819 replies to this topic

#121 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 05:37 AM

Batman: Arkham Asylum was recently released in a special "game of the year" edition which allowed players to switch on 3D mode and use cardboard 3D glasses on any TV to play the game in 3D.

The reason I mention this is because on the Blood Stone site, under media, they have a section for 3D screenshots. This could mean anything. It could just mean you can view the screen shot from multiple angles. Or, perhaps Blood Stone will feature a 3D mode??

Well PS3 can do 3D if you have one of those 3D TVs to go along with it - or at least I thought that was required. The 360 has something similar in the works. All the games will technically work in 3D, but they'll probably need to be patched. It's possible that Activision pushed for it as a feature (or future proof feature?) and built it into the budget now instead of patching it later.

That's all assuming you're right about this. I imagine there's a shred of truth here.

#122 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 07:33 AM

Bloodstone really got me interested now and 3d would be awesome!

#123 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 08:48 AM

And TND is the most original film of Brosnan's era, no question.

Hmm. It ain't, you know. Even DAD had Bond captured and confined for 18 months: I haven't seen any other Bond films doing that.

To momentarily go off topic....

Die Another Day was also a disaster in terms of plotting, dialogue, and action choreography. It was all horribly cliche, void of any originality whatsoever. I will agree that the first 20 mins of the film are its best because it does venture from the formula, but after Bond goes rogue, it's all very been there done that. TND, while hardly a revolutionary work in the Bond canon, had the most interesting plot of the Brosnan era (TWINE gets very close, but falters in execution and simply comes across as bland). The "Why?" of the villains plan wasn't world domination, but TV ratings. Carver was a wonderfuly eccentric character that had menace without being physically imposing. He also didn't change nationalities...which is, I will admit, certainly hasn't been done before, but there's probably a reason for that.

Back on topic...

Are they really shipping Bloodstone on the same date as Goldeneye? November 2nd? Interesting. Right around Midterms, joy.

TND is his best Bond film I'd say, but the plot is extremely straightforward Bond stuff. The only interesting idea is Carver as a media baron. TWINE is actually a rather nice spy story: the plot is miles ahead of TND and is Brosnan's best. That doesn't make it his best film, but it's his best plot. I'd say DAD is probably the more interesting after that.

#124 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 10:11 AM

It's the only Brosnan film to just be a complete retread of the formula, with no innovations or new elements beyond some scrubbing up for modern audiences.

What about Bond meeting Paris? A woman from his past? We haven't had that before in a Bond movie.

Sylvia Trench From Russia with love.

Errrr. Not really. From Russia With Love was set 6 months after Dr. No, and Bond didn't just come across Sylvia again, he met up with her. Bond met Paris in completely different circumstances. Plus, the idea of an old flame now emotionally involved with the villain is new.

#125 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 10:42 AM

It's the only Brosnan film to just be a complete retread of the formula, with no innovations or new elements beyond some scrubbing up for modern audiences.

What about Bond meeting Paris? A woman from his past? We haven't had that before in a Bond movie.

Sylvia Trench From Russia with love.

Errrr. Not really. From Russia With Love was set 6 months after Dr. No, and Bond didn't just come across Sylvia again, he met up with her. Bond met Paris in completely different circumstances. Plus, the idea of an old flame now emotionally involved with the villain is new.

But if we're criticising TWINE and DAD for being executed poorly then that plotline doesn't escape: it's utterly unbelievable that Paris is the one 'that got too close' because she's so dull and her and Pierce share no sort of chemistry whatsoever. And then she's dead. It's barely there as a plotline: you can hardly say TND is the most original because of that.

#126 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 10:44 AM

I didn't say it was most original Bond film. I was merely defending it. Who cares if it's a retread? It's only a movie, and an entertaining one at that. Why can't BloodStone be the same? Just a fun game, that will kill a few hours? It doesn't have to be groundbreaking. As long as it entertains me, then it's more than ok.

At least Blood Stone, and Tomorrow Never Dies for that matter, is more original than that Wii exlusive, GoldenEye 2010.

#127 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 11:52 AM

Here are some points I’ve gleaned from a few articles:

30 percent of the game is driving
There is a street race in Istanbul
Another level involves escaping a city as buildings collapse around you
It will not be 3D, or compatible with PlayStation Move
The game encourages and rewards stealth and Craig-like takedowns with Focus tokens
The run time will be longer than a movie, but not 12 hours

#128 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 11:56 AM

Very interesting, Sharpshooter! Thanks for this. The collapsing buildings thing is interesting. It reminds me a lot of Alone in the Dark. The run time I don't have much of a problem with. It's not like I will play it straight through anyway.

#129 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 12:02 PM

Could 3D perhaps come later as an add on or something I wonder???

#130 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 12:06 PM

I didn't say it was most original Bond film. I was merely defending it. Who cares if it's a retread? It's only a movie, and an entertaining one at that.

We were debating its originality.

