772 replies to this topic

#301 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 07:38 PM

OK good job tdalton in tying everything together.

Mr.Blofeld - I think leaving a clue with Blofeld's name and a shipping company kind of forces the next film to follow that up, but the nature of Goldfinger, at least in the original novel, has Bond sort of stumbling into the GF plot. There'll be plenty of time to deal with Blofeld in future films so I think its better if he's kept as a mystery figure for the time being.

Anyway, I will post the Goldfinger "to do list" later today, gather your thoughts, ideas, castings etc in the meantime!

#302 terminus

terminus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 08:45 PM

Okay - this is a bit more than just a series of suggestions, it's a bit more of a semi-treatment: as always, use whatever you want and toss out whatever you don't like. A few months ago, coco1997 and I were tossing around ideas for a sequel to Never Say Never Again (some of you may remember a reference to it in my signature) which was based on Goldfinger - this uses several of those ideas, but altered to fit into the DC Era and rejigged to come in as a sequel to From Russia With Love.

(the events in the film would take place roughly two months after the events seen in From Russia With Love, Bond embarks in a standalone mission in the pretitle sequence that is based on that in the original Goldfinger - a mission to destroy a drug production plant, but this would be in Nambutu and this could set up Nambutu being used in LALD as opposed to the also-fictional St. Monique)

MI6 -

After the title sequence, Bond is brought into MI6 for a meeting with M and Tanner. He bumps Moneypenny (Anna Friel) and swaps banter with her but is called into the meeting - in which grainy footage from CCTV cameras in London, from the streets outside and corridors within the Royal Albert Hall, shows a man exiting Mr White's private box, bumping into Bond as he exits the building and getting lost on the streets. The man is, according to their debriefing with Tatiana Romanova (Kathryn Winnick), Ernst Stavro Blofeld - the only member of the Quantum council that they didn't know about and the only one who hasn't shown up dead. "How do we know he isn't dead," questions Bond. M shows Bond footage from security cameras showing Blofeld walking calmly through Dubai International Airport - the mission is thus: Bond will travel to Dubai, track down Blofeld and bring him in.

Dubai -

Bond arrives in Dubai where, with the assistance of Jill Masterson, he tracks Blofeld down to an exclusive golf course (The Els Club) where Blofeld has played and asks the attendant about a game. Blofeld has cancelled, but Blofelds usual partner, a handsome thirty-something Eastern European who goes by the name of Auric Goldfinger (Alexander Skarsgård), arrives - and, after Jill bribes the attendant, Bond is introduced and paired up with Auric. Bond tries to interrogate Goldfinger about his regular opponent but Goldfinger remains tight lipped: the man owns a number of jewellers as well as a number of 'cash for gold' operations around the world, he's new wealth (almost grotesquely so) and is clothed in 'the best' clothes, is a member of the best sporting clubs etc. He's trying to outdo the old money - trying to be something he's not, extremely ashamed of his very working class background. Over the course of the game against Goldfinger, Bond comes to realise that the man is cheating - he realises that Goldfingers aide, a mute Korean named Oddjob, is placing compact magnets into the holes and Blofeld is using magnetised balls to roll them into the holes. This is confirmed later after Bond steals a ball - and watches Blofeld drive away in his ostentatious Rolls Royce Phantom.

Later, Bond attends a stunning gala event at a museum on the outskirts of the city which Goldfinger and Blofeld also attend. Placing an 'invisible' bug onto the bottom of a champagne glass, he listens in on the conversation when a waiter hands the champagne to either Goldfinger or Blofeld - he learns that the gold will be transferred to the 'Octopus' that night, transferred elsewhere, melted down and resold in order to fill the coffers of Quantum. Goldfinger thanks Blofeld for his invitation to join him in his new endeavour - and when Bond tries to pursue the Quantum member, this leads to a car chase through the streets of Dubai between Bond in his 'fully stocked' Aston Martin and Blofeld in a similarly attired BMW. Blofeld looks like he is almost beaten when his car crashes - he is left with a jagged scar down his face - but he ultimately escapes.

