114 replies to this topic

#91 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 02:03 AM

I think they're just talking about the individual post ratings. Little green and red plus/minus buttons on the bottom right. I just gave your post a plus. :)

I like it. It's not a big deal. I don't see getting rid of something just because it could be abused. Let's see how it goes.

#92 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 02:05 AM

I think they're just talking about the individual post ratings. Little green and red plus/minus buttons on the bottom right. I just gave your post a plus. :)

I like it. It's not a big deal. I don't see getting rid of something just because it could be abused. Let's see how it goes.

zen, I just rated your post (positively), just to see how it's done. :)

So, does this now go towards your, uh, tally or something? How do you find out your current, erm, score?

#93 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 02:06 AM

I feel the love. :)

#94 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 03:19 AM

zen, I just rated your post (positively), just to see how it's done. :)

So, does this now go towards your, uh, tally or something? How do you find out your current, erm, score?

Everybody's reputation rating is in their dossier under their photo. For instance, I have a rating of +10 which is still in "neutral" territory and I've seen someone on these forums with a -24, which is in "bad" territory. Ideally, somebody wants their reputation to be "neutral" or "good."

I don't understand why so many people are against the reputation ratings. They're exactly like the feedback ratings on eBay, they tell you who is respectable and who you should avoid.

#95 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 04:09 AM

I don't understand why so many people are against the reputation ratings. They're exactly like the feedback ratings on eBay, they tell you who is respectable and who you should avoid.

No, not quite. If they were "exactly like" Ebay's feedback ratings I'd have no problem, and even as it stands I still like the *idea* of the feedback ratings, just not the way it's been implemented. But going back to the Ebay analogy....with Ebay there is transparency; with CBn's reputation ratings there is not. I have a 100% positive rating at Ebay. I've never gotten a bad or neutral review in 12 years of using Ebay. But if I had, at least Ebay would:

• require the plaintiff to attach their name to the complaint
  • explain why they gave the person a neutral or bad review and
  • the defendant would be allowed to respond to the complaint and possibly resolve it.

Not so with CBn's reputation system. I have no idea who gave me negative and positive feedback (I've had 5 negatives and 3 positives), why, or, with the exception of one post, which posts received any feedback at all. It's a rather blind system at this point, completely open to fraud and abuse.

I'm only suggesting that, if possible, the system be tweaked to include controls and transparency; I am not suggesting shuttering the thing.

You make a very good point. I'd like to be able to know who gives me ratings also, however, I do trust most CBners to rate myself and others fairly.

#96 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 08:34 AM

I really do think it would be better if it remained anonymous though. I do agree with your point, I just think it might put some people off it. The beauty of it is that it avoids confrontation. I do trust that the members rate other members fairly. From what I've seen from the rating system, the people with positive feedback do deserve it. As do the members with negative feedback, such as 'Quantumofsolace007' and 'Bryan Herbert'.

#97 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 09:12 AM

I really do think it would be better if it remained anonymous though. I do agree with your point, I just think it might put some people off it. The beauty of it is that it avoids confrontation.

I think Gravity's Silhouette would argue that while it "avoids confrontation," there may be some instances where somebody would not give another member a -1 if he/she knew the recipient would be able to see who left the -1.

#98 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 11:54 AM

But what's the difference between one's "user rating" and one's "reputation"? Looking at my profile, I find that my user rating is five stars, yet my reputation is zero.

#99 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 12:41 PM

But what's the difference between one's "user rating" and one's "reputation"? Looking at my profile, I find that my user rating is five stars, yet my reputation is zero.

I, too, am confused.

#100 Aris007

Aris007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3037 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 02:52 PM

I see your point, but that makes things mechanic. The reason why I disagree here is because this is something that ruins the abillity to judge people. As you said, this can help somebody see who to avoid and so. Why not do that with judging the content of the post and the topics that the user makes instead of looking at some numbers? :S

#101 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 11:11 PM

I'm just going to pretend it not there. Therefore I will never know if I'm in the positive or negative. I can just see people using it to give negative ratings to a good poster just because they like Pierce Brosnan better than Daniel Craig and visa/versa.

BTW, am I positive or negative :D

#102 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 11:42 PM

You were one of the people I had in mind the other day when I said we had great posters who had a neutral reputation or a negative/zero rating. However, in all fairness, your post that I quoted above doesn't deserve a +1 rating, yet somebody felt that it did.

I'm flattered you think of me as a great poster, Grav (and while it may seem the automatic kneejerk "done thing " to fling a compliment right back at you, rest assured that I greatly enjoy your contributions to this site as well and am also somewhat in awe of your knowledge of the world of 007).

