772 replies to this topic

#31 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 10:31 PM

We'll have to see who t has in mind for Honey before we decide to change her heritage.

I have an interesting casting idea in mind for Pussy Galore when we get to "GF", though it might be a controversial choice.

I'm still debating between about 5-6 choices I've come up with. I'm not sure it really matters what Ryder's nationality is. I dont remember there being too much made about it in the film, and she's a fairly minor character in the grand scheme of the original film.

IIRC, she was orphaned as a child, so if we want to use a British or American actress, we could say that she was born there but had to live with relatives in South Africa later, etc.

#32 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 10:43 PM

Speaking of DAD territory, how about this actor as Doctor No? ;)

Hmm...not sure we need to go the Joe Don Baker recycling route quite just yet! But in the interests of making Dr.No a bit older and incorporating the Vela Incident into his biography, I have rewritten his origin a bit :

Hyun-woo No was a top North Korean scientist with a brilliant mind who was appointed the chief scientific advisor to the NK government while still a student at Pyongyang University of Science and Technology. However, frustrated by his country's backward policies and lack of resources, he defected to South Korea and searched for a country where his talents could be more useful. He agreed to work for Norway on several projects, in return for which, he would be given full use of Bouvet Island as his private residence.
During an unknown experiment on the island, the Vela Incident occurred in 1979, which resulted in Dr.No losing both of his arms. He spent the next decade developing the world's first fully working cybernetic arms, which he now uses. As soon as he was finished, he handed over all rights to mass-producing the arms to Norway in return for full ownership of Bouvet Island where he now resides, rumored to be working on a top secret new project. Dr.No is now approximately 55 years old. (We can actually still use a younger actor like the guy I suggested, but say he's 55 anyway, which would add to Dr.No's mystique by having him look younger than he really is - all those years on the island just drinking broth (like he does in the novel) have kept him remarkably well preserved!)

#33 terminus

terminus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 11:10 PM

I'd suggest Mark Dacascos as Doctor No - he's of mixed Phillipino, Spanish and Chinese ancestry, so he fits the ethnicity we're looking for. He's 46 at present, though - though he could play with the 'well preserved' angle that dino has just suggested.

#34 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 11:41 PM

I'd suggest Mark Dacascos as Doctor No - he's of mixed Phillipino, Spanish and Chinese ancestry, so he fits the ethnicity we're looking for. He's 46 at present, though - though he could play with the 'well preserved' angle that dino has just suggested.

In looking at him on the imdb, I noticed he'd been on Hawaii 5-0, which immediately made me think of...Daniel Dae Kim :

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0196654/

Look at that imdb photo! Can you imagine him glaring at Craig across the dinner table, or what?

#35 terminus

terminus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 11:50 PM

Admittedly it was Hawaii 5-0 that made me think of him - he's playing the 'Big Bad', 'Wo Fat' in that.

#36 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 12:00 AM

Too young; Doctor No may be "well-preserved", but he's not that well-preserved... :rolleyes:

#37 terminus

terminus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 12:05 AM

Too young; Doctor No may be "well-preserved", but he's not that well-preserved... :rolleyes:

Not sure what you mean by that - if Julius No is supposed to be in his mid-fifties, then I'd totally buy Dacascos in the role. I might struggle a bit more with Dae Kim, as he isn't as lined in the face as Dacascos, but I wouldn't say either of them deserve eye rolling.

Now if someone had suggested Harry Shum Jr, I might have rolled my eyes.

#38 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 12:47 AM

I was responding to dinovelvet's suggestion of Dae Kim, terminus, not your suggestion; my apologies for not clarifying. :redface:

#39 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 01:50 AM

In the film, Dr. No was attempting to "topple" missiles by sending them off-course with radio waves, yes?

In the remake, perhaps he could be attempting to interfere with spy satellites. We could draw on the Vela Incident, where a satellite over the South Atlantic registered a "double flash" of light synonymous with the detonation of a nuclear warhead.

So, here's what I'm suggesting: Dr. No is attempting to interfere with American spy satellites. He is doing this so that a member of the North Korean high command - who is currently under surveillance - can slip out of the country long enough to meet with somebody from SPECTRE/Quantum in Russia. No is meddling with the satellites by making them think they have detected a low-yield nuclear detonation, but further investigation by the Americans will find that there was no detonation, and they will be forced to take their satellites offline. This will buy No a window of opportunity in which he can move his member of the high command out of North Korea. Bond gets involved when Strangways - a British agent stationed in Korea - finds out about No's plans by accident and is murdered.