Here are some points I’ve gleaned from a few articles:

30 percent of the game is driving
There is a street race in Istanbul
Another level involves escaping a city as buildings collapse around you
It will not be 3D, or compatible with PlayStation Move
The game encourages and rewards stealth and Craig-like takedowns with Focus tokens
The run time will be longer than a movie, but not 12 hours

Damn! That was always my idea for a Bond: I'd have had him raid a bank and hide it out in the vault :D

#131 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 12:09 PM

I didn't say it was most original Bond film. I was merely defending it. Who cares if it's a retread? It's only a movie, and an entertaining one at that.

You and YouKnowTheName were. The only thing I mentioned was the Bond/Paris thing.

#132 Tybre

Tybre

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3057 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 01:15 PM

Suits me just fine. I'm a paranoid wussy when it comes to video games. Stealth and cover are about the only ways I stay alive.

#133 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 02:57 PM

You and YouKnowTheName were. The only thing I mentioned was the Bond/Paris thing.

As an example of its originality, surely? You said that it hadn't been done before...?! 'the idea of an old flame now emotionally involved with the villain is new' etc.

#134 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 03:01 PM

Indeed. It's only one example though. The only thing I could think of. I know Tomorrow Never Dies isn't that original. I was just giving YouKnowTheName an example that doesn't make the movie entirely unoriginal, if you know what I mean.

#135 agentjamesbond007

agentjamesbond007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1963 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 01:56 AM

The theme song is alright, but I think it could have been better

#136 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 12:53 PM

Theme is actually growing onm me now, didn't like it the first time.

#137 TheREAL008

TheREAL008

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1190 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 11:51 PM

Any chance of multiplayer and a less frustrating 007 difficulty? :P

#138 MattofSteel

MattofSteel

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2482 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 11:53 PM

The theme song is alright, but I think it could have been better

I'm indifferent to it. It's rather standard. Miss Stone does have quite the voice, though.

#139 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 04:31 AM

Activision sent over the title sequence to CBn today so we've uploaded the video to YouTube. Why is this noteworthy? Because it's in 720p and that's pretty cool.

Link

#140 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 02:19 PM

They sent it directly to CBn? Neat!

#141 00Kevin

00Kevin

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 699 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 03:56 PM

i'm not a huge fan of 3rd person shooters, i too believe that FPS is the bond way but i'll take a new bond game never-the-less. the fact that we have both a FPS and a separate 3rd person coming out the same year should silence anyone who has a problem.

i was pretty bummed that goldeneye was only for Wii, but the news of bloodstone has eased my frustration. i'll probably end up buying both. I know gamestop is selling refurbished wiis for $130, there have been a number of wii games that were interesting but i misses, now is my chance

#142 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 03:56 PM

A great look at the opening cinematic:

Interesting to note the use of the cool location font for "ATHENS, GREECE" similar to what they did with the ones in Quantum of Solace.

Also, the music is by far the best we've seen in a Bond game. The Bond theme isn't being beaten to death which is fantastic.

#143 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 04:24 PM

Absolutely. Also got invited to Comic-Con to see both games and talk to the developers. Expect a report on that soon. :)

#144 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 04:35 PM

Absolutely. Also got invited to Comic-Con to see both games and talk to the developers. Expect a report on that soon. :)

Cool! Can't wait :tup:

#145 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 05:17 PM

Great gane play. I love the new shots, but overall it's nothing we haven't seen before though. Just an extra scene at the start, which looks brilliant.

Really looking forward to the report! :tup:

#146 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 02:43 AM

Nothing really new to comment on, except that nice QoS inspired title card.

#147 bondrules

bondrules

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2190 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 05:05 AM

A great look at the opening cinematic:

Interesting to note the use of the cool location font for "ATHENS, GREECE" similar to what they did with the ones in Quantum of Solace.

Also, the music is by far the best we've seen in a Bond game. The Bond theme isn't being beaten to death which is fantastic.

Thanks for posting. I`m sold. I have to get this game.
BTW, why are the reply2 boxes still black? It's really bothersome. I think twice now before replying anywhere due to this. That and the new rating feature. Makes me feel like I'm on Digg.com. It's no good. Hopefully those 2 changes will go away soon. :|

#148 Nicolas Suszczyk

Nicolas Suszczyk

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3735 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 10:13 PM

Yes... and there's another nasty filthy QOS habit... no gunbarrel :tdown:

"What? No white dots? No... walk-and-shot? That's the trouble with the game designers today, no-one takes the time to do a really ingenious gunbarrel sequence at the beginning of the game. It's a lost art!"

Still, Mr. Jacques is doing a good job with the music :)

#149 terminus

terminus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 01:04 AM

Just realised this won't be avaliable for the Wii - have begun the charm offensive on my relatives to try and convince them to buy me a PS3 and Blood Stone for Christmas.

#150 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 02:30 AM

Yes... and there's another nasty filthy QOS habit... no gunbarrel :tdown:

I honestly did not realise that until I read your observation above. I personally do not think they will include it. Not that it has bothered me in the last two films, as we have had it albeit in a different manner. And it bothers me even less in a videogame.

They allude to it with the walk and turn at the beginning of the titles, minus dots, just like the QoS titles allude to it as well, with the dots darting across the screen, minus Bond. I can't speak for Bond 23 or whatever happens with it, but I suppose it is possible Craig may never get one at the start.