That night, Bond and Jill have tracked down the 'Octopus' that Goldfinger mentioned - his yacht, presumably, moored off the coast. It has a submarine dock, which they witness opening and the submarine leaving. Bond follows the slow moving submarine stealthily using scuba equipment and finds it stops at a submerged wreck of a freighter off the coast - a figure leaves the submarine, enters the wreckage, and Bond follows. The figure is Oddjob, and Bond finds him removing gold bullion from a crate and conveying it back to the submarine. Bond follows Oddjob into the submarine - the pair fight and Bond seems defeated, but bludgeons Oddjob over the head with a bar of the gold before setting the submarine to self destruct before escaping.

Upon returning to his hotel room to rendezvous with Jill, he finds her dead from epidermal asphyxiation. The following day, when M flies in and meets up with Bond at the British Embassy, we learn that Goldfinger and his yacht have vanished from the coast, the submarine wreckage and Oddjobs body have gone and Blofeld has evaporated too. The gold bar that Bond bludgeoned Oddjob with and stole belongs to a lost cache of Iraqi bullion.

Bond wants to follow up on Blofeld's connection to Goldfinger - and M gives permission, they can't afford Quantum to return to their prior wealth. They get the chance to follow the lead up when Goldfinger's yacht resurfaces in Location X (in my NSNA sequel, the Dubai sequences were in the Bahamas and the Location X segments in Monaco and Morocco).

Location X -

Bond travels to Location X where he tries to put himself into contact with Goldfinger - and it is there he meets Pussy Galore, Goldfinger's apparantly lesbian 'Financial Advisor'. Bond identifies her as a known financial criminal, a former member of a group of female con artistes known as the Cement Mixers. And he tells her he knows this - whilst she resists his attempt at blackmailing her now, she eventually relents and comes across to Bond's side much later (only when she knows Goldfinger has been defeated and, even then, she tries to bargain with Bond for more money for helping him). Through his interactions here, he discovers that Goldfinger is planning to somehow steal the gold contained at Fort Knox -

(At this point, the treatment would segue into the events of the film and book - with the ending of the novel more or less intact, though Pussy will not sleep with Bond at any point. My NSNA sequel had Goldfinger planning to steal the gold bullion that the UK had stored in Hong Kong - borrowed from the original script for TND.)

#303 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 09:12 PM

That was fantastic, terminus. I appreciate how it features shades of "Thunderball" (given we're not actually doing a treatment for that flick) and you have Iraqi bullion being stolen as opposed to Nazi gold, making it a bit more contemporary. I also like the nod to the origin of Blofeld's scar. ;)

#304 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 12:56 AM

Okay - this is a bit more than just a series of suggestions, it's a bit more of a semi-treatment: as always, use whatever you want and toss out whatever you don't like. A few months ago, coco1997 and I were tossing around ideas for a sequel to Never Say Never Again (some of you may remember a reference to it in my signature) which was based on Goldfinger - this uses several of those ideas, but altered to fit into the DC Era and rejigged to come in as a sequel to From Russia With Love.

(the events in the film would take place roughly two months after the events seen in From Russia With Love, Bond embarks in a standalone mission in the pretitle sequence that is based on that in the original Goldfinger - a mission to destroy a drug production plant, but this would be in Nambutu and this could set up Nambutu being used in LALD as opposed to the also-fictional St. Monique)

Well we could always use real countries! As for the PTS, I was going to suggest sticking to Fleming, which involves some sort of assassination mission in Mexico, this could be amped up for a Bond-sized PTS.

MI6 -

After the title sequence, Bond is brought into MI6 for a meeting with M and Tanner. He bumps Moneypenny (Anna Friel) and swaps banter with her but is called into the meeting - in which grainy footage from CCTV cameras in London, from the streets outside and corridors within the Royal Albert Hall, shows a man exiting Mr White's private box, bumping into Bond as he exits the building and getting lost on the streets. The man is, according to their debriefing with Tatiana Romanova (Kathryn Winnick), Ernst Stavro Blofeld - the only member of the Quantum council that they didn't know about and the only one who hasn't shown up dead. "How do we know he isn't dead," questions Bond. M shows Bond footage from security cameras showing Blofeld walking calmly through Dubai International Airport - the mission is thus: Bond will travel to Dubai, track down Blofeld and bring him in.

Again I was thinking of sticking to Fleming - Bond would be returning from Mexico via Miami airport (cue an airport official making a reference to CR when he sees Bond), and would bump into Mr.Fukutu, who buys Bond a drink and explains a man he's playing cards with may be cheating but he can't figure out how. Bond accepts his invitation to watch and soon discovers GF has gone so far as to use a satellite to spy on Fukutu's cards, controlled by Jill Masterson who is relaying the images directly to the lens on GF's sunglasses that he's wearing.

