SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 07:56 AM

Update from Deadline :
http://www.deadline....cember-21-2011/

"The studio continues talking with Daniel Craig to play publisher Mikael Blomkvist, but sources tell me there's a scheduling problem for him involving the long delayed next Bond pic and Cowboys & Aliens."

I don't think they have to worry about a Bond scheduling conflict anytime soon :S

maybe (hopefully) they know something we don't know

I´d love this to be the case. Maybe it´s no coincidence that Wilson said they will bring a new Bond picture soon?

#32 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 08:11 AM

Update from Deadline :
http://www.deadline....cember-21-2011/

"The studio continues talking with Daniel Craig to play publisher Mikael Blomkvist, but sources tell me there's a scheduling problem for him involving the long delayed next Bond pic and Cowboys & Aliens."

I don't think they have to worry about a Bond scheduling conflict anytime soon :S

maybe (hopefully) they know something we don't know

I´d love this to be the case. Maybe it´s no coincidence that Wilson said they will bring a new Bond picture soon?

And the studio in question is Sony, so they would definitely know more than most about what's going on with MGM. If you look at a different article I linked to above, it's a 7 month shoot from August to February. So if we hear that Craig is unable to do it because of a "scheduling conflict", it could mean something. Or nothing ;)

#33 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 08:52 PM

Done deal, Craig is on board :

http://www.deadline....too/#more-56793

#34 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 09:06 PM

I read that he's filming DRAGON TATTOO straight after he finishes COWBOYS AND ALIENS. Anyone know when this will be?

#35 Germanlady

Germanlady

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1381 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 09:09 PM

I read that he's filming DRAGON TATTOO straight after he finishes COWBOYS AND ALIENS. Anyone know when this will be?

First of all - CONGRATS to DC. This is [censored]ing awesome - he surely did it HIS way.

They go to sound stage for C&A in September - so I guess Dragon starts in October

#36 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 09:26 PM

You know, this could mean that Craig will be doing FOUR potential franchises/series of films at once : Bond, the Dragon Tattoo trilogy, Cowboys and Aliens, and Tintin. I don't think he's going to be starving anytime soon :)

#37 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 09:29 PM

Plus, Bond has CLEARLY not harmed his career. So I really do think he'll stick around for quite a while. :tup:

I HOPE he does as many as Moore did, or more! :D

#38 bond 16.05.72

bond 16.05.72

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1068 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 07:57 AM

Having seen the original and read the book I'm sceptical about this but with Fincher directing and Craig signed on I'm allot more confident this could be a case of a U.S remake that does the original proud, the Swedish original is a fine film but cuts quite allot of the back story back to concentrate on the Blomvist & Salander relationship, so it will be interesting to see if Fincher goes for more a faithful version of the book or cuts to chase like the original.

He's not know for making short films so who knows, Craig is definetly a great fit for Blomvist to think Brad Pitt was being considering as well, the next thing is casting Lisbeth Salander, Noomi Rapace is incredible in the original she will be a tough act to follow.

#39 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 09:00 AM

Daniel Craig in a David Fincher film - tremendous. Guess I’m going to have to get with the times and read the novel now.

#40 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 10:16 AM

Guess I’m going to have to get with the times and read the novel now.

It's brilliant. It might be a little difficult to begin with, because the first thirty pages or so discuss Swedish foreign and economic policy in the early 1990s, but once you skip that and get down to business, it's a really good noir tale. It's an interesting riff on the whole "A man is in a locked room with no windows - so how did he die?" concept: Craig's character, Michael Blomqvist (though I wouldn't be surprised if this version of the film is brought to America the way Nolan took the original version of INSOMNIA and moved it from norway to Alaska) is a journalist facing a prison sentence for committing libel. He gets contracted by an eccentric billionaire to write the man's family history, but quickly finds this is just a cover to solve a forty year-old cold case. There's no forensics or that sort of stuff: just good old-fashioned police work and a cast of interesting characters.

