82 replies to this topic

#31 The sniper was a woman

The sniper was a woman

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 125 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 07:51 PM

Except the driver and the wheels, perfect !

#32 Goodnight

Goodnight

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1917 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 10:11 PM

Except the driver and the wheels, perfect !

Thanks for the feedback :)

I can't draw living creatures, end of. I didn't have a compass available so I couldn't get that front wheel into a decent semi circle. . Also the car is at the wrong angle and the side window is completely the wrong shape :S . I might do the drawing again soon and (hopefully) improve it. Although it isn't too bad for someone that doesn't and can't draw :tdown:. I do like art, but I'm rubbish at it :(

#33 The sniper was a woman

The sniper was a woman

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 125 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 10:14 AM

Thanks for the feedback :)

Although it isn't too bad for someone that doesn't and can't draw :tdown:. I do like art, but I'm rubbish at it :(

My pleasure !
It's good, really.
Have you tried with "The Legend" ? :)
Posted Image

#34 Goodnight

Goodnight

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1917 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 12:46 PM

My pleasure !
It's good, really.
Have you tried with "The Legend" ? :)
Posted Image

Wow that sounds like a project! I'll try not to make a pig's ear of it :S

Cheers :D

#35 MrKidd

MrKidd

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 328 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 06:32 PM

Hi – haven’t been around for a while but decided I’d pop back in. Nice thread Goodnight (if you like cars that is). I’m no car enthusiast but I am enthusiastic about cars – and I can’t think of a more beautiful car than the Jaguar E-type. To be honest I’ve not been all that interested in Jags for some time, and living in the US you don’t see all that many anyway. But a good friend of mine has recently got a new XK and I’ve seen a few 2011 XJ’s on the road. They both look outstanding. Would love to hear Mr Jaguar’s view on these. Now we all have biases and I can tell yours from a mile-off :) but I’d love to hear how you think these new Jags stack up against the competition…

#36 Goodnight

Goodnight

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1917 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 07:26 PM

Hey Goodnight, do you dream of cars ?? LOLOL !!!

:D

It's funny you should say that :cooltongue: .I had a dream (ages ago) that I had an Aston Vanquish, but my dad kept telling me that although the car was mine and he didn't mind me driving it, I wasn't supposed to take it out, because I wasn't insured to drive it and it wasn't taxed. I said to him,

"But what if the police or someone I know see me in it? They will know I'm not supposed to drive it",
He replied,
"Use the adaptive camouflage".

Turns out in my dream that I have James Bond's Aston from DAD. So when I was driving around my city of Southampton, I suddenly see flashing blue lights, it's a police car and it's flooring towards me, so I hit the adaptive camouflage button and boot it down the straight.

An invisible Aston Martin may not have been all that believable in DAD, but it was perfectly plausible in my dream. :D

So in anwser 'do I dream of cars?'...Yes, I do! :dizzy: ;)

MrKidd - Thanks for the post. The Jaguar E type is a beauty :D

#37 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 09:44 PM

Hi – haven’t been around for a while but decided I’d pop back in. Nice thread Goodnight (if you like cars that is). I’m no car enthusiast but I am enthusiastic about cars – and I can’t think of a more beautiful car than the Jaguar E-type. To be honest I’ve not been all that interested in Jags for some time, and living in the US you don’t see all that many anyway. But a good friend of mine has recently got a new XK and I’ve seen a few 2011 XJ’s on the road. They both look outstanding. Would love to hear Mr Jaguar’s view on these. Now we all have biases and I can tell yours from a mile-off :) but I’d love to hear how you think these new Jags stack up against the competition…

I think the E-type is probably the most beautiful car ever built, I wish they had not become so damn expensive because I would really like one. As far as the new XK, perhaps there might be one in my (distant) future. As far as the new XJ, it is stunning, I have driven the car and it drives and performs amazingly well. However I still need to warm up a bit to the new body style as the old original series 1-3 XJ is still my favorite sedan body style of all time.

#38 MrKidd

MrKidd

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 328 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 12:53 AM

I think the E-type is probably the most beautiful car ever built, I wish they had not become so damn expensive because I would really like one. As far as the new XK, perhaps there might be one in my (distant) future. As far as the new XJ, it is stunning, I have driven the car and it drives and performs amazingly well. However I still need to warm up a bit to the new body style as the old original series 1-3 XJ is still my favorite sedan body style of all time.

