This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Who would you like to play the Villian in a future film?

96 replies to this topic

#31 Bondesque

Bondesque

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 428 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 10:27 PM

Spacey is a bit too over the top for me. He tends to ham it up in such roles (Superman retruns as an example).

I would hope for Daniel Day Lewis, Ian McShane or Ray Winstone! A far left field choice who would possibly do a great job would be Mel Gibson.

#32 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 08 June 2010 - 10:48 PM

Kevin Spacey. What a damn good actor he is!

I agree. And I think he would do it.

#33 PotterBond007

PotterBond007

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 49 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 06:28 AM

I think Jason Isaccs would make a good Bond villian. Or Mickey Rourke. I think he was a decent baddie in Iron Man 2.

#34 whiteskwirl

whiteskwirl

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 163 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 06:30 AM

Benicio del Toro would be good.

#35 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 14 June 2010 - 06:57 AM

I think Jason Isaccs would make a good Bond villian. Or Mickey Rourke. I think he was a decent baddie in Iron Man 2.

I agree about Jason Isaacs. Another one in the grand tradition of British screen villainy.

#36 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 07:05 AM

Benicio del Toro would be good.

True, and there's no reason why he couldn't be re-cast in another role. They've done it before (Charles Gray, Maud Adams, Joe Don Baker, to name but three). Plus, it would add something to a Bond film to cast another Oscar winner as a villain.

Another actor from the Dalton era was Art Malik - another one who has played villains before. If it hadn't been for the re-boot of Bond, he could have been brought back as Kamran Shah - but on the opposite side to 007.

It would, after all, have been art imitating life. Think about it. B)

#37 volante

volante

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1926 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 07:34 AM

I was just thinking: if Alec Guinness were still alive and young, he would've made a great Bond villain, don't you think? I think so. Something about him just gives off a villainous vibe.

Posted Image

I agree, but he made an even better MI5 spymaster in the BBC adaptations of John Le Carre's "Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy" and "Smiley's People".

One actor I would have liked to have seen as a Bond villain - and sadly, no longer with us - was Ian Richardson. He was also in "Tinker, Tailor" and in the BBC political-thriller/satire "House Of Cards". He played one of my all time favourite TV villains, Prime Minister Francis Urquhart - a man not averse to cold blooded murder to gain the keys to 10 Downing Street. Ian Richardson would have made a great, suave, cerebral Bond adversary.

And "Urquhart" had a catchphrase which has sometimes carried over into real life political discourse in the UK. When prompted to admit something by the press, but not wishing to do so, he would reply "You might very well think that. I, of course, could not possibly comment!"

I've occasionally used that line myself! B)

House of Cards was recently shown on an obscure British satalitte TV channel.
I watched every episode in awe.

Richardson would have been brilliant in Bond; as M or villian.

I think as Bond goes into more "real" story lines the major villian will become more covert; with a henchman of real menace.

#38 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 03:26 PM

I've got "House Of Cards" and its two sequels on DVD. Brilliant stuff, I think. And I even had cause to use Urquhart's catchphrase again this week! B) (I don't think the student in my class appreciated where it came from, but he found it funny).

I've just read an article about Steven Berkoff, in which he says he would love to make a return to the Bond series as a villain, starring opposite Daniel Craig.

Berkoff made an impressive Soviet madman in OP. Why not sign him up again in a different villainous role?

#39 PotterBond007

PotterBond007

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 49 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 07:14 AM

Someone mentioned Alan Rickman. I agree. I think he would be a very good Bond Baddie. More so if he uses some of his Snape coldness and cruelty, and the way he talks all slow like he does. Or maybe Hugo Weaving. He's had some evil roles. Here's a funny one, how about Arnold Schwartzenneger? That would be hilarious. Then again, he might surprise everyone and be a really good Bond Villain. You never know. . .

Edited by PotterBond007, 20 June 2010 - 07:17 AM.

#40 brunoman

brunoman

Cadet

• Crew
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 08:20 AM

Viggo Mortensen would be a good choice to play the villian. He gave a great performance as a russian mobster in the movie Eastern Promises and was even nominated for a academy award for best actor for that role.

#41 Georgiboy

Georgiboy

Cadet

• Crew
  • 16 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 09:17 AM

James Woods would be my number one pick as well. Others could be:
Christoph Waltz (As said before)
Gary Oldman (Maybe another 006 type character)
Liam Neeson (He's pretty badass in everything he does)

#42 Messervy

Messervy

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1369 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 05:04 PM

Obviously, it all depends on the script. Say Bond Villain is one of his bosses turned traitor, say he's the head of Quantum, say he's from Asia, etc. Then you'll get the cast in accordance with that character.

Anyhow, thinking out of the box, I'd say, if we're going for famous ones: Al Pacino, Ralph Fienes, James Woods.

But if we're going for my own secret wish: Dalton.

#43 Carver

Carver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1470 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 11:26 PM

Seriously, nobody has mentioned Vinnie Jones? He'd be the ultimate villain B)
Personally, I've always wanted to see Sir Anthony Hopkins in a Bond film. He'd be brilliant as either Bond's boss or his adversary, fantastic actor.

#44 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 04:36 AM

David Warner.