I wasn't planning to use Blofeld too much in this one, there's plenty of time to use him in OHMSS-YOLT, and I don't think we should overexpose him too quickly, otherwise it becomes four movies in a row where Bond is chasing Blofeld, and by the time we get to OHMSS it'll be Blofeld fatigue. In my head, Blofeld would only show up for a brief meeting with GF halfway through the film, and maybe again in an epilogue, and Bond still wouldn't be aware of his presence.

Auric Goldfinger (Alexander Skarsgård)

I can go with this casting. I was going to suggest getting away from the 'jolly fat man' of the original GF, and he is certainly the polar opposite of Gert Frobe!

arrives - and, after Jill bribes the attendant, Bond is introduced and paired up with Auric. Bond tries to interrogate Goldfinger about his regular opponent but Goldfinger remains tight lipped: the man owns a number of jewellers as well as a number of 'cash for gold' operations around the world, he's new wealth (almost grotesquely so) and is clothed in 'the best' clothes, is a member of the best sporting clubs etc. He's trying to outdo the old money - trying to be something he's not, extremely ashamed of his very working class background. Over the course of the game against Goldfinger, Bond comes to realise that the man is cheating - he realises that Goldfingers aide, a mute Korean named Oddjob, is placing compact magnets into the holes and Blofeld is using magnetised balls to roll them into the holes. This is confirmed later after Bond steals a ball - and watches Blofeld drive away in his ostentatious Rolls Royce Phantom.

I was going to question whether we would even do the golf match. Is it thrilling by today's standards?

Later, Bond attends a stunning gala event at a museum on the outskirts of the city which Goldfinger and Blofeld also attend. Placing an 'invisible' bug onto the bottom of a champagne glass, he listens in on the conversation when a waiter hands the champagne to either Goldfinger or Blofeld - he learns that the gold will be transferred to the 'Octopus' that night, transferred elsewhere, melted down and resold in order to fill the coffers of Quantum. Goldfinger thanks Blofeld for his invitation to join him in his new endeavour - and when Bond tries to pursue the Quantum member, this leads to a car chase through the streets of Dubai between Bond in his 'fully stocked' Aston Martin and Blofeld in a similarly attired BMW. Blofeld looks like he is almost beaten when his car crashes - he is left with a jagged scar down his face - but he ultimately escapes.

That night, Bond and Jill have tracked down the 'Octopus' that Goldfinger mentioned - his yacht, presumably, moored off the coast. It has a submarine dock, which they witness opening and the submarine leaving. Bond follows the slow moving submarine stealthily using scuba equipment and finds it stops at a submerged wreck of a freighter off the coast - a figure leaves the submarine, enters the wreckage, and Bond follows. The figure is Oddjob, and Bond finds him removing gold bullion from a crate and conveying it back to the submarine. Bond follows Oddjob into the submarine - the pair fight and Bond seems defeated, but bludgeons Oddjob over the head with a bar of the gold before setting the submarine to self destruct before escaping.

Upon returning to his hotel room to rendezvous with Jill, he finds her dead from epidermal asphyxiation. The following day, when M flies in and meets up with Bond at the British Embassy, we learn that Goldfinger and his yacht have vanished from the coast, the submarine wreckage and Oddjobs body have gone and Blofeld has evaporated too. The gold bar that Bond bludgeoned Oddjob with and stole belongs to a lost cache of Iraqi bullion.

I like the idea of using Iraqi gold, but this is all sounding a little too close to Thunderball, isn't it? I think a lot of what's in this sequence would be better off being used in LALD which will be our TB substitute for the next film.

I had some ideas for how to do the heist sequence :

For the purposes of our new era, Blofeld will be working with Goldfinger, providing him equipment and resources etc to pull off the heist in return for 50% of the take.

-Goldfinger uses an electromagnetic pulse generator (provided by Blofeld, stolen from a secret CIA facility in Afghanistan. Felix Leiter will be investigating this theft, so he will eventually end up working the same case as Bond) to knock out all the power across most of Kentucky, except for his vehicles and equipment that are being stored in lead-shielded bunkers. This will significantly slow down police/military response time.

