421 replies to this topic

#31 SamuelKevlar

SamuelKevlar

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 836 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 03:26 AM

I have no particular interest in Superman, and based on the two films of his I've seen Snyder is only as good (Watchmen) or otherwise (300) as his source material. But I may check this out on the strength of Henry Cavill alone. He was/is one of my top Bond 7 choices, and I'm not convinced that, one iconic role will put him out of the running completely. Especially as they're likely to go the Moore/Brosnan route after the grim style of Craig, and Cavill would suit that better than, for instance, Tom Hardy. Christian Bale has been in both Batman and Terminator. Halle Berry has been an X-Man, a Bond girl, and a bastardised Catwoman. Ryan Reynolds and Chris Evans have at least two superheroes each. And so on. Of course, this is provided that this is a one-off or non-starter a la Superman Returns and does not end up a long-running series like Wolverine in the X-Men series. Incidentally, Hugh Jackman himself starred in an abortive franchise, Van Helsing. Doing one Superman film may actually be good for Cavill's Bond chances - it puts his name out there and proves he can do action.

#32 OmarB

OmarB

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1151 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 04:16 AM

A bit surprising but I'll bite being the hardcore DC guy I am I won't turn my nose up at the choice even if he's not American.

Brandon to me is Superman, he's got it all. But I will take a wait and see approach because though I may not agree with the choice I do love Superman.

#33 Cyclone49

Cyclone49

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 63 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 04:51 AM

Yeah, whether he still remains in the running for Bond 7 really depends on whether this Superman film flops or leads into a franchise. If it is indeed a failure, it will most likely be all but forgotten by the time Craig leaves (unless it does spectacularly badly), and I can't see that it would effect his chances that much. But, if it's a huge success (which inevitable means sequel after sequel), then, no, I can't see there being much chance of him being Bond as well.

#34 Cody

Cody

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1393 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 06:14 AM

Wow, I've read complaints about Cavill that were like they were copy/pasted from the "Craig not Bond" days, they're the exact same things... Too short, thinning air, "doesn't make me want to be the character", "women I've shown his picture to aren't impressed"... Funny to see.

#35 DR76

DR76

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1673 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 06:59 AM

Hmmm . . . I think they should have stuck with Brandon Routh. The problem with "SUPERMAN RETURNS" was the script, not the lead actor.

Henry Cavill as Superman? I'm a fan of his, but I don't see it.

#36 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 01:24 PM

I know that, but Superman is supposed to be American; Batman could be any nationality, but Superman needs an American actor behind it... otherwise, he'd be fighting for "tea, crumpets, and a whole lot of bollocks, me love!". :P

Nah; Superman's an illegal immigrant! He even adopts a false name to be accepted as an American! ;) Batman's far more American than he is!

Seriously though, I can see why some people would prefer a proper American to play him. I'm sure there'll be quite a few columns in the US press about all that, but it's all publicity, isn't it! :)

#37 Safari Suit

Safari Suit

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5099 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 02:00 PM

It's not going to be a [censored]ing origin story is it?

I wasn't nuts about SR but I kind of would have liked to have seen where they would have gone with another film. Still, I guess they've got to be pretty ruthless about films that are costing in excess of $200million

I know - how about a boycott site! Those are always successful. www.cavillnotsuperman.com is probably available :D

I think you're still going to be telling varitations on that gag in your retirement home ;)

#38 Royal Dalton

Royal Dalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4542 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 03:10 PM

Good for Cavill. I hope they shoot the studio stuff at Pinewood.

#39 DR76

DR76

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1673 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 04:13 PM

Well seeing as America's most recent contribution to superheroism was to cast Seth Rogen as the Green Hornet, bring on the Brits.

Seth Rogen was a hell of a lot more interesting as the Green Hornet than Van Williams. As for your message to bring on the "Brits", at least bring on someone who can do a decent American accent - like Christian Bale.

#40 DR76

DR76

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1673 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 07:33 PM

If anything, Routh will be to Superman what Dalton was to Bond: good actor, but in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I cannot agree with this assessment of both Routh as Superman and Dalton as Bond. Dalton was at the right place for the period he portrayed as Bond. Unfortunately, it took movie goers to appreciate what he was trying to do or realize that his tenure as Bond eventually ushered in the era of angst-ridden spies and other fictional heroes.

