Daniel Craig Workout revisited

74 replies to this topic

#31 Liparus

Liparus

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 46 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 09:54 PM

Re: Liparus: That grotesque exaggeration of muscle isn't the goal of the fitness that's being discussed here, so I'm not sure what your point is honestly. That's a bit like posting a picture of a 70-pound anorexic and implying that nobody should ever diet. Functional, healthy fitness is the goal here.

James Bond isn't a bodybuilder. Daniel Craig is maybe your fantasy, but it's a perverted approach of 007. I prefer a man like Sean in Thunderball.
Basketball, baseball, running, are my idea of what the real sport is.

#32 Chief of SIS

Chief of SIS

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 10:03 PM

Re: Liparus: That grotesque exaggeration of muscle isn't the goal of the fitness that's being discussed here, so I'm not sure what your point is honestly. That's a bit like posting a picture of a 70-pound anorexic and implying that nobody should ever diet. Functional, healthy fitness is the goal here.

James Bond isn't a bodybuilder. Daniel Craig is maybe your fantasy, but it's a perverted approach of 007. I prefer a man like Sean in Thunderball.

I agree that Bond isn't a body builder but that's not what we're discussing here. QoS Bond wasn't ripped to the hilt by any means. Toned, definitely. Hulkish, no. But like it or not Sean's body wouldn't survive Bond today. The fitness level of 'Thunderball' Connery wouldn't be believable in what we have in Bond films today. Could you imagine that crane jump with his level of fitness? Point being, we're talking health here. Craig's muscle structure matches his Bond's needs and while most of us probably don't have those same needs by any means, we'd like to be in shape if ever that occurrence happens.

#33 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 10:22 PM

I think this guy looks a promising candidate for Craig's replacement as Bond, although he'd still need to bulk up a little more for the role. :P

Posted Image

In all seriousness, though, I gather that the building of muscle and strength training is an important part of general fitness, along with cardio, although I'd welcome correction on this point if I'm wrong.

#34 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 10:30 PM

I don't understand this. It's whey protein, in powder form. If you stop taking them and are hungry, eat something else. If you eat two servings of cottage cheese for a year and then stop eating cottage cheese.... nothing happens. Why would a protein shake be any different?

Yes, but there's a lot of difference between A. eating two servings of cottage cheese per year and then none after that, and B. ingesting an absolute [censored]load of protein in powder form on a daily basis for a long period and then stopping.

A. obviously won't make any difference, but B. will have consequences, surely? And it isn't about eating something else if you're hungry, since protein shakes don't subdue hunger pangs anyway.

What I'm driving at is that if you were to get used to taking a lot of extra protein onboard in the form of these shakes at regular intervals over a fair old length of time and then quit, there would surely be some kind of effect on your system and on your workouts. And it's not a question of just taking in that protein via normal food since it would be like trying to prepare and eat an extra great big dish of chicken or steak or something like that every day - the whole point about these shakes is that they pack an awful lot of protein into a simple and easily-consumed form.

#35 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 10:38 PM

The picture posted is not anything like Craig. People talk about how hulking Craig was in CR, get real, he was fit, but really not that big or hulking at all! There is a big difference between Craig/Bond and bodybuilder action heroes like Rambo or The Governator.

#36 Binyamin

Binyamin

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1075 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 02:13 AM

Yes, but there's a lot of difference between A. eating two servings of cottage cheese per year and then none after that, and B. ingesting an absolute [censored]load of protein in powder form on a daily basis for a long period and then stopping.

Where here is anybody talking about "ingesting an absolute [censored]load of protein in powder form?" I and others have one or two shakes, usually after a workout. It's not some magic pixie powder, it's simply more convenient than thawing a chicken breast or eating a bowl of cottage cheese.

but B. will have consequences, surely?

No. Again, why in the world would it? You'll have less daily protein than before. What "consequences" are you talking about?

And it isn't about eating something else if you're hungry, since protein shakes don't subdue hunger pangs anyway.

Actually, they do. That's why shakes such as Slim Fast are popular as breakfast or snack items for people trying to lose weight. A nice sized protein shake will hold you over for a few hours. Have you actually tried them before?

I don't understand why you are pushing this "protein shakes are bad" point so hard. This thread is people discussing how to get in shape like Daniel Craig as Bond. If you're not interested, why post?

Edited by Binyamin, 11 February 2011 - 04:43 AM.

