819 replies to this topic

#61 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 03:17 AM

Has a specific release date been mentioned anywhere? I've seen "Holiday 2010" which seems very placeholder-ish. In November, Activision is already putting out Goldeneye on the Wii and the new Call of Duty game, so putting out three action shooters all in the same timeframe sounds insane. I'm guessing January for Bloodstone unless the release date has been set in, um, stone.

The Telegraph, reporting from the launch event, said it would be in stores for Christmas.

Hmm. I don't know why Activision would want to put three games out at the same time that are all competing for the same audience (Bloodstone, Goldeneye, and Call of Duty black ops). Of those three, I'd say Bloodstone would be the one most gamers would skip, if only because the other two have bigger name brand value. I'd prefer to see a Jan or Feb release date so it doesn't get lost in the shuffle. Bond fans will have Goldeneye to enjoy till then anyway!

GoldenEye is Wii only so I think they feel they're safe in that it's not competing that much. GoldenEye will likely do fine based on its name alone (though bad reviews could offset that greatly) as will Call of Duty. I'd bet on Blood Stone being a December release. It's away from those two, but still takes advantage of the holiday.

#62 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 03:40 AM

Firstly, I’m overjoyed Daniel Craig is starring in this game. And secondly, Nintendo Wii can have it’s GoldenEye exclusive, because right now, I couldn’t care less about it. I never did. This original game will absolutely cream it. I hereby declare Blood Stone Craig’s Everything or Nothing, and I believe it will even surpass that game.

Activision’s Quantum of Solace was serviceable, but I’m calling this their first true foray into Bond’s world. It perfectly highlights the potential of the brand. It truly looks next-gen graphic wise, the combat is intense, and the locations and set design are lovely. Saying I’m excited is a massive understatement.

#63 jwheels

jwheels

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1021 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 06:03 AM

It looks pretty good. This, with GoldenEye Wii, will make some good filler until Bond 23, with Project X too of course.

#64 Luke Pietnik

Luke Pietnik

Cadet

• Crew
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 09:28 AM

The titles were pretty cool. Not keen on the music but better than the last film theme, anyway. Did anyone else notice Bond giving one of the henchmen a kick in the wedding vegetables near the end?

#65 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 10:06 AM

The song is alright. Better than AWTD, but that's not a hard ask. Like Everything or Nothing's titles, they're rather simplistic, but they get the job done. This isn't a film budget we're dealing with here, and for a game, that money is rightly spent elsewhere. I wouldn't be putting a big emphasis on either anyway. I'd rather have them than not, as they make the experience feel more authentic. And if you don't like it, these cutscenes are usually skippable. It's what goes on during gameplay that matters, and Blood Stone looks the business.

#66 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 11:25 AM

I think this game looks absoloutely fantastic. HATE the Bond theme they used in the trailer though, it's so overused.

The footage looks great though, some shots don't look like Craig at all, but I'm sure that they'll touch up the graphics, consdering the game is still in development. Not too keen on the theme, but yet again, it's only a theme song. I'll learn to live with it.

#67 Mr_Wint

Mr_Wint

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2406 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 12:02 PM

I don't see much Bond in this. Looks more like Far Cry 3.

?? What? I don't think you've played either Far Cry or Far Cry 2. They're not even in the same ballpark as this.

Yeah, I don't understand that comparison...they both involve shooting, but that's about it. If anything, I'd say there's a Splinter Cell Conviction vibe going on with the action/shooter scenes.

I don't play shooters at all. Not even Bond.
I was referring to how they market Bond these days. It's Craig in his causal (and terrible) Miami International outfit surrounded by machine guns and explosions. Nothing tells me this is Bond, except for the music and the 007-logo.

#68 commanderblond

commanderblond

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 39 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 01:51 PM

I'm really looking forward to this, mainly because an old flatmate from college works for Bizarre Creations and is working on Blood Stone. I'm needling him for juicy titbits but those guys are NDA'd to the hilt :D

I didn't get round to playing QoS. Was it any good? The last 007 game I played was From Russia with Love, which frankly was a massively stupid game and a monumental disappointment. And because of Sean Connery's advancing years. it made James Bond sound like he was surviving on half a lung.

#69 Professor Dent

Professor Dent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5326 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 01:51 PM

An Everything or Nothing type of game with Craig as Bond - I'm in! Nice to see Activision going the original story route versus a driving only game. Does this have a new gaming engine or is takeoff of an existing one?

#70 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 02:28 PM

I wonder if they will attempt to tie it into the Craig-verse continuity in any fashion?

In any instance, I'll probably view it as a Craig outing, much as I view Everything or Nothing as Brosnan's fifth.

#71 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 02:30 PM

I wonder if they will attempt to tie it into the Craig-verse continuity in any fashion?

In any instance, I'll probably view it as a Craig outing, much as I view Everything or Nothing as Brosnan's fifth.

I've been thinking about that as well. That computer monitor is being used across all the games, and as we know that interface was used by Quantum in the game. Can't be a coincidence that they're using it.

#72 Jeao007

Jeao007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 192 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 04:51 PM

Looks very interesting. As soon as I get some money in my hands I will be pre-ordering both this and Goldeneye. Looks like it's going to be a good holiday season. ;)

#73 Quantumofsolace007

Quantumofsolace007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3488 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 05:20 PM

http://thetechjourna...3-preview.xhtml

Here is a new review a few things I wanna point out

1 only 5 driving levels
2 Very close to Eon and apparently Craig's style of bond film (which is always good)
3 A new set of villains. This I'm not as excited about considering I want more of Quantum but it's possible they are leaving Quantum alone in Blood Stone because they will appear in bond 23.

I am getting more hopeful with Blood Stone But Goldeneye looks far from being a bad bond game. Honestly both look cool and I hopefully will play and enjoy both of them.

