63 replies to this topic

#31 elizabeth

elizabeth

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2285 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 09:28 PM

INDIANA JONES AND THE LAST CRUSADE. Haven't seen it in forever, hopefully will watch it tonight.

"You were named after a dog!"

#32 Aris007

Aris007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3037 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 03:14 PM

I believe that "Finding Forester" is my favourite film, but as for Connery's performance I'll go with "The Untouchables".

#33 Slight Inferiority Complex

Slight Inferiority Complex

Cadet

• Crew
  • 18 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 11:00 PM

You are all mad. Mad! What about The League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen?

Okay calm down, I'm only joking.

#34 Gogol Pushkin

Gogol Pushkin

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 164 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 06:12 PM

THE UNTOUCHABLES. Always been a big fan of old-fashioned gangster movies.

Yeah, it is my fav too. The speed at which the film runs, and Connery's performance, are just awesome B)

Connery is fantastic in that film, but is all adds up to a fantastic package overall. De Palma's direction, Mamet's script, Morricone's music, Costner at his peak, De Niro in Method mode, the shootout in the train station and of course Sean himself. Quite simply it is a wonderful film.

#35 bondrules

bondrules

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2190 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 07:19 PM

Indy 3.
The Rock.
Untouchables.

#36 Gogol Pushkin

Gogol Pushkin

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 164 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 10:02 PM

Indy 3.
The Rock.
Untouchables.

I love The Rock. The whole Prom Queen speech is classic.

#37 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 08 July 2010 - 10:52 PM

I'm not sure about favourite here, but one of Connery's most impressive, and disturbing performances was in a film made after DAF called "The Offence". I remember watching it on TV years ago and being impressed by Connery's portrayal of a policeman interrogating a suspected sex offender, but disturbed as it seemed that his character had more in common with the suspect than he would have cared to admit. At least, that was my interpretation of it.

#38 Gogol Pushkin

Gogol Pushkin

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 164 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 10:58 PM

I'm not sure about favourite here, but one of Connery's most impressive, and disturbing performances was in a film made after DAF called "The Offence". I remember watching it on TV years ago and being impressed by Connery's portrayal of a policeman interrogating a suspected sex offender, but disturbed as it seemed that his character had more in common with the suspect than he would have cared to admit. At least, that was my interpretation of it.

I never had the chance to see it myself, but from what I've read The Offence was one of the movies Sean got to make out of his deal with United Artists to return to Bond in Diamonds are Forever.

#39 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 11:01 PM

Mine would be:

- The Hill
- The Man Who Would Be King
- Marnie
- The Hunt for Red October
- Russia House

Just to name a few.

#40 Gogol Pushkin

Gogol Pushkin

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 164 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 04:44 PM

Mine would be:

- The Hill
- The Man Who Would Be King
- Marnie
- The Hunt for Red October
- Russia House

Just to name a few.

How could I forget about Red October. Awesome movie that.

#41 volante

volante

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1926 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 04:54 PM

Yes, The Man that would be King - What a great film that was.
But taking everything in to consideration I'd have to go for

Highlander.
The Rock.
Untouchables.

#42 Gogol Pushkin

Gogol Pushkin

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 164 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 11:19 PM

Yes, The Man that would be King - What a great film that was.
But taking everything in to consideration I'd have to go for

Highlander.

Highlander? Another one I forgot. How come I'm forgetting all about these great Connery movies. I remember seeing it at young age and it's always stayed with me, one of those great, adult 80's genre pictures that never die. Kinda like the lead characters in a way.

#43 Colossus

Colossus

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1490 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 11:58 PM

^^^yes and also Outland was so good, and even loved NSNA. I think i even prefer 80s Connery over 70s Connery (havent seen The Man Who Would Be King though) because i like how he came back into the genre movie since his 60s heyday which was big in the 80s which he just fits better with, a more adventurous decade with a close similarity to the 60s.

#44 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 01:15 AM

The Offence is another great Connery film I missed out. Funny how arguably his two greatest performances, are in Sidney Lumet films? The Hill and The Offence.

Despite Connery being in it, I refuse to bring up The Rock. Oh damn! I just did.

#45 bondrules

bondrules

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2190 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 04:04 AM

Speaking of Entrapment, why is it that Connery won't knock boots with Zeta Jones? I never got that cleared up. He either didn't want to bag a much younger woman or most likely he couldn't get it up. Anyone here with an opinion?

Indy 3.
The Rock.
Untouchables.

I love The Rock. The whole Prom Queen speech is classic.

My favorite thing about The Rock is the constant banter between Cage and Connery.

#46 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 10 July 2010 - 08:19 AM

I never had the chance to see it myself, but from what I've read The Offence was one of the movies Sean got to make out of his deal with United Artists to return to Bond in Diamonds are Forever.

It was indeed, and if you want to see a film about two men in a psychological struggle, it is a good one. Ian Bannen was also outstanding as the sex offender suspect whose responses during interrogation slowly cause Connery's character to crack.

#47 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 08:31 AM

The Offence is another great Connery film I missed out. Funny how arguably his two greatest performances, are in Sidney Lumet films? The Hill and The Offence.

Despite Connery being in it, I refuse to bring up The Rock. Oh damn! I just did.

I agree about The Hill and The Offence, both outstanding Connery performances. Incidentally, John Hopkins, who co-wrote the Thunderball screenplay, also wrote the script for The Offence. Then again, Hopkins also wrote scripts for TV police dramas such as Z-Cars, so he had experience of writing about detectives.