#37 Achille Aubergine

Achille Aubergine

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 101 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 07:11 AM

Bodybuilding is mostly a good activity for the ego...Much more than a question of health.
When I was in the Marine Nationale few men had a body like yours. They were poor fighters in judo or boxing. Our Commander was approximately 5'11 for 132 lbs (he was tall for this era). He defeated guys like you just like that ! (don't make it personal... :) )

#38 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 08:48 AM

I agree that Bond isn't a body builder but that's not what we're discussing here. QoS Bond wasn't ripped to the hilt by any means. Toned, definitely. Hulkish, no. But like it or not Sean's body wouldn't survive Bond today. The fitness level of 'Thunderball' Connery wouldn't be believable in what we have in Bond films today. Could you imagine that crane jump with his level of fitness? Point being, we're talking health here. Craig's muscle structure matches his Bond's needs and while most of us probably don't have those same needs by any means, we'd like to be in shape if ever that occurrence happens.

Er, no.

What enables "Daniel Craig" or "James Bond" to run up and down cranes and across airfields is a team of stunt men, wires, harnesses, impact mattresses, retakes, pauses between takes, more takes, more pauses, and plenty of sitting around between sets ups. And then, of course, some brilliant editing.

Are you really suggesting Connery-Thunderball-Bond wouldn't have been capable of that???

Its all part of a filming schedule.

Or do you really think that just by being in the Daniel Craig-CR shape, James Bond really would have been able to run up a crane, jump from one to another, and then through a wall? All without really being out of breath. :o

#39 Goodnight

Goodnight

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1917 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 01:11 PM

The picture posted is not anything like Craig. People talk about how hulking Craig was in CR, get real, he was fit, but really not that big or hulking at all! There is a big difference between Craig/Bond and bodybuilder action heroes like Rambo or The Governator.

Jaguar is spot on! Plus That kind of body makes me want to vomit :S He probably injects himself with so much testosterone that his body no longer produces it naturally and he is therefore infertile.

The only thing that annoys me with protein shakes is some individuals attitudes towards them. Some like to believe that supplements will 'do all the work for them' but alongside working out they are only a small perecentage of it all, I hope you understand my meaning here :)

I am a keen gym goer myself, but I don't use, never have used, and never will use any supplements. I don't wish to end up looking like one of those freaky female bodybuilders.

Binyamin - Congralutions on your physique young man, you obviously work very hard, good for you. I hope you don't mind me saying so. :)

I don't understand why other posters seem to having a pop at you.......jealousy perhaps?

#40 Binyamin

Binyamin

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1075 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 02:20 PM

Binyamin - Congralutions on your physique young man, you obviously work very hard, good for you. I hope you don't mind me saying so. :)

I don't understand why other posters seem to having a pop at you.......jealousy perhaps?

Thank you, Goodnight. ;)

#41 Binyamin

Binyamin

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1075 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 02:28 PM

When I was in the Marine Nationale few men had a body like yours. They were poor fighters in judo or boxing. Our Commander was approximately 5'11 for 132 lbs (he was tall for this era). He defeated guys like you just like that ! (don't make it personal... :) )

I don't understand. You're saying that it's useless to be in shape and have muscle because you saw a skinny guy win a fight once?

Also, since when am I a bodybuilder? Nobody on this thread was talking about bodybuilding until Liparus posted his grotesque image. I run, swim, rock climb, train Mixed Martial Arts, Jiu Jitsu, Muay Thai.... and this makes me lose fights, how exactly?

#42 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 03:46 PM

Where here is anybody talking about "ingesting an absolute [censored]load of protein in powder form?" I and others have one or two shakes, usually after a workout. It's not some magic pixie powder, it's simply more convenient than thawing a chicken breast or eating a bowl of cottage cheese.

but B. will have consequences, surely?

No. Again, why in the world would it? You'll have less daily protein than before. What "consequences" are you talking about?

And it isn't about eating something else if you're hungry, since protein shakes don't subdue hunger pangs anyway.

Actually, they do. That's why shakes such as Slim Fast are popular as breakfast or snack items for people trying to lose weight. A nice sized protein shake will hold you over for a few hours. Have you actually tried them before?

I don't understand why you are pushing this "protein shakes are bad" point so hard. This thread is people discussing how to get in shape like Daniel Craig as Bond. If you're not interested, why post?

Firstly, I am interested. That is why I am posting in this thread. You may be pleased to know that your post a few years ago about the "Daniel Craig workout" was one of the things that motivated me to join a gym and start trying to get in shape.

Almost four years on, I can honestly say that this was one of the best decisions I have ever made - if anything, the boost in terms of mental wellbeing that has come from taking up exercise (after leaving school in the early 1990s I'd done practically no exercise whatsoever, and hadn't exactly been a star athlete at school, either) has been even greater and more rewarding than the physical transformation. My physique does not resemble that of Daniel Craig, but then only Daniel Craig can be Daniel Craig. When exercising, I simply strive to do my best and be the best me that I can be.

