83 replies to this topic

#61 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 06:34 PM

That's what I thought the moment I read the first post (I was drawn to it by the title - Lynne Truss' book is one of my bibles).

Recently I came across the words "uncountless" and "impopularity" in a post right here at CBn. Puts me in mind of a preview article in an issue of the V comic book series back in 1985, wherein it was written: "Diana is unrelentless in her pursuit of the resistance" (Italics theirs). Choose a prefix or a suffix and stick with it, people.

And whatever happened to the word 'fewer,' as in: '"It's sounding like they're hiring less teachers this year," said U of M education student Heidi Dirks, a history and geography specıalıst who went to Fort Richmond Collegiate.' Not an English major, I notice.

Of course, one need look no further than the former leader of the Free World for inspiration (as my sparring partner above may have done):

"They misunderestimated me."
"And they have no disregard for human life."
"I remember meeting a mother of a child who was abducted by the North Koreans right here in the Oval Office."
"The French don't even have a work for entrepreneur."
"I've created lots of new words, like "misunderstanding."

And, the all-time winner:

"You teach a child to read, and he or her will be able to pass a literacy test."

Of course, it's not just Bush:

"We're making sure there are plenty of issues for the next election" - Sarah Palin

Edited by AMC Hornet, 06 August 2011 - 11:23 PM.

#62 Santa

Santa

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6445 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 01:26 PM

Grammar Man

Daily Mail. Sorry 'bout that.

#63 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 01:50 AM

Busted!

#64 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 10:29 PM

Alot simular to the spirit of Sir Ian Flemming.

I get the joke in the first part of this sentence, but the latter part still leaves me puzzled.

I asked once before, but no one ever answered my query:

Was Ian Fleming really knighted posthumously? Has anyone ever been knighted posthumously? Although I agree that Ian Fleming should have met the Queen, as far as I know the only peers to be knighted after their involvement in the 007 series (for their charity work and contributions to the public profile of Britain) are Sir Sean Connery and Sir Roger Moore.

Please advise.

#65 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 11:53 PM

Was Ian Fleming really knighted posthumously? Has anyone ever been knighted posthumously?

Good question. I remember on the old MI6 forums, there was a petition for Ian Fleming to be knighted posthumously. Apparently the only men who've had that honour, were Antarctic emperor Robert Falcon Scott, and Sir Murray William James Bourchier. Since both were knighted within a year of their deaths, I doubt a British thriller author would be awarded nearly 50 years after his.

#66 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 04:20 AM

Alot simular to the spirit of Sir Ian Flemming.

I get the joke in the first part of this sentence, but the latter part still leaves me puzzled.

I asked once before, but no one ever answered my query:

Was Ian Fleming really knighted posthumously? Has anyone ever been knighted posthumously? Although I agree that Ian Fleming should have met the Queen, as far as I know the only peers to be knighted after their involvement in the 007 series (for their charity work and contributions to the public profile of Britain) are Sir Sean Connery and Sir Roger Moore.

Please advise.

I understand not - alongside the examples cited by The Shark, there was also the golfer Henry Cotton who was alive when informed the Knighthood would be granted, but died before the investiture (it taking potentially several months between the two). As I gather it, one has to be alive to be granted the honour in the first place. For what it's worth, Fleming an unlikely candidate while he was alive - the wartime heroics may have justified it (albeit secret so perhaps not) but at the time of his death he was a raddled old drunk who churned out pulp thrillers who had run off to Jamaica with the well-connected wife of a mate of several Prime Ministers. Chances not high.

Anyway, as far as I get the system, it's just not possible. You have to be alive to receive notice, but not necessarily for the swordy bit.

#67 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 05:15 AM

And we can't expect Her Majesty to attend a seance. Not with the sword.

#68 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 12:19 PM

Browsing the DVD racks of a shop the other day, I picked up a copy of AGE OF HEROES, starring Sean Bean and Danny Dyer, and noted that the back cover blurb made reference to "Sir Ian Fleming".

Well, at least it wasn't "Sir Ian Flemming". Small mercies.

#69 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 12:54 PM

Browsing the DVD racks of a shop the other day, I picked up a copy of AGE OF HEROES, starring Sean Bean and Danny Dyer, and noted that the back cover blurb made reference to "Sir Ian Fleming".

Well, at least it wasn't "Sir Ian Flemming". Small mercies.

Most curious phenomenon. Where do all those inflationary ms come from? The Germans? Commies? Faulty MS Word©?