-GF will load the gold onto trucks and trains, but he will also have dummy trucks driving around full of fake gold to fool the authorities. He has bought/constructed a private railroad to bring the gold to a base in the Appalachian mountains; from there, it will be diverted to various locations including docks and airports to smuggle it out of the country, again with dummy trains to confuse the military. Blofeld and Goldfinger accept that the authorities may be able to recoup 10-20% of the gold, but with the power down and the gold being scattered across the country, they cannot possibly get the majority of it.

#305 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 01:04 AM

dino, I wanted the shipping company to factor into the smuggling of the gold; it'd be named Ouroboros, so it'd also tie neatly into Live and Let Die. :)

#306 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 04:08 AM

Even though I get your point about Bond returning from Mexico through Miami, I do quite like having Bond go to Dubai in this one.

#307 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 05:24 AM

Regarding the golf scene, I too wonder if golf itself would be exciting enough at this point in time to be the backdrop of one of the bigger standoffs in the film. I do like the idea of Bond competing against the villain in some kind of sport, so perhaps if we decided to not have Bond and Goldfinger compete in a game of golf, maybe they could compete against each other in another sport. What sport? That I don't know (I don't venture too much outside of the more traditional American ones such as baseball and football), but I'm sure there's something out there that they could engage in that would make for an exciting standoff in the film.

I like the idea of using Iraqi gold, but this is all sounding a little too close to Thunderball, isn't it? I think a lot of what's in this sequence would be better off being used in LALD which will be our TB substitute for the next film.

I like the idea of them smuggling Iraqi gold, but would prefer it if the country itself was featured in a very minor role in LALD in terms of being a location. (I don't know what the plan was necessarily for the use of the location, if it was to be used at all. I haven't quite finished reading over the suggestions made thus far, so I might have missed something :)) Not to get too far ahead of ourselves (but since I have been putting a lot of thought lately into the remake of LALD and since the topic came up), but I would think that the primary locations in LALD should be similar to what they were in the original film, with perhaps some deviations, but they should at least be similar locations.

Auric Goldfinger (Alexander Skarsgård)

That's some casting that I can get behind as well. He's very suitably creepy on True Blood and makes a great villain on that show. A very nice bit of casting as opposed to going after someone who fits more into the Gert Frobe mold.

I also like the idea put forward about Mr. Fukutu (sp?) from CR being in the film.

#308 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 07:07 AM

So here's some castings we'll need to address :

Regulars -

James Bond : Daniel Craig
M : Judi Dench
Moneypenny : Anna Friel
Felix Leiter : Jeffrey Wright
Tanner : Rory Kinnear
Blofeld : Peter Serafinowicz
(if we use him - Mr. Fukutu : Tom So)

New roles -

Auric Goldfinger : Alexander Skarsgard (I'm happy with this choice, though if anyone has other ideas, throw them in and we'll see)

Oddjob : ? Presumably we can look beyond the acting world for martial arts experts, etc

Pussy Galore :

Tilly Masterson :
Jill Masterson :

Q : ? if needed

#309 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 07:25 AM

How about Juno Temple...

Posted Image

...as Tilly Masterson?

#310 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 07:29 AM

How about Juno Temple...
...as Tilly Masterson?

Erm...she looks to be about 12 years old?

Never mind, 21 apparently. Young enough to be Daniel Craig's daughter :S

#311 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 07:35 AM

True, but Gemma Arterton was only 22 when "QoS" was released. I think Juno's almost cherub-like appearance adds to her innocence and would make her death seem even more tragic when it inevitably occurs. And after all, Bond never beds Tilly, does he?

#312 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 07:40 AM

True, but Gemma Arterton was only 22 when "QoS" was released. I think Juno's almost cherub-like appearance adds to her innocence and would make her death seem even more tragic when it inevitably occurs. And after all, Bond never beds Tilly, does he?

Hmm...you do have a point. Alright if there's no bed hopping with Bond, I can go with this casting. So now we need someone who can pass for her older sister to play Jill.

#313 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 07:50 AM

Hmm...you do have a point. Alright if there's no bed hopping with Bond, I can go with this casting. So now we need someone who can pass for her older sister to play Jill.