He'd be a great M,, too.

#45 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 10:56 AM

David Warner.

He'd be a great M,, too.

I agree with you, Shark. And he is yet another actor quoted as wanting to play a Bond villain role too. Funny, though, how the ones who want it very often don't get it. Can't understand why that should be - better, surely, to sign someone who is up for the part, than some big name, or distinguished theatrical type who is just doing the role to add a bit more to his/her C.V?

#46 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 05:35 PM

Seriously, nobody has mentioned Vinnie Jones? He'd be the ultimate villain B)
Personally, I've always wanted to see Sir Anthony Hopkins in a Bond film. He'd be brilliant as either Bond's boss or his adversary, fantastic actor.

Vinnie Jones - as a henchman, yes. Sir Anthony Hopkins - well, he was the tabloid press default choice as the "next Bond bad guy" all through the 1990s. Every round of early press speculation about the Brosnan movies floated Hopkins as the next adversary. He would still be a great choice as a Bond villain now.

In fact, as I understand it, Hopkins was offered the Elliot Carver role in TND, but turned it down. I wonder why?

#47 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 10:24 PM

Two more to add to the list - whether they would want to, who knows?

Ben Kingsley - a fine actor, has played villains before, and has a suitably exotic look about him. And that Oscar would add a certain kudos.

Malcolm McDowell - I could never understand why he wasn't signed during the 1980s and 1990s eras of the Bond films. He has (had?) that sneering upper class English act down to a tee. I'm English, but unlike some who write in the UK press, I don't get indignant that Hollywood continually casts English actors as villains. The fact is that villainy, for whatever reasons, is something English actors are rather good at.

#48 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 02:51 AM

Ben Kingsley - a fine actor, has played villains before, and has a suitably exotic look about him. And that Oscar would add a certain kudos.

Malcolm McDowell - I could never understand why he wasn't signed during the 1980s and 1990s eras of the Bond films. He has (had?) that sneering upper class English act down to a tee. I'm English, but unlike some who write in the UK press, I don't get indignant that Hollywood continually casts English actors as villains. The fact is that villainy, for whatever reasons, is something English actors are rather good at.

It's probably the more English tradition of theatricality and stage projection, along with our US-UK history in the War of Independence.

#49 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 03:32 AM

These two have already played villains in several blockbuster type movies, so in terms of them playing Bond villains, its a case of been there done that, I'd prefer to see someone new.

James Woods would be my number one pick as well.

The problem here is that Bond could easily defeat him by leaving pieces of candy around to lure him into a trap.

#50 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 03:33 AM

James Woods as Felix Leiter's CIA boss.

#51 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 06:28 AM

It's probably the more English tradition of theatricality and stage projection, along with our US-UK history in the War of Independence.

And the fact that we share a common language, but that our way of pronunciation (and the theatricality you mention) seems to appeal to Hollywood when it comes to casting villains.

These two have already played villains in several blockbuster type movies, so in terms of them playing Bond villains, its a case of been there done that, I'd prefer to see someone new.

James Woods would be my number one pick as well.

The problem here is that Bond could easily defeat him by leaving pieces of candy around to lure him into a trap.

Regarding Sir Ben Kingsley and Malcolm McDowell, there's "blockbuster type movies" and there's Bond. There is still a certain something about taking on 007. Neither has done that yet, and it would be interesting to see them try.

#52 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 10:23 AM

Another British actor suggestion. This actor is well known on both sides of the pond - Damien Lewis.

If Toby Stephens hadn't landed it, Lewis would have been a good choice for the role of Sir Gustav Graves in DAD. He'd be on my ever expanding short list of future Bond villains.

#53 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 10:52 AM

I actually think Damien Lewis would make a far better James Bond.

#54 Orion

Orion

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1579 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 03:29 PM

Ewan McGregor or Mark Strong

#55 darthbond

darthbond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 839 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 04:25 PM

My ideal choices would be Gary Oldman, Ken Watanabe, Mark Strong, David Morse, or Tom Wilkinson.

darthbond

#56 Bondesque

Bondesque

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 428 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 05:00 PM

1. Daniel Day Lewis - If EON landed him he could be an all time great!
2. Ian Mcshane - Had great presence in Deadwood.
3. Cerian Hinds - Was magnificent in Rome.
4. Mel Gibson - Off the wall choice but could be deliciously good.
5. Kennith Brannah - Classic
6. Nick Nolte - Can be very intensely creepy.
7. Morgan Freeman - Wonderful actor. Can pull off anything.

These are my top 7 choices. Obviously they need a great script!

#57 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 05:09 PM

My number one pick is probably Koji Yakusho (EUREKA, BABEL, MEMOIRS OF A GEISHA, TOKYO SONATA).

#58 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 05:27 PM

He'd be perfect.

#59 Bondesque

Bondesque

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 428 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 05:34 PM

Or Ken Watanabe!

#60 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 06:50 PM

Nah, Watanabe would carry baggage from having played Ra's Al Ghul in BATMAN BEGINS. Whereas Yakusho, whom I find a much more interesting actor, has yet to co-star as a villain in a Hollywood film. He'd be a breath of fresh air. Although, truth be told, I think he's a bit too good for the Bond series.