With regard to shakes, yes, I have tried them, and no, I am not pushing a "protein shakes are bad" agenda. I simply asked what I felt was a perfectly reasonable question, and I'm accused not only of being anti-shakes but also, bizarrely, of not being interested in getting in shape.

I tend to go to the gym three or four times a week. I mostly exercise with weights (and also do crunches, pressups, pullups, etc.), but also try to do one good long run each week for at least half an hour. Prior to and immediately after my workouts I use a carbohydrates and protein shake containing things like Glutamine and Creapure, and before bed I drink a shake consisting of various kinds of protein. I use this stuff not to replace a healthy and balanced diet, but to supplement it (and in my experience they do not subdue hunger).

I've been doing this for about a year now, and I can't say for sure whether it's having all that much of an effect, albeit that I (sometimes) seem to be recovering more quickly after workouts and experiencing less soreness.

#43 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 04:04 PM

Bodybuilding is mostly a good activity for the ego...Much more than a question of health.

To a certain extent, yes there is ego involved in body building and/or having a fit physique. Of course there is also ego involved in combing your hair, wearing a nice shirt, wearing a nice watch even winning a game of pool. There is ego involved in almost everthing we do. I would not put down health concerns with being in shape. Having a reasonable muscular frame helps burn calories, help physical endurance and help prevent injury. Do I like having a good physique and the look of bing in shape (nobody is going to mistake me for a steroid using bodybuilder like in that picture)? yes. I also like that on days when I spend part of the morning in the gym that I have more energy throughout the day and feel better. I do a mix of resistance training and cardio 3-5 times a week and I have not had a sick day in over 3 years where people I know who do not work out seem to catch every cold or virus that goes around.

I've been doing this for about a year now, and I can't say for sure whether it's having all that much of an effect, albeit that I (sometimes) seem to be recovering more quickly after workouts and experiencing less soreness.

Bingo, right there, the protein shake helps speed recovery. As far as what effects suddenly not drinking a protein shake would have on your body would all depend on your diet. If you are eating additional high protein foods to take the place of a protein shake you would not notice that much difference at all (food, being slower digesting might just mean a little slower recovery). If you did not supplement the shakes with food, you might notice muscle building a more slowly and recovery taking longer.

#44 Binyamin

Binyamin

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1075 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 04:18 PM

Loomis --

It seemed you were implying that protein shakes are unhealthy and you wrote that it would cause "consequences" if one stopped taking them. If I mis-read what your point is, I apologize.

#45 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 07:21 PM

That's cool. I know I didn't word my question very well, so sorry for any confusion.

I should add that, in terms of body type, I'm an ectomorph (which means, for those who don't know, someone who's naturally quite skinny and finds it difficult to put on either muscle or fat), and my trainer has advised me to, and I quote, "eat like a horse" if I want to make any muscle gains (and also cut out my running, which I don't want to do, as I love running). I do eat a fair amount, but really putting away the food is something that I'd find a major hassle, so this is partly why I turned to the shakes - another reason is that, at 36, I figure I'm not as young as I used to be and need some "help".

#46 smudge76

smudge76

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 153 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 09:59 PM

Not sure what your getting at with this comment. As a former Paratrooper i have served with men of all sizes and just because a lad had bit of muscle did not make them a poor boxer. i have boxed at a very high level and if that was true then likes of David Haye,Tyson,Roy Jones may have not had the sucess they had and have you seen the physique of some international judo players ?? I can only assume you are talking about professional competition bodybuilders which if you are i think you on the wrong thread mate.
Daniel Craig was not massive in CR far from it, he just want the perception a certain look. And on another note one my best mates who serves in UKSF is massive along with lot of them and he still boxes and is in the cage and trust me he would out last you in a fight anyday.

In ref to protein shakes its there to supplement a proper weight training programme. Reason is its hard to find right amount of protein in many foods today so those who train hard and need protein supplement this. There would be no bad side affects if you suddenly decide to not take it. I have done that many times before and had non.
All i can suggest is if you going to train get a proper programme made up and have a goal. If you get bored change it and that goes for weights , cardio, sports. Enjoy it and yes ego comes into it about having pride in way you look. Anyone can sit on backside and just get fat.

#47 Binyamin

Binyamin

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1075 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 03:12 AM

Well said, sir.

#48 Chief of SIS

Chief of SIS

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 03:42 AM

I concur. Nailed it.

#49 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 06:34 AM

yes, what they said.