And I think the age difference would make her character even more sympathetic. It would be a case of the innocent, naive little sister going up against the evil killers who took her big sister away from her. Perhaps we could throw in a reference to Camille with Bond cautioning her against vengeance and lecturing her on the cold reality of taking another life.

#314 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 04:49 PM

Erm... is everyone ignoring me, for a reason? :S

Juno Temple might be better as Judy Havelock, if we ever get to that point...

#315 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 05:02 PM

Juno Temple might be better as Judy Havelock, if we ever get to that point...

I would agree that she might be pretty good for the Havelock role as well, but I'd say she'd also fit the role she's currently suggested for as well, seeing as how they're not that dissimilar (young woman out for revenge for the death of family).

#316 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 05:55 PM

Not to mention that Juno could pass as Jill Masterson's daughter much more than she could Judy Havelock (in appearance, that is).

#317 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 05:58 PM

Not to mention that Juno could pass as Jill Masterson's daughter much more than she could Judy Havelock (in appearance, that is).

Absolutely.

Any idea who should play Jill? I tried coming up with something but didn't have all that much success with it.

#318 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 06:59 PM

I've been thinking about he girls of "GF" for a while but I've had trouble coming up with a truly appropriate casting. Here are a pair I've considered:

January Jones as Jill Masterson

Elizabeth Banks as Pussy Galore

My only concern with these castings is that they may be a bit too recognizable, and we haven't been in the habit of choosing high profile actresses for these roles.

#319 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 07:04 PM

I've been thinking about he girls of "GF" for a while but I've had trouble coming up with a truly appropriate casting. Here are a pair I've considered:

January Jones as Jill Masterson

Elizabeth Banks as Pussy Galore

My only concern with these castings is that they may be a bit too recognizable, and we haven't been in the habit of choosing high profile actresses for these roles.

It would appear that we're on the exact same wavelength regarding Jill. She would have been the one that I would have put forward for that part as well given that I think she looks like she could be Juno's older sister (at least based on the picture that you posted with that casting suggestion). I would 100% throw my support behind this bit of casting.

Elizabeth Banks could definitely work as Ms. Galore. She's branched out rather nicely from the comedic roles she was doing early in her career. I had actually been thinking about suggesting Anna Paquin for the part, but given that we've already cast her True Blood costar Skarsgard in the role of the villain, we might want to look in another direction.

I don't necessarily think that casting with high-profile actors is a bad thing. Even though they come with the baggage of being very famous, for the most part (obviously, there are quite a few exceptions) they got to their level of fame by being rather talented.

Edited by tdalton, 29 January 2011 - 07:07 PM.

#320 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 07:10 PM

Elizabeth Banks could definitely work as Ms. Galore. She's branched out rather nicely from the comedic roles she was doing early in her career. I had actually been thinking about suggesting Anna Paquin for the part, but given that we've already cast her True Blood costar Skarsgard in the role of the villain, we might want to look in another direction.

I don't necessarily think that casting with high-profile actors is a bad thing. Even though they come with the baggage of being very famous, for the most part (obviously, there are quite a few exceptions) they got to their level of fame by being rather talented.

I'm not sure about Paquin. While she's proven herself to be a very talented actress with "True Blood", she doesn't have the 'glamorous' beauty that arguably every major Bond girl has possessed throughout the series. It would be interesting to use her at some point, though, given that all of the X-Men women have gotten roles in the Bond series in one way or another (Famke Janssen as Xenia Onatopp, Halle Berry as Jinx, and Rebecca Romijn as Adelaide Springs in "Stormcaller" );).

#321 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 07:14 PM

I'm not sure about Paquin. While she's proven herself to be a very talented actress with "True Blood", she doesn't have the 'glamorous' beauty that arguably every major Bond girl has possessed throughout the series. It would be interesting to use her at some point, though, given that all of the X-Men women have gotten roles in the Bond series in one way or another (Famke Janssen as Xenia Onatopp, Halle Berry as Jinx, and Rebecca Romijn as Adelaide Springs in "Stormcaller" );).

I would agree to an extent.

I'm not putting her out there as an "official" suggestion anyway. My involvement in terms of casting and other suggestions will probably be fairly minimal this round due to the fact that I'm probably the least knowledgeable person on the site when it comes to anything and everything Goldfinger. I've seen the movie twice (despised it the first time, watched it several years later to see if the opinion had changed, which it didn't) and have never read the novel, so I'm not really in much position to suggest anything this time around.