Had a feeling you'd be unsure about the body design -certainly something new to get used to. Personally while I admit the older design is a classic I can't help but think it looks dated. I think Jaguar had to do something dramatic to keep up with the competition. IMO they've done an incredible job with the XJ - I like both the exterior and interior styling. Taste-wise it's not the car for me but I like what they've done with the XJ and hope it does really well for them. BTW - my buddy LOVES his XK! :)

Edited by MrKidd, 23 November 2010 - 01:28 AM.

#39 darkpath

darkpath

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2688 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 02:55 AM

My personal opinion regarding the E-type is that the only thing dated about it was the windshield angle (which, from what I understand, is also why the E-type is not as aerodynamic as one would assume given the bullet-like ogive of the nose). The new XK has a modern windscreen angle while still paying respectful homage to the E-type.

#40 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 07:18 AM

Mr. Kidd,
I do think the new XJ body is the right direction for Jaguar, and I think it is a stunning car, my only problem is I think it looks a little too Lexusish (especially the XF). I just need to get used it it. When you see a new XJ you may not know right away that it is a Jaguar, but you do know it is something special.

Darkpath,
The windshield rake on the E-types varied depending on the series.

#41 MrKidd

MrKidd

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 328 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 02:47 PM

Mr. Kidd,
I do think the new XJ body is the right direction for Jaguar, and I think it is a stunning car, my only problem is I think it looks a little too Lexusish (especially the XF). I just need to get used it it. When you see a new XJ you may not know right away that it is a Jaguar, but you do know it is something special.

Darkpath,
The windshield rake on the E-types varied depending on the series.

Yes, I understand what you're saying although personally I don't see Lexus in the design. I think the XJ looks pretty distinctive. Jaguar is one of those marques that invoke an emotional response in people so they need to tread a fine line with any changes. Now why don't we change the subject to the Aston Martin Cygnet...? I'd have thought it was an April's Fool prank; you've got to be [censored]in' kidding!

#42 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 04:23 PM

Now why don't we change the subject to the Aston Martin Cygnet...? I'd have thought it was an April's Fool prank; you've got to be [censored]in' kidding!

Perhaps the less said the better

#43 Goodnight

Goodnight

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1917 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 10:30 PM

Good evening Goodnight.

I've read in the past concerning dream interpretaions. And sometimes, not always, but sometimes, a parent in a dream represents "your own better judgement." Do you think it could be that you are telling yourself that you are a very capable driver ? Were you a child when you had this dream ? If so, it could be you were trying to tell yourself not to worry that you would be a good driver. Or were you already driving ? If so, the dream could have meant that you think you could go farther with your driving. Also, driving forward means, well, driving forward. In life perhaps..... ;)

In other words, I think the dream was your mind telling you that you know what you are capable of.

From your car experience posts, I would tend to agree with your dream. :)

Thank you for your feedback. :) I had this dream about a year ago and I've been driving since January 2007. Did you see that.....?....2(007) ;) :D.
Anyway I guess I became a car fan because of my dad, plus he knows pretty much everything (mechanically wise) about cars. So if I need to know something, my (wonderful) dad is the man to ask! B)

I don't tend to think of myself as an amazing driver. However in the (nearly) four years I've been driving I have not had to claim on my insurance and I don't have any points on my licence. :)

Although within my first year of driving, I don't know how I never got caught speeding, looking back now I don't even know how I'm still alive. I used to take stupid and dangerous risks, purely because I enjoyed the feeling of 'getting away with it' so to speak. I used to be even more insane than Xenia was in that Ferrari, although if I had a Ferrari when I was 18...I probably would have died. I have calmed down a lot over the past couple of years now though, and I look to back on my old driving days with complete digust.

Now why don't we change the subject to the Aston Martin Cygnet...? I'd have thought it was an April's Fool prank; you've got to be [censored]in' kidding!

There have been worse cars in the world.

Ladies and Gentlemen welcome to the tragic, lazy, ill thought out side of the modified car world.
Posted Image

#44 jrcjohnny99

jrcjohnny99

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 12:11 AM

Anyone been to the LA Auto show this year?
am considering going tomorrow....