But I'm still confused. Okay, so it seems that one of my posts has landed a +1 rating. Now, what happens to this rating? Is some unseen piece of behind-the-scenes software busy adding it to a total, and what happens to this total? How many of my other posts have received a +1 rating? Are others now free to add their own +1s to that post of mine that has got one already? Is there a post of mine floating around that has garnered, say, 32 nods of approval? And how do these things affect my "user rating" and "reputation"?

And what is CBn's best-loved post of all time? The one that 105 people have awarded a +1 to?

Also, while I want to retain the ratings system, but with improvements, it's not as if we didn't know who to avoid or who to engage carefully with before the system was implemented.

Well, you're absolutely right. When I joined CBn back in 2002, I swiftly discovered that the most interesting and worthwhile posters included the likes of Bryce, Jim, zencat and a few others from those early days who still post here. I didn't need some kind of Leonard Maltin's four-star rating system to find that out. It was obvious.

#103 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 11:43 PM

Actually, it would be really helpful if I could see which posts of mine have been given reputation. I really can't be bothered to go searching for all of them individually.

Oh, and while we're on the subject, am I a valued poster around here? :D

#104 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 11:56 PM

Oh, and while we're on the subject, am I a valued poster around here? :D

value is in the eye of the beholder, Grasshopper

#105 Santa

Santa

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6445 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 12:08 AM

I think GS makes some very good points but I can't be bothered to get too wound up about the whole thing - I'm going to do the same as Jag and ignore it. I'm far too mercurial to use this kind of system - if I've had a crappy day at work I can see myself marking people negatively whereas on a good day, when I feel all is sunshine and butterflies and cute little puppies, I'd be marking up everyone. Even Bryan Herbert. Equally, there are occasionally people on here who I find annoying for no good reason, nothing to do with the quality of posts, and I suppose I'd mark them down too, which is just not fair. And I'm sure I'm not the only one, which makes a bit of a mockery of the system.

#106 Professor Dent

Professor Dent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5326 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 02:23 PM

I'm not planning on using the feature but, for those who do, it would be nice to see who is rating your posts. While anonymity can help with legitimately rating a post negatively without repercussions, it can also lead to gaming the ratings system either good or bad for someone. I guess we will just see how it goes &, hopefully, it will be a non-issue.

Oh GS, if I were using the system, I would give your last post a +1. :D

#107 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 03:59 PM

It would be nice to have more info re the post ratings, but this is an Invisionboard feature, it was not created by CBn, so there's not much more that can be done. It is what it is.

#108 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 07:23 PM

It would be nice to have more info re the post ratings, but this is an Invisionboard feature, it was not created by CBn, so there's not much more that can be done. It is what it is.

Essentially your posts are graded. If you make a good post people can click the + symbol and you get +1 to your Reputation. As far as I'm aware getting 100+ on a post won't really do anything, likewise a -100 won't do anything either (comment systems like Engadget will actually hide (or nuke) your post if enough members vote it down, I don't believe it works like that here). This is a per post thing, but it adds up to an overall Reputation. So your post at this time that I'm replying to had +2 which added +2 to your overall Reputation which is currently 14 (prior to the post it was 12). It's that simple as far as I'm aware. Reputation can be filtered. If you go to the bottom of the screen you'll see a lighter red bar that says "Currently viewing all posts. Change threshold?" - if you click that you can filter all the posts by people's Reputation. As the forum matures (enough to take advantage of this feature anyway) you may only be interested in people that only have a +20 reputation or whatever - kinda silly IMO and right now I don't think anybody even has that high of a reputation (on huge forums with a massive number of members this feature may be more welcomed - for us, it's kind of useless). Currently there is no threshold so you see everything by default. The whole thing can be disabled. The feature is on by default so we just left it.

The User Rating (stars) is a completely separate rating system.

#109 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 07:35 PM

How does the star rating work? That I can't seem to figure out.

#110 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 09:53 PM

How does the star rating work? That I can't seem to figure out.

Hover over the stars and click the rating. You can re-rate people I think.

That's pretty much it as far as I know.

#111 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 10:50 AM

The birthdays have disappeared again. :)

#112 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 05:26 PM

Congratulations to the technical team for the upgrade!
I for one appreciate the new configuration of the "follow this thread" feature, sending one heads-up by new post, instead of one only for the first post added.

Although, I do protest about one thing: at the very bottom of the page, you can select the language of the interface; the two choices are "German" (ok, why not), and "English (USA)"... Blimey, we're discussing a British spy here, how come we cannot do that in British English? ;)

#113 Nicolas Suszczyk

Nicolas Suszczyk

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3735 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 11:38 PM

How can I get to the "My Last 10 Posts" section?

#114 Brian Flagg

Brian Flagg

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 07:21 PM

I do miss the "download topic with Word", though.

So is that feature forever gone?

#115 Brian Flagg

Brian Flagg

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 04:36 PM

Not crazy about the new CBn Girl; IMO she looks like a drug-addled Mariah Carey. :D