#50 Richard Henderson

Richard Henderson

Cadet

• Crew
  • 17 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 08:00 PM

Not sure what your getting at with this comment. As a former Paratrooper i have served with men of all sizes and just because a lad had bit of muscle did not make them a poor boxer. i have boxed at a very high level and if that was true then likes of David Haye,Tyson,Roy Jones may have not had the sucess they had and have you seen the physique of some international judo players ?? I can only assume you are talking about professional competition bodybuilders which if you are i think you on the wrong thread mate.
Daniel Craig was not massive in CR far from it, he just want the perception a certain look. And on another note one my best mates who serves in UKSF is massive along with lot of them and he still boxes and is in the cage and trust me he would out last you in a fight anyday.

In ref to protein shakes its there to supplement a proper weight training programme. Reason is its hard to find right amount of protein in many foods today so those who train hard and need protein supplement this. There would be no bad side affects if you suddenly decide to not take it. I have done that many times before and had non.
All i can suggest is if you going to train get a proper programme made up and have a goal. If you get bored change it and that goes for weights , cardio, sports. Enjoy it and yes ego comes into it about having pride in way you look. Anyone can sit on backside and just get fat.

Well, honestly, I'm a former Lieutenant in the Army. We used to choose men like AA had describe for our special units. An overbuild body is a problem for most of our exercices, and we didn't need men with an obvious "military type", especially for our guys who have to work directly in contact with the population for retrieving "information" in the shadow...

#51 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 11:18 PM

Well, honestly, I'm a former Lieutenant in the Army. We used to choose men like AA had describe for our special units. An overbuild body is a problem for most of our exercices, and we didn't need men with an obvious "military type", especially for our guys who have to work directly in contact with the population for retrieving "information" in the shadow...

I certainly would not call Binyamin or even Daniel Crag as "overbuilt", in fact Binyamin looks very lean and athletic. I would also guess that Craig in CR was under 200lbs. I don't understand why people keep talking like Craig is built like Lou Ferrigno, Arnold or Sly Stallone!!!

#52 smudge76

smudge76

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 153 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 11:54 PM

Not been funny but your claiming to be SF or member of another specıalıst unit in an open forum like this. OPSEC spring to mind especially in your role. By way did it not come down to who passed the cse not who looked skinny. Mate Brit SF lads i have seen come in all shapes and sizes never ever have i known a SF unit to choose its guys on build. So what unit is this your on about then ??

#53 smudge76

smudge76

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 153 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 12:02 AM

Richard what army did you serve with ??

#54 Binyamin

Binyamin

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1075 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 06:19 PM

No response. It's always easier to talk big than it is to back it up....

#55 smudge76

smudge76

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 153 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 10:20 PM

No response. It's always easier to talk big than it is to back it up....

Very true. Very strange comment for an ex Lt in military who has spent time with SF units and then post it all over the net. I have a felling Henderson and AA are one in the same.
Binyamin glad the workout worked out for you. I noticed it incorporates several power moves such as C&J and pull ups. Which crossover well to real time power.

I think the way Daniel Craig portrays 007 in both CR and QoS is very well done and he has made effort to look physically fit for the role. Not sure why some posters are slating the way he looks as he is no where near looking like a bodybuilder. More functional muscle for his job. At the end of the day if you run, tab, lift weight, Box do MMA etc your body will look different.
Good to hear it helps people aswell get into the fitness side of life. Who says 007 is not good for anything

#56 Richard Henderson

Richard Henderson

Cadet

• Crew
  • 17 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 12:11 PM

Smudge76, I send a PM to you about your question.
Feel free to post it here.

Posted Image

Edited by Richard Henderson, 15 February 2011 - 12:23 PM.

#57 Liparus

Liparus

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 46 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 12:13 PM

Thank you, Goodnight. ;)

Love is in the air !

#58 smudge76

smudge76

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 153 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 03:31 PM

Posted Image

I cannot re post on here before the watershed Richard .................... thats private between me and you. ha ha nice pic by way

#59 Binyamin

Binyamin

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1075 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 03:46 PM

Posted Image

A Typhoon driver, no less. Cheers sir. You understand the skepticism of somebody talking about "special units" and all that without backing it up, I hope. Stay safe and watch your six.

#60 Richard Henderson

Richard Henderson

Cadet

• Crew
  • 17 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 04:11 PM

A Typhoon driver, no less. Cheers sir. You understand the skepticism of somebody talking about "special units" and all that without backing it up, I hope. Stay safe and watch your six.

Of course, no offense but I haven't had enough time to respond quickly that some people had taken me for a fraud.
The plane is a Rafale by Dassault. The Typhoon is its direct competitor.