#45 darkpath

darkpath

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2688 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 02:32 AM

Ladies and Gentlemen welcome to the tragic, lazy, ill thought out side of the modified car world.
Posted Image

I still give them props for color matching the rear spoiler and the lower body cladding.

#46 darkpath

darkpath

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2688 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 04:02 PM

If your motor has a tendency to run on the hot side (late '60s Ford Mustangs, Triumph TR8s, 3rd generation Mazda RX-7s, etc) I would very much like to recommend considering Propylene Glycol-based waterless coolants. These coolants still have a 300F boiling point (without pressure caps) , better address localized hot spots, and, lacking water in the mix, does not support corrosion because it isn't a conductor.

My Mazda RX-8 has a known issue with the coolant seals around the exhaust ports (especially when converted to forced induction) due to localized boiling degrading those seals when used with ethylene-glycol/water mixture coolants, so I completely side-stepped that issue, reducing the strain on those seals dramatically by adopting propylene waterless coolant.

As an additional advantage, should a stone get kicked up from the road surface and perforate the radiator, I will have a gradual loss of cooling capacity as the coolant leaks out. With a pressurized system, perforation causes an immediate drop in boiling point from 250F to about 212F and a catastrophic boil-over.

I deliberately did not mention the brand of coolant I am using because my point was to raise the technical merits of the type of coolant, not pitch for a specific product.

#47 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 04:17 PM

If your motor has a tendency to run on the hot side (late '60s Ford Mustangs, Triumph TR8s, 3rd generation Mazda RX-7s, etc) I would very much like to recommend considering Propylene Glycol-based waterless coolants. These coolants still have a 300F boiling point (without pressure caps) , better address localized hot spots, and, lacking water in the mix, does not support corrosion because it isn't a conductor.

My Mazda RX-8 has a known issue with the coolant seals around the exhaust ports (especially when converted to forced induction) due to localized boiling degrading those seals when used with ethylene-glycol/water mixture coolants, so I completely side-stepped that issue, reducing the strain on those seals dramatically by adopting propylene waterless coolant.

As an additional advantage, should a stone get kicked up from the road surface and perforate the radiator, I will have a gradual loss of cooling capacity as the coolant leaks out. With a pressurized system, perforation causes an immediate drop in boiling point from 250F to about 212F and a catastrophic boil-over.

I deliberately did not mention the brand of coolant I am using because my point was to raise the technical merits of the type of coolant, not pitch for a specific product.

Thanks for the heads up, something to consider for the V12 as 90% of that cars problems have to do with the cooling system.

#48 MrKidd

MrKidd

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 328 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 05:18 PM

Posted Image

I still give them props for color matching the rear spoiler and the lower body cladding.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that but wow - that spoiler thing going on sure looks stoopid. what? why? how??!

#49 Achille Aubergine

Achille Aubergine

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 101 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 05:24 PM

Posted Image
Mercedes 600. Blofeld's car. The car of all superlatives in the Pullman version. Produce since 1963 until 1981. Length 246 inches width : 77 inches
200 km/h (120 mph).

#50 darkpath

darkpath

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2688 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 05:24 PM

I'm of the opinion that particular spoiler design is the ugliest on the market; but the placement does make sense, if this was a rally car, where doenforce at relatively low speeds is more important than minimizing drag. I think the owner of this car fancies himself or herself a rally driver.

#51 Achille Aubergine

Achille Aubergine

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 101 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 05:33 PM

Enjoy.

#52 Goodnight

Goodnight

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1917 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 09:00 PM

Posted Image

That is most certainly true Darkpath, but it doesn't change the fact that it is still complete c**p. During my 3 years at college I used to see these sort of cars all the time. Typically driven by male chavs. No wonder I had so many haters, when I was stormin' to college in my BMW. :D

I know of a female that drives a Peugeot 206 with the same sort of spoiler on it, as the one on the Corsa (picture). I see her occassionally when I come out of the gym into the car park. The first time she saw me, she happened to park her car quite close to mine, and I get glared at by her everytime she sees me, oh and I've heard the whispers too. She doesn't even know my name.

But as my good friend told me...

"You know you're awesome when people that don't even know you, hate you already." :D

BTW why did this boy stick (what is clearly) a widescreen TV stand on the roof of his car?