#41 bond 16.05.72

bond 16.05.72

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1068 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 12:23 PM

Guess I’m going to have to get with the times and read the novel now.

It's brilliant. It might be a little difficult to begin with, because the first thirty pages or so discuss Swedish foreign and economic policy in the early 1990s, but once you skip that and get down to business, it's a really good noir tale. It's an interesting riff on the whole "A man is in a locked room with no windows - so how did he die?" concept: Craig's character, Michael Blomqvist (though I wouldn't be surprised if this version of the film is brought to America the way Nolan took the original version of INSOMNIA and moved it from norway to Alaska) is a journalist facing a prison sentence for committing libel. He gets contracted by an eccentric billionaire to write the man's family history, but quickly finds this is just a cover to solve a forty year-old cold case. There's no forensics or that sort of stuff: just good old-fashioned police work and a cast of interesting characters.

I couldn't recommend it anymore a great riveting read and the accliamed swedish film is worth a look as well, just started the 2nd book The Girl Who Played With Fire.

At last DC is getting the roles his talent deserves and working with one of my favourite directors as well, I can't imagine Fincher would attach to this unless he saw more than just a bog standard remake, I'm intrigued to what he's ll do with this, apparently he has asked actresses auditioning for Salander to work on their swedish accents so it might still be set in Sweden, I'm sure more will be revealed soon enough. The follow up films are not meant to measure up to the original so maybe the U.S remakes will be able to address that, The Girl Who Played With Fire has just opened in America and gets released in the UK next month.

#42 blueman

blueman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2219 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 05:46 PM

Good for Craig! Guess he isn't expecting MGM to green light 23 for quite a few months yet, shame for that but glad he's moving forward with his career. Saw the first film, Rapace was tremendous but the mystery part of the film came across as pretty dull. Fincher should be able to improve on that.

#43 Gogol Pushkin

Gogol Pushkin

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 164 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 06:45 PM

I think Craig will be a great fit for Blomqvist and I can only hope they make a great choice for Lisbeth. I wonder whether or not Fincher will be allowed to retain the more seedier aspects of the story, mainly Lisbeth's confrontation with her guardian/parole officer.

#44 bond 16.05.72

bond 16.05.72

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1068 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 07:54 AM

I think Craig will be a great fit for Blomqvist and I can only hope they make a great choice for Lisbeth. I wonder whether or not Fincher will be allowed to retain the more seedier aspects of the story, mainly Lisbeth's confrontation with her guardian/parole officer.

Sony say they have all intention of making as dark as the book and there is no point in doing it if they don't, if Fincher wasn't attached and it was some director for hire type I'd dimisss this as not worth it but as I said in my post above he's not the kind of director who'd sign on to make some generic remake but I guess we'll see, Sony's Amy Pascal said she'd like Fincher to do all 3 if the 1st one is successful and so would Fincher like to if possible as well. Craig will be a good fit for Kalle.

#45 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 08:49 AM

If they're going to make all three, hopefully they'll fix up the second two. Whilst THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO was excellent, THE GIRL WHO PLAYED WITH FIRE and THE GIRL WHO KICKED THE HORNET'S NEST wandered a bit too much and I do admit I got lost at times. If they simplified the story, synthesised the two books together to tell it as one and kept the giant conspiracy in place, they could make a real cracker of a film.

I also think Larsson ruined Salander a little in the sequels by making her bisexual and giving her breast implants and the stuff. She went from interesting character to Hollywood Lesbian.

#46 Cody

Cody

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1393 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 05:36 PM

Stellan Skarsgard is in talks and giving schedule/location details:

Skarsgard would play Martin Vanger, one of the principal suspects in the 40-year-old disappearance of a teenage girl. In the Swedish film, the part was played by Peter Haber.

"I have met Fincher, I want to work with him, he wants to work me. I have had a concrete offer and now we are in negotiations," Skarsgard told Variety.

