80 replies to this topic

#61 TheREAL008

TheREAL008

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1190 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 05:18 PM

What about a Beretta PX4 Storm full size model?

Posted Image

Kind of makes sense, if Bond is going back to a Bentley, why not go back to a Beretta? It potentially has the same stopping power as Sniper's suggestion, concealment wouldn't be much of a problem either.

In all honesty - I don't see the new Bond carrying a small and light handgun. Although Deaver might prove me wrong. :D

Edited by TheREAL008, 21 March 2011 - 06:20 PM.

#62 billy007

billy007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 162 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 10:19 PM

One thing I had thoughts of driving home after meeting JD and our joking about whether or not I was "carrying" (I wasn't) was what about Bond's sidearm.

What would the re-booted JB be packing?

I looked through the threads about and decided to launch this one.

As someone who has carried for various duties yet never served in either law enforcement or the military and a gun owner and Bond afficianado, I do have some thoughts.

First, concealability.

Second, reliability.

Third, ammunition.

Fourth, stopping power.

Fifth, capacity.

Now, the traditional and beloved PPK is great for CQW - Close Quarter Weapon - and also covert. With a silencer, a slight cough would cover the noise. Either in .32 (7.65) or .380 (9mm short) would do, but that's for close work. A good back up and casual carry under a suit or on the hip or ankle.

Now, for the heavy work.

It's certainly got to be 9mm or .40 cal. - A number of Sig Sauers, Berettas, Glocks, S&W's and Colts offer many options.

If Bond (this new version of him) is a trained soldier, IMO he'd stick to something he could find ammo for anywhere. Hence - 9mm.

But, much like his choice in cars (as we've discussed), he might be inclined to go with something "tried and true".

My choice, the Browning HP. Staple of the SAS for 30 years. 13 round capacity. Slim. Good weight and balance IMO (I own one). Yes, single action, but any automatic is as good as a double-action after the first shot. Universal acceptance of all 126 types of 9mm and a delivery more like a cinder block through a brick wall. Accurate at over 60 meteres. It's a damn fine pistol next to the Colt M1911. Both of which are still in use nearly a century after their design.

Thoughts?

Keep it traditional.
Walther PPK for "close up work and concealment"
Walther P99 for "heavy work"
Craig has demostrated both well
JD needs to have some link to the past even if he completely updates character.

#63 Major

Major

Recruit

• Crew
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 02:08 AM

Too much thought is going into this, and too many people are trying to "pimp" their favourite/personal sidearm.

These are times of austerity for the UK Government, budgets are being slashed all over the country. Most people who carry firearms either carry the Glock 19/17 or a Sig 226, some military still use the Browning but beyond that there is not much else out there.

Even James Bond has a top level budget holder.... And we (the UK gov) get Glocks very cheaply, and if they're good enough to protect the Queen with then 007 would be well served with one.

#64 darkpath

darkpath

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2688 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 06:22 PM

Too much thought is going into this, and too many people are trying to "pimp" their favourite/personal sidearm.

These are times of austerity for the UK Government, budgets are being slashed all over the country. Most people who carry firearms either carry the Glock 19/17 or a Sig 226, some military still use the Browning but beyond that there is not much else out there.

Even James Bond has a top level budget holder.... And we (the UK gov) get Glocks very cheaply, and if they're good enough to protect the Queen with then 007 would be well served with one.

While I don't have much against the Glock, I think that the 19, or the 26 are more suitable choices than the 17. That being said, I still, on technical reasons, think that the 22, 23, 24, 27, and 35 would serve him better by letting him use a single, subsonic cartridge, for use when he needs to use a suppressor. The movies may not care that 9X19 in all but 147gr is supersonic; but I sure do notice. Additionally, I've never seen a 147gr 9mm load that shoots to the same point of aim as a 115gr or 124gr.

#65 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 05:18 PM

From the official trailer. Can anyone glean what kind of gun this is? Might it be the Carte Blanche gun?

Attached Files

#66 Dustin

Dustin

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5786 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 05:25 PM

SIG Sauer. A Swiss gun. Can't tell the exact model.

#67 darkpath

darkpath

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2688 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 06:42 PM

I agree, and I can't place the model either; but it appears to be one of the newer models, rather than one of the older models with a stamped slide.

#68 OmarB

OmarB

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1151 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 07:45 PM

That's a P220 if I've ever seen one.

#69 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 11:47 PM

That's a P220 if I've ever seen one.

I concur. Probably chambered in .380 or full 9mm.

The P220 is styled after the Browning HP short.

#70 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 05:31 AM

Might it be the Carte Blanche gun?

I'd say it's unlikely, since the guy holding it isn't actually playing Bond.

#71 TheREAL008

TheREAL008

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1190 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 04:14 PM

Agreed. This was just a promo video for the book and nothing more. If Deaver put Bond back in a Bentley, there's nothing to say that he hasn't given Bond a Bretta as well.

#72 billy007

billy007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 162 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 04:26 AM

With respect to all, I just remembered something.
Bond wore the Beretta under his "dinner jacket" in CR and had the "long barreled .45" in his Bentley chasing after Vesper, however HE DID NOT SHOOT ONE ROUND IN THE ENTIRE NOVEL.
Could this happen again?
A previous post mentioned that members were listing their favorite/personal firearmss for Bond's new wapon, he has already used mine the Smith and Wesson Model 10 .38 Special used b PB in Die Another Day

#73 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 02:50 PM

Today we have our answer...

This is James Bond's new gun

#74 Navy007Fan

Navy007Fan

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 07:16 PM

Today we have our answer...

This is James Bond's new gun

HA! I knew it!!! Finally guessed one of these things correctly!

#75 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 09:51 PM

Okay..That's wild.

At the range just two days ago, doing my personal monthly with my own Browning, PPK and ASP, I was showed this and took it as a rental to try it out. I was impressed.

IMO, it's a fine weapon. Very easy to control, light in weight, accurate.

I can't believe now that I put four clips through it just a few days ago. May have to think about obtaining one. A fine pistol.

:tup:

#76 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 12:24 AM

Good choice. Unique to this version of Bond, retains the Walther name and is more concealable than the P99.

#77 darkpath

darkpath

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2688 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 12:31 AM

Okay..That's wild.

At the range just two days ago, doing my personal monthly with my own Browning, PPK and ASP, I was showed this and took it as a rental to try it out. I was impressed.

IMO, it's a fine weapon. Very easy to control, light in weight, accurate.

I can't believe now that I put four clips through it just a few days ago. May have to think about obtaining one. A fine pistol.

:tup:

Bryce, how would you put it up against the ergonomics as far as overall handling, paintability, and controls (esp. trigger feel) of the ASP?

#78 Jeff007

Jeff007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2076 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 02:12 AM

I've never shot the Walther PPS but I'm happy to hear this news. Bring on the book's release date.

#79 Jeff007

Jeff007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2076 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 02:24 AM

Nice video to get to know Bond's new gun:

#80 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 03:03 AM

Great. Thanks Jeff.

#81 Triton

Triton

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2056 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 10:24 PM

I also hope that this new Walther is given to Daniel Craig in Bond 23 replacing the P99.