As for The Rock, actually I thought the best performance in that movie - in a film not exactly renowned for being an actor's movie - was by Ed Harris as the rogue US Marine General. If you weren't aware that he and his sidekicks were about to flood San Fransisco with poison gas, you would have thought his character was almost honorable, doing the wrong thing for the "right reasons". That makes for more interesting screen villainy than out and out black-hearted types, I think.

#48 Gogol Pushkin

Gogol Pushkin

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 164 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 11:13 AM

As for The Rock, actually I thought the best performance in that movie - in a film not exactly renowned for being an actor's movie - was by Ed Harris as the rogue US Marine General. If you weren't aware that he and his sidekicks were about to flood San Fransisco with poison gas, you would have thought his character was almost honorable, doing the wrong thing for the "right reasons". That makes for more interesting screen villainy than out and out black-hearted types, I think.

Even though I am not a big fan of Michael Bay (Transformers 2 should be buried in a big hole and then concreted so it can never inflict it's horror on anyone again), I have to say I am a big fan of The Rock, whilst it is guilty of some of the things that Bay can be accused of, it doesn't feel as overbearing and I think it helps that the script is a bit more up to par and as you've said Guy features an interesting villain, backed up by a great pairing with wonderful chemistry in the shape of Connery and Cage.

#49 Hotwinds

Hotwinds

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 441 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 08:55 PM

At the moment I am watching Entrapment since I just purchased the DVD.
The more I watch it the more I like it.
The director cleared a few things up for me on the comentary about all the twists and turns as this film had so many subtle ones.
Sean looks great and if I was in charge I would have made it a little bigger which was the original plan but ole Sean put a stop to that from what I remember reading.
What if James Bond became a thief after he escaped from The Rock??
The movie was a success and made more than twice what it cost but they could have made it a blockbuster if they wanted to IMO

#50 elizabeth

elizabeth

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2285 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 09:46 PM

I recently watched TIME BANDITS. Couldn't pick Sean out in this one, though DirecTV said he was in the film...

#51 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 11:21 PM

I recently watched TIME BANDITS. Couldn't pick Sean out in this one, though DirecTV said he was in the film...

He was in it - Agamemnon, I think he played. However, my favourites in Time Bandits were David Warner as the evil genius (a minion asks him something, he turns around and zaps him to a frazzled crisp, then calmly continues "That's a good question"), and John Cleese as Robin Hood (Cleese said he was asked to play him in the style of a member of the British Royal Family, specifically the Duke of Kent - when he's shaking hands with the dwarves, for example - "And tell me, what's your name?" - "Four foot two" - " Jolly, jolly good!" B) )

#52 Mike00spy

Mike00spy

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 12:29 AM

Darby O'Gill is currently showing on the Hallmark Channel. I'm disappointed that they've dubbed some of the voices of the main actors...I guess they dubbed the Irish accents too hard to understand.

I don't remember that being a problem on the DVD. I think it might be a TV decision.

#53 bondrules

bondrules

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2190 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 03:54 AM

In Entrapment, Zeta Jones was hot as hell, and was asking for it. Mac, the character Sean played shut her down. Why didn't he tap that ? didn't wanna be a dirty old man; was gay, or was he lacking viagara? There is no other viable explanation.

#54 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 05:39 AM

Sean Connery as a homosexual is a mathematical impossibility. Scotland would have to be wiped from the map before that.

#55 elizabeth

elizabeth

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2285 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 02:58 PM

Sean Connery as a homosexual is a mathematical impossibility. Scotland would have to be wiped from the map before that.

And the entire Bond series would have to not exist.

#56 ChristopherZ22

ChristopherZ22

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 103 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 10:22 PM

I enjoyed The Man Who Would Be King, The Anderson Tapes, The Untouchables, and Finding Forrester.

#57 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 10:33 PM

THE ROCK is currently on BBC One in the UK. That's one helluva haircut Connery is rocking.

#58 bondrules

bondrules

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2190 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 12:11 AM

THE ROCK is currently on BBC One in the UK. That's one helluva haircut Connery is rocking.

It's a grunge thing. :cooltongue:

#59 ConnerysToupee1983

ConnerysToupee1983

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 44 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 10:36 PM

Not that I'm really adding anything new, but my favorite Non-Bond Connery's are:

10. Marnie
9. The Anderson Tapes
8. Zardoz
7. The Man Who Would Be King
6. Murder on the Orient Express
5. In the Name of the Rose
4. Wrong is Right
3. Highlander
2. Rising Sun
1. The Offence

I also have a soft spot in my heart for the abysmal 'Meteor' and 'Highlander II: The Quickening.' But more so the former than the latter.

Edited by ConnerysToupee1983, 24 July 2010 - 10:38 PM.

#60 onedotshort

onedotshort

Cadet

• Crew
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 11:56 AM

Loved League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
Only watched Robin and Marion for Sean (Never liked Gere much - untill I saw him dance in Chicago, and Dance with Me!)
Loved the 'Dad-ness' in him in Presidio (wished he could me MY dad!).
Soooooo hot in Entrapment.
AbsoLUTELY loved him in Indianna Jones.
And although no one else here seems to rate it (maybe its just the 'old sap' in me) but I loved him in Medicine Man!