#40 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 02:10 AM

Hmm, well, I think we have our plot. :D

As for the actor playing No, I could go with either of dino's or terminus' most recent suggestions.

#41 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 03:21 AM

Not sure what you mean by that - if Julius No is supposed to be in his mid-fifties, then I'd totally buy Dacascos in the role. I might struggle a bit more with Dae Kim, as he isn't as lined in the face as Dacascos, but I wouldn't say either of them deserve eye rolling.

Now if someone had suggested Harry Shum Jr, I might have rolled my eyes.

I could go for either of the actors in question as Dr. No. I might lean a bit towards Dae Kim because I recognize him and have an idea of how he might play the role whereas I don't recall having seen any of Dacascos' work. I'm good with either, though.

I'll agree that Shum Jr. would be far too young for the Dr. No role, and would deserve the eye-rolling were he suggested for that part, but I do think that there would be some potential there for him, if we were to ever have another female villain, as something of a cross between a Dario-type character and a male-Mayday type character that could serve as her henchman. I think that if the knowledge of the TV show on which he stars is set aside, there's some potential for him, as well as another member of that cast who I have in mind for a role further down the line, as there's clearly some talent there to pull from.

As for my suggestions for Honey Ryder, I've got to admit that this one was one of the more difficult to even come up with suggestions for, which is why I'm going to put a couple out there, as the role, while quite small and not necessarily demanding from an acting perspective in the original film, necessitates several different factors, which would include the ability to perform the introduction scene on the beach that appears in both the novel and the film, not being a major star that people immediately recognize by name (which is difficult to find in terms of actresses in their mid to late 20s that we haven't already cast in previous treatments), as well as have some kind of athletic presence:

Diane Kruger

Laura Vandervoort

Isabel Lucas

Again, I have to say that I had a fairly difficult time coming up with ideas for this role, so maybe someone's got a better casting idea that they want to bring forward. Of the three I put out there, I think my preference would be Vandervoort. I think that, from watching some of her prior work, that she could carry across that sense of naivety or innocence that the original film character had going for her (as an example, I'm thinking about the scene where she's explaining to Bond how she can get 50 dollars for the seashells she's collected back in Miami, which in the grand scheme of things, given the danger that they're in and the effort she goes through to hide them, comes across as quite trivial), as well as the fact she has the athletic quality necessary for the role (she's a second degree black belt in Karate, according to the IMDb profile).

Edited by tdalton, 10 January 2011 - 03:53 AM.

#42 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 03:40 AM

In the film, Dr. No was attempting to "topple" missiles by sending them off-course with radio waves, yes?

In the remake, perhaps he could be attempting to interfere with spy satellites. We could draw on the Vela Incident, where a satellite over the South Atlantic registered a "double flash" of light synonymous with the detonation of a nuclear warhead.

Yes we've already included this into the background of Dr.No.

So, here's what I'm suggesting: Dr. No is attempting to interfere with American spy satellites. He is doing this so that a member of the North Korean high command - who is currently under surveillance - can slip out of the country long enough to meet with somebody from SPECTRE/Quantum in Russia. No is meddling with the satellites by making them think they have detected a low-yield nuclear detonation, but further investigation by the Americans will find that there was no detonation, and they will be forced to take their satellites offline. This will buy No a window of opportunity in which he can move his member of the high command out of North Korea. Bond gets involved when Strangways - a British agent stationed in Korea - finds out about No's plans by accident and is murdered.

I'm not sure the end result is really a "big" enough villain's plot. He's set up a base on a remote island and for years he has been working on...a plot to move some guy from point A to point B? I dunno, it lacks a certain...Bondness. As Bond says : "World domination, the same old dream". He should be doing something that affects the world.

How about, if we use the first half of your plot, Dr.No is able to fool satellites into thinking there have been nuclear explosions, complete with a 'signature' that shows it was the result of a foreign missile strike. (Is this straying into Octopussy territory?) The military systems are automatically programmed to react by launching counterattacks under these circumstances, so essentially Dr.No would fool two countries into attacking one another, believing they are under attack when in fact all is calm.

Diane Kruger

Laura Vandervoort

Isabel Lucas

Of these three, I'd probably choose Isabel Lucas, she seems to be just on the edge of stardom. Actually when we started to focus on South Africa as a locale, I immediately thought of the South-African born and raised Charlize Theron, whose name regularly crops up each time a new Bond film starts casting!