"The contract is for the period September to March, but I don't know yet when I am supposed to start my part of the film.

"Most of it is to be shot in Stockholm, but some studio work will be done in the U.S. I think there might be some location work there as well, when it becomes too dark to shoot here."

#47 Ambler

Ambler

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 09:47 PM

Stieg Larsson was a a talentless hack who had about as much literary style as Dan Brown. The only reason his work is better reviewed is because of the feminist fantasy that is Lisbeth Salander.

#48 Cody

Cody

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1393 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 01:09 AM

If Craig is filming until March, that would seem to wipe out any "best case" dreams of Bond 23 making a 2011 release.

#49 killkenny kid

killkenny kid

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6607 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 03:15 AM

Daniel Craig in a David Fincher film - tremendous. Guess I’m going to have to get with the times and read the novel now.

Same here my friend.

#50 Germanlady

Germanlady

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1381 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 04:48 AM

I read the article, where the swedish actor is talking of a timeline from Sept till March, but...6 months for this? Bond takes 6 months with all the action and location hopping. Those, who saw the film know, its not about locations, its not about action - so, what could possibly take 6 months to shoot? I don't say, its not true, just wondering.

As a whole, VERY excited for DC to the extend, that I am happy about the delay of Bond. Bond will come, but he couldn't have done this with it staying in the framed timeline.

Edited by Germanlady, 06 August 2010 - 04:49 AM.

#51 bond 16.05.72

bond 16.05.72

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1068 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 06:52 AM

Stieg Larsson was a a talentless hack who had about as much literary style as Dan Brown. The only reason his work is better reviewed is because of the feminist fantasy that is Lisbeth Salander.

Bog off Ambler, you are so up your own [censored] it's unbelievable! You can't help but go against the grain just for the sake of it, yeah all of us who read the GWDT and loved it are unknowing sheep fooled into thinking they just read a good book.

#52 Ambler

Ambler

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 10:54 AM

Bog off Ambler, you are so up your own [censored] it's unbelievable! You can't help but go against the grain just for the sake of it, yeah all of us who read the GWDT and loved it are unknowing sheep fooled into thinking they just read a good book.

I'm hardly the only man in publishing who thinks Larsson's writing is appalling. See The Girl Who Deserves To Escape Her Author.

#53 bond 16.05.72

bond 16.05.72

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1068 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 07:36 PM

I'm hardly the only man in publishing who thinks Larsson's writing is appalling. See The Girl Who Deserves To Escape Her Author.

I don't care just because some pretentious types like yourself don't like it, is going to change my mind No! We see thing very differently as I can see from the nonsence you spouted in my Wire thread.

I wonder who of your old MI6 buddys will just to your defense first?

#54 Germanlady

Germanlady

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1381 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 08:54 PM

I don't care just because some pretentious types like yourself don't like it, is going to change my mind No! We see thing very differently as I can see from the nonsence you spouted in my Wire thread.

I doubt anybody will - he/she was annoying back then and nothing has changed. As far as I remember it, he/she switched to Craignotbond board. That says it all...

#55 Ambler

Ambler

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 10:53 PM

We see thing very differently as I can see from the nonsence you spouted in my Wire thread.

I'm having a discussion about good and bad writing with someone who can't spell 'nonsense' or the possessive of 'it'. Hey ho.

For the record, Herr Germanlady, I am not nor have I ever been a member of Craignotbond GmbH. I'm not a malicious man and I will strike down the first person who says that I am.

Edited by Ambler, 07 August 2010 - 11:05 PM.

#56 Germanlady

Germanlady

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1381 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 07:59 AM

We see thing very differently as I can see from the nonsence you spouted in my Wire thread.

I'm having a discussion about good and bad writing with someone who can't spell 'nonsense' or the possessive of 'it'. Hey ho.

For the record, Herr Germanlady, I am not nor have I ever been a member of Craignotbond GmbH. I'm not a malicious man and I will strike down the first person who says that I am.