As for Routh, he simply had the bad luck to be in a movie, in which the director and writers couldn't decide whether it was a remake of 1978's "SUPERMAN: THE MOVIE" or a sequel to 1981's "SUPERMAN II". The script was at fault, not the actor. But the actor received most of the blame.

#41 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 07:37 PM

As for Routh, he simply had the bad luck to be in a movie, in which the director and writers couldn't decide whether it was a remake of 1978's "SUPERMAN: THE MOVIE" or a sequel to 1981's "SUPERMAN II". The script was at fault, not the actor. But the actor received most of the blame.

I don't think I've seen anyone blame Routh for Returns' faults. He was generally received as a good Superman.

#42 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 10:20 PM

And Brandon Routh is now George Lazenby.

Not really. OHMSS was a great Bond film. SR was a mess with some good parts here and there.

Too bad. I liked Routh as Supes. He was perfect. funny, Batman, Spiderman and now Superman are played by brits! No wonder our economy is in ruins...outsourcing! ;)

#43 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 11:54 PM

And Brandon Routh is now George Lazenby.

More like Timothy Dalton, as they both later played villains on Chuck :D

#44 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 11:10 AM

What? :o

The all-American Superman... played by a Brit?

No. No thank you; think I'll stay away... :S

Oh, come on, Mr Blofeld, we've had to put up with Americans playing our British heroes.

A bit surprising but I'll bite being the hardcore DC guy I am I won't turn my nose up at the choice even if he's not American.

Brandon to me is Superman, he's got it all. But I will take a wait and see approach because though I may not agree with the choice I do love Superman.

Christopher Reeve is Superman and always will be.

"What about George Reeves?"

Shut up, Dad!

#45 DR76

DR76

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1673 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 09:02 PM

I have no particular interest in Superman, and based on the two films of his I've seen Snyder is only as good (Watchmen) or otherwise (300) as his source material.

Wait a minute. The director of the new Superman movie was the same guy who directed "300" and "WATCHMEN" . . . two movies I cannot stand? This doesn't look good.

#46 killkenny kid

killkenny kid

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6607 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 08:20 PM

Good for Cavill, I can't wait. :tup:

#47 Gabe Vieira

Gabe Vieira

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3873 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 08:42 PM

Zach Snyder? Count me out. I hate that man. So over-rated.

#48 Virgosy

Virgosy

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 10:11 PM

Tonight on a French television channel there was Superman (1978), with Christopher Reeve. It's a movie I've seen many times in my childish. And damn ! How wonderful Reeve was. Nobody can replace him.

#49 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 04:25 PM

No one could ever replace Chris Reeve, which is why Superman Returns flopped. If they stick to the comics-Rebirth, Geoff John's Superman Origins and J Mike Straczynsky's Superman Earth One are great stories to pull from. Batman Begins tapped Year One and the Dark Knight tapped the Killing Joke. As a DC fan, I love Marvel as well, but the DC characters hold my attention a bit more. I hope Cavill is a great Superman, but lets get a great Lois, Lex, Perry and Jimmy to support him. I am optimistic this will be a good movie.

#50 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 10:21 PM

No one could ever replace Chris Reeve, which is why Superman Returns flopped.

Well one problem is they did the George Lazenby approach with SR. They got a Christopher Reeve clone who did not have quite the talent of Reeve, and had him imitate Reeve (much more than they had Laz copy Connery). They should have hired a talented actor and let them give their own spin on Superman instead of trying to capture what made the Reeve movies in 78 and 80 so popular.

#51 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 02:52 PM

No one could ever replace Chris Reeve, which is why Superman Returns flopped. If they stick to the comics-Rebirth, Geoff John's Superman Origins and J Mike Straczynsky's Superman Earth One are great stories to pull from. Batman Begins tapped Year One and the Dark Knight tapped the Killing Joke. As a DC fan, I love Marvel as well, but the DC characters hold my attention a bit more. I hope Cavill is a great Superman, but lets get a great Lois, Lex, Perry and Jimmy to support him. I am optimistic this will be a good movie.

In what respect did the movie flop? I mean, it did make $400 million dollars at the box office, not to mention whatever it earned in the home media markets, which shows there was substantial interest in the property.