As for the bikini/beach scene, I'm wondering if we should even include that at all. It was homaged in DAD, then they turned it on it's head in CR with Craig. Is there a way to put a fresh spin on this scene?

#43 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 03:46 AM

Of these three, I'd probably choose Isabel Lucas, she seems to be just on the edge of stardom. Actually when we started to focus on South Africa as a locale, I immediately thought of the South-African born and raised Charlize Theron, whose name regularly crops up each time a new Bond film starts casting!

As for the bikini/beach scene, I'm wondering if we should even include that at all. It was homaged in DAD, then they turned it on it's head in CR with Craig. Is there a way to put a fresh spin on this scene?

We don't necessarily have to go with any of the three. I kind of put those three out there based on what material there is to work with in the original film. Really, all the character does there is have the introduction on the beach and then she basically just sticks close to Bond throughout the duration of the story while really not adding much to the proceedings. Based on those parameters, I was just trying to find actresses who could give the beach scene the justice that it deserves while bringing perhaps a little something new to the part while also perhaps elevating it slightly from being a character that is basically just Bond's shadow in the film.

If the idea is to look in a different direction for the character (maybe beefing up the role, making her more central to the story, or something like that), then I can go back to the drawing board and do something different with both the casting and the character (or someone else can take a try at it, I'm good either way). :)

EDIT: I think that the beach scene should be there in some form. Maybe not in a way that's as obvious as it is in the original or in its two homage forms (maybe we don't see her rise out of the ocean, but rather Bond just finds her on the beach). If it wasn't something that was in the novel, then I might say we should leave it on the cutting room floor, but it's basis is in the novel, and it's really the biggest moment for the character. If we could come up with a way to give the character a similarly big and memorable moment apart from that, maybe then it could be something that could be taken out.

Edited by tdalton, 10 January 2011 - 03:48 AM.

#44 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 03:55 AM

I'm not sure the end result is really a "big" enough villain's plot. He's set up a base on a remote island and for years he has been working on...a plot to move some guy from point A to point B? I dunno, it lacks a certain...Bondness. As Bond says : "World domination, the same old dream". He should be doing something that affects the world.

Ah, but the consequences of moving that person is what's important. I had a couple of other ideas that touch on a rejected QUANTUM OF SOLACE draft and one of my own ideas for a remake if DIE ANOTHER DAY. A few years ago, there was a girl in Sydney who got aliver transplant. Doctors had no idea how it happened, but she somehow acquired her host's immune system as well. The end result was that she would never have to take an anti-rejection tablet because her immune system and her host's spliced into one another. So, maybe we can work off that.

Strangways is a British diplomat stationed in South Korea. He and his family are killed in a car accident, but somehow his child survives. He or she is saved by an organ transplant, and somehow acquires their donor's immune system. The doctors in Seoul are astonished by this because it means that they could potentially develop a working cure for AIDS from the child's recovery, or at least an immune booster that would replenish the immune system of a person with AIDS. They annouce this to the world.

This is where the elements of DIE ANOTHER DAY come into effect. Bond was to be in North Korea, assassinating Colonel Moon, and for all appearances succeeded. However, Moon survived because of a tainted blood transfusion. Unwilling to let AIDS claim him before the North and South are reunited, he abducts Strangways' child and decides to have the AIDS cure developed for himself. However, he finds that it will be months before the can even be sure that a cure can be developed, and he will likely be dead by then. He then decides to kill the child and burn the body (yeah, it's dark) on live television and destroy the world's hope of an AIDS cure.

Now, the remake of DR NO could run with the first half of this. Strangways' child - let's say it's a daughter - survives the accident and is given a new liver. She acquires her donor's immune system and is potentially the beginning of a cure for AIDS. The North, however, is under increasing pressure to relent, and they need a bargaining chip. Dr. No, trained as a medical professional, masterminds the abduction of the girl and has her smuggled into North Korea. He then has her taken north to Russia, where she is to be handed over to someone from SPECTRE/Quantum, who will then manufacture a cure from her blood. In order to do this, No needs to use his plans to disrupt satellites (which he has been preparing for another purpose) in order to buy enough time to get the girl from Seoul to Vladivostok without anyone noticing.

