83 replies to this topic

#1 Santa

Santa

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6445 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 11:11 AM

We're all in a bit of limbo at the moment and I've never known it so quiet here at CB.n. The more Deaver I read, the less excited I find myself about the next Bond novel and I'm not a gamer so there's not a lot going on for me at the moment in Bondworld. Still, I check in here regularly, even if I rarely comment and I miss the banter with some of the regulars. In order to pass the time, I decided to give in to my basest instincts and attempt a little sermon. I see a lot to upset me here and can't help myself. I know it's wrong. Some have good reasons for it, most don't. It can't hurt to try...

Rediculous > ridiculous
Per say > per se
Simular > similar
It's > contraction of it is or it has
Its > belonging to or of it
Loose > your trousers when they are too big
Lose > misplace; the opposite of win
There > in that place
They're > contraction of they are
Their > belonging to or of them
Affect > to act upon; to move; to pretend or assume
Effect > to bring about or accomplish; result or consequence
Who's > contraction of who is or who has
Whose > possessive form of who
Your > belonging to or of you
You're > contraction of you are
Then > at that time
Than > used in comparison
Would of/could of/should of > would have/could have/should have
Wierd > weird
Write > to form letters
Right > the opposite of left; correct; entitlement
Bear > hairy mammal; to support; to give birth to
Bare > empty or exposed
Definately > definitely
Seperate > separate

Once again, I know.

#2 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 12:07 PM

We're all in a bit of limbo at the moment and I've never known it so quiet here at CB.n. The more Deaver I read, the less excited I find myself about the next Bond novel and I'm not a gamer so there's not a lot going on for me at the moment in Bondworld. Still, I check in here regularly, even if I rarely comment and I miss the banter with some of the regulars. In order to pass the time, I decided to give in to my basest instincts and attempt a little sermon. I see a lot to upset me here and can't help myself. I know it's wrong. Some have good reasons for it, most don't. It can't hurt to try...

Rediculous > ridiculous
Per say > per se
Simular > similar
It's > contraction of it is or it has
Its > belonging to or of it
Loose > your trousers when they are too big
Lose > misplace; the opposite of win
There > in that place
Affect > to act upon; to move; to pretend or assume
Effect > to bring about or accomplish; result or consequence
Who's > contraction of who is or who has
Whose > possessive form of who
Your > belonging to or of you
You're > contraction of you are
Then > at that time
Than > used in comparison
Would of/could of/should of > would have/could have/should have
Wierd > weird
Write > to form letters
Right > the opposite of left; correct; entitlement
Bear > hairy mammal; to support; to give birth to
Bare > empty or exposed
Definately > definitely
Seperate > separate

Once again, I know.

That was definately the write thing to of done. I cant bare the wierd and rediculous way some people spell there posts and its beggining to effect me. Your obivously write.

#3 Santa

Santa

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6445 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 12:32 PM

Jim, the whole thread was created for your benefit. I know I have a lot to teach you and I know you are grateful. I expect big things from you in the future.

#4 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 02:41 PM

Was watching Newsnight the other day. There was a discussion on excessive pay in the public sector, in which two highly-paid men (one of them some kind of local council bigwig said to be on a salary of about £300,000) kept saying "renumeration" when they meant "remuneration". I found myself angered not by the issue of levels of pay, so much as by the way they'd come out with remarks like "It's a decision for the renumeration committees" and "I don't decide my own renumeration". I mean, these people represent this country's so-called "top talent"!

#5 Santa

Santa

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6445 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 04:27 PM

Just remembered another:

Segway > segue

#6 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 04:34 PM

Just remembered another:

Segway > segue

Does that make alot of diffrents?

#7 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 04:59 PM

I hate it when people say "I was like" to mean "I said" ("I was like: 'Are you serious? We don't have time for that now.'").

Almost as annoying is the phenomenon of people saying "you know" every two seconds, which is something that even people who have obviously had expensive educations go in for.

Oh, and don't get me started on the errant apostrophe. But enough grammar policing - let's get back to discussing our Bond DVD's.

#8 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 05:16 PM

Here's another one: "disinterested" means "unbiased", so if you type "I'm disinterested in the Harry Potter series", what you're actually stating is that you have no personal stake in their box office performance.

I also wince when I see discussions of "the best actor in the roll of Bond".

#9 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 05:40 PM

Oh, and don't get me started on the errant apostrophe. But enough grammar policing - let's get back to discussing our Bond DVD's.

An errant apostrophe.

#10 Santa

Santa

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6445 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 07:33 PM

I also wince when I see discussions of "the best actor in the roll of Bond".

Oh God, YES! Loomis, I think I'm having a Meg Ryan moment.