There could be two Amblers around, of course.. ;)
BTW - striking down a person for saying something you don't like, doesn't sound overly friendly, though. B)

Edited by Germanlady, 08 August 2010 - 01:50 PM.

#57 Ambler

Ambler

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 03:34 PM

BTW - striking down a person for saying something you don't like, doesn't sound overly friendly, though. B)

It's a quote from a comedy by Julia Davis. She has an English sense of humour.

#58 Emma

Emma

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 11:34 PM

I just wonder how Craig's decision to go on with his film career will impact the filming of the next Bond film when they are ready?

Why does one have to be considered 'pretentious' if they don't like a book? I read several genres of literature (yes including Dan Brown). And I didn't like GWTDT. Sure I read the whole thing. But most of it seemed to be just there for shock value, or an excuse for the wrtiter to live out his heterosexual male fantasies, In that every woman whom Mikael came across couldn't wait to lie on her back for him. Half way through I came up with two possible conclusions. And one of them panned out, there really was no surprise. I loved the Swedish version of the film, because it was much more streamlined. I hope that they take this tack with US film version.

Edited by Emma, 09 August 2010 - 03:00 PM.

#59 dodge

dodge

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5068 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 02:38 PM

A hack is, by definition, someone who writes without a thought in his head about quality or style, only the making of money. Larsson completed all three books for love, never believing that they'd ever see print. GWTDT certainly shares some flaws in common with many first novels and is said to have benefitted greatly from editorial assistance. The second, reportedly, was still being edited when SL died. The third, appareently, was published as he wrote it. For my money, he was definitely growing as he goed. Even so, no, he was no great stylist. But he writes in the plain style quite well and he did succeed in creating one awesome female character and an interesting enough male lead, plus story lines that kept me at any rate tearing through the pages. And in commercial fiction, it's the story after all. Alexander Dumas was the world's greatest, or worst, hack--but The Count of Monte Cristo still holds readers in its thrall...though it takes hundreds of pages for the good Count to appear.

Anyway, for a commercial writer who really could blend terrific style and story, I don't think anyone so far's touched the hem of Lawrence Sanders' mantle.

P.s.: Anybody out there read GONE WITH THE WIND for its style? Or any Sherlock Holmes tale?

#60 bond 16.05.72

bond 16.05.72

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1068 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 07:47 PM

A hack is, by definition, someone who writes without a thought in his head about quality or style, only the making of money. Larsson completed all three books for love, never believing that they'd ever see print. GWTDY certainly shares some flaws in common with many first novels and is said to have benefitted greatly from editorial assistance. The second, reportedly, was still being edited when SL died. The third, appareently, was published as he wrote it. For my money, he was definitely growing as he goed. Even so, no, he was no great stylist. But he writes in the plain style quite well and he did succeed in creating one awesome female character and an interesting enough male lead, plus story lines that kept me at any rate tearing through the pages. And in commercial fiction, it's the story after all. Alexander Dumas was the world's greatest, or worst, hack--but The Count of Monte Cristo still holds readers in its thrall...though it takes hundreds of pages for the good Count to appear.

Anyway, for a commercial writer who really could blend terrific style and story, I don't think anyone so far's touched the hem of Lawrence Sanders' mantle.

P.s.: Anybody out there read GONE WITH THE WIND for its style? Or any Sherlock Holmes tale?

Yeah it always makes me laugh that the likes of Ambler are calling him a talentless hack, if he was talentless he wouldn't have been able to construct such a gripping page turner, I look forward with baited breath to Ambler's debut novel, armchair critics are the worse, it's like these muppets saying Inception is rubbish I'd like to see their efforts and see if they think it's easy to make such a film, we'd find out who were the talentless hacks then.

Plus GWTDT was widely acclaimed as were it's sequels so those who want to pull down it's with some elitist snobbery is pretentious to the max, it's been extremely popular with people and I wouldn't dare put in the same area as Brown's fluffy nonsense.