#53 MrKidd

MrKidd

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 328 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 09:09 PM

I'm of the opinion that particular spoiler design is the ugliest on the market; but the placement does make sense, if this was a rally car, where doenforce at relatively low speeds is more important than minimizing drag. I think the owner of this car fancies himself or herself a rally driver.

Impressed with your technical knowledge darkpath I had no idea.

Enjoy.

They don't make them like that anymore! Can you imagine how impressive that car was for the time!? What movie was this Blofeld's car? What do you think he'd be driving today?.....

Edited by MrKidd, 26 November 2010 - 09:10 PM.

#54 Achille Aubergine

Achille Aubergine

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 101 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 09:46 AM

What movie was this Blofeld's car? What do you think he'd be driving today?.....

In OHMSS. You can see it at the end.

Posted Image

Today ? The Maybach of course ! The new Pullmann.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Edited by Achille Aubergine, 27 November 2010 - 09:48 AM.

#55 MrKidd

MrKidd

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 328 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 05:53 PM

What movie was this Blofeld's car? What do you think he'd be driving today?.....

In OHMSS. You can see it at the end.

Posted Image

Today ? The Maybach of course ! The new Pullmann.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Nice interior, although the Audi A8 or Lexus LS are lovely too and for alot less $$$! Do you think Ernst would wait until the dealerships promote their winter sale events? And if its legroom he's interested in then he can't go far wrong with a Honda Odyssey! :)

#56 Goodnight

Goodnight

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1917 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 09:20 PM

Achille Aubergine and MrKidd - Thanks for posting here :tup: :D

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

"You can't make a silk purse, from a sows ear." ;)

Edited by Goodnight, 30 November 2010 - 09:21 PM.

#57 The sniper was a woman

The sniper was a woman

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 125 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 11:22 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image
Your beautiful new car OO7...will you need collision coverage?

:D

Nice interior, although Lexus LS

Blofeld in a Lexus ? Tiger Tanaka maybe but certainly not Blofeld !

Edited by The sniper was a woman, 01 December 2010 - 11:25 AM.

#58 Goodnight

Goodnight

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1917 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 09:10 PM

Some gratuitous shots....because I feel like it. ;)
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
:cooltongue:

#59 darkpath

darkpath

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2688 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 05:38 PM

Having just transferred to a better job but one I have to drive 160Km (round trip) each day, I'd been thinking of picking up a somewhat less thirsty vehicle to reduce the costs, as well as give me a backup option. While thinking of what would be fun but old enough to not be insanely expensive, I remembered a car from the early 1990s that I'd loved the lines of and wished I'd gotten to take a turn behind the wheel in....

The Isuzu Impulse RS. I think it was called the Piazza in the UK. It was a small four place coupé with the same turbocharged four cylinder as Lotus used in the Elan convertible from the same time frame, and putting power to all four corners via Ferguson viscous couplings. Tragically, this car was released just prior Isuzu withdrawing from the US car market, so only about 1000 were sold in the US and finding one is nearly impossible now. :(
Posted Image

http://sportcompactc...e-rs/index.html

http://www.carlustbl...-impulse-r.html

http://en.wikipedia....ki/Isuzu_Piazza

#60 darkpath

darkpath

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2688 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 08:53 PM

Thanks for the heads up, something to consider for the V12 as 90% of that cars problems have to do with the cooling system.

Last Summer, I had the opportunity to put it to a rather frightening acid test. It happened that on the weekend that my wife planned our family trip to Hershey, PA, as the weather took an unexpected turn for the triple digit hot (110F, if I recall). I had been driving for a solid 3 and then got stuck in stop and go traffic while having to keep the AC running at full blast because my daughter had fallen asleep in the car. My coolant temperatures hit a maximum of 245F with no damage to the engine, no knock, no ping, no indications of uncontrolled hot spots, or any other indications that the engine was in distress in any way. Had I been using conventional coolants, I believe I would have had a very expensive tow and overhaul. Instead, I am still using the original engine.

This week, I started using a tuner service by a fellow in Arizona. He uses a device known as a Cobb AccessPort to lay an altered fuel/air and ignition map onto the car's PCM. It also lets logs of air/fuel ratios measured by the car's wide-band oxygen sensor as well as other parameters to allow fine tuning to my specific car, even though the tuner and I are far from close to one another. Just from the baseline map, the car feels better than new.:)