Roll > what one does in the hay; round bread thing you fill with tuna and sweetcorn
Role > part played by an actor

#11 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 09:59 PM

An errant apostrophe.

I should of been more clear it was deliberate.

#12 Skudor

Skudor

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9286 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 01:14 PM

Great thread! Somewhere at the back of my head there are a couple of examples to add to this but I can't for the life of me think of them at the moment.

#13 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 02:54 PM

An errant apostrophe.

I should of been more clear it was deliberate.

I should of known. You're sense of humour sometimes looses me.

#14 Scrambled Eggs

Scrambled Eggs

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 04:00 PM

I'm not a grammar Nazi, but...

There > in that place

...anyone who fails to understand the above should be humanely slaughtered.

Harsh?

#15 Santa

Santa

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6445 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 06:10 PM

I'm not a grammar Nazi, but...

There > in that place

...anyone who fails to understand the above should be humanely slaughtered.

Harsh?

Not at all! Let's be honest, those are the basics so it makes sense to just put them out of their (and our) misery.

#16 MrKidd

MrKidd

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 328 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 01:52 AM

i find it really irritating when people don't use capital letters. even after full stops.

#17 Skudor

Skudor

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9286 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 10:28 AM

i find it really irritating when people don't use capital letters. even after full stops.

Very true.

#18 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 03:43 PM

While reading the Graham Rye interview, there is a;

Take President / Precedence.

Oh dear.

Q: How do you respond to criticisms that the production of OO7 Magazine is uneven, with long periods between some issues?

A: When you’re a one-man band and you have to work within an extremely limited budget, sometimes other things take president. Simple as that. Only a major influx of a substantial amount of cash will ever remove that particular problem. However, during 2004 the publication of OO7 Magazine became far more regular than at anytime in the past. But to quote Mae West, “Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly.”

#19 Santa

Santa

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6445 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 06:27 PM

Oh! My daughter yells at me when I tell her to not split her infinitives and dangle her participles.

It's not : Keep crime out.

It's : Keep out crime.

Hint: Always do your best to end your sentences with a noun.

I learned this in high school, but unfortunately, our school system is not what it used to be. My daughter said, "They never taught us that !!"

*Pamela sits and waits for the 'dangling participle' jokes*

While I fully admit to being a very sad case in these matters, I have accepted that fashions change, in language as much as anything else, so I have come to accept the split infinitive - in no small part thanks to Star Trek. 'To boldly go' just works so much better then 'boldly to go' or 'to go boldly'. As far as 'keep crime out' goes, I'd say that's the imperative rather than the infinitive so I can give that a pass too.

Take President / Predence.

Oh dear.

Q How do you respond to criticisms that the production of OO7 Magazine is uneven, with long periods between some issues?

A When you’re a one-man band and you have to work within an extremely limited budget, sometimes other things take president. Simple as that. Only a major influx of a substantial amount of cash will ever remove that particular problem. However, during 2004 the publication of OO7 Magazine became far more regular than at anytime in the past. But to quote Mae West, “Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly.”

Yuk. That one is physically painful.

I don't mean to be a bitch about the issue - everyone makes mistakes. Right now I'm dealing with an increasing number of failing keys, particularly c, f and g. [censored] happens. There are, however, a number of repeat offenders here. They'll probably say this stuff doesn't matter but when I receive a CV containing these kinds of errors, it goes straight in the bin without any further consideration (and there have been thousands) - and I'm not alone in this. I've had the point made that one doesn't have to be particuarly good at spelling to be a good floor manager or sound engineer, for example - no, indeed one doesn't. However if you're sloppy on your CV, you're equally likely to be sloppy on the job. It shows a lack of attention to detail and a lack of pride in the task at hand. It's frightening the amount of times I've seen 'I pay great attantion to detale' on a job application. Really? Are you also a comedian in your spare time?

Sorry, rant over!

#20 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 12:04 AM

Not sure with whom the 'President' error lay, but in point of fact, I too erred in the reporting of such only to hastely return to the scene of my crime to edit.

My excuse: I was rushing to close down the laptop when I was writing the comment.

Thinking still further, and I only remembered this because someone in another forum received positively my written point, public applaud is sometime demonstrated with;

Here here.

Where, where, I ask him. There, there, perhaps?

#21 Mark_Hazard

Mark_Hazard

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 12:21 AM

A question.

Something I was working on the other day - can't for the life of me remember what, I'm getting old - I had the need to comment on spelling.

In what circumstances does one use either spelt or spelled - I have nearly always used spelt, but consistently see similar references where spelled is used instead, grammar was never my strongest point - in fact I hated English at school.

#22 Santa

Santa

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6445 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 08:16 AM

Both are accepted forms.