How about, if we use the first half of your plot, Dr.No is able to fool satellites into thinking there have been nuclear explosions, complete with a 'signature' that shows it was the result of a foreign missile strike. (Is this straying into Octopussy territory?) The military systems are automatically programmed to react by launching counterattacks under these circumstances, so essentially Dr.No would fool two countries into attacking one another, believing they are under attack when in fact all is calm.

Reminds me a lot of Matthew Reilly's SCARECROW, which involved a top-secret project to develop nuclear missiles based on the plans of those used by other countries. These "cloned" missiles could then be fired and detonated to make it look like somebody else launched an attack, because satellite detection systems would pick up the flight characteristics of the missiles (stuff like their contrail and wake patterns) and recognise them as belonging to one country when in fact they were fired by another.

#45 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 03:57 AM

If we could come up with a way to give the character a similarly big and memorable moment apart from that, maybe then it could be something that could be taken out.

What if she were nude, save for the knife belt, like in the novel? We'd have to be discreet, true, and not show her from Bond's POV, but it'd be a hell of an entrance, and a hell of a throwback to the novel, wouldn't you think? :)

#46 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 04:29 AM

If we could come up with a way to give the character a similarly big and memorable moment apart from that, maybe then it could be something that could be taken out.

What if she were nude, save for the knife belt, like in the novel? We'd have to be discreet, true, and not show her from Bond's POV, but it'd be a hell of an entrance, and a hell of a throwback to the novel, wouldn't you think? :)

Ha...I could go with this. Of course, it would be done in a PG-13 way, perhaps only with 'side nudity'. But the look on Craig's face would be hilarious.

#47 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 04:38 AM

Now, the remake of DR NO could run with the first half of this. Strangways' child - let's say it's a daughter - survives the accident and is given a new liver. She acquires her donor's immune system and is potentially the beginning of a cure for AIDS. The North, however, is under increasing pressure to relent, and they need a bargaining chip. Dr. No, trained as a medical professional, masterminds the abduction of the girl and has her smuggled into North Korea. He then has her taken north to Russia, where she is to be handed over to someone from SPECTRE/Quantum, who will then manufacture a cure from her blood. In order to do this, No needs to use his plans to disrupt satellites (which he has been preparing for another purpose) in order to buy enough time to get the girl from Seoul to Vladivostok without anyone noticing.

It's an interesting idea, but I think when you start putting things like AIDS into a Bond film, it gets a bit TOO real-world and depressing. I dunno, what do other people think?

On another note entirely, what was this rejected Quantum of Solace draft?

I also wanted to avoid using Russia in any way for this film, as our next project, FRWL will be centered somewhat on modern Russia.

Reminds me a lot of Matthew Reilly's SCARECROW, which involved a top-secret project to develop nuclear missiles based on the plans of those used by other countries. These "cloned" missiles could then be fired and detonated to make it look like somebody else launched an attack, because satellite detection systems would pick up the flight characteristics of the missiles (stuff like their contrail and wake patterns) and recognise them as belonging to one country when in fact they were fired by another.

Yes I figured Dr.No would also be able to create fake flight paths - I like the idea of 'cloned' missiles.

#48 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 04:56 AM

In the interest of generating some more specific scenes and locations we need, I'll post an Ultimate Bond style proforma

TITLE : DR. NO

CAST

1. James Bond : Daniel Craig
2. M : Judi Dench
3. Dr. No : Suggestions so far include Mark Dacascos, Daniel Dae Kim, Byung-Hun Lee, and er, the bloke from DAD
4. Honey(Chile) Ryder : Suggestions so far include Isabel Lucas, Laura Vandervoort, Diane Kruger, and Charlize Theron
5. 'Dent', the frontman of Dr.No's legitimate abalone harvesting operation
6. Quarrel (presumably an abalone fisherman)
7. Felix Leiter : Jeffrey Wright
8. Moneypenny (if needed)
9. Q (if needed)

LOCATIONS

10. PTS location :
11. Location 1 :
12. Location 2 : (ONE OF 10, 11, AND 12 SHOULD BE JAMAICA)
13. Cape Town, South Africa , which seems to be a hub for abalone poaching
14. Climactic location : Bouvet Island

ACTION SCENES

15. PTS :
16. ACTION SCENE 1 :
17. ACTION SCENE 2 :
18. ACTION SCENE 3 :
19. CLIMACTIC ACTION SCENE : Bond fights Dr.No in his secret lair, probably with stuff blowing up everywhere.

#49 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 05:30 AM

On another note entirely, what was this rejected Quantum of Solace draft?