#322 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 07:17 PM

Still, if there are things you specifically remember not liking, you can always offer suggestions on how to improve them. :)

#323 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 07:30 PM

Still, if there are things you specifically remember not liking, you can always offer suggestions on how to improve them. :)

The big thing that I would change (and this is kind of a whole bunch of smaller things put together) would be to just add more excitement to it. Everything about Goldfinger screams "boring" to me. The idea of breaking into Fort Knox is such a grand idea for a villainous plot, but what they did with it in the film was quite dull (and I know that dino has already changed this, so that's already a huge improvement over the original, IMO). The idea of simply breaking in to set off a bomb was, while something that made sense in some kind twisted way in terms of how Goldfinger explained it, just dull. So by making it an actual heist this time around, it's already moving in the right direction. And while I'm also someone that advocates for Bond films to feature less action than what we generally get, there also has to be something exciting happening on screen as well, which Golfinger doesn't necessarily have going for it, IMO.

The concept of the film does have a bit more weight at this point in time due to the current economical crisis, so it might make sense to lean on that for some kind of plot development. Blofeld needs the money in order to build up capital within Quantum so that he can keep the doors open so to speak, but he also needs it because of the power that would come with it. By weakening an already weak economy in the US, he would gain a significant amount of power globally should he choose to exploit it. That might be something to use in terms of story, and would give it much more weight than the story ever did have in its other two versions.

There's also the fact that Bond spent so much time in captivity in the film. He's basically held hostage for a large chunk of time on Goldfinger's ranch in Kentucky (if I'm remembering it correctly). I'm all for Bond visiting less exciting locations and less glamorous ones as well (I generally prefer them, at least in principle), but they spend way too much time on the ranch in the film, and it's not even a particularly exciting ranch to look at.

I think that the idea that terminus alluded to regarding Goldfinger being after UK gold that was stored in Hong Kong might be the way to go. We'd get a much more exciting setting as well as keep things from being too much of a retread of the first. Using the exact same plot from the film (i.e. going after Fort Knox) is just going to be a sense of been there done that, as I can't imagine that Fort Knox looks much, if at all, different now than it did back in the 1960s.

#324 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 08:33 PM

That's kind of a problem of the film only though. In the novel, GF did all his planning, and held Bond hostage, in New York before going straight to Fort Knox.

As for the castings, I give thumbs up to Elizabeth Banks. I was going to suggest Amy Adams if nobody else came up with anything (perhaps a bit influenced by seeing her as Amelia Earhart in Night at the museum 2!), but this works fine.

As for January Jones, this means we now have one sister who is American and one who is English. Does that work?

And for Oddjob, I'll throw in the name of Byung-hun Lee - you may remember I suggested him for Dr.No! But as he is Korean and has the fighting skills, I think this'd be more suitable.

I know we had a car posted for Goldfinger to use, which looks awesome/weird enough for a villain to be driving, but I think this is too good an opportunity to pass up - a gold-plated DeLorean , only three in existence.

Perhaps GF can drive the Rolls in Europe, and then the DeLorean in the US?

Anyway hopefully terminus weighs in today, I'm hoping he has some feedback on what I posted about his ideas.

#325 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 08:46 PM

I've got a hilarious gag idea - OK, it's only sort of funny :

Pussy Galore arrives for the Operation Grandslam briefing carrying a fluffy white cat. At some point, the cat jumps into Blofeld's lap. He will immediately react in disgust, shooing the cat away, saying "Get that thing away from me!"

This can be Blofeld's own cliche-busting "Do I look like I give a damn?" moment!

#326 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 08:46 PM

That's kind of a problem of the film only though. In the novel, GF did all his planning, and held Bond hostage, in New York before going straight to Fort Knox.

As for the castings, I give thumbs up to Elizabeth Banks. I was going to suggest Amy Adams if nobody else came up with anything (perhaps a bit influenced by seeing her as Amelia Earhart in Night at the museum 2!), but this works fine.

As for January Jones, this means we now have one sister who is American and one who is English. Does that work?

And for Oddjob, I'll throw in the name of Byung-hun Lee - you may remember I suggested him for Dr.No! But as he is Korean and has the fighting skills, I think this'd be more suitable.