A couple more:

Hastely > hastily
Truely > truly

#23 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 03:15 PM

Pamela,

I note in your other thread you're guilty of more than just 'truly'.

I would of waited for Bond to come on. It would of showed integrety to the concept of what the author intended the series to be- what made the film makers want to turn it into film in the first place.

Think you also double-'M'ed Fleming's name.

You won't be killed though...if we are to collectively improve our language skills.

#24 Santa

Santa

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6445 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 03:29 PM

That did upset me but Pamela seems to be having a [censored]ty week so I decided to let her off just this once.

#25 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 11:43 PM

Santa - have the courage of your convictions...

This is afterall, your fight.

#26 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 05:18 AM

Santa - have the courage of your convictions...

This is afterall, your fight.

Alot simular to the spirit of Sir Ian Flemming.

#27 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 01:39 PM

Oh! My daughter yells at me when I tell her to not split her infinitives and dangle her participles.

It's not : Keep crime out.

It's : Keep out crime.

Hint: Always do your best to end your sentences with a noun.

I learned this in high school, but unfortunately, our school system is not what it used to be. My daughter said, "They never taught us that !!"

*Pamela sits and waits for the 'dangling participle' jokes*

While I fully admit to being a very sad case in these matters, I have accepted that fashions change, in language as much as anything else, so I have come to accept the split infinitive - in no small part thanks to Star Trek. 'To boldly go' just works so much better then 'boldly to go' or 'to go boldly'. As far as 'keep crime out' goes, I'd say that's the imperative rather than the infinitive so I can give that a pass too.

Take President / Predence.

Oh dear.

Q How do you respond to criticisms that the production of OO7 Magazine is uneven, with long periods between some issues?

A When you’re a one-man band and you have to work within an extremely limited budget, sometimes other things take president. Simple as that. Only a major influx of a substantial amount of cash will ever remove that particular problem. However, during 2004 the publication of OO7 Magazine became far more regular than at anytime in the past. But to quote Mae West, “Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly.”

Yuk. That one is physically painful.

I don't mean to be a bitch about the issue - everyone makes mistakes. Right now I'm dealing with an increasing number of failing keys, particularly c, f and g. [censored] happens. There are, however, a number of repeat offenders here. They'll probably say this stuff doesn't matter but when I receive a CV containing these kinds of errors, it goes straight in the bin without any further consideration (and there have been thousands) - and I'm not alone in this. I've had the point made that one doesn't have to be particuarly good at spelling to be a good floor manager or sound engineer, for example - no, indeed one doesn't. However if you're sloppy on your CV, you're equally likely to be sloppy on the job. It shows a lack of attention to detail and a lack of pride in the task at hand. It's frightening the amount of times I've seen 'I pay great attantion to detale' on a job application. Really? Are you also a comedian in your spare time?

Sorry, rant over!

I shall absorb your rant.

I am recruiting a new P.A. Reading applications and covering letters is becoming a galling process.

1. Nobody appears to know when and when not to use either of Yours faithfully or Yours sincerely; some hedging their bets with just "Yours". Bin.

2. When sending an application for a job by email, consider whether it is appropriate to express the email in text language. I look forward 2 hearing from u. It'll be a long, long wait, my darling. Bin.

3. A spate of expressions such as "If you have any more questions, please do not hesitate to contact myself" - where has this vogue for replacing "me" with "myself" come from? Very bin.

4. As for the miserable cretin who proclaimed that he was "very interested in working for yourself" - the bin offers it too much dignity.

I have arrived at the conclusion that it's not the case that there are no jobs out there; there are jobs, but people are too [censored]ing educationally subnormal to be appointed.

As for the curricula vitae, it appears to be a struggle for many to put c and v in the right order, or spell either correctly.

Dismal. I despair.

#28 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 03:06 PM

Very amusing.

Totally sympathise, and thank the Lord I don't actually have to empathise in the sense of reading others' CVs.

That said, the writing skills of 'today' are utterly abhorrent.

That said, I am reminded of a time working in a corporate video facility where multiple reviews of a Volvo company video did not raise anyone's attention to the fact that the main title said, Vovlo.

Clearly, this was before my time.

#29 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 05:47 PM

Got a real winner here.

Verbatim:-

"I am intrested in this chalengeing area of work. I have always prouded myself on my deddication to any job am am involved in and my foursight in developing startgy and plans in this everchanging field".

cv claims this person is a History graduate from something called Liverpool University.

I believe him.

Might employ him as some sort of pet. Or a footstool.

#30 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 05:58 PM

Oh Lord.

Is yours not an area apropos of words, very specifically? Are you not an editor, that edits language as opposed to strips of film?

If so, there are two very obvious and lonely dots that people seem not to be connecting.