie for me, it would be the cross dressing Blofeld in DAF...

Totally agree about the cross-dressing Blofeld. I abhor that scene.

#16 Garth007

Garth007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 598 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 04:07 PM

I wouldn't say it ruined the whole movie. I would say it ruined the next 30 minutes of the movie, but thats it. Now Halle Berry ruined the rest of Die Another Day. lol

#17 Conlazmoodalbrocra

Conlazmoodalbrocra

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3546 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 04:17 PM

I wouldn't say it ruined the whole movie. I would say it ruined the next 30 minutes of the movie, but thats it. Now Halle Berry ruined the rest of Die Another Day. lol

I'd say the CGI bullet ruined it for me! :D

#18 hilly

hilly

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 04:22 PM

Ruins the entire film? Is this not a slight over-reaction?
I can't think of a Bond film that has been ruined by a single scene. Sure there are moments in a few of them that make me cringe a bit (the Moonraker gondola chase, the AVTAK fire engine chase, TMWTGG Kung Fu schoolgirls, the CGI ice surfing in DAD to name but a few)but I can't say as they make me throw up my hands in horror and switch the film off..

#19 Garth007

Garth007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 598 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 05:55 PM

I'd say the CGI bullet ruined it for me! :D

yeah that part was stupid to lol more i watch that movie tho the more i like the first half of the movie. that being said the second half of the movie was bad.

#20 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 07:24 PM

I can say that over the years and films, there certainly have been bits that made me roll my eyes here and there, but "ruined" the whole of the film as itself? Out of one minute?

As to TSWLM - I'll defend it to my dying day if need be. Not that I have to, but I'll reseve the right to "agree to disagree"

- Locations

- Ken Adam's set design of both Atlantis and the Liparus

- Anya's dress at the Mojave Club

- Jaws

- Fight with Sandor

- Lotus

- PTS

- Bond being cool in a tense moment

Bond: "He has Anya on there."

Carter: "I know it James. I'm sorry."

Bond: "I need to get her off."

Carter: "How?"

Bond: "The equipment Q sent for me."

If it's ruined for you for your own reasons, then just don't watch it again.

#21 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 07:29 PM

I think you mean Anya's cleavage at the Mojave Club ;)

#22 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 07:53 PM

I think you mean Anya's cleavage at the Mojave Club ;)

Don't forget those legs.

#23 David_M

David_M

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1064 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 08:14 PM

My only problem with this scene is that there are too many jokes: "Women drivers..." "Let's try reverse, that's backwards", "Can you play any other tunes?" Better if they'd just picked one and stuck with it; even for Roger this is too much yakkety-yak in too short a time.

Other than that, though, I like the scene. I seem to be in the minority for actually liking Roger's "too cool to worry" approach to Bond. I'm sure he figures that if and when Jaws gets around to pulling him out of the van, he'll figure some way out of trouble. In the meantime, no use flying into a panic.

#24 jrcjohnny99

jrcjohnny99

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 08:46 PM

I can say that over the years and films, there certainly have been bits that made me roll my eyes here and there, but "ruined" the whole of the film as itself? Out of one minute?

As to TSWLM - I'll defend it to my dying day if need be. Not that I have to, but I'll reseve the right to "agree to disagree"

- Locations

- Ken Adam's set design of both Atlantis and the Liparus

- Jaws

- Fight with Sandor

- Lotus

- PTS

- Bond being cool in a tense moment

Bond: "He has Anya on there."

Carter: "I know it James. I'm sorry."

Bond: "I need to get her off."

Carter: "How?"

Bond: "The equipment Q sent for me."

If it's ruined for you for your own reasons, then just don't watch it again.

I'd agree with Bryce on all the above and add in

Claude Renoir's wonderful cinematography

#25 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 08:54 PM

Other than that, though, I like the scene. I seem to be in the minority for actually liking Roger's "too cool to worry" approach to Bond. I'm sure he figures that if and when Jaws gets around to pulling him out of the van, he'll figure some way out of trouble. In the meantime, no use flying into a panic.

Exactly. That is JAMES BOND.

#26 Agent Sidewinder

Agent Sidewinder

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 48 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 09:31 PM

The Flemingists will probably disagree, though.

I think your enjoyment of this scene depends to a large degree on whether you like Moore-Bond or not. If you like him, you'll think it a great "cool" moment and a perfect example of his style of Bond (as I do). If you don't, well, you won't.

#27 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 09:56 PM

The Flemingists will probably disagree, though.

Movie James Bond. Fun James Bond.

Damn Flemingists.

#28 Napoleon Solo

Napoleon Solo

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1376 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 10:23 PM

To each their own on this. For me, I always thought the scene in question was to show Bond cool under pressure.

Exaggerated? Sure. Then again, any scene with Jaws was going to be exaggerated. On the Inside The Spy Who Loved Me documentary, Richard Kiel even recalls himself saying "that's absurd," when the character was described to him. And that's from an actor who played plenty of over-the-top characters before Spy.

#29 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 10:26 PM

I've always liked the scene. Probably one of the funniest moments in the entire series. "Let's try reverse, that's backwards." :D

#30 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 11:22 PM

By far one of my least favorite scenes in the series. Didn't ruin it for me, just annoyed me.

As someone else mentioned, too many lines and not funny ones at that. It makes Bond appear more smug than amusing or cool, IMO. It could have been a lot more effective with a classic Rog raised eyebrow.

By contrast, I love some of the scenes around it. I actually enjoy the Lawrence of Arabia moment as it gives an epic film an even more epic feel. It works much better than the Magnificent Seven theme in MR.