I believe it was largely the same as the existing version, with Quantum trying to hijack a nation's water supply. The major difference was that Bond would discover Vesper had a son by Yusuf, and that Quantum were threatening the child. Bond would find his solace by way of Vesper's son, who he would have to protect for the duration of the film. It was rejected early on, and no copies of it are known to exist.

The other changes relate to individual scenes; the Tosca sequence originally took place at a "UN-style forum" with Bond having to chase Quantum operatives through different radio frequencies to keep up with the conversation, the idea being that Bond would only ever get half of the information because the conversation would carry on as he was finding the right channel. Mark Forster couldn't visualise it on-screen, and so it was changed to Tosca. I think we used it in the UB Anthology.

I also wanted to avoid using Russia in any way for this film, as our next project, FRWL will be centered somewhat on modern Russia.

Well, it was just going to be the very bottom corner of Russia. Vladivostok, for instance. And Bond might not even visit, assuming he caught up with the villains before they could get to the Russian border.

Yes I figured Dr.No would also be able to create fake flight paths - I like the idea of 'cloned' missiles.

It's not so much a case of crating fake flight paths as it is staging an entire launch. Because no two missile models are exactly the same, no two missile launches - from the physical launch to the detonation - will be the same. All missiles have different ranges both in terms of distance travelled and altitude gained, and their shape influences their contrail and wake. Likewise, upon detonation, the blast shape and size would be unique to a missile, and likewise the patterns of fallout would identify the type of missile used. The idea was to launch the missiles and have the satellites of other countries detect the launches and identify them as having come from a certain country. The plot revolved around a shadowy cabal from the military-industrial complex hijacking the project they had been commisssioned to develop and launching fake North Korean and Iranian missiles over major cities around the world. Of course, one of their own betrayed them and switched the missiles out so that the cities were bombed by the most-hated enemy (ie Karachi would be hit by an Indian missile; New Delhi by a Pakistanki) and all of it was capped off by an "Israeli" missile hitting Mecca on the most holy day of Ramadan because the villain was an anarchist.

So I'm kind of against using "cloned missiles" as Dr. No's plot because I've seen it done before. And not particularly well; SCARECROW's biggest flaw was that it was basically QUANTUM OF SOLACE - action sequence after action sequence, and while some of them were very imaginitive, they got redundant very quickly.

#50 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 08:16 AM

I like this idea a lot. Although the whole angle CT came up with involving AIDS, etc. is compelling, it might just be a bit too complex for our version of the story.

And Isabel Lucas has my vote for Honey. Like Mr. B, I was going to propose taking a cue from the novel and have her appear nude when Bond first sees her, but as dino pointed out, it would have to be done in non-R rated fashion (American rating standards on nudity are absurd). I imagine they could even pull off a shot from behind--I've noticed lately rear female nudity is not as taboo in PG-13 films as it was a few years ago. Not that I have any objections. ;)

#51 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 09:24 AM

Just had a great idea for an action sequence: a Dakar rally-style chase. Instead of having Dr. No's base on an island, it could be somewhere in the middle of Mongolia or the Gobi Desert (if he's North Korean, he could think of the North as being Genghis Khan's direct descendents). I reckon a Japanese-inspired castle at the heart of an oasis in the middle of a red desert would look stunning. Anyway, Bond steals a motorcycle and has to flee No's castle, picking a path through the massive sand dunes as he's being chased by trucks and four wheel drives and more motorcycles and helicopters. He gets to the crest of a dune and finds it's too high, so he has to double back towards his pursuers and has to find another way through. I just have this image in my mind of a truck barrelling through the crest of a dune (at dusk), but the driver loses control and the truck pitches over, rolling end of end down the dune in the middle of its own miniature sandstorm ...

I like this idea a lot. Although the whole angle CT came up with involving AIDS, etc. is compelling, it might just be a bit too complex for our version of the story.

We can use it in DIE ANOTHER DAY. If we get that far.

#52 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 09:54 AM

Just had a great idea for an action sequence: a Dakar rally-style chase. Instead of having Dr. No's base on an island, it could be somewhere in the middle of Mongolia or the Gobi Desert (if he's North Korean, he could think of the North as being Genghis Khan's direct descendents). I reckon a Japanese-inspired castle at the heart of an oasis in the middle of a red desert would look stunning. Anyway, Bond steals a motorcycle and has to flee No's castle, picking a path through the massive sand dunes as he's being chased by trucks and four wheel drives and more motorcycles and helicopters. He gets to the crest of a dune and finds it's too high, so he has to double back towards his pursuers and has to find another way through. I just have this image in my mind of a truck barrelling through the crest of a dune (at dusk), but the driver loses control and the truck pitches over, rolling end of end down the dune in the middle of its own miniature sandstorm ...