#74 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 05:42 PM

I am getting more hopeful with Blood Stone But Goldeneye looks far from being a bad bond game.

It's probably because GoldenEye has been done before, and isn't that original. It's basically the same story, with the same levels. Of course it looks good.

#75 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 05:46 PM

I'm really interested in the length of this game. Hopefully it will last more than 5 hours. The great thing about Everything or Nothing was that despite the short length of the missions, there were over 20 of them, and a good portion towards the end were quite hard. I'm not expecting something as creative as EoN, as there were elements and mechanics to that game that were strokes of pure genius (the sections in Peru where Bond had to sneak around a hotel and steal a race car drivers uniform so he could compete for a chance to meet Diavlo were inspired and pure Bond). I'm hoping that the action isn't totally relentless, though for the pre-titles (the demo that was shown) it's necessary. I think investigation is key to the Bond experience; putting together the pieces of the puzzle and discovering what the plot really is. EoN had a great story to tell, with MI6 interludes that served to progress the story and show off some of the dialogue. Bloodstone has a lot to live up to, I really hope it succeeds, and from what we've seen so far, chances are quite good.

#76 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 05:51 PM

I really feel that this is make or break for Activision. Quantum of Solace was a film tie in, and so is GoldenEye in a way. Blood Stone is the only original story, so I really hope that Activision don't muck it up. From what I've seen, the game looks fantastic, and I will probably enjoy it immensely.

#77 Bill

Bill

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 257 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 07:14 PM

A song above and beyond Another Way to Die. It actually sounds like a Bond song (although some of the lyrics are a little difficult to understand.)

#78 agentjamesbond007

agentjamesbond007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1963 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 08:17 PM

Nice.

I look forward to playing this game! :cooltongue:

#79 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 09:05 PM

None of it looks terribly imaginative at this point (and the graphics don't look up to Uncharted at this point) but I'm in; I'll have a go.

#80 Gobi-1

Gobi-1

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1529 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 01:40 AM

The title song it serviceable enough, I'm hoping a full length version appears online soon. The titles unfortunately are not up to snuff. The only inspired bit is the Aston Martin kicking up diamonds like gravel. The rest of the titles lacks focus and energy.

#81 Sharpe

Sharpe

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 63 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 03:46 AM

Looks fantastic.

BUT - it looks far too easy in the trailer. Seems like bond shoots the guys automatically in some scenes, and the 'chase scenes', while obviously building on project gotham racing mechanics, are really cut down and easy-fied.

It's a shame.

#82 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 04:00 AM

I've been thinking about that as well.

By the sound of things, the game will stand alone. However, that doesn't rule out any possible connection, real or imagined. I think they will focus solely on this narrative and the previous two films will simply not be mentioned.

As for the gun play in the demo, I think they have the right idea. Most of those are head shots, and reality is, if you get shot anywhere, you're going to go down. The real world isn't like the game world, where guards stand there taking all forms of punishment.

#83 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 04:21 AM

Not since the FRWL game has one caught my attention like this has. The title song is growing on me and the trailer looks very cool. Love the skydive shot.

May actually have to buy myself a new game system.

Not too shabby indeed. :tup:

#84 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 11:41 AM

The title song it serviceable enough, I'm hoping a full length version appears online soon. The titles unfortunately are not up to snuff. The only inspired bit is the Aston Martin kicking up diamonds like gravel. The rest of the titles lacks focus and energy.

Yeah, they're pretty poor; unimaginative but I wouldn't be expecting much from a game. Shame they can't blow us away.

#85 terminus

terminus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2469 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 12:42 PM

Yeah, they're pretty poor; unimaginative but I wouldn't be expecting much from a game. Shame they can't blow us away.

Odd. I really didn't like the themetune - i'd imagined that we'd get a better number from the likes of Dave Stewart and Joss Stone. I feel a bit let down, to be honest, after the last truly original computer game song in 'Everything or Nothing'.

#86 Gogol Pushkin

Gogol Pushkin

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 164 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 01:06 PM

Okay, I gotta say I am officially excited for this. With no new movie this year, this will definitely keep me going, at least until the whole MGM mess is sorted. They seem to be pulling out the stops for this one and love how they're keeping the continuity consistent with what we've seen in the Daniel Craig/Bond canon, with the same font and style for the MI6 logos and place names. The title sequence as well is pretty good, very Kleinman esque flavour, and Joss Stone's song, whilst far from being a classic, is still better than what Jack White and Alicia Keys came up with for QoS. I'm expecting great things from this, hope it doesn't let us down.

#87 darthbond

darthbond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 839 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 02:08 PM

This could be really fantastic. Love the title, very excited at Activision's second shot in the 007 gaming world. Gotta say, this is the first time I've liked the title track from the first listen.

darthbond

#88 bondrules

bondrules

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2190 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 04:21 PM

I would guess that ITIA won't be available for commercial download (iTunes?)until the game is on the shelves. Too bad. The track is really growing on me.

#89 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 04:40 PM

Yeah it's stuck in my head. The opening lyrics aren't too great but the song gets all the more stronger as it goes on. The titles are great for a game. My expectations of the Bond gaming world and the Bond film world are essentially polar opposites. While there still needs to be a certain level of quality and authenticity in the gaming universe, my expectations are tailored more towards having fun than experiencing brooding, yet vibrant visuals and dialogue exchanges.

#90 The Dove

The Dove

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16671 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 07:11 PM

Gave the title song another try...sorry to say it's still very sucky for me!! Ugh..too bland and corny and Joss Stone has a VERY annoying voice!! :( Ahh well it doesn't really count as it's only a title song for a video game... I'm MUCH more interested in what the Bond 23 title song will be like..