I *get* some of the disappointment with the film (as I have some of my criticisms), but I thought the film was more or less an excellent way to restart the series and to serve as a launching point for further films. I believe that was what was intended all along, and yet somehow, for some reason(s), WB got cold feet and decided to abandon the entire project for what appears to be a complete reboot of the series.

And I totally disagree with your assessment that we need a "great" Lois, Jimmy, Perry, and Lex. Lex and Lois as storylines have been done to death. Time to bring in a fresh set of villains and love interest, if any, for a while.

It flopped b/c you had talented actors doing the same roles as Reeve, Hackman & Kidder. It went to the $5 DVD bin quickly, and was a continuation of the Donner Films ( I include his good cut of Superman 2). It lost money in the US but did well in foreign markets, I get that. IMO you can't have a good Superman movie without Lex Luthor being a bad guy is some form, whether or not he is using another villain like Parasite or Metallo to do his dirty work. While at the Daily Planet Clark needs good interaction with Lois, Perry and Jimmy to help move the story along. Lois is and always has been the main love interest and always will be. Lana Lang has been done on SMallville, Lori Lemaris would be interesting but no average moviegoer knows Lori Lemaris (who is a mermaid btw for those not familiar with Superman Comics) so Lois needs to be the romantic interest, especially if this is going to be a film that is a reboot. If you have a non Lex villain (Braniac would be good, but Lex still has to have some way of controlling him), or a 'new' love interest you will alienate the hardcore fans and not really bring in anyone new to see a Superman they are unfamiliar with. Not that your ideas aren't bad, it would do better for a sequal.

#52 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 06:53 PM

This is great news!

Amy Adams is Lois Lane in Zack Snyder's 'Superman' Reboot

#53 Safari Suit

Safari Suit

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5099 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 08:09 PM

That is good casting. Kevin Costner as whatsit (Jonathan?) Clark intrigues me too

#54 DR76

DR76

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1673 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 06:15 AM

No one could ever replace Chris Reeve, which is why Superman Returns flopped.

"SUPERMAN RETURNS" flopped because Bryan Singer had spent too much money on its production. It earned a lot of money at the box office. But due to the film's cost, it wasn't enough for the studio to make a profit. That's the main reason why it "flopped". Mind you, the film had its problems, but moviegoers lining up at the box office to see it wasn't one of them.

Yes, Chris Reeve did a great job as Superman. So did George Reeves, Dean Cain and Tom Welling. As far as I'm concerned.

#55 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 10:18 PM

This is great news!

Amy Adams is Lois Lane in Zack Snyder's 'Superman' Reboot

Just an FYI she appeared in a 1st or 2nd season episode of SMallville. She played a chunky gal who slimmed down when drinking kryptonite infused smoothies, and she went a bit cannibal. Her character dated Pete Ross.

I like the choice, as I had her, Kate Beckinsale and Jessica Biel as my top 3 choices for Lois Lane. In the John Byrne Superman reboot comic Man of Steel, he made Lois a redhead (closer to auburn hair color). Check it out, you can find it cheap in a local comic store or on Amazon.

#56 Stainless Steel Teeth INC

Stainless Steel Teeth INC

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 145 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 11:09 PM

I'm not the biggest fan of 'Superman Returns' and feel it's flaws outweigh the positives but Singer can't be held totally responsible for the excessive budget (estimated to be $270 million). A significant portion was offset against the production costs and 'pay or play contracts' of the previous attempts to make a Superman movie since the early 1990's including one that was to have starred Nicolas Cage.

#57 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 03:24 AM

Michael Shannon is General Zod! I love this cast so far!

#58 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 06:20 AM

Michael Shannon is General Zod! I love this cast so far!

That's an inspired choice, though I was secretly hoping Michael Shannon would play Jaws in a future Bond film :)

#59 killkenny kid

killkenny kid

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6607 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 02:39 PM

Attached File  manofsteelsupermanbig.jpg   205.94KB   63 downloads

#60 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 02:50 PM

I really want to like it... but I don´t. The costume looks too bleached out and fabricated like the Batman-suit. The hair is... big. I don´t see eyebrows but that can be part of the lighting.

Well... still hoping that this one will turn out good.