Well I think we've already established that Dr.No's base is going to be at Bouvet Island, but we can use a scene like this earlier in the movie. The original film had a car chase with Bond being pursued by the three 'blind' men, ending with them driving off a cliff. If we relocate this scene to a desert and expand it into a bigger, more modern style chase scene, we've probably got ourselves something decent.

#53 terminus

terminus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 03:46 PM

1. James Bond : Daniel Craig
2. M : Judi Dench
3. Dr. No : Suggestions so far include Mark Dacascos, Daniel Dae Kim, Byung-Hun Lee, and er, the bloke from DAD
4. Honey(Chile) Ryder : Suggestions so far include Isabel Lucas, Laura Vandervoort, Diane Kruger, and Charlize Theron
5. 'Dent', the frontman of Dr.No's legitimate abalone harvesting operation
6. Quarrel (presumably an abalone fisherman)
7. Felix Leiter : Jeffrey Wright
9. Q (if needed)

I would say that we don't need Q or Moneypenny - and if we're following on from CR and QOS then we've got Villiers (Tobias Menzies) and Tanner (Rory Kinnear) in our casting stockpile to use for supplemental dialogue in any MI6 scenes if we need them.

Here is a radical idea, casting wise - I did a treatment entitled 'Risico' a year ago and, in an early version of it, I had a reinvention of the Quarrel character that made the character a female bartender in South Africa. I'd put forward the possibility that Quarrel could be a woman and our secondary girl.

LOCATIONS

10. PTS location :
11. Location 1 :
12. Location 2 : (ONE OF 10, 11, AND 12 SHOULD BE JAMAICA)
14. Climactic location : Bouvet Island

I'd suggest we need to make a vast percentage of the movie be in South Africa - either that or we're there for Location 1, then leave briefly for Location 2, before returning for Location 3 and then onwards to Bouvet Island. Presumably Honey wouldn't be introduced until we reach Cape Town unless she's in Location X for some other reason - perhaps if we put Strangways as Head of Station (in somewhere like Seoul, if we follow CT's desire to include Korea somehow) and he's onto something dodgy going on within the Dent Shell Exports facade, then maybe Honey could somehow be his source?

Perhaps Honey's cottoned onto something via her black market shell trade.

This would push the first chunk of the movie into a plot about tracking Honey down - and the forces of Quantum trying to both stop him, and catch Honey too.

ACTION SCENES

15. PTS :
16. ACTION SCENE 1 :
17. ACTION SCENE 2 :
18. ACTION SCENE 3 :
19. CLIMACTIC ACTION SCENE : Bond fights Dr.No in his secret lair, probably with stuff blowing up everywhere.

I'd suggest that there's room for both a car chase (or bike chase), a boat chase and a decent foot chase (a la the construction site in CR and the rooftop chase in QOS) at various points in the film.

#54 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 05:06 PM

Funny, terminus, I was just going to suggest the bit about making Quarrel a woman. Who was it you had playing her in that story?

I think with all the recent suggestions (the rally chase idea, Bond tracking down Honey, the South African location) it might be helpful to have some sort of bare bones bullet point outline to move forward. Could dino or terminus possibly work something up?

#55 terminus

terminus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 05:39 PM

I'd cast her with Nigerian actress Genevieve Nnaji - HERE

Given this is dinovelvet's game and he's squarely in command of the game, then he can do the bullet point outline - though if he needs my help, I'll gladly lend as much help as I can.

#56 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 08:52 PM

I would say that we don't need Q or Moneypenny - and if we're following on from CR and QOS then we've got Villiers (Tobias Menzies) and Tanner (Rory Kinnear) in our casting stockpile to use for supplemental dialogue in any MI6 scenes if we need them.

Here is a radical idea, casting wise - I did a treatment entitled 'Risico' a year ago and, in an early version of it, I had a reinvention of the Quarrel character that made the character a female bartender in South Africa. I'd put forward the possibility that Quarrel could be a woman and our secondary girl.