#70 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 07:24 PM

Here are some more pearls I came across at another website (copied verbatim):

"You have to retarded to think ther is nothing going on around the planet at the moment..im glad ther are the few idiots out there who dont beleve it will make it easier for the smart ones who do let me guess you prob beleve the world is flat to ! Your the joke"

"My intellect is that of a nuclear fitnatist and yours that of a helpless baby animal."

"lol it’s funny how the world try to know how the end of world will coming just read the bible no damn UFO is in just read lol"

"Maybe, before you urban hillbillies condemn university educated researchers for publishing a semi-fantastical study on senerios concerning ETI, you should lean to use spell check and proper grammical structure."

(‘Nuff said.)

Edited by AMC Hornet, 25 August 2011 - 07:27 PM.

#71 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 04:57 PM

Here are some more pearls I came across at another website (copied verbatim):

"You have to retarded to think ther is nothing going on around the planet at the moment..im glad ther are the few idiots out there who dont beleve it will make it easier for the smart ones who do let me guess you prob beleve the world is flat to ! Your the joke"

"My intellect is that of a nuclear fitnatist and yours that of a helpless baby animal."

"lol it’s funny how the world try to know how the end of world will coming just read the bible no damn UFO is in just read lol"

"Maybe, before you urban hillbillies condemn university educated researchers for publishing a semi-fantastical study on senerios concerning ETI, you should lean to use spell check and proper grammical structure."

(‘Nuff said.)

The Times letters page has really gone downhill, hasn't it?

#72 Santa

Santa

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6445 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 09:31 PM

So here's a tricky one for those to whom this kind of thing is important - how much of a dealbreaker is really bad spelling in a potential girl/boyfriend/wife/husband/whatever? Does anyone get turned off by it or doesn't it bother you?

#73 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 12:19 AM

My longtime girlfriend and I started out making a game of being careful not to dangle our prepositions. It became so awkward that we eventually gave it up.

Before her I had a sexpot girlfriend (briefly) who claimed to be a poet. I wrote her a little piece of free verse, and she told me it wasn't poetry because "it didn't rhyme."

I love my longtime girlfriend. She keeps me on my toes.

In other words, yes - education, intellect and effective communication skills are important to me.

...But that's just me. As I've discovered, I can appreciate dumb for just so long, and stupid for no time at all.

#74 dodge

dodge

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5068 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 11:33 AM

I'm in training for an exclusive World Premier Photo Event...to be unveiled on my Facebook page (under the name Reb MacRath)...on November 10. Monster in the Desert, the first of the two photos, is without doubt the most horrifying image ever captured on film. The second astonishing photo--Reborn as a Boytoy--will give everyone a look at the real Dodge.

Remember:

DATE: NOVEMBER 10, 2011.
WHERE: REB MACRATH'S FACEBOOK PAGE UNDER PHOTOS
WHAT: WORLD PREMIER RELEASE OF MONSTER IN THE DESERT AND THE, ER, OTHER PHOTO.

P.S. This riskay eevent is deaduhkated to hour beluved Sahnta.

#75 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 07:45 AM

So here's a tricky one for those to whom this kind of thing is important - how much of a dealbreaker is really bad spelling in a potential girl/boyfriend/wife/husband/whatever? Does anyone get turned off by it or doesn't it bother you?

It is a dealbreaker. It is a turn off.

Conversely, correct writing is a turn on.

#76 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 08:53 PM

Bad spelling ok if just meeting & just talking/texting. Not ok if she has known me a while. If she's great in bed I dont give a damn.

#77 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 07:42 AM

"Bad spelling ..... Not ok if she has known me a while."

Are you inferring that one's ability to spell improves after a period of time in your presence?

#78 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 12:56 AM

My name is often misspelled at first. Damn callgirls.

#79 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 07:48 AM

Ah, I see.

#80 Santa

Santa

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6445 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 10:43 PM

A thing of beauty.

http://www.lettersof...ildrenised.html

#81 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 07:10 AM

To rejobulate.

That is superb.

The whole thing has a note of the floweriness of the 419 scam letters.

But, 'to rejobulate' Will become a verb of the future.

#82 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 07:25 AM

"...violently dejobbed in a twinkling". Utterly magnificent.

So mote it be.

I'd rejobulate him in a twinkling. NB this is not a filthy euphemism.

#83 Santa

Santa

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6445 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 07:26 PM

Another one. I LOVE it.

http://www.lettersof...lling-with.html

#84 AMC Hornet

AMC Hornet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5857 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 11:08 PM

Came across this one today, accompanying a picture of a volcanic eruption:

‘this town was oblivitated by the hot muddy ash!'

(Perhaps, if the town was so thoroughly obliterated, people may become oblivious to the fact that it had ever been there at all.)