I know we had a car posted for Goldfinger to use, which looks awesome/weird enough for a villain to be driving, but I think this is too good an opportunity to pass up - a gold-plated DeLorean , only three in existence.

Perhaps GF can drive the Rolls in Europe, and then the DeLorean in the US?

Anyway hopefully terminus weighs in today, I'm hoping he has some feedback on what I posted about his ideas.

Having one actress British and the other American for the Jill/Tilly duo doesn't really bother me. As long as one can fake an accent then I don't think it would be an issue.

I like both Banks and Adams as choices. Both would get the thumbs up from me.

The rest of the ideas quoted sound good as well. I think Lee would be a nice casting choice for Oddjob. He's not a carbon-copy of the original, which is good, and I think he'd have a good physical presence for the part.

#327 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 08:49 PM

A gold DeLorean? I love it! Great way to tie in one of my other favorite film series with Bond. ;) I would take that over my suggestion of the Rolls Royce Apparition, but if both can be worked in, let's go for it.

I'm glad you approve of the Banks suggestion. She's American, and she'd be the same age--36--that Honor Blackman was when she starred in the original film. I think she's most known currently for some of her raunchier roles (The 40 Year-Old Virgin, Zack and Miri Make a pørno) but she's been branching out lately into some more dramatic parts. She can definitely act, and she possesses the same classical beauty as Honor Blackman.

Dino, you raise a good point about casting January Jones and how we'd have one English sister and one American. However, I saw Juno in Harold Ramis' "Year One" recently and she pulled off an American accent quite well. I'm more attached to the Juno Temple casting anyway, so if others disapprove of using Jones or still have a hangup with having one Brit and one American in the role, we can always reconsider. I wouldn't have expected to cast all the "GF" women myself, anyway.

#328 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 08:54 PM

Dino, you raise a good point about casting January Jones and how we'd have one English sister and one American. However, I saw Juno in Harold Ramis' "Year One" recently and she pulled off an American accent quite well. I'm more attached to the Juno Temple casting anyway, so if others disapprove of using Jones or still have a hangup with having one Brit and one American in the role, we can always reconsider. I wouldn't have expected to cast all the "GF" women myself, anyway.

I think that it's such commonplace now with non-American actors and actresses portraying American characters that it's not that big of an issue. Take for instance Yvonne Strahovski on Chuck. I was very surprised to find out that she was Australian because she does a very good job with her American accent on the show that it was something of a shock to hear her real speaking voice the first time I saw her in an interview. If I'd never seen her on anything other than Chuck, I would swear that she was American. There are many other examples, I would think, but this is one that stands out for me.

#329 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 09:03 PM

A gold DeLorean? I love it! Great way to tie in one of my other favorite film series with Bond. ;) I would take that over my suggestion of the Rolls Royce Apparition, but if both can be worked in, let's go for it.

I'm glad you approve of the Banks suggestion. She's American, and she'd be the same age--36--that Honor Blackman was when she starred in the original film. I think she's most known currently for some of her raunchier roles (The 40 Year-Old Virgin, Zack and Miri Make a pørno) but she's been branching out lately into some more dramatic parts. She can definitely act, and she possesses the same classical beauty as Honor Blackman.

If you like, we can save the Rolls for another film - the look of it does cry out to be used in a Bond film. Since we're going with a younger, more brash Goldfinger, something more flashy like the gold DeLorean might work better for the character.

Yeah I think having an actress like Elizabeth who can handle comedy and drama is the right way to go here - presumably a character with the name Pussy Galore in the year 2011 has to be played just a little bit tongue-in-cheek!

You know, if we're going to pick a Mad Men actress here, why not Christina Hendricks for the role of Jill? She'd certainly bring some valuable...assets to the role, and she seems to be more similar looking to Juno. At least facially.

#330 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 09:03 PM

We could save the Apparition for a future installment, true. I could definitely see Mr. Big cruising around Harlem in that sleek beast. B)

You know, if we're going to pick a Mad Men actress here, why not Christina Hendricks for the role of Jill? She'd certainly bring some valuable...assets to the role, and she seems to be more similar looking to Juno. At least facially.

Good idea. There's nothing saying that both sisters need to be blond.

Also, I quite liked your idea of Blofeld reacting to Pussy's cat. :D I was curious how we were going to handle the white cat issue, as it's become something of a cliche nowadays.