I added Q and Moneypenny to the list as Craig has said he wanted these characters in Bond 23, but we don't need to use them just for the sake of putting them in the movie if they're not doing anything useful. And yep we can have Tanner in the MI6 scenes. I presume EON are done with Villiers though, for whatever reason.
As for a female Quarrel, yes, I like it!

I'd suggest we need to make a vast percentage of the movie be in South Africa - either that or we're there for Location 1, then leave briefly for Location 2, before returning for Location 3 and then onwards to Bouvet Island. Presumably Honey wouldn't be introduced until we reach Cape Town unless she's in Location X for some other reason - perhaps if we put Strangways as Head of Station (in somewhere like Seoul, if we follow CT's desire to include Korea somehow) and he's onto something dodgy going on within the Dent Shell Exports facade, then maybe Honey could somehow be his source?

Perhaps Honey's cottoned onto something via her black market shell trade.

This would push the first chunk of the movie into a plot about tracking Honey down - and the forces of Quantum trying to both stop him, and catch Honey too.

That's one way to go. Maybe Bond can stop off at one of the other abalone harvesting parts of the world en route.

ACTION SCENES

15. PTS :
16. ACTION SCENE 1 :
17. ACTION SCENE 2 :
18. ACTION SCENE 3 :

I'd suggest that there's room for both a car chase (or bike chase), a boat chase and a decent foot chase (a la the construction site in CR and the rooftop chase in QOS) at various points in the film.

Yeah, presumably with our South Africa locale and plot centering around fishing, we'll need some nautical hi-jinks going on at some point. Now we just have to figure out how to make a boat chase exciting! I'm also on board with CT's suggested desert chase, this can be a reworking of the original film's car chase with the three assassins who end up driving off a cliff.

I'd also like to throw in a casting idea for our new 'Dent' character. South Africa's own...

Sharlto Copley

Posted Image

#57 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 08:54 PM

I like the idea of holding off on using Moneypenny and Q, at least for a little while. I think "GF" would be a perfect opportunity to introduce Q. :)

#58 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 08:57 PM

TITLE: Dr. No

CAST

1. James Bond: Daniel Craig
2. M: Judi Dench
3. Dr. No: Suggestions so far include Mark Dacascos, Daniel Dae Kim, Byung-Hun Lee, and er, the bloke from DAD
4. Honey(chile) Ryder: Suggestions so far include Isabel Lucas, Laura Vandervoort, Diane Kruger, and Charlize Theron
5. 'Dent', the frontman of Dr. No's legitimate abalone harvesting operation: Iain Glen
6. Gaby (presumably an abalone fisher): Genevieve Nnaji
7. Felix Leiter: Jeffrey Wright
9. Q (if needed)

LOCATIONS

10. PTS location:
11. Location 1:
12. Location 2: (ONE OF 10, 11, AND 12 SHOULD BE JAMAICA)
14. Climactic Location: Bouvet Island

ACTION SCENES

15. PTS:
16. Action Scene 1:
17. Action Scene 2:
18. Action Scene 3:
19. Climactic Action Scene: Bond fights Dr.No in his secret lair, probably with stuff blowing up everywhere.

#59 terminus

terminus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 09:32 PM

I added Q and Moneypenny to the list as Craig has said he wanted these characters in Bond 23, but we don't need to use them just for the sake of putting them in the movie if they're not doing anything useful. And yep we can have Tanner in the MI6 scenes. I presume EON are done with Villiers though, for whatever reason.
As for a female Quarrel, yes, I like it!

Glad you like the idea of a female Quarrel :D

That's one way to go. Maybe Bond can stop off at one of the other abalone harvesting parts of the world en route.

Was just an idea :D

I'd also like to throw in a casting idea for our new 'Dent' character. South Africa's own...

Sharlto Copley

Posted Image

I was going to suggest exactly that! I think he's exactly the sort of person that fits the Craig Era.

I like the idea of holding off on using Moneypenny and Q, at least for a little while. I think "GF" would be a perfect opportunity to introduce Q. :)

I'm okay either way.

6. Gaby (presumably an abalone fisher): Genevieve Nnaji

No offense, mr. blofeld, but I suggested a female Quarrel - meaning that we make Quarrel a woman, just like they made Felix African American in Casino Royale. Not with the intent of just giving her a random other name.

#60 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 09:57 PM

Agreed with terminus. Keep the name Quarrel.

Anyone have an idea for a PTS? "Dr. No" is the only Bond film that didn't have a proper one.